The Heir, Apparently.

D

Deleted member 6794

That was exactly my thought after reading about Schneider having signed an extension with the Seahawks.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wolf gets a promotion every year, and they're running out of higher spots to move him. I wouldn't be surprised if TT steps down end of this season.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eliot seems like a great potential gm. But people keep forgetting that he has never been a GM and expectations are that he will just come in and make great moves all the time. He has to live up to his dad's expectations. I think people need to take a step back and recognize that this guy is not a sure great future GM.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
63 years old; 12 years in a high pressure situation; a job that requires frequent contacts with the media, which he clearly does not enjoy. Constant travel and staying in motels gets tiresome. Maybe some health issues. Maybe he feels Wolf is ready to take over, and he owes him the job. I imagine he has all the money he needs. He seems to be a very private person in a very public job. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if he steps down.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's 63, loves what he does, the team is his family, he loves the grind, and can't imagine doing anything else. He just loves football. I think he's enjoying his job more now, than he did a decade ago.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And 63 seems to be the new 55. Plus he sure seems to know how to handle the media and I think he loves to draft. The Packers winning the Super Bowl this year will be a lot of fun for him. Did anyone notice Rodgers sticking a big number one finger in the air at pregame on family night? May be the new double check.

D

Deleted member 6794

I've always had the feeling that Thompson truly enjoys scouting while not liking all the other responsibilities that come with being a general manager in the NFL. With him getting up there in age I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to retire from the Packers after next season and return to a scouting job.

H

HardRightEdge

With Thompson's contract expiring after 2018, and Murphy's succession plan being so definite, it's reasonable to assume 2018 will be Thompson's last season, if not 2017 as Demovsky suggests if Thompson has had a recent change in perspective. Maybe he sticks around as a consultant for the 2019 (or 2018) draft in the transition.

I would not rule out a player personnel power sharing arrangement between McCarthy and Wolf when the transition takes place.

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-p...for-post-ted-thompson-era-whenever-it-happens

"When asked if he has an idea how long Thompson will continue, Murphy said, 'Yeah, I do.' However, he wouldn’t say whether Thompson would fulfill his contract.

"His answers were the same when asked whether he has a plan in mind to replace Thompson -- 'I do,' he said -- and whether that means Packers director of player personnel Eliot Wolf will be Thompson’s successor -- 'I won’t get into that,' he said.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would not rule out a player personnel power sharing arrangement between McCarthy and Wolf when the transition takes place.

I would be absolutely opposed to having McCarthy and Wolf share the responsibilities of the team's general manager.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People say that TT clearly does not enjoy the media aspect of being the GM. I disagree in respect to the fact that none of us know. Absolutely he doesn't share much or say much, but that shouldn't be confused with not enjoying it. Heck, he might enjoy pissing off the media. I would. Fans that want more info....screw'em! Football is about beating your opponents, not how much info you can share with the media and the fan base. I am happy every time he says next to nothing. How refreshing. Sure I want to know, but I'd rather not have the Packers blueprint in the Journal/Sentinel each week.

TT seems to be doing fine. I surmise that at some point he will just signal that he's done and Elliot will be transitioned in, likely with TT staying on as an adviser for a year or as long as Elliot wants him around, which may not be long because he's got his dad in his corner as well.

I'm not sure that Elliot is a slam dunk, but he seems to have the pedigree and has spent most of his life in football. He may flop but I'm excited to give him a chance at some point. In some ways, his slow-grooming reminds me of how long Rodgers sat behind Favre. Hopefully Elliot is learning the good and the bad from Teddy T.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People say that TT clearly does not enjoy the media aspect of being the GM. I disagree in respect to the fact that none of us know. Absolutely he doesn't share much or say much, but that shouldn't be confused with not enjoying it. Heck, he might enjoy pissing off the media. I would. Fans that want more info....screw'em! Football is about beating your opponents, not how much info you can share with the media and the fan base. I am happy every time he says next to nothing. How refreshing. Sure I want to know, but I'd rather not have the Packers blueprint in the Journal/Sentinel each week.

I agree, he's always cracking his dry humor jokes in his pressers. I completely agree that he loves having all the media show up knowing he's going to give them nothing.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My neighbor up north just gruffed about how a friend of his brought up Hillary's speech at the convention. He said, "She shouldn't have brought that up to a guy like me." I laughed, knowing that "Sue" loves to get his goat. Some people just enjoy seeing people get all worked up for nothing. It's one of the fine arts of life.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, he's always cracking his dry humor jokes in his pressers. I completely agree that he loves having all the media show up knowing he's going to give them nothing.
I agree. Great entertainment for me too. I love seeing the reporters very carefully and reluctantly word their questions and then see Thompson tap dance all around the question using a smattering of his stock cliche answers with that grin of his and working that water bottle of his.
These things have a way of working themselves out. We aren't going to talk about our processes.
All of it is very entertaining to me, and informative. He'll give away a tidbit of new info in every presser.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eliot seems like a great potential gm. But people keep forgetting that he has never been a GM and expectations are that he will just come in and make great moves all the time. He has to live up to his dad's expectations. I think people need to take a step back and recognize that this guy is not a sure great future GM.
Yes he will be. Because his dad is his council, and ted will surely be involved still. Along with the rest of the gb brain trust

Members online

Latest posts