The Big Choice

Which option do you want the Packers to pursue?

• Kick the cap can down the road and try to run it back.

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • Gut the roster, take your cap medicine, and usher in the new era.

Votes: 24 64.9%

• Total voters

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For a guy who doesn't know where to throw the ball, Rodgers has a tremendous record on INTs, QBR, and TDs. I just don't see how people can look at a play, and diagnosis, without actually knowing the routes that each player was supposed to make, and the timing of it.

I'd still rather have Rodgers under center that almost every QB in the league, when the chips are down.

Please! Name all the QBs you'd rather have in the lineup with the Packers starting a 2 minute drive, 80 yards of field, and no time outs, and being behind by 6.

For fits and wiggles...

1) Mahomes
2) Allen
3) Herbert*
4) Burrow*

*recency bias included

However, none of these QBs are currently on our roster.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some of you guys are basically wishing that BOTH the defense AND special teams had played a perfect game, then Rodgers would have won. Well, you got half of that - the defense was almost perfect. But you are asking WAY too much for a perfect game from special teams, especially with a year's worth of game film showing all the weaknesses that the 49ers could exploit. We knew Rodgers would need to play well enough to compensate for that, and he didn't.
yeah, asking special teams to NOT give up a blocked FG and a blocked punt for a TD is asking for perfect play. Because only perfect ST's play prevents that stuff. Or maybe just average. Even with our inability to ever flip a field thru ST's and put all the pressure on the offense from the start of the season until the end was OK, if they could just perform average in that game, we win.

How many special teams units give that up in a season? we did it in a single game.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For fits and wiggles...

1) Mahomes
2) Allen
3) Herbert*
4) Burrow*

*recency bias included

However, none of these QBs are currently on our roster.
Now, give all those guys the Packers offensive Unit. Still think Mahomes brings them back? How about Allen? The other 2? not a chance. Then make it about 5 degrees out.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now, give all those guys the Packers offensive Unit. Still think Mahomes brings them back? How about Allen? The other 2? not a chance. Then make it about 5 degrees out.

Dude, I did say for "fits and wiggles". C'mon.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, asking special teams to NOT give up a blocked FG and a blocked punt for a TD is asking for perfect play. Because only perfect ST's play prevents that stuff. Or maybe just average. Even with our inability to ever flip a field thru ST's and put all the pressure on the offense from the start of the season until the end was OK, if they could just perform average in that game, we win.

How many special teams units give that up in a season? we did it in a single game.

Even below average ST don’t give up BOTH those plays in a single game…

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
again, WHERE was he supposed to go with it? WHere, down distance player time on clock SHOW ME all these plays he missed. So far we have lazard in the middle of the field near the end, and a couple plays that went for 1st downs. You gotta do better.

and yes, I will rip Lewis because he carries the ball out flailing around everytime he catches one. Everyone cheers whenever the Big Dawg gets a few yards and i'm yelling at the TV to put away and it cost us. But Rodgers forced some INT's and that's why we lost?

Rodgers placement of his passes was quite bad compared to his normal placements. I don't even care about the Lazard play, even Rodgers fully admitted that was a bad on his part in post-game interview. Rodgers simply underthrew or threw behind his targets a lot. Now that isn't all on him, as watching film of course some of these were due to pressure coming - I get it. However, when grading Rodgers on his performance I'm not saying here's what an average QB does - I'm comparing Aaron flipping Rodgers to what one of the best ever has shown he does more than doesn't. He did not play well, its that simple. Very very very few players on offense and special teams did, some others had good moments but overall bad games....the defense is the only part of our entire team that someone can say played solid overall.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I chose to reply to this first part, because the rest was irrelevant, not even close to what I was talking about.

All LaFleur had to do was change "I" to "we" and that's that.

GB presents a united front to the media.

Continually putting his "neck" out for the media vultures is gonna lead to his downfall despite the crazy good regular season record and resurgence of Aaron Rodgers.

Playing the martyr is gonna leave LaFluer on the chopping block. How did honor work out for Ned Stark?

That is how a leader leads. Sorry you don't understand that.

He needs to fire Drayton, but a leader always takes the blame first - always.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
False dichotomy. Those aren't the only options. I'd prefer to tag/trade Adams and trade Rodgers. The roster doesn't have to be gutted.
Agree that it doesn't have to be a total gut job this year. Enough room for Campbell to re-sign is what we need most. He is way more valuable to the defense than Z. Smith or P. Smith. If we have a defense as good as we fielded this year, we'll have a chance to squeeze into the playoff picture in 22.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree that it doesn't have to be a total gut job this year. Enough room for Campbell to re-sign is what we need most. He is way more valuable to the defense than Z. Smith or P. Smith. If we have a defense as good as we fielded this year, we'll have a chance to squeeze into the playoff picture in 22.

Okay trying to follow so you're saying create just enough room to sign Campbell, but also keep Adams and Rodgers? Cut both Smiths. Am I following?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
read my reply above … then come back with something addressing that other 80%…. because i’m dine focusing on your 20
I feel offense (that means every aspect) should have played better. 10 points is not acceptable for me..You are okay with it. and that's fine.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This offseason presents the Packers front office with a pretty huge decision.

They need to decide what they're going to do with Aaron Rodgers.

Option #1 would be to use cap trickery (voidable years, bad extensions, restructures, etc.) to push their bad cap situation further out one more season so you can keep Rodgers and try again. It wouldn't make sense to do that if you had to gut the roster. The pro is obvious-- you keep an MVP quarterback and take another shot at the super bowl. The con is also clear-- you pile up more cap pain for yourself down the road and you have the opportunity cost of not trading Rodgers for a bunch of assets. The other consideration is that, even with a lot of creativity around the cap, it may be impossible to keep everyone you really do want to keep.

Option #2 would be to accept this as the end of the Rodgers era and start trading/cutting players, accruing capital, and ushering in the next phase of Packers football. The pro here is that you get your cap pain out of the way and you gain a lot of resources towards the rebuild. The con is simply that you no longer have an MVP caliber QB and a whole host of other great players.

I'm an "Option #1" fan myself.

I think you keep the best quarterback in the game in your stable as long as you can.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ST made mistakes, but they were kind of expected. Did anyone here actually think that ST would play a flawless game based on what we saw all year long?

To say that Rodgers made enough plays when they only scored 10 points - those are really low standards for an MVP-calibre QB.
lmao do you take yourself seriously? We should expect the punt team to give up a freaking touchdown… But that ok… let’s pin the loss on Rodgers because He’s supposed to be perfect.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel offense (that means every aspect) should have played better. 10 points is not acceptable for me..You are okay with it. and that's fine.
you need to read with more depth if you think im ok with it. But i’m just using your numbers 80-20…. yet you want to focus on the 20

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
you need to read with more depth if you think im ok with it. But i’m just using your numbers 80-20…. yet you want to focus on the 20
Focus on the 20 because we know what ST did..

However, if offense scored 14 its win. Why cant that be up for debate?

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lmao do you take yourself seriously? We should expect the punt team to give up a freaking touchdown… But that ok… let’s pin the loss on Rodgers because He’s supposed to be perfect.
We knew ST was bad all year long. Many of us actually predicted there would be a big ST blunder in the playoffs that we'd have to overcome. Even with the ST blunders, we only gave up 13 points. The best defense in the league this year gave up 17 pts/game. I do expect an all-time great like Rodgers to put up more than 13 points in a game.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On a very tough night they did enough to score 13. The defense gave up 6. You can belabor the other points, but I think it's obvious why we didn't win. Brady won a super bowl 13-3. Sometimes you have to play those games.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We knew ST was bad all year long. Many of us actually predicted there would be a big ST blunder in the playoffs that we'd have to overcome. Even with the ST blunders, we only gave up 13 points. The best defense in the league this year gave up 17 pts/game. I do expect an all-time great like Rodgers to put up more than 13 points in a game.
you can expect it all you want, and it fails to consider the conditions and that defense he was facing and the actual game. To me, it shows a complete lack of understanding or appreciation for the game you just watched. Sure I expect more, and can plainly see why it didn't happen and it wasn't because my QB played poorly.

again, show me where the big plays were supposed to happen. You can't, even with hindsight. That should tell you something.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even below average ST don’t give up BOTH those plays in a single game…
Why isn't it possible for ST to commit more than 1 blunder in a game? We've seen defenses that give up a touchdown on almost every single possession (2009 Arizona playoff game).

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
again, show me where the big plays were supposed to happen. You can't, even with hindsight. That should tell you something.
On Rodgers final pass, ESB had 1-2 steps on his defender. Rodgers should have launched the deep ball to him instead of Adams.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
again, WHERE was he supposed to go with it? WHere, down distance player time on clock SHOW ME all these plays he missed. So far we have lazard in the middle of the field near the end, and a couple plays that went for 1st downs. You gotta do better.
I'm sure you aren't surprised that you still haven't been given any other examples lol.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On Rodgers final pass, ESB had 1-2 steps on his defender. Rodgers should have launched the deep ball to him instead of Adams.
You know why EQ was open? The ball was already thrown. He didn't come open until well after, at any point up until then he was not even a target by design in the play and he was running directly to a defender with a 10 yard cushion when that ball was thrown. he was not at any point "open" during that play, to suggest proves my last point, complete lack of understanding or appreciation for the game you just watched.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why isn't it possible for ST to commit more than 1 blunder in a game? We've seen defenses that give up a touchdown on almost every single possession (2009 Arizona playoff game).

I was being sarcastic. Obviously it’s very possible as we all got to watch happen in real time.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm an "Option #1" fan myself.

I think you keep the best quarterback in the game in your stable as long as you can.

Fair enough!

If they do that, I’m not going to criticize it.

I guess one argument is that while they’ll have to sacrifice some depth to get under the cap, they went through this season without a lot of because of injuries.