The Last Drive vs. Miami

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All 4 scenarios allow that. In only one scenario does that "chance to win the game" entail a GB field goal.

I've laid it out for y'all. Conversation is over.

You are right. I am afraid that my powers of debate cannot rise to the Socratic wonder of an argument based on ignoring everything I have written, sticking your fingers in your ears and saying "lalalala I can't hear you" well played sir.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way I look at it is this-

We fail on 4th down, even if we hold the Dolphins and get the ball back, best we can do is tie and hope to win in OT, which is a crapshoot.

We kick the FG and can potentially win the game if our D holds.

It worked out, I think it was the right call.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
That fake spike was arods call, not mm's. he said in a post game interview that he saw they were thin on the right side and said he just decided to "go for it". That genius play was on our QB, not the coach.
My main concern for the game was the 94 degrees. It took its toll after they went into that nice cool locker room at half time....getting back out into that type of heat after a break and cool down is heart breaking.
Overall, proud of the defense for the most part. Just wish we could have gotten more points of the 2 INT's. this game coulda been put out of reach early. Very proud of Arod for having the guts to pull off that fake spike play and the last drive took poise and guts. Glad we pulled one out.... Damn if my heart was t pounding out of my chest

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought the FG was the right call at the time. Also I agree with the idea most coaches would have played it the same way. Miami subsequently played to not lose and it cost them the game. Philbin trusted his tired defense to stop the best QB in the game one final time instead of being more aggressive on offense and trying to get the final first down dagger.

OneHotelFoxtrot

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think what frustrates me the most is on this board and particularly the shout box during the game earlier today, is not the frustration about a play call, but the gloom and doom attitude as soon as something happens. There was plenty of time left, we just cut the lead to 4 points, and still had a shot. In that moment most of the posters on here acted as if we already lost the game, the season was over already, and that everyone needed to be fired. Ridiculous, just ridiculous.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Everyone should be ecstatic we pulled that game out. Winning on the road against a decent team in humid conditions is a win I will take any way we can get it.

If anything we should of put em away earlier with the interceptions and the way the defense played giving the offense short fields. Miami got it going and it got real scary there for a minute. MM took the FG and there was plenty of time left. It worked and we got of there with a win.

After the way Rodgers brought us back and the D making a key stop it is ridiculous to question the call to kick the FG. It wasn't like there was just a couple minutes left in the game.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Adams said they practice the fake spike - he just had to be on his toes it might happen. In addition to the heart pounding fantastic finish, this game should help cement Rodgers' confidence in Adams.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If anything we should of put em away earlier with the interceptions and the way the defense played giving the offense short fields.

The def did an awesome job getting two turnovers and the offense only got 3 points....Didnt the Def stop them 4 times inside the 5 and gave the ball back to the offense?

yet people are ridiculing the def...

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The def did an awesome job getting two turnovers and the offense only got 3 points....Didnt the Def stop them 4 times inside the 5 and gave the ball back to the offense?

yet people are ridiculing the def...

Yeah the D killed it for the most part. They were out there without Lattimore, Shields, Tramon and still got it done when it counted. My hats off to those guys. Our defense leads the NFL in interceptions. We have a very deep and good secondary.

Special teams killed us and offense needs to convert better on short fields and put teams away. When your on the road and your dealing with humidity and let teams hang around there gonna score at some point.

GBMuskies

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The FG was a gamble because Rodgers is not the most adept at fourth quarter comebacks. Studies have been done. Colin Cowpie has cited them.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The FG was a gamble because Rodgers is not the most adept at fourth quarter comebacks. Studies have been done. Colin Cowpie has cited them.

I feel like the vast majority of his failed comebacks came in '08, '09 and '10. I can't remember too many since then.

ram29jackson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL you people couldn't see the Miami players just completely lay down on the last drive.

that's all that happened. It was so Miami could cover the spread and nothing more

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO this thread is just baiting for an argument.

I'm thrilled that they won, and thrilled that the decision worked out. I would have went for it, with the way the D was playing at the time. I want to credit the D with a great stop on 3rd down to give us the ball back, but I can't disregard the fact that it wasn't so much about that as the fact that the Dolphins simply conceded 3rd down to kill some clock. Had they passed and converted, the perception would be that Mike conceded the game with the FG and never gave the offense a chance to try it. That's the difference between one outcome and another, so I would think it would be nice to just all enjoy the victory and be appreciative of the team of what went into it, rather than rubbing it in the faces of everyone who didn't agree with the decision.

None of us agree with every decision that is made. It doesn't mean we were wrong when it works out the other way, and it certainly doesn't mean we are more qualified than the coaching staff when it works out our way.

MiamiBeachPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Dolphins gave us two great gifts in the last few minutes of the game. Passing on 2nd down before the 2 minute warning and that timeout on the 4th down play after the fumble recovery by Lang.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amazing how Adams somehow managed to keep his body moving forwards while going out of bounds on that fake spike play. A lot of times even if you make it out of bounds the refs will keep the clock moving if they think the defender stopped your forward progress.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers said he decided to do it on the spot!

Also said he didn't tell any of the other players. I'm glad that worked out, but that's a dumb call if no one else knew... All the props in the world to Adams to realize what happened and still get OB without knowing ahead of time. If he manages to make the catch but not get OB, the game is probably over.

Packerlover

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That final drive was awesome! I was on the edge of my seat the whole time and jumped 5 feet in the air when Rodgers threw the TD pass to Quarless! What a game!

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
KEPT US IN THE GAME?

We were down by one score regardless.

ding ding ding

What are the chances Rodgers gets a td if you go for it? 50/50 probably? It was a bad call that worked out for us. All the call did was make sure we didn't have to go to overtime.

Members online

Latest posts