The Jordan Love Era Begins

Will Jordan Love be 3 in a row for the Packers?

• Yes, he's a FHOF Player

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • He'll be pro bowl good but not FHOF good

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • He'll be average

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • No, he'll be a below average bust

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Too early to Tell

Votes: 29 42.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We weren’t getting it done with the best QB on the field nearly every season. We’ll get lots of excuses but about half of the problem was the Offense not performing to expectation in the playoffs.

I’m really hoping this Defense can get a little closer to expectations. If it does? We could fall right into 9-10 Wins and a playoff birth. If we can run the ball effectively and hold teams under 19.0 per contest, we might be surprised and Win at a good click. (8-9 games etc)
And many of those playoff losses were at Lambeau.

D

Deleted member 6794

Day 3 rarely gets you a franchise QB. I don’t believe Brian wasn’t looking for a career backup or QB3. Although had Love been drafted elsewhere? Imo there’s a 50/50 chance we still took one in Day 3 as you said as it had been 5 drafts. However here Brian specifically said they didn’t have any other player rated nearly as high pre draft. Therefore I commend the staff for sticking to their game plan.

It's rare to draft a franchise quarterback outside of the top 10 in the first round as well. Just take a look at the guys selected in that spot since 2010.

While that is true. It’s 100% hindsight and thus not a valid argument pre draft 2020. He was arguably wrong in a short term philosophy (we don’t even 100% know he would’ve taken a WR in Day1 no one else did after #25) but yet to be determined in medium to long term.

Of course hundsight bats 1.000 and always will - Gute and them however didn’t have that knowledge then.

Once again, fans that criticized the selection of Love from the get-go didn't use hindsight to mention Rodgers wasn't done though. They were just proven to be correct about it years down the road.

It's gotta be every GM's dream to draft or otherwise acquire a future HOF QB. It's the most important position on the team.

That's true and in my opinion significantly impacted the decision of Gutekunst to reach for a quarterback when there was no need for it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was critical of the pick as not needed, however the statement made was that because Rodgers did well after the pick there was no need…that was something zero of us knew but God at the time of the selection.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had never went back to Aaron's 2007 (year before switch) and looked at just what he showed, albeit I remember that Dallas game and truly seeing something like everyone else but this is a little odd:

Rodgers played just limited snaps week 10 vs MIN that year but then DAL he had 26 attempts, 18 completions with a TD...he ended the year with this line:

20 Completions / 28 Attempts / 71.4% / 218 yards / 1 TD

Love last year ended with this line:

14 completions / 21 Attempts / 66.6% / 195 yards / 1 TD

Just from actual regular season snaps taken I really wish a reliable source dated back to Rodgers as I'm assuming Love has given GB far more real season snaps than Rodgers had to this point but that's a claim I cannot make.

If you add up all of Rodgers stats before his switch season and Loves it is:

RODGERS
35 Completions / 59 Attempts / 59.3% / 329 Yards / 1 TD / 1 INT
LOVE
50 Completions / 83 Attempts / 60.2% / 606 Yards / 3 TD / 3 INT

Just crazy to think GB has more intel/live reps to judge Love off of than we ever had on Rodgers.....amazing how time at least made this Packer fan forget just how little actual knowledge of who Aaron was existed beyond practice flashes or pre-season stuff. I would have argued we knew or saw more, but truly that Dallas game was essentially it.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, fans that criticized the selection of Love from the get-go didn't use hindsight to mention Rodgers wasn't done though. They were just proven to be correct about it years down the road.

That's true and in my opinion significantly impacted the decision of Gutekunst to reach for a quarterback when there was no need for it.
Once again, you were not correct that Love was a reach, or that there was no need for the selection.

NFLN - yesterday (paraphrase)
'The selection of Love paid huge dividends to the Packers. Rodgers had been declining in performance and attitude, and the perceived slight of selecting his replacement, put that draft day slight chip back on his shoulder and the Packers got another 3 good years out of him.'

And the guy wasn't being controversial or quirky, they were talking as if this is generally understood by most. Except the most ardent Rodgers devotees, I suppose.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had never went back to Aaron's 2007 (year before switch) and looked at just what he showed, albeit I remember that Dallas game and truly seeing something like everyone else but this is a little odd:

Rodgers played just limited snaps week 10 vs MIN that year but then DAL he had 26 attempts, 18 completions with a TD...he ended the year with this line:

20 Completions / 28 Attempts / 71.4% / 218 yards / 1 TD

Love last year ended with this line:

14 completions / 21 Attempts / 66.6% / 195 yards / 1 TD

Just from actual regular season snaps taken I really wish a reliable source dated back to Rodgers as I'm assuming Love has given GB far more real season snaps than Rodgers had to this point but that's a claim I cannot make.

If you add up all of Rodgers stats before his switch season and Loves it is:

RODGERS
35 Completions / 59 Attempts / 59.3% / 329 Yards / 1 TD / 1 INT
LOVE
50 Completions / 83 Attempts / 60.2% / 606 Yards / 3 TD / 3 INT

Just crazy to think GB has more intel/live reps to judge Love off of than we ever had on Rodgers.....amazing how time at least made this Packer fan forget just how little actual knowledge of who Aaron was existed beyond practice flashes or pre-season stuff. I would have argued we knew or saw more, but truly that Dallas game was essentially it.
All true but IMHO, Rodgers played with more poise and I had more faith in him at that point.

I dont think Love is a sure thing but I think he has as much chance or more to succeed than any QB selected in this last draft. The value of sitting and learning behind a master is huge.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All true but IMHO, Rodgers played with more poise and I had more faith in him at that point.

I dont think Love is a sure thing but I think he has as much chance or more to succeed than any QB selected in this last draft. The value of sitting and learning behind a master is huge.

I mean as far as poise, and appearing just at ease and comfortable - while he didn't exhibit that to the same level in 2021, I'll be honest that is the only thing I felt confident in this year. He was absolutely comfortable when his call came a few times this past year.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We weren’t getting it done with the best QB on the field nearly every season. We’ll get lots of excuses but about half of the problem was the Offense not performing to expectation in the playoffs.

I’m really hoping this Defense can get a little closer to expectations. If it does? We could fall right into 9-10 Wins and a playoff birth. If we can run the ball effectively and hold teams under 19.0 per contest, we might be surprised and Win at a good click. (8-9 games etc)
Pretty fair assessment. And all we need to do is look at that divisional loss to SF a few years ago in GB, where the Niners didn't score an offensive TD but still won, to sum up the Rodgers-led teams in the playoffs.

Reaction score
It's rare to draft a franchise quarterback outside of the top 10 in the first round as well. Just take a look at the guys selected in that spot since 2010.
Interesting you should say it’s rare to see a franchise QB get drafted outside of the Top 10 overall? Now I’d expect that from a Bears fan ;)

First of all.. it goes without saying that it’s hard for ANY qb to be a “Franchise QB” That even includes top 10 drafted failures. The vast majority of QB’s drafted inside #10 do not become franchise QB’s

Outside #10
Ben Roth
Deshawn Watson
Chris Miller
Jim Kelly
Mac Jones
Randy Johnson
Tony Eason
Doug Williams
Joe Flacco
Jason Campbell
Jim Harbsugh
Dan Marino
Jimmy G
Lamar Jackson

I tried to stay in Day 1 only

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Read this on a Falcon's site regarding the drafting of Favre and a comment jumped out (bolded)...
"To some extent, Glanville’s frustration was warranted, because Favre was immature and relied on his natural talent when he should’ve been working his butt off to earn his spot. With Pro Bowl quarterback Chris Miller firmly entrenched as the starter, Favre should’ve kept his head down, put in the work, and waited for his opportunity. Instead, he drank to excess, pouted, and made sure his time as a Falcon was short-lived." https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2020/...ts-in-falcons-history-the-brett-favre-debacle

Wolf traded the 1992 #17 pick for Favre (who Atlanta spent 1991 #33 pick on). Favre was the 3rd QB taken in 1991, behind Dan McGwire (the St. Louis Cardinal's Mark McGwire's little brother) and Dan Marinovich (huge drinker/druggy since HS).

Favre was either a #17 or #33 pick, however you choose to look at it. AR was #24. Over the last 30+ years GB is 2 for 2 in QB's drafted outside of the top-10. 3 for 3 over 40+ years sure would be an amazing run, but I'm looking forward to it. ;)

Edit: OR, if including Flynn, Brooks, Hasselbeck & Brunell as NFL starters, as well as Hundley, Nall, Detmer, Wacholtz, Martin, etc. then GB QB's outside of top-10 we're still 6 for 15.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Read this on a Falcon's site regarding the drafting of Favre and a comment jumped out (bolded)...
"To some extent, Glanville’s frustration was warranted, because Favre was immature and relied on his natural talent when he should’ve been working his butt off to earn his spot. With Pro Bowl quarterback Chris Miller firmly entrenched as the starter, Favre should’ve kept his head down, put in the work, and waited for his opportunity. Instead, he drank to excess, pouted, and made sure his time as a Falcon was short-lived." https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2020/...ts-in-falcons-history-the-brett-favre-debacle

Wolf traded the 1992 #17 pick for Favre (who Atlanta spent 1991 #33 pick on). Favre was the 3rd QB taken in 1991, behind Dan McGwire (the St. Louis Cardinal's Mark McGwire's little brother) and Dan Marinovich (huge drinker/druggy since HS).

Favre was either a #17 or #33 pick, however you choose to look at it. AR was #24. Over the last 30+ years GB is 2 for 2 in QB's drafted outside of the top-10. 3 for 3 over 40+ years sure would be an amazing run, but I'm looking forward to it. ;)
I read somewhere in an interview with Jerry that The primary reason Favre ended up in GB was because Glanville thought he was going to drink himself out of the league.
Favre had quite a penchant for Booze and the party life in Atlanta was enabling him. I’m not sure if Glanville realized exactly what he had in Favre (whom he referred to as “Mississippi”) but it’s at least noble of him to get him gone to a city without a night life

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read somewhere in an interview with Jerry that The primary reason Favre ended up in GB was because Glanville thought he was going to drink himself out of the league.
Favre had quite a penchant for Booze and the party life in Atlanta was enabling him. I’m not sure if Glanville realized exactly what he had in Favre (whom he referred to as “Mississippi”) but it’s at least noble of him to get him gone to a city without a night life
Guessing that if any team offered GB the #17 pick for King, J. Jackson, J. Jones, Spriggs, Rollins, or Worthy it would've been a no-brainer to take the deal. Glanville hated the Favre pick from the instant it happened, Favre didn't have a prayer of ever playing for him.

Reaction score
Guessing that if any team offered GB the #17 pick for King, J. Jackson, J. Jones, Spriggs, Rollins, or Worthy it would've been a no-brainer to take the deal. Glanville hated the Favre pick from the instant it happened, Favre didn't have a prayer of ever playing for him.
Well yes. The whole “Mississippi” thing just spells total disdain for the player.

I once had a Boss call me “Cowboy” and I can assure you it wasn’t meant as a compliment :laugh:

PS. That boss drank himself right out of a job and I took his place (true story)
Be Careful who you call Cowboy! :whistling:

D

Deleted member 6794

I was critical of the pick as not needed, however the statement made was that because Rodgers did well after the pick there was no need…that was something zero of us knew but God at the time of the selection.

I was pretty confident entering the 2020 offseason that Rodgers would be able to return to being an elite quarterback, posted that many times at that point. While I didn't know it Gutekunst should have been able to get that impression by being around him before drafting Love.

Rodgers had played 87 snaps in the regular season before being named the starter in 2008. Love has been on the field for 157 so far.

Once again, you were not correct that Love was a reach, or that there was no need for the selection.

NFLN - yesterday (paraphrase)
'The selection of Love paid huge dividends to the Packers. Rodgers had been declining in performance and attitude, and the perceived slight of selecting his replacement, put that draft day slight chip back on his shoulder and the Packers got another 3 good years out of him.'

And the guy wasn't being controversial or quirky, they were talking as if this is generally understood by most. Except the most ardent Rodgers devotees, I suppose.

That's pure speculation without any evidence to back it up. And even if there's some truth to it Rodgers was still capable of playing at an elite level, something the Packers should have been aware of.

Pretty fair assessment. And all we need to do is look at that divisional loss to SF a few years ago in GB, where the Niners didn't score an offensive TD but still won, to sum up the Rodgers-led teams in the playoffs.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to take the only one out of 21 playoff games in which the Packers didn't score at least 20 points with Rodgers starting as the best example to sum up their performances with him.

Interesting you should say it’s rare to see a franchise QB get drafted outside of the Top 10 overall? Now I’d expect that from a Bears fan ;)

First of all.. it goes without saying that it’s hard for ANY qb to be a “Franchise QB” That even includes top 10 drafted failures. The vast majority of QB’s drafted inside #10 do not become franchise QB’s

Outside #10
Ben Roth
Deshawn Watson
Chris Miller
Jim Kelly
Mac Jones
Randy Johnson
Tony Eason
Doug Williams
Joe Flacco
Jason Campbell
Jim Harbsugh
Dan Marino
Jimmy G
Lamar Jackson

I tried to stay in Day 1 only

There's no doubt that it's possible to find a franchise quarterback outside the top 10 in the first round of the draft but the odds aren't in favor of doing so. Just take a look at the list I posted of the ones drafted at those spots since 2010.

In addition you can't be serious considering Chris Miller, Mac Jones, Randy Johnson, Tony Eason, Doug Williams, Jason Campbell and Jimmy Garropolo and to a lesser degree Joe Flacco and Jim Harbaugh as franchise quarterbacks.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

To say zero of us knew Rodgers wasnt a declining player after the 2019 season is ludicrous...Im quite sure there was plenty of us who still thought he had a lot left in the tank. We were right...

But that doesn't mean gutey was wrong for drafting Love. If Love does indeed turn into 3 in a row, he too was right...

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was pretty confident entering the 2020 offseason that Rodgers would be able to return to being an elite quarterback, posted that many times at that point. While I didn't know it Gutekunst should have been able to get that impression by being around him before drafting

Come on Capt. Ten years from now you will be confident your hero could still do it if they just traded up and drafted only WRs, and who knows what the next excuse is.

That's pure speculation without any evidence to back it up. And even if there's some truth to it Rodgers was still capable of playing at an elite level, something the Packers should have been aware of.
I'm sure the Packers knew exactly what they had in Rodgers, physically, mentally, and emotionally. You, on the other hand, seem to be stuck in 2010 on the first one and completely unaware on the 3rd.

You just have to look at him historically to see what motivates him, watch him play subjectively, listen to what he says, and his behaviors to draw some conclusions. Just looking up stats will only get you so far in analyzing matters.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To say zero of us knew Rodgers wasnt a declining player after the 2019 season is ludicrous...Im quite sure there was plenty of us who still thought he had a lot left in the tank. We were right...

But that doesn't mean gutey was wrong for drafting Love. If Love does indeed turn into 3 in a row, he too was right...

Zero of us did know with certainty. Many of us, myself included were highly doubtful or at least had observational or statistical reasons for believing he was/might be declining.

Others also may have had similar reasons to believe he was going to return to MVP level play.

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And that's how he earned his moniker down here as Buckhead Brett.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Bwahaha...... yeah, there isn't a drop of booze anywhere to be found in Green Bay. Omg, the stories of Packers players drinking escapades are endless.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I was pretty confident entering the 2020 offseason that Rodgers would be able to return to being an elite quarterback, posted that many times at that point. While I didn't know it Gutekunst should have been able to get that impression by being around him before drafting Love.

Rodgers had played 87 snaps in the regular season before being named the starter in 2008. Love has been on the field for 157 so far.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to take the only one out of 21 playoff games in which the Packers didn't score at least 20 points with Rodgers starting as the best example to sum up their performances with him.

There's no doubt that it's possible to find a franchise quarterback outside the top 10 in the first round of the draft but the odds aren't in favor of doing so. Just take a look at the list I posted of the ones drafted at those spots since 2010.

In addition you can't be serious considering Chris Miller, Mac Jones, Randy Johnson, Tony Eason, Doug Williams, Jason Campbell and Jimmy Garropolo and to a lesser degree Joe Flacco and Jim Harbaugh as franchise quarterbacks.
I'd say Tony Eason was definitely in that category. He took the Patriots to the 85 Super Bowl.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bwahaha...... yeah, there isn't a drop of booze anywhere to be found in Green Bay. Omg, the stories of Packers players drinking escapades are endless.
Heck, Fuzzy owned a bar. Favre had his steakhouse. And I know Anduzzi as well still has a spot.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm sure the Packers knew exactly what they had in Rodgers, physically, mentally, and emotionally. You, on the other hand, seem to be stuck in 2010 on the first one and completely unaware on the 3rd.

Wait a moment? You're telling me the Packers were well aware that Rodgers was still capable of performing at an MVP level at the time of the 2020 draft? The only reason justifying the selection of Love that has been mentioned is that the team thought he was in decline.

If your take is true it was even more stupid to trade up for Love three years back.

I'd say Tony Eason was definitely in that category. He took the Patriots to the 85 Super Bowl.

I strongly disagree. First of all Eason won only a total of 28 games during his NFL career.

While he had two decent seasons in 1984 and '86 he was hardly the reason the Patriots made it to the Super Bowl in '85. During the regular season he ranked only 22nd out of 29 qualifying quarterbacks in passer rating. In the playoffs New England relied heavily on running the football (147 rushing attempts to only 43 throws - running the ball on a whopping 77.4% of their offensive plays) in the first three games to advance to the Super Bowl. Therefore the notion Eason took them to the big game isn't true either.

Overall, he definitely doesn't strike me as a franchise quarterback.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Wait a moment? You're telling me the Packers were well aware that Rodgers was still capable of performing at an MVP level at the time of the 2020 draft? The only reason justifying the selection of Love that has been mentioned is that the team thought he was in decline.

If your take is true it was even more stupid to trade up for Love three years back.

I strongly disagree. First of all Eason won only a total of 28 games during his NFL career.

While he had two decent seasons in 1984 and '86 he was hardly the reason the Patriots made it to the Super Bowl in '85. During the regular season he ranked only 22nd out of 29 qualifying quarterbacks in passer rating. In the playoffs New England relied heavily on running the football (147 rushing attempts to only 43 throws - running the ball on a whopping 77.4% of their offensive plays) in the first three games to advance to the Super Bowl. Therefore the notion Eason took them to the big game isn't true either.

Overall, he definitely doesn't strike me as a franchise quarterback.
Eason had some chutzpah in his game from my remembrance. I thought he was very good at clutch time. I remember thinking Eason could be my QB anyday.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Nope. Not what I said at all.

He was, of course, in decline for several years. Arm strength, accuracy, and pocket movement decline was obvious. It was his decline in attitude that mostly affected the success of the team. It was the drafting of Love that had the affected his attitude. Rodgers attitude went from spoiled petulant child to a spoiled petulant older child with something to prove. Not ideal, but at least it spurred him on. Although his success was chiefly attributable to having a stellar WR in Adams, once Adams left, Rodgers strugggled.

Members online

Latest posts