The hidden gem in yesterday's win..

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Not only did we prove we could run the ball, on a very stout defense BTW, there was another benefit to the entire game and the insync offense yesterday..

By opening it up and hitting on all cylinders, the Packer are going to give the Panthers, Lions and Cowboys DC fits trying to come up with a game plan for the next couple of weeks.. a balance evenly distributed offense with more weapons that you can shake a stick at is going to be hard to defend.

Up until the point of the last couple of weeks, the defense could drop into a coverage scheme and discount the run.. not with the last 3 weeks of decent run production. Now the LBers have to stay home and respect the run. Not only does that open up the underneath lanes but it stretches the secondary as well. The slants are open, the short outs become gold again.. but the playaction pass and the screens, yes the screens could become a staple play when needed again.

If the Offensive line can continue to play with the fire of yesterday, and we can continue to have even an average running game.. all the critics of this 8-1 team can kiss our hinies.. because we will be one tough team to lineup and stop on offense.

The best part about it.. the Defense can bring it on Sunday's as well...

Boys and Girls.. no matter how we got here, we are here.. this is a gritty team that has the character to compete with teams on Sunday's... bring on any team right now and I like our chances.. ANY TEAM.. yes Billy Boy I wish you were on the schedule right flippin now.

Reaction score
Great post.

If teams play their DBs back in an attempt to stop the long completion, we'll kill them with underneath stuff.

If teams play their LBs back in an effort to help out with pass coverage, we should be able to exploit the edges like we did yesterday.

If teams CBs play up, our WRs (surprisingly Jones and Martin included) have shown they can run past coverage and make catches for big gains.

I loved the 5 WR set introduced yesterday, I think that'll cause fits for opposing coverages. Our top 4 WRs have strength, good speed, quickness, and great awareness. I can't wait to see opposing teams struggling to find a way to counter our 5 WR sets. :D

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
The 5 wide set was cool, but I forgot that part in the first post, with the sheer number of formations that this offense has adapted has got to be a head-ache for any DC...

We go from the a wishbone look to a 5 wide set with multiple motions ... the experience of Brett and confidence in his offensive group overall seems to be allowing MM to open up his playbook like we haven't seen in Green Bay since the days of Holmgren and Mooch...

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i have thoroughly enjoyed the offensive looks this season. its been hilarious not knowing what formation they would come up with next. Its not just a 5 wide set or the wishbone either. its the little variations on those sets that cracks me up. we go 5 wide no back with brett in the shotgun... with 4 recievers on one end stacked and one guy on the other side in the slot. then next up its 5 wide again with Brett under center only with a TE. Its great.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i have thoroughly enjoyed the offensive looks this season. its been hilarious not knowing what formation they would come up with next. Its not just a 5 wide set or the wishbone either. its the little variations on those sets that cracks me up. we go 5 wide no back with brett in the shotgun... with 4 recievers on one end stacked and one guy on the other side in the slot. then next up its 5 wide again with Brett under center only with a TE. Its great.

I am most impressed with the maturation of the young wideouts. These guys can catch, run, and take hits. We are going to be a dangerous team come playoff time. If we can secure home field adavantage, there should be no stopping us.

I use to think of MM as a conservative playcaller, but I'm really changing my mind on that.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 5 wide set was cool, but I forgot that part in the first post, with the sheer number of formations that this offense has adapted has got to be a head-ache for any DC...

We go from the a wishbone look to a 5 wide set with multiple motions ... the experience of Brett and confidence in his offensive group overall seems to be allowing MM to open up his playbook like we haven't seen in Green Bay since the days of Holmgren and Mooch...

Hats off to MM. Great job.

Loved the 5 WR sets. Loved the 2 fullback sets.

It looked to me that we're abandoning the ZBS. Good riddance. After a year and a half, it hasn't worked for us.

Now, we're seeing more runs outside the hashmarks. Good. Whatever works. I just want to win.

Notice also we had the ball for over 40 minutes! That's crazy. Ball control.