The Case for Paying Aaron Jones

Should the Packers Extend Jones (assumes he would accept contract comparable to the one mentioned)

• Total voters

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wouldn't be a bit surprised about the one-year deals, even though it's a pretty big risk for a top player to take. There was a lot of talk this off season about players taking three year deals. Why three years? Because that's when the new TV deal will come up and there's expected to be a huge jump in the cap.

Top players won’t, but the middle and low tier players will take the one year deals.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Wouldn't be a bit surprised about the one-year deals, even though it's a pretty big risk for a top player to take.

I think with the reduced cap, that might be some veterans only option. A year or more ago most teams were assuming and planning for an increase in the 2021 cap, not a decrease, so when contracts were being drawn up, they had a much higher 2021 cap in mind. That will leave some teams scrambling to even meet the cap, some teams will be on a tight budget and a lucky few will still have cap space to snag some of the free agents that hit the market. I also don't think the Free agent market is going to be just those players with expiring contracts, we are going to see players that teams just can't afford due to the lower cap, so they cut them.

All that said, its basic supply and demand economics. The supply of players will be up and the demand or at least the ability to spend will be down. Packers Russ Ball is going to have to be very creative with contracts and try to push the cap hits of current and new players out beyond 2021, but you can only do so much of that, before you have over leveraged your future. Needless to say, this is going to be one interesting offseason, after the Packers win the Super Bowl.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This would mean your middle class players, i.e. Billy Turner, Lane Taylor, Jamaal Williams, will be taking drastic cuts
Have you noticed that Turner is our R tackle and playing well:tup:. Makes me wonder if Linsley works well with his R guard.

D

Deleted member 6794

It’s going to be a very interesting off-season. I imagine quite a few teams will be in the same situation, and I don’t think the top tier players like Bakh are going to take a discount bc if it.

I'm convinced a lot of top tier free agents don't plan on signing for a discount next offseason but might have to because of a lack of cap space available around the league.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that is an opinion...but I'm not so sure what you think.

Linsley is a very good C that has played well with plenty of players. Not sure why you would insinuate Turner’s issues at RG were in part bc of Linsley.

My opinion is that at least in this offense, Turner is better suited for RT than OG. He uses his athleticism a little better there, and his strength isn’t as much of a problem on the outside as it is on the inside. Just my opinion.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Linsley is a very good C that has played well with plenty of players. Not sure why you would insinuate Turner’s issues at RG were in part bc of Linsley.

My opinion is that at least in this offense, Turner is better suited for RT than OG. He uses his athleticism a little better there, and his strength isn’t as much of a problem on the outside as it is on the inside. Just my opinion.
Only brought up the possibility because now another R guard is having problems...so they say. But Turner is a real success story...so far. And it looks like he will stick. That is huge.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
To my untrained eye, Turner seemed to play too high at guard. Pad level isn't quite as critical at tackle.

Members online