The Case for Paying Aaron Jones

Should the Packers Extend Jones (assumes he would accept contract comparable to the one mentioned)

• Total voters

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It's definitely correct that some players the Packers have drafted over the past few years aren't good enough to play in the NFL. That happens to every team.

That doesn't mean that I believe the team doesn't have any talent on the roster by any means though.
True enough. Drafting is an art and a science. Looking back at our 1st round picks over the last 30 years finds both some outstanding players and outstanding busts and everything in between. The research provided by someone here recently (you?) on round 4-7 picks I believe showed how well we’ve done drafting in that portion of the draft which leads me to believe that the talent level on the Packers is in the top 3rd of the league. I’m still not sure how good this coaching staff is at developing the talent. Jury is still out imo. I don’t think these type of conversations even take place if Don Capers hadn’t misused his players, because I believe our level of success over the past 10 years had been significantly greater but that is pure conjecture on my part.

D

Deleted member 6794

The research provided by someone here recently (you?) on round 4-7 picks I believe showed how well we’ve done drafting in that portion of the draft which leads me to believe that the talent level on the Packers is in the top 3rd of the league.

The Packers made it to the NFCCG last season, so I consider their roster to be even better than just within the top third in the league.

They haven't won another Super Bowl because of a lack of success on the first two days of the draft (that's just a feeling, I haven't checked those numbers) and Thompson's reluctance to address positions of need in free agency.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's is getting to be that every week I wish we had signed him the previous week.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Packers made it to the NFCCG last season, so I consider their roster to be even better than just within the top third in the league.

They haven't won another Super Bowl because of a lack of success on the first two days of the draft (that's just a feeling, I haven't checked those numbers) and Thompson's reluctance to address positions of need in free agency.

And the fact that they had a coach forever who doesn't really know how to create success without an ideal offensive roster.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I love how Aaron Jones just keeps proving me right about him being better than Dalvin Cook.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My stance is simple..... I love Jones and hope he has an MVP year..... Still want no part of paying him big money even if he does

D

Deleted member 6794

And the fact that they had a coach forever who doesn't really know how to create success without an ideal offensive roster.

The Packers scored the third most points in the league during McCarthy's tenure as head coach. He was pretty good at creating success on that side of the ball.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers scored the third most points in the league during McCarthy's tenure as head coach. He was pretty good at creating success on that side of the ball.

He also had a pretty nice offensive roster during the vast majority of said tenure. Driver, nelson, jennings, jones, cobb, finely as your pass catchers and Rodgers as your qb. You better score a lot of points...

The only guys who could join that list on the current team are Adams and jones

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone that is yelling pay him, does realize the argument for not paying him is not even minutely related to the aspect of whether he is of value or not. The dude is oober talented, I have yet to meet anyone that says otherwise.

For me personally, it is the trickle down affect his signing has on the roster as a whole if we hand him a massive contract (which arguably he has played himself into).

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone that is yelling pay him, does realize the argument for not paying him is not even minutely related to the aspect of whether he is of value or not. The dude is oober talented, I have yet to meet anyone that says otherwise.

For me personally, it is the trickle down affect his signing has on the roster as a whole if we hand him a massive contract (which arguably he has played himself into).

They can sign bakh and jones. All the rest of the ufa list is much more easily replaceable. Yeah they'll lose wells and king as well as the ability to sign anyone of note in free agency...

But that to me seems a very acceptable price to pay to retain 2 of the unquestioned top 5 at their positions in the nfl.

LT
1. Bakh
4 other guys

Rb
1. Mccaffery
2. Kamara
3. Jones
4. Elliott
5. Chubb

Next they gotta resign davante to what's likely going to be a 20 m per contract as he runs out after next season. Good thing is even if cap goes down significantly for next season. It's likely to go up even more significantly the following year when fans are back in stands and far more importantly to the bottom line the nfl signs a new tv deal and possibly even some sort of gambling deal...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Like I said, McCarthy can create success when he has an ideal offensive roster-- a great QB, great options at WR who can consistently win in isolation against man coverage, and a great OL that can protect without help. Given those things, his offense scores points. He had that here when GB was successful. When he lost it, they were no longer successful. He has it again in Dallas.

Give McCarthy what LaFleur is currently cooking with and he would be lost.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Like I said, McCarthy can create success when he has an ideal offensive roster-- a great QB, great options at WR who can consistently win in isolation against man coverage, and a great OL that can protect without help. Given those things, his offense scores points. He had that here when GB was successful. When he lost it, they were no longer successful. He has it again in Dallas.

Like mm last 2 years here?

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Like mm last 2 years here?

Precisely. Once he didn't have the combination of an elite QB, a great OL, and three really good players at WR, his offense wasn't effective anymore. If you need ideal tools to make things work as a coach, you're not that good of a coach.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think MM would have been better, just like MLF is better in year 2. MLF has never had to operate without Rodgers as his QB which is an insanely big leap up from Brett Hundley. and our offense with a bunch of 2nd year playmakers with MLF in his first wasn't really much better than the last year of MM's offense with a bunch of 1st year players at playmaking positions with Rodgers back and a season long knee injury.

another thing I'd caution, when teams figure out the scheme the coach has to adjust. That was a pro and con to MM's offense. when they had the horses to run it, it ran for a long time. Take Gurly out of the Rams and they did squat. Now they seem to have adjusted, but it's only week 2. lots of punches and counter punches to be thrown.

I think we'll be better in that regard, because Rodgers can do a lot and has seen it all.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Jones gets more expensive every game he plays. lol dammit!

I think that he was already in for a big contract, but yesterday may have cemented it. Especially the catch. The 75 yd TD run to open the 2nd half was awesome, but THAT catch on the next series was fantastic, not a lot of RB's can do that.

I was thinking that we might want to see how Dillon looks, but now I can see why paying Jones might not be the smart thing to do.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
on replay i'm not sure he caught it though. But just to get up position himself like that is crazy though.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guarantee there's at least one team out there willing to overpay for Jones if he hits free agency next year.

Of course.

Then he'll get his money and find himself on a worse team and with more stressful expectations.

It would be great for him to stay in Green Bay, take an offer for say....27M/3yr (3rd year option) with 18M guaranteed.

Test the waters in 2022 at age 27 and go from there.

I think he is an offensive cornerstone.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Would love to see us keep him. He is super talented. But if he prices himself out of town and doesn't want to work it out, then I say we have to let him go. Hopefully Dillion turns out to be a talented RB. We need to keep Baktiari.

D

Deleted member 6794

He also had a pretty nice offensive roster during the vast majority of said tenure. Driver, nelson, jennings, jones, cobb, finely as your pass catchers and Rodgers as your qb. You better score a lot of points...

That's true but in my opinion fans don't give McCarthy enough credit for developing Rodgers into an elite quarterback.

They can sign bakh and jones. Yeah they'll lose wells and king as well as the ability to sign anyone of note in free agency...

Next they gotta resign davante to what's likely going to be a 20 m per contract as he runs out after next season. Good thing is even if cap goes down significantly for next season. It's likely to go up even more significantly the following year when fans are back in stands and far more importantly to the bottom line the nfl signs a new tv deal and possibly even some sort of gambling deal...

If the cap drops to $175 million for the 2021 season the Packers will have a hard time re-signing both Bakhtiari and Jones as they would already be over it at this point.

With the revenue losses because of COVID-19 spread out over four years there's no reason to believe the cap will increase above the current level in 2022.

As a side note, most TV deals run through the 2022 season with Monday Night Football being the only one up after the '21 campaign.

There's no way any coach in the league can have success without a talented roster. McCarthy deserves credit for runnibgva very successful offense for most of his tenure in Green Bay. For some reason too many fans don't agree with that.

The Packers didn't improve on offense last season, scoring the exact same amount of points as during the last season with MM as head coach.

While they look significantly improved this season they have yet to face a decent opponent.