The 2019 Dantés Draft Thread

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
???

Ohhhh... I see what you mean.

No, Janis-- we aren't talking about a "how many licks does it take to get to the center of tootsie pop" contest. Although a 72 is respectable.

I would explain it, but I don't think it would make sense to you.

I also got a 2100 on the ACT.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Larry Fitz retires at 7:15pm central time on Thursday and the Packers don't screw up the first round.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
We only have one year of data with Gutekunst at the helm, but last year the Packers drafted four players who came in for top 30 visits:
  • Oren Burks, LB, VAN (3rd)
  • J'Mon Moore, WR, MIZZ (4th)
  • Marquez Valdes-Scantling, WR, USF (5th)
  • Kendall Donnerson, ED, SEMO (7th)
Here are some notable, draftable names from top 30 visits from this year to keep an eye on:
  • Jonah Williams, OL, UA
  • Montez Sweat, ED, MSU
  • Andre Dillard, OT, WSU
  • Jeffery Simmons, iDL, MSU
  • Drew Lock, QB, MIZZ
  • A.J. Brown, WR, MISS
  • Kaleb McGary, OT, UW
  • Sean Bunting, CB, WMU
  • Greg Little, OT, MISS
  • Trysten Hill, iDL, UCF
  • Kahale Warring, TE, SDSU
  • Chase Sternberger, TE, TAMU
  • Tytus Howard, OT, ALSU
  • Greg Gaines, iDL, UW
  • Kaden Elliss, LB, ID

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Want to go on record with some of my draft predictions, but not proud enough to start a new thread for it. Here goeth I:

1. AJ Brown will have more yds/receptions/TDs than DK Metcalf in every year Metcalf is in the league.
  2. Rashaan Gary is an amazing athlete who plays football (just like Metcalf). As opposed to being an amazing football player who is a great athlete. Gary will never realize his potential.
  3. If the Pack gets Devin White at 12 and Brian Burns at 30, White will have twice as many sacks. (White at 12 is more unlikely)
  4. Deionte Thompson (often mocked to the Pack at 12 or in the top 10 just a few months ago) will be drafted later than 60.
  5. In 3 years nobody is going to remember Simmons missed at least a portion of his rookie year and he will be seen as a huge steal. He will end up being one of the top 2 or 3 players from this draft.
  6. Kyler Murray will be an elite QB.
  7. After the top 8 players, the next 20 are all about the same. The next 30 are about the same after that. It’s a weird draft.
  8. Top8? Bosa, White, Q Williams, Josh Allen, Jawaan Taylor, Murray, Hockenson and Oliver. (it was 9 before Simmons got hurt)
  9. There is a 75% chance one of the top 8 are there at 12. Hock, Oliver and White in order of likeliness.
  10. We will trade back with one of our first 3 picks.
  11. The Raiders are going to do something really stupid. Maybe with their 4th overall pick.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Want to go on record with some of my draft predictions, but not proud enough to start a new thread for it. Here goeth I:

1. AJ Brown will have more yds/receptions/TDs than DK Metcalf in every year Metcalf is in the league.
  2. Rashaan Gary is an amazing athlete who plays football (just like Metcalf). As opposed to being an amazing football player who is a great athlete. Gary will never realize his potential.
  3. If the Pack gets Devin White at 12 and Brian Burns at 30, White will have twice as many sacks. (White at 12 is more unlikely)
  4. Deionte Thompson (often mocked to the Pack at 12 or in the top 10 just a few months ago) will be drafted later than 60.
  5. In 3 years nobody is going to remember Simmons missed at least a portion of his rookie year and he will be seen as a huge steal. He will end up being one of the top 2 or 3 players from this draft.
  7. After the top 8 players, the next 20 are all about the same. The next 30 are about the same after that. It’s a weird draft.
  8. Top8? Bosa, White, Q Williams, Josh Allen, Jawaan Taylor, Murray, Hockenson and Oliver. (it was 9 before Simmons got hurt)
  9. There is a 75% chance one of the top 8 are there at 12. Hock, Oliver and White in order of likeliness.
  11. The Raiders are going to do something really stupid. Maybe with their 4th overall pick.

I don't agree with 100% of this, but we see this draft very similarly.

So here's another thought. Of the following, who are the top 5 players most likely to bust in your opinion?
  1. Q. Williams
  2. N. Bosa
  3. E. Oliver
  4. J. Allen
  5. J. Williams
  6. J. Taylor
  7. D. Bush
  8. M. Sweat
  9. T. Hockenson
  10. D. White
  11. A. Dillard
  12. B. Burns
  13. R. Gary
  14. D. Metcalf
  15. G. Williams
I would go Metcalf, Gary, Greedy, Allen, and Burns.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't agree with 100% of this, but we see this draft very similarly.

So here's another thought. Of the following, who are the top 5 players most likely to bust in your opinion?
  1. Q. Williams
  2. N. Bosa
  3. E. Oliver
  4. J. Allen
  5. J. Williams
  6. J. Taylor
  7. D. Bush
  8. M. Sweat
  9. T. Hockenson
  10. D. White
  11. A. Dillard
  12. B. Burns
  13. R. Gary
  14. D. Metcalf
  15. G. Williams
I would go Metcalf, Gary, Greedy, Allen, and Burns.
I'm close. But I would go:

Metcalf, Gary, Burns, Taylor, and greedy.

Of those, only Taylor is worth the risk at 12.

Tough to call. If I was Gute, I would hire psychologists to analyze each player. Want to see who really loves football and is likely to dedicate themselves. Any player can bust. Starting next Monday the question becomes how hard are they willing to work and sacrafice. Other than injury, it's the only thing preventing these guys from suceeding.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm close. But I would go:

Metcalf, Gary, Burns, Taylor, and greedy.

Of those, only Taylor is worth the risk at 12.

Tough to call. If I was Gute, I would hire psychologists to analyze each player. Want to see who really loves football and is likely to dedicate themselves. Any player can bust. Starting next Monday the question becomes how hard are they willing to work and sacrafice. Other than injury, it's the only thing preventing these guys from suceeding.

Taylor's past weight fluctuations are concerning, as is his sloppy technique. However, I think he will be fine in a gap scheme offense. I don't think he fits LaFleur at all though.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dante, thanks for taking the time to put together your thoughts regarding picks (who, when) in this year's draft. I don't have the patience or the intelligence to study a lot of the prospects. I appreciate your point of view and it gives me some perspective when I'm trying to guess who they might pick.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Dante, thanks for taking the time to put together your thoughts regarding picks (who, when) in this year's draft. I don't have the patience or the intelligence to study a lot of the prospects. I appreciate your point of view and it gives me some perspective when I'm trying to guess who they might pick.

Thanks! Hopefully they can land some of those players. Unless I'm wrong. In which case, hopefully they avoid some of those players :D.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here's my final stab at it...
  • #12: T. Hockenson, TE, Iowa
  • #30: K. McGary, OT, Washington
  • #44: C. Gardner-Johnson, DB, Florida
  • #75: M. Hardman, WR, Georgia
  • #114: D. Ozigbo, RB, Nebraska
  • #118: C. Smith, LB, USC
  • #150: J. Moreland, CB, JMU
  • #185: K. Elliss, ED, ID
  • #194: M. Gay, K, UT
  • #226: E. Stick, QB, NDSU
This will, of course, get blown up the first time that Gute slings a trade.

Last edited:

FrozenTakesInGB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, I kinda made my splash on here two years ago when I straight up called the draft day trade that the Packers ended up making with Cleveland pick for pick. https://www.packerforum.com/threads/should-tt-trade-out-of-first-round.72659/page-4#post-718760

As such, I am going to call a draft trade on my official mock draft today as well. Only because I have seen Gute for one draft, had no idea what to expect last draft.

12- T.J. Hockenson, TE, Iowa
I held off on Hockenson, because I'm not the biggest fan of taking a TE at 12, but there seems to be some real fire here.

30- Trade to Denver Broncos for 41 and 71
We took the Broncos T/G Billy Turner for four years this offseason and now the Broncos want to fill that by drafting T/G Dalton Risner in the first round so that they have that fifth year option. I realize that we would greatly win this trade according to the trade chart, but I think teams greatly covet that fifth year option nowadays.

41- Isaiah Johnson, CB, Houston
I used to live in Houston, so I'm partial to Cougar players. I have a funny suspicion that we are going to draft a lot of cornerbacks this year and I believe Johnson to be the best of the bunch.

44- Garrett Bradbury, C, NC State
People might not like this pick because Corey Linsley is under contract for two more years. But, the team has a lot of players that they are going to want to keep around the next two offseasons, leading me to believe that Linsley will walk. Bradbury is the BPA at 44 by far.

71- David Edwards, OT, Wisconsin
Edwards is one of the 20ish local players that the Packers brought in for local draft visits from Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Northern Illinois. Preseason, he was considered a first round pick and I think he ends up being a better player than Risner who goes 30. That Wisconsin pedigree means a lot when you are an offensive lineman, it's not a stereotype.

75- Joejuan Williams, CB, Vanderbilt
I've seen a Richard Sherman comp on Williams. I think Matt and Mike want a ton of competition among the cornerbacks, because they recognize that to win Super Bowls you need guys that can cover from multiple defensive schemes.

114- Miles Sanders, RB, Penn State
My only pick that stayed the same from my initial mock draft on page 46 of this thread. If he doesn't get picked by the Bears at 87 (their first pick) he falls to the Packers and is another threat out of the backfield. Lafleur likes running backs.

118- Mecole Hardman, WR, Georgia
Burner. Poor man's version of Tyreek Hill is what it says on the NFL.com website, but, a better man. Sign. Me. Up. at 118. Give Rodgers a weapon like that please, Tarik Cohen has been very tough to deal within the division.

150- Saivion Smith, CB, Alabama
Another CB, from battle tested Alabama.

185- Anthony Ratliff-Williams, WR, North Carolina
He is a bit of a project after a position change, but I like him.

194- Byron Cowart, Edge, Maryland
He was the #1 high school recruit in the nation in 2015 ahead of guys like Josh Rosen, Derwin James, and Green Bay's own Kahlil McKenzie. Things obviously didn't work out at Auburn, but I still think that his potential is totally worth the 194th pick.

226- Hamp Cheevers, CB, Boston College
The man is small, but the man is a BALLHAWK. He should make an NFL team.

D

Deleted member 6794

So, I kinda made my splash on here two years ago when I straight up called the draft day trade that the Packers ended up making with Cleveland pick for pick. https://www.packerforum.com/threads/should-tt-trade-out-of-first-round.72659/page-4#post-718760

As such, I am going to call a draft trade on my official mock draft today as well. Only because I have seen Gute for one draft, had no idea what to expect last draft.

12- T.J. Hockenson, TE, Iowa
I held off on Hockenson, because I'm not the biggest fan of taking a TE at 12, but there seems to be some real fire here.

30- Trade to Denver Broncos for 41 and 71
We took the Broncos T/G Billy Turner for four years this offseason and now the Broncos want to fill that by drafting T/G Dalton Risner in the first round so that they have that fifth year option. I realize that we would greatly win this trade according to the trade chart, but I think teams greatly covet that fifth year option nowadays.

41- Isaiah Johnson, CB, Houston
I used to live in Houston, so I'm partial to Cougar players. I have a funny suspicion that we are going to draft a lot of cornerbacks this year and I believe Johnson to be the best of the bunch.

44- Garrett Bradbury, C, NC State
People might not like this pick because Corey Linsley is under contract for two more years. But, the team has a lot of players that they are going to want to keep around the next two offseasons, leading me to believe that Linsley will walk. Bradbury is the BPA at 44 by far.

71- David Edwards, OT, Wisconsin
Edwards is one of the 20ish local players that the Packers brought in for local draft visits from Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Northern Illinois. Preseason, he was considered a first round pick and I think he ends up being a better player than Risner who goes 30. That Wisconsin pedigree means a lot when you are an offensive lineman, it's not a stereotype.

75- Joejuan Williams, CB, Vanderbilt
I've seen a Richard Sherman comp on Williams. I think Matt and Mike want a ton of competition among the cornerbacks, because they recognize that to win Super Bowls you need guys that can cover from multiple defensive schemes.

114- Miles Sanders, RB, Penn State
My only pick that stayed the same from my initial mock draft on page 46 of this thread. If he doesn't get picked by the Bears at 87 (their first pick) he falls to the Packers and is another threat out of the backfield. Lafleur likes running backs.

118- Mecole Hardman, WR, Georgia
Burner. Poor man's version of Tyreek Hill is what it says on the NFL.com website, but, a better man. Sign. Me. Up. at 118. Give Rodgers a weapon like that please, Tarik Cohen has been very tough to deal within the division.

150- Saivion Smith, CB, Alabama
Another CB, from battle tested Alabama.

185- Anthony Ratliff-Williams, WR, North Carolina
He is a bit of a project after a position change, but I like him.

194- Byron Cowart, Edge, Maryland
He was the #1 high school recruit in the nation in 2015 ahead of guys like Josh Rosen, Derwin James, and Green Bay's own Kahlil McKenzie. Things obviously didn't work out at Auburn, but I still think that his potential is totally worth the 194th pick.

226- Hamp Cheevers, CB, Boston College
The man is small, but the man is a BALLHAWK. He should make an NFL team.

I would be shocked if the Packers end up drafting four cornerbacks while not a single safety.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I would be shocked if the Packers end up drafting four cornerbacks while not a single safety.

While I totally agree with you, I think due to Kevin King's inability to stay healthy, Gute is going to have to think about using another relatively high pick on the position. King was the only one not taking part in the minicamp yesterday. Still shaking my head that we gave up the chance to draft TJ Watt and instead got 2 damaged players in King and Biegel.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
True, Thompson passing on Watt was definitely a huge mistake.
Not surprising though, given TT's track record in his final years of doing it.

Looking back on those last years, it really seems like TT spent most of his time "bargain hunting", hoping to hit a home run on a player, but instead, for the most part, striking out.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The King and Biegel for Watt thing doesn't seem to be working out very well, though at the time I didn't think it was a bad move. though I wasn't as high on King and though Biegel would be pretty good. Turns out King is good enough, just not healthy enough and Biegel wasn't very good. I did think Watt was going to do well, but spend most of his time injured as I don't think his body is built to carry that much muscle and strength.

So far I've been pretty wrong in my initial thoughts on that draft move :)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Without thinking much about it, I thought this was a typo:

"Brian Gutekunst enters his 21st draft with the #Packers"

But he has been with the Packers since 1998.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Heres my ROUGH Takes-before draft
  1. Haskins is the best QB out of this Draft.
  2. Bosa is injury prone and barely plays 10 games his rookie season.
  3. Murray struggles to translate into the NFL his first season, getting sacked multiple times but improves.
    • Drew Lock is the bust out of this draft.
  4. Rapp is the best safety out of this draft but falls in draft due speed concerns.
  5. Josh Allen falls out of top 5 in the draft, solid rookie start.
  6. David Montgomery and Rodney Anderson probably best RBs out this draft.
  7. DK Metcafe is a bust and his teammate AJ Brown outperforms him.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The draft always reminds us that we really don't know exactly where these guys are going, but if they could move back a a few slots from #44 and pick up a 4th, this is what I would look to do today/tomorrow:
  • ~50. M. Scharping, OT, NIU
  • 75. K. Warring, TE, SDSU
  • ~120. M. Hardman, WR, UGA
  • 150. C. Smith, LB, USC
  • 185. A. Barnes, RB, KSU
  • 194. M. Gay, K, UTAH
  • 226. E. Stick, QB, NDSU
That's fairly optimistic I'd say, but who knows...

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The draft always reminds us that we really don't know exactly where these guys are going, but if they could move back a a few slots from #44 and pick up a 4th, this is what I would look to do today/tomorrow:
  • ~50. M. Scharping, OT, NIU
  • 75. K. Warring, TE, SDSU
  • ~120. M. Hardman, WR, UGA
  • 150. C. Smith, LB, USC
  • 185. A. Barnes, RB, KSU
  • 194. M. Gay, K, UTAH
  • 226. E. Stick, QB, NDSU
That's fairly optimistic I'd say, but who knows...

I'd probably be OK with that. Don't know about the guys you listed but the idea is sound to get a 4th rounder back. If Risner or Taylor or Ford or Little don't fall to 44 I'd be all for a trade back.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
True, Thompson passing on Watt was definitely a huge mistake.
I always thought Watt was probably the “safest” pick for any 3-4 team picking after pick 12. Had probably the best intangibles of any player in that draft class.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts