The case against the shields deal

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
How can you say their schedule was cake last year in light of the teams I just mentioned? Facing the 49ers twice, New Orleans twice and the Bronocos once isn't an easy passing schedule....they faced more Pro Bowl quarterbacks than we did.

They had a great defense. No doubt, but look at the QB's they played during the regular season. Overall it was mid to bottom tier throwing QB's. They got a couple of home playoff games. I am not trying to take anything away from there super bowl season and maybe it sounds like I am a little. I look at there schedule this year and I want to see what happens with there D-line already taking a couple steps backward.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They had a great defense. No doubt, but look at the QB's they played during the regular season. Overall it was mid to bottom tier throwing QB's. They got a couple of home playoff games. I am not trying to take anything away from there super bowl season and maybe it sounds like I am a little. I look at there schedule this year and I want to see what happens with there D-line already taking a couple steps backward.

I agree that their defense will be a little different but I don't think Sherman's skill can be debated. However, I will say that I think Earl Thomas is more important to the Seattle defense than Sherman. If only because Pete Carroll seems to be able to continually churn out good corners.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score

He faced Cam newton (duel threat), collin kraper**** 3 times, Andew luck, carson palmer 2 times (AZ won once), Mat ryan, Drew brees twice, and peyton manning. Those are some good to better than good QB's.

Our defense faced ( good or better than good) : colin kraper****, Eli manning, matt ryan, ben rapistberger, tony blowmo......other than that we faced a TON of bum QB's like RGIII, Weeden, Ponder etc....

Last edited:

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree a 1000 percent. Sherman had the best D-line in the league helping him and one of the best free safeties in Earl Thomas. Plus, the quarterbacks and receivers in that division are not all that great from top to bottom. I like Patterson better then Sherman too.

That entire D was bonkers... every single player has incredible closing speed and hits hard! Really jealous over here...

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I live in Seattle area. Sherman is talking 5 year 70 mill. Somebody will pay it if the Seahawks cant re-sign him to an extension this year

Source? I live in Seattle as well but haven't heard anything about that. Some folks I know are saying Russell Wilson will come in cheap for them. I don't buy it even if he didn't carry the team.

Pack....man!!!

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Their whole defense was good, a complete defense they rush the passer, tackled and created turn overs what defenses suppose to do. Sherman is big time player in a big time defense. Sherman might not chase the big Money because he would want to remain with a winner as long as possible and sometimes that means taking less money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Marshall was targeted 22 times vs. the Packers, Shields covered him on three of those. Gordon had six balls thrown his way, only once was he covered by Shields.

This quote sure is misleading then: "....when targeted against those receivers last season".

Well then....maybe our secondary really isn't all that bad then if others covered all these studs and shut them down. (I've actually said all along that if our pass rush improves our secondary would not have nearly the issues they did at times this year)

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Source? I live in Seattle as well but haven't heard anything about that. Some folks I know are saying Russell Wilson will come in cheap for them. I don't buy it even if he didn't carry the team.

I have heard 5 year around 70 mill. Look at what Talib just got paid,

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Marshall was targeted 22 times vs. the Packers, Shields covered him on three of those. Gordon had six balls thrown his way, only once was he covered by Shields.

Quarterbacks throw to the guys who they think is open. If Shields is on a guy and the ball isn't thrown at his guy, that means he was doing a good job of covering that receiver. Now I don't have the exact coverage numbers but I can infer from your Marshall numbers for example, that Shields was covering Marshall VERY well if quarterbacks threw the ball to Marshall six times more often when Shields wasn't on him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Quarterbacks throw to the guys who they think is open. If Shields is on a guy and the ball isn't thrown at his guy, that means he was doing a good job of covering that receiver. Now I don't have the exact coverage numbers but I can infer from your Marshall numbers for example, that Shields was covering Marshall VERY well if quarterbacks threw the ball to Marshall six times more often when Shields wasn't on him.

Or maybe other guys were just covering Marshall six times more often than Shields. I don´t know the answer to that, but maybe I´ll take a look at the film at some point.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or maybe other guys were just covering Marshall six times more often than Shields. I don´t know the answer to that, but maybe I´ll take a look at the film at some point.

That's fair, as I said I don't have the numbers around how often Shields was the primary coverage on those particular receivers so you could very well be right.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's fair, as I said I don't have the numbers around how often Shields was the primary coverage on those particular receivers so you could very well be right.

Watched the film of the Week 17 game vs. the Bears. Shields was lined up on the right side all the time, mainly covering either Jeffery or Marquess Wilson. The Bears lined up Marshall all over the place and he had a 37-yard reception when he was covered one-on-one by Shields. Shields played great coverage most of the time, allowed a 67-yard completion to Jeffery when he got burned by him (PFF has this reception on a target to Burnett, IMO that one was clearly on Shields though). Shields had a great pass breakup on a 3rd down play by the Bears with six minutes left that could have sealed the win for the Bears. In addition he was slow to react on Forte´s TD reception in the first quarter.

What´s interesting though is that the Packers lined him up on the left side in the prevent defense, where he mostly lined up vs. Marshall (three out of four plays) and had the game clinching INT.

Members online

Latest posts