The Last Drive vs. Miami

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What a special drive! The defense was able to supply the Packers a chance with a few minutes left and Rodgers and company took advantage. That fake spike was a beautiful call (It is a part of McCarthy's playbook but does Rodgers call that play?) And to win it with six seconds left..well I know I said a few swear words:roflmao:

Many here doubted Mike Mccarthy's decision to take the field goal..In hindsight it worked and that's all you can ask for out of a decision like that. Not only did it work, but it instilled confidence in our defense and gave the Dolphins only time to run one play. I won't mention names, but I will post the screenshots if anybody wants to belly up to their crow.:whistling:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-10-12-14-57-44.png
    Screenshot_2014-10-12-14-57-44.png
    430.3 KB · Views: 152
  • Screenshot_2014-10-12-14-55-52.png
    Screenshot_2014-10-12-14-55-52.png
    449.3 KB · Views: 143
  • Screenshot_2014-10-12-14-55-45.png
    Screenshot_2014-10-12-14-55-45.png
    472.3 KB · Views: 134

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I sure wish you would have had a screenshot of me basically saying that the field goal was the right call

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad it worked out, although I still cant say I like the call with the packers Defense missing all those starters and bleeding pts. Im glad MM trusted the D and we won.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I`ve got to be honest and say it amuses me that MM gets abuse over his predictable boring play calling week after week, and now, people are complaining about his daring call on that last drive !!
The guy can`t win it seems.

I

The defense had given up a TD on every possession in the half. They showed no signs of a stop. We needed a TD regardless of the result of Crosby's attempt.

If you kick the FG, worst case scenario is that you rely on your defense and need a TD.

If you kick the FG, best case scenario is that you rely on your defense and need a TD.

If you go for the 4th down, worst case scenario is that you rely on your defense and need a TD.

If you go for the 4th down, best case scenario is that you rely on your defense less than the other 3 scenarios and a FG wins the game.

Why not give the best QB of our generation 2 cracks at it instead of one?

It's illogical to say I was wrong just because it worked out. Blind squirrel and all.

No, I really am happy they won.

And I was just asking a legitimate question, not having a go at anybody ;)

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense had given up a TD on every possession in the half. They showed no signs of a stop. We needed a TD regardless of the result of Crosby's attempt.

If you kick the FG, worst case scenario is that you rely on your defense and need a TD.

If you kick the FG, best case scenario is that you rely on your defense and need a TD.

If you go for the 4th down, worst case scenario is that you rely on your defense and need a TD.

If you go for the 4th down, best case scenario is that you rely on your defense less than the other 3 scenarios and a FG wins the game.

Why not give the best QB of our generation 2 cracks at it instead of one?

It's illogical to say I was wrong just because it worked out. Blind squirrel and all.

No, I really am happy they won.

do you honestly not see how contradictory you are being? Every scenario requires you to rely on the defense to win the game. going for it and failing practically seals the loss for you. going for it and spending another two minutes to get a touchdown forces overtime at best and then you have to rely on your defense in overtime when they even more tired.

going with the scenario of going for it if you fail you now have to rely on this defense that was so horrible in the second half twice instead of just once. which is the smarter one in your opinion rely on a bad defense once or relying on a bad defense twice?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was like not going for two against the Bears last year.

Kicking the FG makes you to use 4 downs your next drive in order to go for the win. Most agressive call.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
You take the points. It's a crap shoot as to whether the defense stops anyone...I didn't like the notion that the offense went into hibernation and our best bet was that defense...or what was left of it. Anyway, you take the points in the NFL.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Best case FG = Worst case FG = Worst case 4th down attempt < Best case 4th down attempt.

Not sure what's confusing.

I guess the thing that is confusing is that you think that the best case and worst case is the same thing a field goal. but that is where your argument goes off the rails because the worst case scenario was failing the 4th down attempt and having to rely on your dejected and broken down defense to not only get a stop just so you have a chance to possibly tie the game but then have to rely on them again to get yet another stop to win the game. kicking a field goal allows you to rely on your defense one time to get a stop for a chance to win the game.

what is so confusing about that for you?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is much easier to prevent the FG than preventing them from running out the clock with too little time for a game winning drive.

Worst case FG - You need to stop them from burning out clock, and you need a TD drive. 2/2 remaining regulation possessions must go perfectly.

Best case FG - You need to stop them from burning out clock, and you need a TD drive. 2/2 remaining regulation possessions must go perfectly.

Worst case 4th down attempt - You need to stop them from burning out clock, and you need a TD drive. 2/2 remaining regulation possessions must go perfectly.

Best case 4th down attempt - You need to prevent a FG. A FG wins the game. No other regulation scores send it to OT. 0/2 remaining regulation possessions must go perfectly.

Best case scenario: Kick FG, defense gets a quick stop, Rodgers leads a game winning TD drive with seconds left.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Blind squirrel? 80% of the time, any NFL coach is going to take the points... especially on the road.

I

But up to that point, their defense was doing a pretty good job of containing our QB, so IMO, it kept us in the game.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am happy they won. Fact remains, it was dumb to kick that FG. Just like playing the lottery is dumb. Some people still win it.

9 out of 10 dentists agree... it was the right call.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, you keep telling me to be happy.

There is no need to question the call if we lost either. This is a message board where Packer geeks discuss stuff, though.

We can agree to disagree.

I tend to not questions things that work as that's the ultimate judge of a decision.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not true. You can't make it through dental school without basic reasoning ability.

I'm really not sure why you think you're so much smarter than the vast majority of football coaches. Coaches kick the FG in those situations all the time. That's a fact. End of story. Crow all you want.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
I wasnt exactly filled in confidence when the fins got the ball back. Glad the D steped up when it mattered.

I

Right, everybody is entitled to an opinion. We can do without the aggressive attitude.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
KEPT US IN THE GAME?

We were down by 7 worst case scenario.
And what happens if we had not kicked the FG and tied the game? Instead of trying to kill the clock, Miami would have been playing to get in FG range and kick the game winner. Instead, they were in a position of wanting to run out the clock, became more predictable because of it, and our defense held strong with enough time to win. It was the same call the majority of coaches make across the country on every level of play and that's that. I know the call was strategically correct regardless of what you want to claim, so I'm out.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO just because it worked doesn't automatically make it the best call at the time. I also agree HCs go for the FG in that situation frequently, so I don't think it's a slam dunk either way. And that's why IMO not only in this conversation but in nearly every conversation/disagreement/argument this is one of the worst things to post:
I've laid it out for y'all. Conversation is over.
Declaring the conversation over is the height of arrogance and that's what I disagreed with. And BTW, do you deny NFL HCs have made the same decision in the past?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts