1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The Last Drive vs. Miami

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Shawnsta3, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +562
    What a special drive! The defense was able to supply the Packers a chance with a few minutes left and Rodgers and company took advantage. That fake spike was a beautiful call (It is a part of McCarthy's playbook but does Rodgers call that play?) And to win it with six seconds left..well I know I said a few swear words:roflmao:

Many here doubted Mike Mccarthy's decision to take the field goal..In hindsight it worked and that's all you can ask for out of a decision like that. Not only did it work, but it instilled confidence in our defense and gave the Dolphins only time to run one play. I won't mention names, but I will post the screenshots if anybody wants to belly up to their crow.:whistling:

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Ogsponge

Ogsponge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +601
    I sure wish you would have had a screenshot of me basically saying that the field goal was the right call

3. Baked

Baked Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +15
    I still think it was a bad call. I'm happy they won though.

4. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,014
    Surely better to have some points on the board ?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Ogsponge

Ogsponge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +601
    well you're wrong so you have that going for you.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. gatorpack

gatorpack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +171
    I'm glad it worked out, although I still cant say I like the call with the packers Defense missing all those starters and bleeding pts. Im glad MM trusted the D and we won.

7. Baked

Baked Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +15
    The defense had given up a TD on every possession in the half. They showed no signs of a stop. We needed a TD regardless of the result of Crosby's attempt.

If you kick the FG, worst case scenario is that you rely on your defense and need a TD.

If you kick the FG, best case scenario is that you rely on your defense and need a TD.

If you go for the 4th down, worst case scenario is that you rely on your defense and need a TD.

If you go for the 4th down, best case scenario is that you rely on your defense less than the other 3 scenarios and a FG wins the game. No other regulation scores and you go to OT.

Why not give the best QB of our generation 2 cracks at it instead of one?

It's illogical to say I was wrong just because it worked out. Blind squirrel and all.

No, I really am happy they won.

8. buggybill2003

Ratings:
    +3,014
    I`ve got to be honest and say it amuses me that MM gets abuse over his predictable boring play calling week after week, and now, people are complaining about his daring call on that last drive !!
    The guy can`t win it seems.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. buggybill2003

Ratings:
    +3,014
    And I was just asking a legitimate question, not having a go at anybody ;)

10. Baked

Baked Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +15
    Never thought you were.... I just answered it.

11. buggybill2003

Ratings:
    +3,014
    I thought you were because of your last question. Just commenting. Sorry

12. Ogsponge

Ogsponge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +601
    do you honestly not see how contradictory you are being? Every scenario requires you to rely on the defense to win the game. going for it and failing practically seals the loss for you. going for it and spending another two minutes to get a touchdown forces overtime at best and then you have to rely on your defense in overtime when they even more tired.

going with the scenario of going for it if you fail you now have to rely on this defense that was so horrible in the second half twice instead of just once. which is the smarter one in your opinion rely on a bad defense once or relying on a bad defense twice?

13. Baked

Baked Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +15
    Best case FG = Worst case FG = Worst case 4th down attempt < Best case 4th down attempt.

Not sure what's confusing.

14. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,918
    It was like not going for two against the Bears last year.

Kicking the FG makes you to use 4 downs your next drive in order to go for the win. Most agressive call.

15. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,230
    You take the points. It's a crap shoot as to whether the defense stops anyone...I didn't like the notion that the offense went into hibernation and our best bet was that defense...or what was left of it. Anyway, you take the points in the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,918
    No matter what, the defense had to make a stop whether or not we went for it and scored a TD.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Ogsponge

Ogsponge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +601
    I guess the thing that is confusing is that you think that the best case and worst case is the same thing a field goal. but that is where your argument goes off the rails because the worst case scenario was failing the 4th down attempt and having to rely on your dejected and broken down defense to not only get a stop just so you have a chance to possibly tie the game but then have to rely on them again to get yet another stop to win the game. kicking a field goal allows you to rely on your defense one time to get a stop for a chance to win the game.

what is so confusing about that for you?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Baked

Baked Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +15
    It is much easier to prevent the FG than preventing them from running out the clock with too little time for a game winning drive.

Worst case FG - You need to stop them from burning out clock, and you need a TD drive. 2/2 remaining regulation possessions must go perfectly.

Best case FG - You need to stop them from burning out clock, and you need a TD drive. 2/2 remaining regulation possessions must go perfectly.

Worst case 4th down attempt - You need to stop them from burning out clock, and you need a TD drive. 2/2 remaining regulation possessions must go perfectly.

Best case 4th down attempt - You need to prevent a FG. A FG wins the game. No other regulation scores send it to OT. 0/2 remaining regulation possessions must go perfectly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Baked

Baked Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +15
    All 4 scenarios allow that. In only one scenario does that "chance to win the game" entail a GB field goal.

I've laid it out for y'all. Conversation is over.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,918
    Best case scenario: Kick FG, defense gets a quick stop, Rodgers leads a game winning TD drive with seconds left.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  21. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +845
    Blind squirrel? 80% of the time, any NFL coach is going to take the points... especially on the road.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,918
    We won. Be happy negative Nancy's and stop looking for something to question/complaint about.

Enjoy the win.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Baked

Baked Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +15
    Pretty silly to use results as your argument when they only illuminate the outcome of one decision. If we had lost the game, I wouldn't have said "see, we lost." I'd have laid out the same scenarios I just did.

The decision was made with 4 minutes left. We have the best QB of the generation on our roster. You can put more of the game in his hands and less of the game in hands of a defense that gave up a TD on every drive that half.

In the first 3 quarters of a close game? Yea, every time. What if you are down 14 with 7 minutes left? Situation dictates your decision.

I am happy they won. Fact remains, it was dumb to kick that FG. Just like playing the lottery is dumb. Some people still win it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Baked

Baked Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +15
    Do you think I was pissed when the final TD pass was caught?

25. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,918
    Course not, but the call worked and we won. No need to question it.