The Desire To Play & Get Paid vs the NFL's Liability For Long Term Injuries

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No time to lose: Neal had a pair of crutches at his locker.

That's where they've stayed. Walking from the cafeteria to the locker room and over to his locker with the other undrafted free agents, Neal had no interest in using them.

After rushing for 39 yards on five carries, including a 12-yard touchdown run, during a rain-soaked game Saturday night, Neal took a nasty shot to his left knee on a 22-yard kickoff return with just over 5 minutes left in the game.

Walking around the locker room, Neal didn't look any worse for wear, but he didn't practice Monday.

"It was just a good hit," Neal said. "Just a little sore. Other than that, everything's pretty good."

Neal made it clear that no matter what, he is not missing the Rams game Saturday in St. Louis.

"I gotta play," Neal said. "There ain't no way around it. Being in the position I'm in, I can't afford it."

Neal is fighting with veteran DuJuan Harris and fellow undrafted rookie LaDarius Perkins for a roster spot behind starter Eddie Lacy and backup James Starks. It's possible the Packers will keep two of those three, but probably only if one of the rookies proves to be too good to let go.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...little-game-action-b99328166z1-270847151.html

Seeing the statement is not the unusual. However, after Rajion Neal said that it made me think about the fight the NFL is in with former players over medical disabilities. This is just an example, but are we going to see Neal petitioning the NFL in 20 or 30 years for medical treatment because he needs a knee replacement? These guys are willing to take on additional or permanent injury in order to get a paycheck. Personally I think that the NFLPA & NFL should siphon xx% off of every players salary and owner's profit, to fund a lifetime medical assistance fund for any injuries associated with trying out for or playing for an NFL team. The NFL incentivizes players to look past injuries with the possibility of massive wealth, as demonstrated above. This will not end unless something changes.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
It would be a great idea for them to pay into a fund for after retirement medical issues, but that too is a double headed monster. You would get guys like RB's who take a beating using a high amount from that fund, then you would have guys like a kicker who played for 15+ years and not have any issues after retirment. Having had a % deducted from your pay and then not using it, that would cause some b!tching and complaining and some legal issues.

I think that there should be an "after sports health insurance". You can choose to buy into it as an active player, accumulating an insurance nest egg so to speak. Then if you need further medical down the road, that saved money combined with coverage from an insurance company can be combined to take care of your needs. If you choose not to buy into it, then you take the medical responsibility upon yourself. I know first hand how expensive medical proceedures can be, but I don't have a job that makes millions. Even if you were an average NFL player that played for 6-7 years, you should have, in that amount of time, built up a fortune...... and be able to pay for any medical issues. These guys have their cake with these paychecks, and eat all of said cake. Amazing how many somewhat currently retired nfl players are broke now because of their own stupid money habits...... terrel owners and chad johnson happen to come to mind.....both a couple of knucklehead losers.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be a great idea for them to pay into a fund for after retirement medical issues, but that too is a double headed monster. You would get guys like RB's who take a beating using a high amount from that fund, then you would have guys like a kicker who played for 15+ years and not have any issues after retirment. Having had a % deducted from your pay and then not using it, that would cause some b!tching and complaining and some legal issues.

Most every responsible human being on the planet does this already, it is called insurance. I have paid tens of thousands of insurance premiums over the course of my life and other than a few doctor check ups and a few prescriptions. I have never used my insurance. We are constantly paying into something we may not have to use, i don't seem the big deal at all regards of how took harder hits.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Most every responsible human being on the planet does this already, it is called insurance. I have paid tens of thousands of insurance premiums over the course of my life and other than a few doctor check ups and a few prescriptions. I have never used my insurance. We are constantly paying into something we may not have to use, i don't seem the big deal at all regards of how took harder hits.

Right, we all as adults know this, not a big secret..... since my mother has owned and operated an insurance company for the last 34 years..... but.....you are not using yours because you are either not getting hurt or sick...... most NFL guys will use theirs at some point after retirement. Personally I could care less about them, they are rich beyond beleif and should be able to afford off market medical care.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-rookie-carl-bradford-gets-little-game-action-b99328166z1-270847151.ht
.... Personally I think that the NFLPA & NFL should siphon xx% off of every players salary and owner's profit, to fund a lifetime medical assistance fund for any injuries associated with trying out for or playing for an NFL team.

Agreed completely, although I might not cover try-outs who never make a roster. But why would a monopoly spend money where they don't have to?

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not as worried about how Patrick Peterson is going to fare, but there are many more Terrance Murphys that got a raw deal early on before they cashed in. That said, there are many stories of ex-players that blew it all and then can't afford to take care of themselves afterward. I'm not looking at this from a how-does-the-USA-deal-with-this perspective (Obamacare), but more how should the NFL and NFLPA deal with it. So far it's by ignoring the issue, which I don't think is sustainable. The NFL will continue to attract players seeking fame and fortune. They will continue to get hurt either directly in a practice/game or indirectly from the wear and tear over the years. They will continue to sue. The NFL and NFLPA would be wise to come to agreement on a plan to cover players that are hurt by the game, to help insulate themselves from future litigation and claims.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts