The Packers will go the SB if?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Minus the injury talk I'll say if they can have a top 10 defense. I think with Rodgers throwing and the 1-2 punch of Lacy:Starks the offense will be in top 5. Injuries happen but the one other thing holding us back is the inconsistency on the defense. It's no accident that 2010 had a pretty good defense and we won it all. I don't consider the Seahawks or Niners offensive juggernauts but it's likely we will have to go through 1 or even both to get what we all want. I'll take our offense over either one but for some reason we make Kap look all world when we at the Niners. It's annoying.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will go to the Super Bowl if we win enough games in the regular season to make the playoffs, win enough games in the playoffs to advance to the NFC Championship game, and then win the NFC Championship game. Only then will the Packers go to the Super Bowl.

Hope this helps.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Injuries or lack thereof. This team has an outstanding offense that when mostly healthy can carry almost any defense into the SB. Healthy Rodgers, Cobb, Finley, Bulaga, Matthews and Hayward last year would have probably been enough to get it done in the playoffs. I know the 1st two played but I don't think they had returned to mid season form for the playoffs yet.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will go to the Super Bowl if we win enough games in the regular season to make the playoffs, win enough games in the playoffs to advance to the NFC Championship game, and then win the NFC Championship game. Only then will the Packers go to the Super Bowl.

Hope this helps.
Interesting theory. I decided to run some numbers to determine the veracity of your hypothesis. Surprisingly, I came up with a 100% correlation in my analysis.

Good job!

My response would have been more along the lines of an average level of safety play; another impact player somewhere on defense; and luck with injuries and we will be a very good defense. Look for one or more of these players to provide a boost with better play this coming season: Datone Jones; Nick Perry; Julius Peppers; Hyde at safety and Daniels.

Last edited:

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If our defense plays well all year. Simple as that really. Our offense is most likely the best in Football. But our defense needs to start playing Championship Caliber defense.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews and Rodgers must stay healthy, Hyde turns into an average safety, Jones becomes an above average defensive end (not great, just above average), Perry improves his mental approach to the game and our first year center needs to not play like a first year center (unfair I know, but that's the position Thompson put him in)...those things happen and we have a good chance at the title (I only mentioned specific players that must stay healthy but obviously the team needs to avoid a bunch of injuries otherwise).

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Assuming we stay relatively healthy - no major losses, then it all comes down to Dom Capers.

The obvious weak link is the defense. Everyone gives Capers a pass b/c of injuries, but I don't buy that. Even with a full complement of healthy players Capers is very much a hot and cold DC. His game plans are as likely to be garbage as they are to be lights out.

Some of the turds he's laid in his time in GB are inexcusable. The SF debacle, the Arizona debacle, the league worst pass defense in '11, that God-awful 2-4 defense, the mind-numbing breakdowns in the secondary... the list goes on.

He's had a pretty steady track record of getting fired after about 5 years in every spot he's been - and that trend should have continued last year, if not the year before.

Those things said, Capers is perfectly capable of putting together a winning gameplan for any given game - so it all comes down to Capers. If our defense is on the field with the game on the line - I don't like our chances simply b/c Capers is our DC. Will never trust the guy.

That said, as bad as Capers is - I think we have a reasonable shot at going the SB in '14. The team has toughened up over the past couple of seasons - lessons learned on getting repeatedly stomped by more physical teams; so if we can keep playing a tougher brand of football, we might could have a shot.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SAFETY PLAY MUST BE GOOD.

Troy Polamalu, Ed Reed, Nick Collins, Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor, Dashon Goldson.... great defenses these days, and Super Bowl teams, USUALLY have great play at safety.

Our safeties were ATROCIOUS last year as we all know.
Our eyes saw it, and the stats we saw from PFF were worse than we thought.

Morgan Burnett, the jury is still out on him.
But the other guys were F's. Failures.
And Teddy didn't bring in a single one via free agency.

So that means he has to draft a GOOD one. Not a Jerron McMillian, MD Jennings. Not a Marviel Underwood.

He needs to find a Harrison Smith, Kenny Vacarro, Earl Thomas, Eric Reid.... for us to go to the Super Bowl, WE NEED A NEW GOOD SAFETY next to Burnett, and need Burnett to play as well as they PAID HIM.

The safeties are the key.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they have a draft like this

1. CJ Mosley ILB
2. Terrence brooks S
3. Justin Ellis DT
3. Fiedo TE
4. Adrian Hubbard OLB
5. Terrence Mitchell CB
5. Run stuffing DE
6. Jalen Saunders WR/KR
7. L'Damian Washington WR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
An upgrade at ILB and S would be a big help. Another WR as well...

Only problem with that is it usually takes a WR and S 2-3 years to get it figured out. TT shocked everyone and signed a couple UFA's this year, but it'll probably be another 8 years before he signs another one.

Rodgers has a decent window of another 3-4 years left... we'll never be a top-flight defensive team, so TT has to get it down sooner rather than later. If we could walk away with 1 more title during Rodgers years, I'd be happy with that.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interceptions. We were pathetic with only 11 last season. Seattle had 28, and we were tied with Seattle with 44 sacks; so it appears much of this is on the defensive backfield, especially the safeties. Since it looks like either an inexperienced Hyde or a rookie will be starting alongside Burnett, I'm not real comfortable there will be a great improvement. But, as MM says, you expect improvements yearly in young players.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But in all seriousness, with 50% of the team injured they barely missed advancing to the NFCC divisional game. This team has the talent, just not the luck lately.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

But in all seriousness, with 50% of the team injured they barely missed advancing to the NFCC game. This team has the talent, just not the luck lately.

It's hard to argue we barely missed the NFC championship game as we didn't even make it to the divisional round.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am going to go ahead and say : We will go to the SB if we WIN THE BATTLE in the TRENCHES. This applies to both sides of the ball. If the O-line can protect Rodgers and give him time and also make large running lanes for Lacy/Starks our offense will be as good as it has ever been. The D-line / linebackers need to be able to get pressure on the QB, force hurried throws, and keep opposing RBs bottled up. I know it sounds cliche, but the trenches is where we will find success. I would be fine with Ted drafting nothing but defense and lineman in 2014.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
There is no doubt in my mind and most others that the Packers are one of the top contenders for a SB win this upcoming season. Certainly, there are weak areas that, if improved, would increase the odds.

However, the single element that would improve the odds the most? Lady luck.

That is-- Zero (or close to zero) key injuries during the season and post-season. Something more akin to what the 49ers had two seasons ago or Seattle "endured" last season.

Hopefully, TT drafts lady luck. Maybe she slips to our spot in the draft.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's hard to argue we barely missed the NFC championship game as we didn't even make it to the divisional round.
D'Oh. my bad. I meant Divisional. I think we would have gone on to beat Carolina though had Hyde got the pick or Bush didn't sh%% the bed on contain.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if they don't face the 49ers or the giants in the playoffs. :/

While there is probably some validity to this, I would want nothing more then to play SF again in the playoffs. Beating that whiny @$$hole Harbaugh in the playoffs would be so damn sweet.

As far as this thread is concerned... The Packers make the SB if we can get 16 games out of Aaron (true of any season), 14 out of Clay, and the D as a whole just gets marginally better. Everything else will work itself out. This team is talented enough offensively to make the SB as long as the D just improves a little and stays healthy.

Jz3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If TT drafts two players on defense like a safety and LB and they both are candidates for rookie of the year we can win the super bowl not mentioning injury's. TT has to hit on some studs in this draft on defense.

My real opinion is we will be one of the most injured teams like every season. I expect Lacy, Nelson, Daniels, Raji, Shields, Sitton, to end up on IR.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defensive line becomes a strength..... It CAN happen, I see Jones really stepping up, Raji is back where he belongs and playing for a contract, gotta hope TT knows what he's doing with Peppers......... That will in turn make our linebackers and defensive backfield much much better

#2 got to have a plan at center ( note to Packer Management: Hope is not a plan)

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Jones, Hyde, Perry, Bostick, Tretter, Harper, Richardson, Heyward, Boykin, Bahktiari.

If any 5 of these make significant jump in their level of play and Burnett plays better than last year, we'll win the SB by 2 touchdowns or better. Assuming the team has not been destroyed by injuries during playoffs.

I really believe we are primed for a dominant season with only reserve role help needed from rookies in 14 season.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts