The Big Choice

Which option do you want the Packers to pursue?

• Kick the cap can down the road and try to run it back.

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • Gut the roster, take your cap medicine, and usher in the new era.

Votes: 24 64.9%

• Total voters

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm a firm believer that this is a win now league. I've always felt that way. And when you have a football program that has won 13 games each of the past 3 seasons under Matt LaFleur, you keep trying to find ways to get over the hump.

I know there's a lot of raw emotion that's spilled out from the game as it relates to Aaron Rodgers. I get it. I understand it. It's totally frustrating. It's not only just the result on the surface, it's the result coupled with the reality that expectations were through the roof. All of us were thinking/hoping for Super Bowl, no question about it.

But I really just don't think some are understanding the potential magnitude of moving on from Rodgers. I get the thought (even though I don't agree) of "Jeez we just cannot win with this guy. Blow it up. Start over". Well...what do you think a Jets fan would say to that? What do you think a Bears fan or a Lions fan would say to that? Those fanbases would absolutely die to have what the Packers have had with Rodgers, being in the mix almost every single year.

The other part of this for me is something not many are thinking critically about:

When Favre was wishy washy and wanting to retire, then wanted to play, etc., the Packers finally just said enough is enough and moved on. You want to know why? Because the team KNEW at least some of what they had in Aaron Rodgers waiting in the wings. They saw glimpses. They saw tons of potential. And that made it easy on the team to finally say "okay dude. Enough is enough. We're done".

So if fans and media are so sick and tired of Aaron Rodgers.....why doesn't the team feel this way? If they were SO confident in what they have with Love, why wouldn't they take more of a hard line stance? I'll tell you why...it's because they know Love isn't the guy. Either that, or he's still a long way away from giving anyone in the organization the confidence that he could be the guy.

And if you don't have what you are totally confident is the true successor to Rodgers, why in the world would you move off of him? That's the dilemma the Packers are in. If they truly thought they had Mahomes 2.0, or anything even halfway close to that, this wouldn't even be a discussion.

So to wrap it up, you have to do whatever is humanly possible to get Rodgers on board and move forward with him. At least that's my 2 cents.
Maybe Brett wouldnt follow game plan. "Rumor" is at half time vs Giants nfccg he was going to be benched at half time for not following what MM and OC wanted to do.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are still doing it. Rodgers didn’t have anything to do with the blocked FG… that would have been 13 points. Rodgers didn’t cause Big Dawg to fumble…. that drive seemed destined for points. Rodgers put the ball in Deguara’s hands… he didn’t cause him to drop that key third down pass. Rodgers was harassed by the niners defensive line on every single play … and the offensive line was not good. Meanwhile the defense only allowed 6 points all game…. so yeah that 10 points should have been enough. Rodgers made some mistakes. I wasn’t happy about them either. He is not perfect. He is better than most.

Regarding the Deguara drop, that was another pass that was too low. Note that Deguara had to fall down to try to catch the pass.

Also, Rodgers was not harassed "on every single play". He was pressured on only 12 of 34 dropbacks. https://packerswire.usatoday.com/li...des-49ers-playoffs-rashan-gary-aaron-rodgers/

Ten points just isn't enough to win most playoff games. Would it have been enough to win this game if the defense was flawless (which it pretty much was) AND the special teams was flawless? Yeah, but why would you expect this special teams unit to be flawless? It's pathetic that the presumed-MVP Rodgers would need both the defense and special teams to be flawless to win a playoff game.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regarding the Deguara drop, that was another pass that was too low. Note that Deguara had to fall down to try to catch the pass.

Also, Rodgers was not harassed "on every single play". He was pressured on only 12 of 34 dropbacks. https://packerswire.usatoday.com/li...des-49ers-playoffs-rashan-gary-aaron-rodgers/

Ten points just isn't enough to win most playoff games. Would it have been enough to win this game if the defense was flawless (which it pretty much was) AND the special teams was flawless? Yeah, but why would you expect this special teams unit to be flawless? It's pathetic that the presumed-MVP Rodgers would need both the defense and special teams to be flawless to win a playoff game.
I‘ve given this much more time than it deserves… so this will be my last reply. I’m not even sure what point you are trying to prove. We all know Rodgers makes mistakes. It should also be obvious that he is a much better QB than most. If you’d rather roll the dice and bet on the longshot fine. Winning a Superbowl is very difficult. Just ask the Vikings. I remember watching the Packers in the 70s and 80s. I also see other teams looking for their first HOF QB EVER and they are still looking. Keep telling yourself how bad Rodgers is… Unfortunately very soon we are all going to find out what it’s like trying to even win a game without one.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes he should … speculating about what Brady would have done is irrelevant though. Saying he is no longer a good QB is just ridiculous. He finished the regular season as the favorite to win the MVP.… and please don’t give me the nonsense about only being a good regular season QB … thats the kind of crap an ESPN reporter would come up with to sell a story. Rodgers did make mistakes in the game. He also made enough plays to win it if others had not made a bunch of key mistakes.
Obviously he did NOT make enough plays to win it. Do you know how many times 10 points was enough to win a playoff game since the Super Bowl era? THREE. You have about a 0.5% chance of winning a playoff game with 10 points.

And I don't give two ***** about the regular season. He probably has a fourth MVP. Good for him. Now do it in the GD playoffs! BTW, what makes you say he's a good playoff QB? Since winning the Superbowl his record is 7-9. Or is that everyone else's fault too?

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I‘ve given this much more time than it deserves… so this will be my last reply. I’m not even sure what point you are trying to prove. We all know Rodgers makes mistakes.
They're called unforced errors, and the difference is some of you are happy to live with them, regardless of how many playoff games he loses because of them and the rest of us are sick of it. Last year he screamed at the defense, "Get the f.-ing ball back!" They did. TWICE. And he did NOTHING with it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I see this truly devastating this franchise eventually down the road in a very big way…but I’ll rejoice if it wins us a SB!

Shared this in the 2022 cap discussion thread.

If this is true, then I'm assuming they have a feeling they can convince a TON of folks to take similar money as to 2021 - push intense amount of money into the future, which sure may cripple the franchise 2023 onward but give us one more shot with Rodgers.

I'm stuck unsure of what I think....I guess a lot of that will depend on just how much future doomsday we really do make happen. With Rodgers wanting to have his decision well before FA starts and such, we don't even have a month before we know direction...strap in fellow Packer fans, we may be taking another crazy ride this year. Also don't forget to pack a tough of supplies for the massive drought to follow.

WNY PackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you think you're gonna win the Superbowl next year, keep him, if not, trade him for as much as you can get.
New England let Brady go, sat out the playoffs for one year and was back in again this year.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That ball should be caught 10 out of 10 times. and I assume you watched the game. Rodgers was pressured all night. There was rarely a clean pocket and if he wasn't harassed it was because he escaped and gave himself some time throwing on the run.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
False dichotomy. Those aren't the only options. I'd prefer to tag/trade Adams and trade Rodgers. The roster doesn't have to be gutted.

I agree that there are more options but the game is to pick one or the other.
The roster doesn't need to be gutted but I don't see where 2022 can be a reload and make another run without creating more cap problems down the road. Some players could easily be cut because their cheaper replacements probably wouldn't be much of a drop off. As an example if the Packers outright cut Marcedes Lewis, Cobb, and Crosby there is $10M in cap saving for just these three.
The dead cap for 2022 will be high but it sets up the team for 2023 .

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. 70% of the voters are ready to rebuild?!!! How foolish. Let's take a few weeks and separate emotion from logic.

OR....some weight the truth that if we fiscally kick the can to try once more in 2022 - you are not only creating a rebuild but a destruction of the franchise for years after. There is ZERO guarantee either way of success.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Tagging Adams makes us responsible for that huge salary all in one year 2022. We would then have 8 days to make that trade or we would be screwed… not a likely option.
I keep seeing this 8 days crap. Yes on paper and by rule it is but do you think there is not a tri-lateral gentleman's agreement in place between DA17's negotiating team, the Packers, and the trade partner before it happens?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I keep seeing this 8 days crap. Yes on paper and by rule it is but do you think there is not a tri-lateral gentleman's agreement in place between DA17's negotiating team, the Packers, and the trade partner before it happens?
I think it’s possible but unlikely.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raw emotion says tear it down.

However, as demonstrated Saturday night, this defense is ready to win right now and will remain (mostly) intact.

If Rodgers/Adams go, this game will be the resonating, lasting memory of their time in GB. It doesn't get much uglier and more pitiful than that. I don't think they want it to end like that. I can't help but feel that the guys in that locker room are in favor of running it back.

It's not often you have a QB who gets you to this round almost annually. It is not often you have a team capable of competing for a Super Bowl. Make the most of it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its easier with a future HOF QB.

I wasn't referencing easier....but that depends easier for what? To see success in 2022? To see success over the next 5-6 years?

Two very different answers would fit depending on what you're discussing.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
However, as demonstrated Saturday night, this defense is ready to win right now and will remain (mostly) intact.
Not true.

Douglas, Campbell and Barnes just off the top are not signed. Sullivan, King also not signed as well that played a lot. Also no way both Smiths can be on roster with Z hitting the cap with $27.6M and Preston hitting the cap with $20.9M. Didn't mention Burks or Black even yet that both are not signed in 2022.

Those are some massive losses overall to yes a very good unit.

Snap counts for those listed in regular season only:

Douglas - 680 snaps - 12 games/wasn't even on the team for a while remember
Campbell - 988 snaps - 16 games/didn't play one week
Barnes - 527 snaps - 16 games
Sullivan - 826 snaps - in all games
King - 303 snaps - only played in 10
Z - 18 snaps
Preston - 689 snaps - 16 games
Burks - 205 snaps
Black - 262 snaps

*Edit - forgot Tyler Lancaster also not signed, played 319 snaps.

Last edited:

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raw emotion says tear it down.

If Rodgers/Adams go, this game will be the resonating, lasting memory of their time in GB. It doesn't get much uglier and more pitiful than that. I don't think they want it to end like that. I can't help but feel that the guys in that locker room are in favor of running it back.

It's not often you have a QB who gets you to this round almost annually. It is not often you have a team capable of competing for a Super Bowl. Make the most of it.

As of today its been 72 hours since Judgment Day. GB was exposed by the 49ers in everyway possible. Nearly every conceivable advantage in the favor of Green Bay meant nothing when facing a team that seemingly is mentally tougher. 3 things immediately jumped out to me.

1) Multiple 49er players playing through injuries.

2) Coaches actually making adjustments within the flow of the game.

3) After the ST blunder by GB tying the game, the Packers wilted under pressure.

Forget about loyalty over production, forget about nepotism disguised as due diligence, and definitely forget about resting on your laurels. #1 seed, bye week, and acclaim mean nothing when you're not prepared (2 weeks mind you) to completely dominate a low seed team traveling cross country to play in your stadium.

To me 1/22/22 will forever be Judgment Day for the Rodgers era and Packer fans. Rodgers is clearly a HOF QB, the franchise player, and obviously the best chance to return to the postseason next year.

However, we need to adjust our expectations. Rodgers is a high functioning complimentary player at this point. NO MORE HERO BALL.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't referencing easier....but that depends easier for what? To see success in 2022? To see success over the next 5-6 years?

Two very different answers would fit depending on what you're discussing.

I'm going to be very honest. The whole goal for the past few seasons is to win the Super Bowl.

Anything less is uncivilized.

If Rodgers decides to hold himself accountable and stay, then GB must do whatever it takes to achieve the ultimate goal; future be damned.

I do not care about future seasons if/when GB wins the Super Bowl. Rodgers gets this team over the hump, once the mission is accomplished, he can go to back home and live his life in Jeopardy!

Should Aaron Rodgers leave, then ok let's maintain stability with the cap.

Last edited:

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
However, we need to adjust our expectations. Rodgers is a high functioning complimentary player at this point. NO MORE HERO BALL.
Yeah, he's no longer able to carry a team on his back like in 2009-2010. He needs a perfect defense and perfect special teams in order to win a playoff game.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2) Coaches actually making adjustments within the flow of the game.

THIS needs to be emphasized. I heard a radio host criticizing MLF for pumping up the crowd while his team was on defense, rather than coaching and paying attention to the details on the field. While the criticism was a bit over the top, the lack of adjustments was glaring.

As the game progressed, SF got BETTER and we got WORSE. The buck stops at MLF.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
THIS needs to be emphasized. I heard a radio host criticizing MLF for pumping up the crowd while his team was on defense, rather than coaching and paying attention to the details on the field. While the criticism was a bit over the top, the lack of adjustments was glaring.

As the game progressed, SF got BETTER and we got WORSE. The buck stops at MLF.
MLF is well aware of his issues. I've heard him say "that's on me" so many times throughout the season. Not sure he's capable of fixing the issues though.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to be very honest. The whole goal for the past few is to win the Super Bowl.

Anything less is uncivilized.

If Rodgers decides to hold himself accountable and stay, then GB must do whatever it takes to achieve the ultimate goal; future be damned.

I do not care about future seasons if/when GB wins the Super Bowl. Rodgers gets this team over the hump, once the mission is accomplished, he can go to back home and live his life in Jeopardy!

Should Aaron Rodgers leave, then ok let's maintain stability with the cap.

I was only asking what metric you were using the term verse. Correct it would be easier to win a SB in 2022 most likely with Aaron Rodgers than without - something I've assumed for ten straight appearances in the playoffs with him honestly.

Members online

Latest posts