The Big Choice

Which option do you want the Packers to pursue?

• Kick the cap can down the road and try to run it back.

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • Gut the roster, take your cap medicine, and usher in the new era.

Votes: 24 64.9%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Oh for sure, if you bring Rodgers back it signals you're gutting the future for 2022 - and at that point you cannot "half-***" that. Rodgers I don't think will come back without some roster specific discussions and "declarations" by Gute that "yes, we will make that work."

Yeah so that’s my point. There are ways to bring him back without gutting the depth. You defer the pain, but that makes sense if you’re gonna keep him and keep trying.

The

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw a photo of a play in the 4th where Lazard was WIDE open in the middle of the field and Rodgers instead throws a long pass to a well covered Adams on 4th down. If he throws it to Lazard that drives continues.
We have discussed that particular play to death…. so far it is the only example i’ve seen. Rodgers literally admitted in his presser that he screwed that play up. he touches the ball on every single offensive play. There is no way he is going to get every single one of them right. I do think the offense should have been better, but that means the whole offense. Jones could have run the deep pass further if he had kept heading upfield and toward the sideline. The offensive line definitely needed to do better. Deguara should have caught that 3rd down pass. Lewis should not have fumbled the ball. Receivers not named Adams should have been getting open consistently…which they were not doing.… and yes Rodgers should have made a few better decisions. Those things didn’t happen, but they still scored enough points to win if the special teams had not literally gifted 10 points to the other side.

Last edited:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
If I am being fair, which I always strive for, could this be a scenario...?

Rodgers says he won't be a part of a rebuild. And even though LaFleur, Gute, Murphy, Ball, etc. try to convince him that they are going to do their best to field the most competitive team possible, Rodgers says "well, since you can't bring everyone back, plus add to the mix, I consider this a rebuild so I want to be traded tooooo ______________".

I think that's quite possible.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is sounding like Denver is serious. I would not just disregard it. Especially if Rodgers wants to go there which could be the case. Though it sounds like they want Adams w/o giving us anything for him.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Rodgers says he won't be a part of a rebuild. And even though LaFleur, Gute, Murphy, Ball, etc. try to convince him that they are going to do their best to field the most competitive team possible, Rodgers says "well, since you can't bring everyone back, plus add to the mix, I consider this a rebuild so I want to be traded tooooo ______________".

I think that’s best for everyone and thought it would be the case even if we won the Super Bowl. There needs to be more than one team in the mix tho.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Jason Wilde

Not my thinking at all.

But wanted it out there

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is sounding like Denver is serious. I would not just disregard it. Especially if Rodgers wants to go there which could be the case. Though it sounds like they want Adams w/o giving us anything for him.
Nobody will give us anything for Adams. He’s a free agent… unless we Franchise him for $20M which we don’t have

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here are some QBs who have taken their teams to the Super Bowl lately Eli Manning, Joe Flacco, Nick Foles, Cam Newton, Colin Kap, Jared Goff, Jimmy Goroppolo…. Gee… so you don’t need a pre ordained HOF, MVP, stat champ to get there?

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to be very honest. The whole goal for the past few seasons is to win the Super Bowl.

Anything less is uncivilized.

If Rodgers decides to hold himself accountable and stay, then GB must do whatever it takes to achieve the ultimate goal; future be damned.

I do not care about future seasons if/when GB wins the Super Bowl. Rodgers gets this team over the hump, once the mission is accomplished, he can go to back home and live his life in Jeopardy!

Should Aaron Rodgers leave, then ok let's maintain stability with the cap.
That was supposed to be this year remember…. “Last Dance”…Adams is (and should) go where he can get the most money in a situation he likes… that’s not Green Bay, it simply is not possible in my understanding of our cap… Rah-Rah-Rah or wishing really hard will not make it so. Rogers intentionally burned Cap money last year… sabotaged the franchise when his ******* were chaffing… you think he’s going to do GB any favors now? We need to handle his ego and his “feelings” long enough to make a deal and move on

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The offense did NOT do enough for a playoff game. There is plenty of blame to go around for their lackluster performance. Head Coach didn’t have them ready for that game, Rodgers did NOT play well for wanting to get to a Super Bowl again and we have known all season long that Special Teams was a walking disaster. That mess should have been addressed a LONG TIME ago! Matt was just plain dumb for promoting an assistant to the fired special teams coach. Just a dumb idea and I do believe that it cost us way too many losses.

did you just wake up :D That play has already been discussed in at least 2 posts besides yours.:D:D
I guess I am late to the party. I did not rrad the entire thread. My bad.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Rodgers is a smart guy and has to know the Packers' cap situation. Perhaps if Rodgers sees that Gute and company find a way to keep most of the roster intact thru creative accounting he will return for one last shot in GB. If not Rodgers will be traded and well finally find out what we have in Love.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair enough!

If they do that, I’m not going to criticize it.

I guess one argument is that while they’ll have to sacrifice some depth to get under the cap, they went through this season without a lot of because of injuries.

You can only kick the can down the road so far before you have to pay the bill (unless you're the federal government, which seems to do it in perpetuity). Sooner or later all the restructuring is going to come to a screeching halt and the Pack will suffer in the same way as Denver and New Orleans are now, and the Rams are about to in the near future.

That said, I would put it off a while longer as long as I have the best quarterback in the league at my disposal. I would do whatever it takes a get a deal done with both Rodgers and Adams, and have Aaron be a big part of the process so that Green Bay could still field a team capable of winning it all. Rodgers is smart, he wants to win, and he knows how his contract is structured will have an impact on the Pack's ability to keep and acquire talent.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The choice is not Aaron Rodgers or “bad quarterbacking”, Jason Wilde must be somebody’s wife

Not necessarily but the choice is a great QB vs one who will likely not be as great which leads to the next point.

Here are some QBs who have taken their teams to the Super Bowl lately Eli Manning, Joe Flacco, Nick Foles, Cam Newton, Colin Kap, Jared Goff, Jimmy Goroppolo…. Gee… so you don’t need a pre ordained HOF, MVP, stat champ to get there?
I don' think he is saying lesser QBs can't get you to the SB. I think what he is saying is that if you have one of those QBs you had better get that type of play out of your defense all the time because those QBs are not going to be able to win you some of the games like an Aaron Rodgers can. They might be able to get you 14 points when your defense holds a team to 13 but can they get you 40 when your defense gives up 39. This is where you say well 14 would have beaten the 49ers and I'd counter with one of those other guys might not have even had us there.

I guess I am late to the party. I did not rrad the entire thread. My bad.
hope the grins told you I was joking.

Reaction score
I‘ve given this much more time than it deserves… so this will be my last reply. I’m not even sure what point you are trying to prove. We all know Rodgers makes mistakes. It should also be obvious that he is a much better QB than most. If you’d rather roll the dice and bet on the longshot fine. Winning a Superbowl is very difficult. Just ask the Vikings. I remember watching the Packers in the 70s and 80s. I also see other teams looking for their first HOF QB EVER and they are still looking. Keep telling yourself how bad Rodgers is… Unfortunately very soon we are all going to find out what it’s like trying to even win a game without one.
I agree you need a good QB. But heres the part you are underestimating.
The current 4 QB’s are a
2nd year
5th year
4th year
and a 3rd year starter.

You don’t need a 20 year starter to Win

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The current 4 QB’s are a
2nd year
5th year
4th year
and a 3rd year starter.

Hang on, Stafford has been around way longer than 5 years no?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The current 4 QB’s are a
2nd year
5th year
4th year
and a 3rd year starter.

Huh? what 4 QBs?

Regardless I don’t believe I’m underestimating anything. I believe you may be underestimating Rodgers and how difficult it will be to replace him though.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gut it like a carp.

Look at the Saints if you want to see what kicking the rock down the road looks like. I have a feeling their 2023 & 2024 cap space will dramatically shrink by March 16 (End of 2021 and beginning of 2022 league years)

2021: Saints were almost $100M over and luckily Drew Brees retired.
2022: $74M over (worst in NFL)
2023: $31M under (2nd least amount of cap room)
2024: $130M under (3rd least amount of cap room)

What are you using as the salary cap numbers for 2023 and 2024?

We know 2022 is 208 million

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trading Rodgers frees up 20 million in cap space and gets you high draft picks and/or talented starters. The Niners are better than the Packers with a Jimmy G as their qb. Wilde is wrong to assume defense can't carry a team. A top defense generally shows up more often than a pass happy offense. As long as Love learns to not turn the ball over, the defense and a good running game can win a lot of games. I say cash Rodgers out now while you can get serious assetts to restock the team. The Packers have a lot of young talent and adding high draft picks and a good starter for Rodgers could make the rebuilding process quick.

Members online