The Jordan Love Era Begins

Will Jordan Love be 3 in a row for the Packers?

• Yes, he's a FHOF Player

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • He'll be pro bowl good but not FHOF good

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • He'll be average

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • No, he'll be a below average bust

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Too early to Tell

Votes: 29 42.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wouldn't a petulant child do the opposite? IMO if slighted they would want to prove, not only they can do it, but they can do it their way. So your theory is, Love gets drafted, Rodgers checks his ego while having a chip on his shoulder, runs the MLF offense, wins 2 MVPs, signs a huge contract, then goes rogue and doesn't run the MLF offense? I guess that could be the case, but as I previously stated a person with the character traits you have described Rodgers as having would have gone straight to going rouge IMO.
By the way how does the cake taste? TIC.
With those petulant children, you can never tell! Okay, maybe petulant child is overboard on my part. The message is that emotion is a driving factor in Rodgers behaviors and play. The fact is, the offense looked a lot different last season than the previous two. Another reason could be that Adams was a big component of Rodgers success. Without his presence, the AR or the Packers altered their strategy.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I know some people are expecting/hoping for Love to be an instant success, but nobody should lose sight of the fact that his receiving group (WR's and TE's) will probably be the "greenest" in the NFL. Couple that with a first time starting QB and well, I guess we will see. I am excited about the group, but even Davante Adams didn't blossom until maybe year 3 and finally became pretty dominant in year 5.
I'm most concerned with receivers dropping passes and fumbles. I think that is maybe our greatest offensive vulnerability along with holding penalties out of this inexperienced group of WR's and TE's. I can envision drives being derailed by these types of things.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Nobody predicted Rodgers would have 2 back to back MVP’s including yourself. That has been the argument you’ve promoted all along.
But thank you Nostradamus! :tup:

?? I don’t know why you keep saying this?? It’s so obvious that the odds aren’t in favor of finding a FRANCHISE anything outside of 10 overall. I’m not even sure it guarantees you a HOF Kicker (see Charlie Gogolak). Does that mean we should be scaredy cats and not draft a QB past 10 overall? I don’t know about you but the last thing I want? is an ultra timid GM

But yeah point taken that night life party life in 1992 Green Bay just rivaled Miami and Atlanta! There was a better party life in little old lacrosse WI around that timeframe. Although we had like 100 Bars on 1 street so theres that :whistling:

PS. I think Some guys I know did flip some cop cars over at City Hall because the cops tried to shut the Bars on 3rd street down early. Don’t mess with the best cause the best don’t mess!
It was all Hearsay though! :coffee:
The party venues just look different in Miami, Atlanta and Green Bay. Inebriation resources are never more than 2 minutes away in Green Bay or virtually any place in Wisconsin where 10,000 people live.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Packers never advanced past the Divisional Round with Sharpe. They broke through to the conference championship game in 1995 when Favre was forced to spread the ball around after he retired. Maybe if Rodgers had learned that lesson in his last couple playoffs, he could have broken through to his second Super Bowl.

I don't think it was Sharpe's retirement that made Favre and the Packers better, but a combination of Favre improving with playing time and the Packers in general, fielding a much better team.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it was Sharpe's retirement that made Favre and the Packers better, but a combination of Favre improving with playing time and the Packers in general, fielding a much better team.
My memory is that Favre focused on Sharpe 100%. If a pass went elsewhere, it was the 4th read in the progression because Sharp was the first 3 options. That much focus on Sharpe wasn't good and the offense would have been more effective if the ball was spread around more.

Sharpe was really an amazing talent and I get the focus on him. Damn shame it ended too soon.

In 93, Sharpe had 189 targets. At the time we had Robert Brooks, Chmura, West on the roster. Also had Mark Clayton which I don't recall. There was some decent receiving talent that could have been utilized.

Reaction score
Inebriation resources are never more than 2 minutes away in Green Bay or virtually any place in Wisconsin where 10,000 people live.
Oh for sure. I know it all too well as I grew up a few miles from a major brewery and I have relatives going back at least 4 generations that made Peerless and eventually G Heilemen.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Love isn't exactly lighting it up at OTA's.
Links?????

or just because he threw across his body?? He isn’t lighting it up?

fyi Farve did that every ****ing game

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
First hand knowledge?

Did you expect him to be razor sharp and looking like a seasoned vet?

Good to see the starting QB at OTA's. Should help him, his teammates and the team.

D

Deleted member 6794

Nope. Not what I said at all.

He was, of course, in decline for several years. Arm strength, accuracy, and pocket movement decline was obvious. It was his decline in attitude that mostly affected the success of the team. It was the drafting of Love that had the affected his attitude. Rodgers attitude went from spoiled petulant child to a spoiled petulant older child with something to prove. Not ideal, but at least it spurred him on. Although his success was chiefly attributable to having a stellar WR in Adams, once Adams left, Rodgers strugggled.

How on earth did the drafting of Love improve his arm strength, accuracy and pocket movement which was in obvious decline according to you?

Let's be real, Rodgers was still able to perform at an elite level and the front office didn't evaluate it correctly though.

give me that 2001 Offensive line, TE, RB's and WR's vs what we had on the field for most of last year. any time.

Having the #5 scoring defense helped a ton as well.

I doubt there is an athlete that can go out on the field, court, ice, diamond, etc. that can completely forget about what is currently and has been happening elsewhere in their life and just do their job. Those outside things effect a player and even as much of a competitor as Rodgers is, they effect him too, both on and off the field. So anyone saying that the drafting of Love didn't motivate him in some way, is really ignoring human nature.

I agree that the Packers drafting Love motivated Rodgers. But if he truly had declined as Amish suggests there would have been no way for that to be enough to win two consecutive MVPs afterwards.

Nobody predicted Rodgers would have 2 back to back MVP’s including yourself. That has been the argument you’ve promoted all along.
But thank you Nostradamus!

I was pretty adamant about Rodgers being able to perform at an elite level back in 2020. Seems I was correct about that.

?? I don’t know why you keep saying this?? It’s so obvious that the odds aren’t in favor of finding a FRANCHISE anything outside of 10 overall. I’m not even sure it guarantees you a HOF Kicker (see Charlie Gogolak). Does that mean we should be scaredy cats and not draft a QB past 10 overall? I don’t know about you but the last thing I want? is an ultra timid GM

Relax, my response was to another poster who suggested the Packers were playing the odds by selecting a quarterback in the first round. In reality, the odds aren't in favor of finding a franchise quarterback outside of the top 10 though.

The fact is, the offense looked a lot different last season than the previous two.

Rodgers' broken thumb definitely factored into it. As a side note, the numbers available don't suggest the team ran a much different offense compared to the first three seasons under MLF.

I'm most concerned with receivers dropping passes and fumbles. I think that is maybe our greatest offensive vulnerability along with holding penalties out of this inexperienced group of WR's and TE's. I can envision drives being derailed by these types of things.

I'm most concerned with Love turning the ball over being at by throwing an interception or fumbling the ball.

In 93, Sharpe had 189 targets. At the time we had Robert Brooks, Chmura, West on the roster. Also had Mark Clayton which I don't recall. There was some decent receiving talent that could have been utilized.

Clayton was already in decline and Brooks not ready to take on a larger role in 1993 though. While the Packers had some decent receiving options in Edgar Bennett and Jackie Harris they lacked talent at wide receiver aside of Sharpe.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Agree.
Favre went from good and dangerous to great when he figured out where the blitzes were coming from and abuse the defense for sending blitzers.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero of us did know with certainty. Many of us, myself included were highly doubtful or at least had observational or statistical reasons for believing he was/might be declining.

Others also may have had similar reasons to believe he was going to return to MVP level play.

Zero of us know absolutely anything for certain.

To quote Rodgers, unfortunately haha
Life is a beautiful mystery or some sht like that

But yeah nobody knew for sure but my gut told me he wasnt close to done as it still does now.

I for one, am not going to be betting against Aaron Rodgers. When he feels slighted. No matter if its real imagined, or manufactured. That dude balls out when he feels he has something to prove. I expect nothing less in NY

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, here's the fun part of this whole discussion. I'm pretty sure there will be a large contingent of fans that will defend Love no matter how poorly he plays this season (unless Love looks like Nathan Peterman) so what's the cutoff for when fans might start to turn on him? Fans have become so entrenched into the "Love was worth the pick no matter what it cost the Packers" camp that it's going to take a LOT to get them out. As I've said, I believe his drafting was a mistake but I'll happily hop out of that camp into the "Love is the future GOAT" group if he can perform at close to the level of an average NFL QB this season.

Now, this isn't intended to be a shot at Love, as I said this is the fun part. This is a hypothetical, I'm just curious the depths to which a player fans have stood up for so stridently would have to sink before those fans began to abandon ship. Is there a level or does he get a free pass this season no matter what?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Fans have become so entrenched into the "Love was worth the pick no matter what it cost the Packers" camp that it's going to take a LOT to get them out.
Exactly what did it cost the Packers? Another Justin Harrell, Derek Sharrod, Nick Perry, Datone Jones, Ha Ha Clinton Dix, Damarious Randall, Kevin King, Darnell Savage, Eric Stokes, Devonte Wyatt? Or would they have ended up with an above average player like Clay Matthews, Brian Bulaga or Kenny Clark?

Those insisting that Love was a wasted pick are making the assumption that Love ends up doing nothing and the player selected at #26 is a big difference maker. I have news for you, picking that late in round 1 hasn't been all that kind to the Packers (see players above) or other teams for that matter, especially when it comes to QB's. When you have a 36 year old QB, that has shown signs of being in decline and a prospect like Jordan Love falls to you, grabbing him isn't a bad thing. The average age that an NFL quarterback retires is 30 with a standard deviation of 3.

If you don't draft Jordan Love, who do you draft for your future QB and when? I know, Aaron is still playing, despite saying that he was 90% sure he was retiring, before his darkness retreat.

2021 QB's taken in draft:

Trevor Lawrence (1st, Jaguars), Zach Wilson (2nd, Jets) and Trey Lance (3rd, 49ers), Justin Fields (11th, Bears), Mac Jones (15th, Patriots), Kyle Trask (64th, Buccaneers), Kellen Mond (66th, Vikings) and Davis Mills (67th, Texans).

2022 QB's taken in draft:

Kenny Pickett (20th, Steelers), Desmond Ridder (74th, Falcons), Malik Willis (86th, Titans), Matt Corral (94th, Panthers), Bailey Zappe (137th, Patriots), Sam Howell (144th, Commanders), Chris Oladokun, (241st, Steelers), Skylar Thompson (247th, Dolphins), Brock Purdy (262nd, 49'ers).

2023 QB's taken in draft:

Bryce Young (1st, Panthers), C.J. Stroud (2nd, Texans), Anthony Richardson (4th, Colts), Will Levis (33rd, Titans), Hendon Hooker (68th, Lions), Jake Haener (127th, Saints), Stetson Bennett (128th, Rams), Aidan O'Connell (135th, Raiders), Clayton Tune (139th, Cardinals), Dorian Thompson-Robinson ( 140th, Browns), Sean Clifford (149th, Packers), Jaren Hall (164th, Vikings), Tanner McKee (188th, Eagles), Max Duggan (239th, Chargers).

Reaction score
I was just going to say that Love mentioned he was being more aggressive than he might be in a critical game scenario. I believe he used the term “testing his limits”
Relax, my response was to another poster who suggested the Packers were playing the odds by selecting a quarterback in the first round. In reality, the odds aren't in favor of finding a franchise quarterback outside of the top 10 though.
Oh I see. I agree the odds are definitely lower. Some teams go through an entire Platoon of QB’s once they get outside that top 10. Some teams even go through some top 10 overall drafted QBs without them sticking long term.
I have news for you, picking that late in round 1 hasn't been all that kind to the Packers (see players above) or other teams for that matter, especially when it comes to QB's.
Amen. It’s pretty rare to get that CM3 type long term impact later Day1 or beyond. Even more rare at QB because it’s generally picked over by #26 overall area.

Reaction score
Agree.
Favre went from good and dangerous to great when he figured out where the blitzes were coming from and abuse the defense for sending blitzers.
I’ll never forget that year he threw more INT than TD’s. Obviously those first couple seasons are shaky for many QBs

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Exactly what did it cost the Packers? Another Justin Harrell, Derek Sharrod, Nick Perry, Datone Jones, Ha Ha Clinton Dix, Damarious Randall, Kevin King, Darnell Savage, Eric Stokes, Devonte Wyatt? Or would they have ended up with an above average player like Clay Matthews, Brian Bulaga or Kenny Clark?

Those insisting that Love was a wasted pick are making the assumption that Love ends up doing nothing and the player selected at #26 is a big difference maker. I have news for you, picking that late in round 1 hasn't been all that kind to the Packers (see players above) or other teams for that matter, especially when it comes to QB's. When you have a 36 year old QB, that has shown signs of being in decline and a prospect like Jordan Love falls to you, grabbing him isn't a bad thing. The average age that an NFL quarterback retires is 30 with a standard deviation of 3.

If you don't draft Jordan Love, who do you draft for your future QB and when? I know, Aaron is still playing, despite saying that he was 90% sure he was retiring, before his darkness retreat.

Trevor Lawrence (1st, Jaguars), Zach Wilson (2nd, Jets) and Trey Lance (3rd, 49ers), Justin Fields (11th, Bears), Mac Jones (15th, Patriots), Kyle Trask (64th, Buccaneers), Kellen Mond (66th, Vikings) and Davis Mills (67th, Texans).

Kenny Pickett (20th, Steelers), Desmond Ridder (74th, Falcons), Malik Willis (86th, Titans), Matt Corral (94th, Panthers), Bailey Zappe (137th, Patriots), Sam Howell (144th, Commanders), Chris Oladokun, (241st, Steelers), Skylar Thompson (247th, Dolphins), Brock Purdy (262nd, 49'ers).

Bryce Young (1st, Panthers), C.J. Stroud (2nd, Texans), Anthony Richardson (4th, Colts), Will Levis (33rd, Titans), Hendon Hooker (68th, Lions), Jake Haener (127th, Saints), Stetson Bennett (128th, Rams), Aidan O'Connell (135th, Raiders), Clayton Tune (139th, Cardinals), Dorian Thompson-Robinson ( 140th, Browns), Sean Clifford (149th, Packers), Jaren Hall (164th, Vikings), Tanner McKee (188th, Eagles), Max Duggan (239th, Chargers).
Posters still *****ing about the love pick?

I thought Rodgers held a grudge

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was just going to say that Love mentioned he was being more aggressive than he might be in a critical game scenario. I believe he used the term “testing his limits”

Oh I see. I agree the odds are definitely lower. Some teams go through an entire Platoon of QB’s once they get outside that top 10. Some teams even go through some top 10 overall drafted QBs without them sticking long term.

Amen. It’s pretty rare to get that CM3 type long term impact later Day1 or beyond. Even more rare at QB because it’s generally picked over by #26 overall area.
You guys nailed it. Darn. Hopefully somehow, Watson, Musgrave, Reed, Kraft and Doubs somehow make some sort of impact considering where they were drafted.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure why Stokes and Wyatt made the list. Stokes was very impressive his first year and the 2nd started slowly then he got injured. Wyatt looked very impressive in limited snaps. I am more impressed with his rookie year than Clark's. Took Clark about 3 years to really show he was going to be special.

Great list. Who would the anti-Love pick crowd (formerly known as the anti-Rodgers pick crowd back in the Favre days) rather have than Love? Trade up for Trey Lance? Take Will Levis and play a rookie this season? And don't say Brock Purdy, nobody saw that coming.

But you have to understand, it's not about the Packers and their success - it's about a player to them.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or I could believe the Packers would have more success with Rodgers at QB. Hey, but you just keep telling yourself that you know what people you have never met think.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not sure why Stokes and Wyatt made the list. Stokes was very impressive his first year and the 2nd started slowly then he got injured.
I included both, since most of the "shouldn't have picked Love folks", insist that any other player selected would have contributed a lot more than Love. Stokes is a mixed bag. Yeah, good rookie year, but second year, not so much. Wyatt will hopefully develop, but his contributions as a rookie, not much.

My main point was this. People claiming Gute messed up by selecting Love, insist that another player would have contributed far more. This not only discounts anything Love might have added such as motivation to Rodgers, scout team, backup QB, etc. It also implies that any other player picked, besides a QB, improves the Packers enough to make a difference in their record. I just don't see that from a lot of late first round picks. Especially in years 1-3.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
but you just keep telling yourself that you know what people you have never met think.
I've never met you, Aaron Rodgers, Gute, MLF or any posters in this forum, but I have read/listened to, a lot of what these people have said. So tell me, how does "meeting them" change what they say and how I interpret it? Body language? Messages on their hats or t-shirts?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Posters still *****ing about the love pick?

I thought Rodgers held a grudge
Lol, just the usual suspects still trying to convince the rest of us that Love was a bad pick because he didn't have the immediate impact that any other player would've had.

Members online

Latest posts