The Good News: Pats game isn't critical

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
according to the ESPN playoff generator

this week...Tampa , Baltimore, Atlanta, Philly, Chicago wins ( packers lose)

nest week...Chicago wins or losses vs JETS, GB wins, Tampa wins vs Seattle, Philly wins or losses vs Vikings, Atlanta wins or losses vs NO....Packers beat NYG

last week...Pack win vs Bears, Atlanta, wins vs Carolina, Philly wins vs Dallas, NYG wins vs Washington,, NO wins vs Tampa

Pack is 6th seed
You did JUST those games and it panned like this?

Because last time I tried to do it, a lot of other games, like the Dolphins game, the Steelers game, they influenced Strenght of Schedule, which was the determinant factor in us winning the tiebreakers...

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think every move we make from here on out can be viewed as critical. Granted, the Giants and Bears games or of a higher critical level but the Pats game is also critical for team morale. Beating the Pats would give the team enormous momentum going towards the playoffs. Losing to them wouldn't tank our chances utterly but it would make things a bit harder.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Because last time I tried to do it, a lot of other games, like the Dolphins game, the Steelers game, they influenced Strenght of Schedule, which was the determinant factor in us winning the tiebreakers...

Why go that far when all you need is conference record

htoh
division
common
conference

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I tested it and got "strength of victory" as to why GB gets in over NYG & TB at 10-6.

GB does have the second best SOV if I'm not mistaken behind NE. Giants could run it up against WAS but I'm not sure how much they'd need.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why go that far when all you need is conference record

htoh
division
common
conference
Because of this:
I tested it and got "strength of victory" as to why GB gets in over NYG & TB at 10-6.

GB does have the second best SOV if I'm not mistaken behind NE. Giants could run it up against WAS but I'm not sure how much they'd need.
GB wins based on strenght of victory, not on division, common games or conference.

If some parallel games go the wrong way, it's TB that gets the wildcard at 10-6.

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's be honest, this team isn't going anywhere in the playoffs without winning the division. This year they're looking a little bit like the 90's Packers with the awesome home-field advantage, with only the loss to the Dolphins (5-1 at home). Home games are such a huge advantage in the playoffs, see Arizona and all their home playoff wins over teams with better records the last two years.

I think at the end of the year, we'll look back at the Detroit game as where everything fell apart.

erik_m_vos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think more than anything we need to worry more about getting a wild card spot than winning the division. We need to beat the Giants and Chicago. If we beat the Giants, we have beaten them and Philly and should edge the wildcard spot. I'm not worried about WHERE we get in the playoffs, I'm worried about IF we make the playoffs. This game vs. New England means nothing........... (unless the Bears lose cause i'd still like to win the division for bragging rights lol)

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think more than anything we need to worry more about getting a wild card spot than winning the division. We need to beat the Giants and Chicago. If we beat the Giants, we have beaten them and Philly and should edge the wildcard spot. I'm not worried about WHERE we get in the playoffs, I'm worried about IF we make the playoffs. This game vs. New England means nothing........... (unless the Bears lose cause i'd still like to win the division for bragging rights lol)

That's assuming the Eagles beat the Giants.

In head to head tiebreaker with TB at 10-6, we lose. PHI prob could go 11-5 easily if they lose to NYG...and NO should get one more win, at least.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Greenbaypressgazette.com | Green Bay Packers | Insiders Blog » Even with loss to Pats, Packers can make the playoffs

The Packers would have to win their final two games at home against the Giants and Bears, which would give them a 10-6 record.

*Either the Giants or Eagles would have to lose two of their final three games. The Giants’ schedule: Philadelphia, at Green Bay, at Washington.

The Eagles’ schedule: at New York Giants, Minnesota, Dallas.

The Packers’ best chance would be for the Giants to lose to the Eagles this week, then lose to the Packers next week at Lambeau Field. Assuming the Giants win their season finale against the Redskins, they would finish 10-6.

*Tampa Bay would have to lose one of its final three games. The Bucs’ schedule: Detroit, Seattle, at New Orleans. If that happens the Buccaneers would finish 10-6.

If all of the above occurs, the Packers, Giants and Bucs would be locked in a three-way tie at 10-6 and be fighting for the final NFC wild-card berth.

This assumes New Orleans (10-3) would claim the other wild-card berth as the No. 5 seed.

Here would be the criteria to break the three-way tie for the final wild-card spot:

1. Head-to-head. This is not applicable since none of the three teams has beaten the other two, and none of the three teams has lost to the other two. The Bucs have played neither the Giants nor the Packers this season. The Packers’ projected head-to-head victory over the Giants would only apply in a two-way tiebreaker.

2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference. The Packers, Giants and Bucs would all finish with 8-4 records against NFC opponents.

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four. This is not applicable because the minimum of four common games is not met. The only common opponents that the Packers, Giants and Bucs share: Washington and Detroit.

4. Strength of victory. This measures the combined records of vanquished opponents, and the Packers currently hold a significant advantage in this category. The combined record of the teams the Packers have beaten, including projected wins over the Giants and Bears, currently stands at 61-70. The Giants are next with a 51-79 record, followed by the Bucs at 45-86 (assuming a best-case scenario for Tampa Bay). Results over the final three weeks of the season will affect the final strength of victory records, but it would be difficult for the Giants or Bucs to make up that much ground on the Packers.

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His point was that even if the Packers lose this weekend, as long as the Bears lose too, the Packers will control their own destiny for the division title, which is true.
why have to wish for the bears to lose? i dont think his points very well thought out

Huh?

If the Bears win and we win it's still a 1 game lead. They lose to the Jets, we beat the Giants, winner in week 17 takes the division.

If the Bears win and we lose they clinch.

How is it this game doesn't matter?
this....

Latest posts