The Jordan Love Era Begins

Will Jordan Love be 3 in a row for the Packers?

• Yes, he's a FHOF Player

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • He'll be pro bowl good but not FHOF good

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • He'll be average

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • No, he'll be a below average bust

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Too early to Tell

Votes: 29 42.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I had never went back to Aaron's 2007 (year before switch) and looked at just what he showed, albeit I remember that Dallas game and truly seeing something like everyone else but this is a little odd:

Rodgers played just limited snaps week 10 vs MIN that year but then DAL he had 26 attempts, 18 completions with a TD...he ended the year with this line:

20 Completions / 28 Attempts / 71.4% / 218 yards / 1 TD

Love last year ended with this line:

14 completions / 21 Attempts / 66.6% / 195 yards / 1 TD

Just from actual regular season snaps taken I really wish a reliable source dated back to Rodgers as I'm assuming Love has given GB far more real season snaps than Rodgers had to this point but that's a claim I cannot make.

If you add up all of Rodgers stats before his switch season and Loves it is:

RODGERS
35 Completions / 59 Attempts / 59.3% / 329 Yards / 1 TD / 1 INT
LOVE
50 Completions / 83 Attempts / 60.2% / 606 Yards / 3 TD / 3 INT

Just crazy to think GB has more intel/live reps to judge Love off of than we ever had on Rodgers.....amazing how time at least made this Packer fan forget just how little actual knowledge of who Aaron was existed beyond practice flashes or pre-season stuff. I would have argued we knew or saw more, but truly that Dallas game was essentially it.
I would also add that during each QB's time as a backup, Rodgers was working with a much better receiving room.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would also add that during each QB's time as a backup, Rodgers was working with a much better receiving room.

On the whole yes I concede that, however Love got to work with Prime Davante which I'm going to say something that I don't mean offensive to anyone else (Nelson or others included), Prime Davante is massively better than any receiver we've had on our team in my whole life.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although his success was chiefly attributable to having a stellar WR in Adams, once Adams left, Rodgers strugggled.
Brett Favre was able to do a lot more with terrible receivers than Rodgers was. In 2001, Favre led the Packers to a 12-4 record with Bill Schroeder as their #1 receiver. Schroeder was not a good player. Freeman was their #2 receiver that year, but he was clearly washed up if he couldn't put up better numbers than Schroeder.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett Favre was able to do a lot more with terrible receivers than Rodgers was. In 2001, Favre led the Packers to a 12-4 record with Bill Schroeder as their #1 receiver. Schroeder was not a good player. Freeman was their #2 receiver that year, but he was clearly washed up if he couldn't put up better numbers than Schroeder.
give me that 2001 Offensive line, TE, RB's and WR's vs what we had on the field for most of last year. any time.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amish-I have to push back a little on this narrative that drafting Love made Rodgers play better. I believe I have read your posts depicting that Rodgers played much better because he ran the MLF offense. So, which was it, chip on his shoulder or he checked his ego and ran the offense? Now in a conversation over a sandwich and a beverage I would wait for your answer but what seems to happen on here is threads get mixed up and not everyone follows what was said previously when posts are quoted. With that in mind I am going to surmise that you are going to say it was both.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
On the whole yes I concede that, however Love got to work with Prime Davante which I'm going to say something that I don't mean offensive to anyone else (Nelson or others included), Prime Davante is massively better than any receiver we've had on our team in my whole life.
No offense to Davante, because he IS one of the best, but his stats were also aided by 2 other factors. The QB throwing to him and the lack of quality receivers in the last half of his time in Green Bay.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No offense to Davante, because he IS one of the best, but his stats were also aided by 2 other factors. The QB throwing to him and the lack of quality receivers in the last half of his time in Green Bay.

I am not even caring one bit on what his stat lines were. I'm purely talking the quality of WR he was, ability to create separation against any kind of coverage or man on him. He was light years ahead of everyone, Nelson was the closest and still big gap.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amish-I have to push back a little on this narrative that drafting Love made Rodgers play better. I believe I have read your posts depicting that Rodgers played much better because he ran the MLF offense. So, which was it, chip on his shoulder or he checked his ego and ran the offense? Now in a conversation over a sandwich and a beverage I would wait for your answer but what seems to happen on here is threads get mixed up and not everyone follows what was said previously when posts are quoted. With that in mind I am going to surmise that you are going to say it was both.

Just @AmishMafia tag him that way he wouldn't miss mention of him and I have no doubt he'll provide a response.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm not Amish but I will give you my 2 cents, for whatever it is worth. There are a lot of variables that factored into Rodgers performance over the years. Some on the field variables and yes, I think some off the field as well. Rodgers is the definition of a "competitor" and that is both on and off the field.

I doubt there is an athlete that can go out on the field, court, ice, diamond, etc. that can completely forget about what is currently and has been happening elsewhere in their life and just do their job. Those outside things effect a player and even as much of a competitor as Rodgers is, they effect him too, both on and off the field. So anyone saying that the drafting of Love didn't motivate him in some way, is really ignoring human nature. Was it Gute's intention to motivate Rodgers, that played into the drafting of Love? Personally, I don't think so. Then again, I didn't think that Rodgers would take the drafting of Love in such a negative way either, nor did I think that the Packers did either.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I am not even caring one bit on what his stat lines were. I'm purely talking the quality of WR he was, ability to create separation against any kind of coverage or man on him. He was light years ahead of everyone, Nelson was the closest and still big gap.
No doubt Davante is a great WR. However, I was just saying that overall, Rodgers first 3 seasons and more, were aided by a pretty decent receiving room. Whereas Love, not so much, Davante Adams being about it, for above average talent.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Were you around for Sterling Sharpe? Cuz if you were, I can’t agree with that.

I was but not of age to actually digest what I watching really being born in 1986. I 100% would agree Sharpe was another level above Adams if honest. Good correction of record on that for me - I admit I truly was thinking more last two decades

Jayzee1981

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Reaction score
I was pretty confident entering the 2020 offseason that Rodgers would be able to return to being an elite quarterback, posted that many times at that point. While I didn't know it Gutekunst should have been able to get that impression by being around him before drafting Love.
Nobody predicted Rodgers would have 2 back to back MVP’s including yourself. That has been the argument you’ve promoted all along.
But thank you Nostradamus! :tup:
There's no doubt that it's possible to find a franchise quarterback outside the top 10 in the first round of the draft but the odds aren't in favor of doing so. Just take a look at the list I posted of the ones drafted at those spots since 2010.
?? I don’t know why you keep saying this?? It’s so obvious that the odds aren’t in favor of finding a FRANCHISE anything outside of 10 overall. I’m not even sure it guarantees you a HOF Kicker (see Charlie Gogolak). Does that mean we should be scaredy cats and not draft a QB past 10 overall? I don’t know about you but the last thing I want? is an ultra timid GM
yeah, there isn't a drop of booze anywhere to be found in Green Bay.
But yeah point taken that night life party life in 1992 Green Bay just rivaled Miami and Atlanta! There was a better party life in little old lacrosse WI around that timeframe. Although we had like 100 Bars on 1 street so theres that :whistling:

PS. I think Some guys I know did flip some cop cars over at City Hall because the cops tried to shut the Bars on 3rd street down early. Don’t mess with the best cause the best don’t mess!
It was all Hearsay though! :coffee:

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was but not of age to actually digest what I watching really being born in 1986. I 100% would agree Sharpe was another level above Adams if honest. Good correction of record on that for me - I admit I truly was thinking more last two decades
Was going to "correct" you with a Sterling Sharpe comment but was beaten to it. IF Sharpe had Favre and/or AR throwing to him AND had his career not been cut short (neck stenosis) I think Sharpe would've been "the Jerry Rice pinnacle" that other WR's are measured against. I didn't fully appreciate Sterling when he was playing, but he was the best "modern era" WR to play in GB, IMHO.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was going to "correct" you with a Sterling Sharpe comment but was beaten to it. IF Sharpe had Favre and/or AR throwing to him AND had his career not been cut short (neck stenosis) I think Sharpe would've been "the Jerry Rice pinnacle" that other WR's are measured against. I didn't fully appreciate Sterling when he was playing, but he was the best "modern era" WR to play in GB, IMHO.

I could not argue against that. Let three decades there is a clear 1 him, and a clear 2 Davante for me….after that arguments can be made for a few truthfully for the third place.

Reaction score
Both those guys were (are) just great, but Sterling’s trajectory was better. 1,423 yards in his 2nd season is just incredible, especially for the 1980’s. Similar talents, but Sterling gets the edge

I hope Love can start getting a connection with a WR. We could use a Love to Doubs or Watson bond like we had with Aaron and Jordy or Davante

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
One really has to wonder what Sharpe and the Packers could have done, had he not been forced to give up the game in 1994, 7 years into his career. In the span of his seven seasons in the League, he was second in receptions and receiving yards along with being third in touchdowns (with Jerry Rice being ahead of him in each category).

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Both those guys were (are) just great, but Sterling’s trajectory was better. 1,423 yards in his 2nd season is just incredible, especially for the 1980’s. Similar talents, but Sterling gets the edge

I hope Love can start getting a connection with a WR. We could use a Love to Doubs or Watson bond like we had with Aaron and Jordy or Davante
I know some people are expecting/hoping for Love to be an instant success, but nobody should lose sight of the fact that his receiving group (WR's and TE's) will probably be the "greenest" in the NFL. Couple that with a first time starting QB and well, I guess we will see. I am excited about the group, but even Davante Adams didn't blossom until maybe year 3 and finally became pretty dominant in year 5.

Reaction score
I know some people are expecting/hoping for Love to be an instant success, but nobody should lose sight of the fact that his receiving group (WR's and TE's) will probably be the "greenest" in the NFL. Couple that with a first time starting QB and well, I guess we will see. I am excited about the group, but even Davante Adams didn't blossom until maybe year 3 and finally became pretty dominant in year 5.
Yes and we should temper expectations.

One thing that’s odd this season is we don’t really have greatly experienced Receiving options and thus I think it could speed up Receiver growth some.

In 2014
Jordy 1,519 yards
Randall 1,287 yards

JJ 890
Cobb 829
Richard Rodgers
(We clearly fed R Rodgers by design)

Then notice Davante rises in year 3
Jordy 1,257
Adams 997 yards

Without the experienced level “go to” my argument is that 1 will have to be established. It could very well happen in year 2 vs the more typical year 3 season riser. I will not be surprised at all if we have a 1,000+WR this season.
We could also see a trifecta of
700- 900 yard guys in a committee approach.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yes and we should temper expectations.

One thing that’s odd this season is we don’t really have greatly experienced Receiving options and thus I think it could speed up Receiver growth some.

In 2014
Jordy 1,519 yards
Randall 1,287 yards

JJ 890
Cobb 829
Richard Rodgers
(We clearly fed R Rodgers by design)

Then notice Davante rises in year 3
Jordy 1,257
Adams 997 yards

Without the experienced level “go to” my argument is that 1 will have to be established. It could very well happen in year 2 vs the more typical year 3 season riser. I will not be surprised at all if we have a 1,000+WR this season.
We could also see a trifecta of
700- 900 yard guys in a committee approach.

While I agree with you on the stats, I was referring more to the type/level of play that we should be prepared to see. Remember, Davante was nicknamed "Paddle Hands" by many and those same fans felt he was a bust. I expect missed connections, wrong routes, dropped passes and a feeling of "WTF is this offense doing out there?" I wouldn't call 2023 a "17 game preseason", but at times, I do think we might see that type of play out of the offense.

Jayzee1981

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hear Love and Doubs a

I hope Love can start getting a connection with a WR. We could use a Love to Doubs or Watson bond like we had with Aaron and Jordy or Davanre having a nice
Im hearing Love and Doubs seem to be getting just that early on

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One really has to wonder what Sharpe and the Packers could have done, had he not been forced to give up the game in 1994, 7 years into his career. In the span of his seven seasons in the League, he was second in receptions and receiving yards along with being third in touchdowns (with Jerry Rice being ahead of him in each category).
The Packers never advanced past the Divisional Round with Sharpe. They broke through to the conference championship game in 1995 when Favre was forced to spread the ball around after he retired. Maybe if Rodgers had learned that lesson in his last couple playoffs, he could have broken through to his second Super Bowl.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is never just 1 reason, usually a series of factors that all play a role to varying degrees. Those 2 are mostly the same. Because he was slighted, he checked his ego and focused (in part) on running the offense.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wouldn't a petulant child do the opposite? IMO if slighted they would want to prove, not only they can do it, but they can do it their way. So your theory is, Love gets drafted, Rodgers checks his ego while having a chip on his shoulder, runs the MLF offense, wins 2 MVPs, signs a huge contract, then goes rogue and doesn't run the MLF offense? I guess that could be the case, but as I previously stated a person with the character traits you have described Rodgers as having would have gone straight to going rouge IMO.
By the way how does the cake taste? TIC.

Members online

Latest posts