The Jordan Love Era Begins

Will Jordan Love be 3 in a row for the Packers?

• Yes, he's a FHOF Player

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • He'll be pro bowl good but not FHOF good

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • He'll be average

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • No, he'll be a below average bust

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Too early to Tell

Votes: 29 42.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
A player that could have been on the field helping the packers reach a Super Bowl.
That didn't seem to be the case in 2005 when TT spent a first round pick on Aaron Rodgers. No Superbowl, until 2010. Nor was it the case (Superbowl) for the 2018, 2019, 2021 or 2022 draft, when a QB was not selected. I can name dozens of draft picks in the last 20 years that didn't immediately help the Packers, but you and others want to pinpoint the Jordan Love pick, as the key one. :roflmao:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That didn't seem to be the case in 2005 when TT spent a first round pick on Aaron Rodgers. No Superbowl, until 2010. Nor was it the case (Superbowl) for the 2018, 2019, 2021 or 2022 draft, when a QB was not selected. I can name dozens of draft picks in the last 20 years that didn't immediately help the Packers, but you and others want to pinpoint the Jordan Love pick, as the key one. :roflmao:
I’m not talking about 2005. I’m talking about the years Love was on the team. The fact that you continue to ignore the central premise of what I’m saying by bringing up scores of unrelated scenarios sort of answers my point though.

Reaction score
It’ll always be a controversial draft selection for a good portion of fans. I suppose the only way to alleviate some of that is by Winning. Winning takes care of a lot of woes. Once we get busy Winning again we’ll all be chill.

D

Deleted member 6794

Exactly what did it cost the Packers? Another Justin Harrell, Derek Sharrod, Nick Perry, Datone Jones, Ha Ha Clinton Dix, Damarious Randall, Kevin King, Darnell Savage, Eric Stokes, Devonte Wyatt? Or would they have ended up with an above average player like Clay Matthews, Brian Bulaga or Kenny Clark?

While some of those players listed definitely didn't live up to expectations of a first rounder all of them made a bigger impact than Love over their first three seasons with the team. Once again, I have no idea if selecting another prospect would have been good enough to get past the Bucs or Niners in the playoffs but I would have liked to find out. It would have definitely increased the chances compared to a quarterback who wasn't even active in 2020 and didn't play in '21.

Those insisting that Love was a wasted pick are making the assumption that Love ends up doing nothing and the player selected at #26 is a big difference maker.

You're making the assumption that the prospect selected instead of Love would have had to be a big difference maker to make it to the Super Bowl in either 2020 and '21. That's not necessarily true as Scott Miller or Jordan Willis proved in the games the Packers were eliminated in. It's impossible to have any impact not being on the field at all though.

Who would the anti-Love pick crowd (formerly known as the anti-Rodgers pick crowd back in the Favre days) rather have than Love?

But you have to understand, it's not about the Packers and their success - it's about a player to them.

As mentioned repeatedly there isn't any anti-Love crowd around here. In addition it's bogus that you consider yourself to be superior fans of the team based on your approval of Love's selection.

With him being the starter entering this season I will definitely root for him to succeed as well.

I included both, since most of the "shouldn't have picked Love folks", insist that any other player selected would have contributed a lot more than Love. Stokes is a mixed bag. Yeah, good rookie year, but second year, not so much. Wyatt will hopefully develop, but his contributions as a rookie, not much.

Yet both of them had significantly more impact than Love who wasn't even active for a single game in his rookie campaign.

My main point was this. People claiming Gute messed up by selecting Love, insist that another player would have contributed far more. This not only discounts anything Love might have added such as motivation to Rodgers, scout team, backup QB, etc. It also implies that any other player picked, besides a QB, improves the Packers enough to make a difference in their record. I just don't see that from a lot of late first round picks. Especially in years 1-3.

Once again, I don't know if another prospect selected would have made a difference in the team's winning record. But it's ignorant to act as if a receiver who has caught 215 balls for 3,028 yards and 19 touchdowns since being drafted in 2020 wouldn't have had a bigger impact than Love has had so far.

I've never met you, Aaron Rodgers, Gute, MLF or any posters in this forum, but I have read/listened to, a lot of what these people have said. So tell me, how does "meeting them" change what they say and how I interpret it? Body language? Messages on their hats or t-shirts?

You get a chance to interact with those people in real life and don't have to form your opinion based on what they say in front of a microphone or type on a keyboard. It's actually sad that needs to be explained.

Lol, just the usual suspects still trying to convince the rest of us that Love was a bad pick because he didn't have the immediate impact that any other player would've had.

Actually some of us are suggesting it was a bad idea to select a quarterback in the first round of 2020 as it should have been obvious that a prospect at that position won't have any impact in the first few years on a team that was in a win-now mode.

That's not a knock on Love though as he still has the chance of working out for the Packers in the long haul.

That didn't seem to be the case in 2005 when TT spent a first round pick on Aaron Rodgers.

The Packers found themselves in a completely different situation entering the 2005 draft though. I would be interested in that list consisting of

I can name dozens of draft picks in the last 20 years that didn't immediately help the Packers, but you and others want to pinpoint the Jordan Love pick, as the key one. :roflmao:

I would be interested in a list of first round picks in the past 20 years who had no impact in their first three seasons in the league. You don't even have to limit it to the ones selected by the Packers.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As mentioned repeatedly there isn't any anti-Love crowd around here. In addition it's bogus that you consider yourself to be superior fans of the team based on your approval of Love's selection.

With him being the starter entering this season I will definitely root for him to succeed as well.
I said "Anti-Love pick crowd".
You responded as if i said anti Love. I know you read it because your next sentence is about "Love's selection"

When you have to resort to such strawman arguments it betrays your understanding of how weak your position is.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I’m not talking about 2005. I’m talking about the years Love was on the team. The fact that you continue to ignore the central premise of what I’m saying by bringing up scores of unrelated scenarios sort of answers my point though.
I see. So your premise is that by drafting Jordan Love, Gute cost us a Super Bowl or 2 or 3? Yet, you are unwilling to take your premise past that 1 draft pick and apply it elsewhere. Nor are you willing to look at other variables in what it takes to win SB's. Sort of answers my point though. You are pinning the Packers lack of success (winning a SB) on one single pick, a pick that you didn't like from the beginning. Makes sense, gives you something to complain about.

I guess we should start talking about how the Sean Clifford pick cost us a 2023 SB, since I am guessing that you didn't like that pick either.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The great thing about being perpetually angered about draft picks is that, without a string of Super Bowl victories, you can always point to something you didn't like to continue the cycle. If Love wasn't the pick and it was someone else, I'm sure the narrative would be 'If only they took X position' if they didn't make the Super Bowl.

I'm more annoyed at their inability to get nothing out of the 3rd round for years rather than pondering what may or may not have occurred with some random backend 1st round pick in 1 single year.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The great thing about being perpetually angered about draft picks is that, without a string of Super Bowl victories, you can always point to something you didn't like to continue the cycle. If Love wasn't the pick and it was someone else, I'm sure the narrative would be 'If only they took X position' if they didn't make the Super Bowl.

I'm more annoyed at their inability to get nothing out of the 3rd round for years rather than pondering what may or may not have occurred with some random backend 1st round pick in 1 single year.
If a single 1st rounder is responsible for SBs, then we should have traded Rodgers 3 years ago, when he was worth 3 firsts. Not taking a WR cost us a SB, but keeping Rodgers and not starting Love right away cost us 3 Superbowls!

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see. So your premise is that by drafting Jordan Love, Gute cost us a Super Bowl or 2 or 3? Yet, you are unwilling to take your premise past that 1 draft pick and apply it elsewhere. Nor are you willing to look at other variables in what it takes to win SB's. Sort of answers my point though. You are pinning the Packers lack of success (winning a SB) on one single pick, a pick that you didn't like from the beginning. Makes sense, gives you something to complain about.

I guess we should start talking about how the Sean Clifford pick cost us a 2023 SB, since I am guessing that you didn't like that pick either.

Because that draft could have been (some would say should have been) Michael Pittman Jr or Tee Higgins. It's very easy to extrapolate how either of those players would have helped the Packers when compared to a player who sat on the bench the entire game against the Bucs (easiest extrapolation) or the 49ers.

Lets assume the Packers drafted Pittman rather than Higgins (Pittman fits the athletic profile the Packers tend to favor more closely than Higgins AND Pittman is the worse of the two players so this is, imo, being as conservative as I can get). In the NFCCG, the Packers' offense put up 26 points against the Bucs (for reference, the Chiefs managed to score 9 points in the Super Bowl); 16 of those 26 came in the second half, when the offense was missing Aaron Jones, the second leading passing target on the season and Jones was also tied with Lazard and MVS with six in that game, and the Bucs switched their defense to take Adams out of the game. Now, is Pittman an elite receiver? No. Is he better than Lazard in the receiving game (Lazard is the better blocker)? Yes, Pittman is the better receiver. I don't think it's a stretch to say that, had the Packers been able to rely on a guy who had over 1,000 yards receiving with Wentz as his QB, it would have been a huge upgrade in the passing game that could have either taken advantage of the Bucs overloading to take out Adams or even prevented the Bucs from being able to focus all their attention on Adams. Now, take everything I just said above and apply it to the 49ers game but now Pittman is a second-year receiver.

See, what I did here, which I like to do in general, is lay out a rational, logical discussion on how things might have changed based on a scenario which a LOT of people saw, prior to the 2020 draft, as the direction the Packers should have gone. What you continue to do, is ignore the central point of "Love didn't play a single snap during either NFCCG so a player that DID PLAY would have been more helpful" by bringing up a guy picked in the fifth round for a rebuilding team. I would love to hear a cogent response from someone that refutes what I have said. Perhaps you think Pittman wouldn't have been good enough to outpace Marcedes Lewis. I wouldn't agree but that response would at least address what I'm saying, rather than ignoring the premise of the discussion and spouting random drafted players for rebuilding teams and ignoring any and all context. E.g., why would I have to apply my very specific 2020 draft scenario to the 2005 or the 2023 draft where there was no similarity?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say spending a 5th rounder on a QB when you have a starter, any starter, is pretty normal and rather acceptable to almost all fans. Even if it's a HOF and MVP caliber starter, it still makes sense 4th round or later to take a QB almost every year in fact and most fans wouldn't have much issue with it.

I don't see too any that are anti-love in general. There are some that believe the pick was a mistake and my position since that happened was, if he becomes a good QB, whenever that is, it was a good pick. It is the most important position on the field and very hard to find the good ones. If you can take one, you do. I don't really care that Rodgers was our QB at the time, you never let the other guys have a great QB if you can have him. At the very least you get a big payout when you trade him down the road, at best, you have another run at SB's with a quality QB running the show.

BUT, there are a few, equally as many if not more, who won't or can't see the very legitimate argument some others are making. at least IMO. I think it's very fair to say if Love doesn't pan out to be a good QB, it was a fairly large waste of an opportunity to put it mildly. Nobody is saying it would have been a sure thing for a super bowl. but as close as we were, it's not a big step to say anyone that contributed could have nudged just that little bit we needed.

Fans across the league lament failed 1st round picks every year when they don't work out like they hoped. Much more than 4th, 5th, 6th round picks though we can all agree that anybody from anywhere in the draft "could" be the difference. But I think we could also all agree the odds a 1st rounder "could" be the difference is higher than later rounds.

It should hardly be a surprise fans of a team who had a HOF player at a position already used a first rounder on replacing him and hasn't really seen the field yet didn't really care for the ROI yet. Especially considering just how close they got a couple of those years.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because that draft could have been (some would say should have been) Michael Pittman Jr or Tee Higgins. It's very easy to extrapolate how either of those players would have helped the Packers when compared to a player who sat on the bench the entire game against the Bucs (easiest extrapolation) or the 49ers.

This goes to my point. If the Packer's didn't select Love and would not have select Pittman or Higgins, then you would have taken issue of the wasted opportunity because they didn't select Pittman/Higgins because, in your mind, that is what they should have done.

There is nothing to suggest with the Packers modern draft history that WR would have been the pick in the 1st round anyways.

I've stated, and will maintain, that I can see the logic in the Love pick given the state of the world at that given moment. There was a non-zero chance that the 2020 season might not have been played due to COVID, which would have greatly impacted the cap even further and probably forced the Packers to move on from Rodgers given play slippage and salary and, in that scenario, not having played in 2 years. Jones probably would never have resigned either in that case which also probably played into the Dillon pick.

If Love goes on to have a Hall of Fame career and wins 4 Super Bowls, I assume it will forever be 'Ya but.. they should have never drafted him' for some.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If a single 1st rounder is responsible for SBs, then we should have traded Rodgers 3 years ago, when he was worth 3 firsts. Not taking a WR cost us a SB, but keeping Rodgers and not starting Love right away cost us 3 Superbowls!
Completely accurate post. I mean there are usually 32 1st round picks and only one team wins the SB. Now that one team is usually pretty good going into the draft. I think that narrows it down to the number of 1st round picks that could possibly make that type of difference. I don't know maybe like a 13-4 team who made it to the Conference Championship game the previous season. Again, I agree with you that the odds are against it. I just do not agree that the odds are quite as high as you make it sound in the case of the Packers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would love to hear a cogent response from someone that refutes what I have said. Perhaps you think Pittman wouldn't have been good enough to outpace Marcedes Lewis.
Nobody is refuting the fact that by using hindsight, Pittman may have improved the Packers. Again, it is a hindsight argument. If you want to go there, lets talk about why the Packers didn't select Darnell Mooney in the same draft. The Bears got him in the 5th round (#173). Damn, Gute passed him up for Deguara and easily could have moved down 3 spots to get Mooney instead of Kamal Martin. What an idiot THAT Gute. Packers would have won a SB with Mooney! Go back one draft, Gute really screwed up by drafting Savage instead of DK Metcalf! Damn, lost SB appearence!

I can go on and on. You chose to target the Love pick, because you see no value in Love. Whereas Gute and many Packer fans understood his value in 2020 and even more so now.

Fun facts...In 2020, the Packers #3 WR, Allen Lazard stats VS Pittman.

Lazard: 10 games 33 rec. 46 targets 451 yds, 3 TD's

Pittman: 13 games 41/61 503 yds, 1 TD

Yeah....Pittman would have been the difference maker! Damn Gute! :rolleyes:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This goes to my point. If the Packer's didn't select Love and would not have select Pittman or Higgins, then you would have taken issue of the wasted opportunity because they didn't select Pittman/Higgins because, in your mind, that is what they should have done.

There is nothing to suggest with the Packers modern draft history that WR would have been the pick in the 1st round anyways.

I've stated, and will maintain, that I can see the logic in the Love pick given the state of the world at that given moment. There was a non-zero chance that the 2020 season might not have been played due to COVID, which would have greatly impacted the cap even further and probably forced the Packers to move on from Rodgers given play slippage and salary and, in that scenario, not having played in 2 years. Jones probably would never have resigned either in that case which also probably played into the Dillon pick.

If Love goes on to have a Hall of Fame career and wins 4 Super Bowls, I assume it will forever be 'Ya but.. they should have never drafted him' for some.

Sure, then remove the WR and let's just assume it's a player that actually helped the team on the field. You keep bringing up all these other issues (like 2020 not being played which I'm not sure the ripple effects there) but avoid discussing how a player who would have helped the team (like say a safety or corner or linebacker) versus a player who did not help the team. I'm not arguing that Love will be terrible, I'm simply stating that the packers were really close to two Super Bowls and Love did nothing on the field to help the team get closer. Some fans seem okay with using a first-round pick on a player that does not help a Super Bowl contending team win a Super Bowl, I'm not one of those fans.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Some fans seem okay with using a first-round pick on a player that does not help a Super Bowl contending team win a Super Bowl, I'm not one of those fans.
You must have been suicidal after the Packers selected Rodgers in 2005. They were coming off of a 10-6 season, that saw them win the NFC North. The last thing they needed to do was waste a first round pick on Aaron Rodgers! Just as you undoubtedly predicted, they finished Rodgers rookie year at 4-12...damn do nothing Rodgers, he cost them a SB!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sure, then remove the WR and let's just assume it's a player that actually helped the team on the field. You keep bringing up all these other issues (like 2020 not being played which I'm not sure the ripple effects there) but avoid discussing how a player who would have helped the team (like say a safety or corner or linebacker) versus a player who did not help the team. I'm not arguing that Love will be terrible, I'm simply stating that the packers were really close to two Super Bowls and Love did nothing on the field to help the team get closer. Some fans seem okay with using a first-round pick on a player that does not help a Super Bowl contending team win a Super Bowl, I'm not one of those fans.
Why are you only choosing the draft and Jordan Love as your only reason that the Packers didn't win a SB in 2020 or beyond? Let's talk about Free Agents that they didn't sign. There is a long list of impactful free agents that had a much better chance at helping the Packers more than Pittman.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You keep bringing up all these other issues (like 2020 not being played which I'm not sure the ripple effects there) but avoid discussing how a player who would have helped the team

So, any counter argument of why the Packers didn't use that pick to select a player is not adequate and arguments can only revolve around what player was or wasn't picked? Seems like you wanted counter arguments, but one is given on why maybe a 1st round pick was used on Love, but was dismissed because it deals with things outside the draft that might have impacted said draft. The Packers have a tendency to not draft for immediate need, but rather a need for the next year or two.

On draft night, would I have liked the Packers to take a different player? Sure. Would they have helped? No idea. I've accepted the possibility that there were a lot more dynamics in play that drove the Love pick other than just finding a guy to help us that season. (Rodgers perceived decline, unknowns in the NFL for 2020 for COVID, Rodgers personality, his salary). Those same things led TT to pick Rodgers so, maybe Gute thought this was his time because of whatever was going on.

Last edited:

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must have been suicidal after the Packers selected Rodgers in 2005. They were coming off of a 10-6 season, that saw them win the NFC North. The last thing they needed to do was waste a first round pick on Aaron Rodgers! Just as you undoubtedly predicted, they finished Rodgers rookie year at 4-12...damn do nothing Rodgers, he cost them a SB!
There are similarities, but the 2004 team, as good as it was, was a little bit of a time bomb. Marco Rivera was old and a pending FA. Mike Wahle (spelling?) was signed to a terrible contract and was cut. I seem to recall he was going to make top-5 LT money...as a left guard. And then Darren Sharper got cut. There were other issues, but those three highlight the issues at hand. The roster was aging and legitimately in cap trouble, which is honestly kind of hard to do.

2005 was a hard-reset of the roster for a team that had run its course.

The difference was that the 2019 Packers, were oddly enough, ascending.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Nobody is refuting the fact that by using hindsight, Pittman may have improved the Packers. Again, it is a hindsight argument. If you want to go there, lets talk about why the Packers didn't select Darnell Mooney in the same draft. The Bears got him in the 5th round (#173). Damn, Gute passed him up for Deguara and easily could have moved down 3 spots to get Mooney instead of Kamal Martin. What an idiot THAT Gute. Packers would have won a SB with Mooney! Go back one draft, Gute really screwed up by drafting Savage instead of DK Metcalf! Damn, lost SB appearence!

I can go on and on. You chose to target the Love pick, because you see no value in Love. Whereas Gute and many Packer fans understood his value in 2020 and even more so now.

Here is next argument..

Pittman didn't have rodgers

D

Deleted member 6794

I said "Anti-Love pick crowd".
You responded as if i said anti Love. I know you read it because your next sentence is about "Love's selection"

When you have to resort to such strawman arguments it betrays your understanding of how weak your position is.

You're the one resorting to strawman arguments when trying to ignore that Love hasn't had any impact since being drafted by the Packers so far.

Let's use PFR's approximate value to put it into perspective (As a disclaimer, I'm well aware the metric isn't perfect but it's better than any other out there I have access to).

According to those numbers there were a total of 1,549 out of 1,635 (94.74%) first round picks since 1966 who had bigger impact than Love in the first three seasons in the league. Since the rookie wage scale was implented in 2011 309 out 319 (96.87%) first rounders had a bigger impact.

So please, stop acting as if it's not a fact that nearly every other player picked at that spot would have had a larger impact than Love in his first three seasons in the league.

With that being said he has a chance to end up being a successful pick for the team in the long haul. In my opinion he needs to win a Super Bowl with the Packers to achieve that though.

The huge difference being that selecting a prospect at any other position (aside of special teams) would have made much more sense at that point though.

Love definitely wasn't a random first round pick though. In addition it should be pretty obvious that it's more difficult to select impact players in the third round.

No, the Packers could have selected any other prospect at that spot and it would have been all but guaranteed he would have had a bigger impact up until now.

As mentioned above, if the Packers end up winning one Super Bowl with Love the pick will end up being a great one in the long haul.

Once again, a lot of fans advocated for the Packers to use their 2020 first rounder on a wide receiver like Higgins or Pittman. It's not a hindsight argument.

It would be to suggest Mooney would have been a great choice but nobody is doing that.

There's no reason to compare Pittman to Lazard. Here's the statline for the player drafted instead of Pittman:

Love: 18 games - 18 games inactive

Why are you only choosing the draft and Jordan Love as your only reason that the Packers didn't win a SB in 2020 or beyond? Let's talk about Free Agents that they didn't sign. There is a long list of impactful free agents that had a much better chance at helping the Packers more than Pittman.

The Packers didn't have a lot of cap space to be active in free agency in 2020. That made it even worse to spend their most precious asset on a player who wasn't even active once that year.

The Packers have a tendency to not draft for immediate need, but rather a need for the next year or two.

That's correct, unfortunately it seems they focus too much on the future instead of the present though.

Those same things led TT to pick Rodgers so, maybe Gute thought this was his time because of whatever was going on.

Once again I agree with that. It seems to me that Gutekunst tried to force selecting a future HOF quarterback because it worked 15 years earlier for Thompson but didn't realize the team found itself in a completely different situation in 2020.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I will gladly admit that the PACKERS should have drafted Love if he wins 2 SBs for the Green Bay Packers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I will gladly admit that the PACKERS should have drafted Love if he wins 2 SBs for the Green Bay Packers.
So using that standard, they never should have drafted Rodgers or traded for Favre?

If Love plays above average and has a long career in GB, I would call him a really solid pick. If Love can guide the Packers to a SB and/or a lot of successful seasons, I would call him a great pick.

Members online

Latest posts