The 2019 Dantés Draft Thread

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Damontre Moore & Jayrone Elliott are AAF leaders in sacks & pressures... Moore is 6'-4, 260 and ran the 40 in 4.95 out of school (6 yrs ago). Elliott is 6'-3", 255 and ran 4.67. IF Gute wants more OLB depth I'd rather have Elliott back.

I'm sure I missed quite a few on my list. Elliott looked like he had some promise in Green Bay, but then didn't do much. He was given a chance in Dallas and New Orleans too and nothing. Maybe he has improved. Going to be really hard to grade these guys considering the competition. But I guess not much different then bringing in UDFA's for tryouts.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure I missed quite a few on my list. Elliott looked like he had some promise in Green Bay, but then didn't do much. He was given a chance in Dallas and New Orleans too and nothing. Maybe he has improved. Going to be really hard to grade these guys considering the competition. But I guess not much different then bringing in UDFA's for tryouts.

Most of these guys had a chance in the NFL and couldn't make it. I don't hold out much hope for many of them to make it now. Elliot had 3 chances in the NFL and couldn't stick. It wouldn't surprise me if he got another chance but I would be far more surprised if he stuck than if he didn't. If Gute wants to bring in some of these guys for a look see I'm OK with it but there is not a single one that I would look at and say "I want this guy"

D

Deleted member 6794

Damontre Moore & Jayrone Elliott are AAF leaders in sacks & pressures... Moore is 6'-4, 260 and ran the 40 in 4.95 out of school (6 yrs ago). Elliott is 6'-3", 255 and ran 4.67. IF Gute wants more OLB depth I'd rather have Elliott back.

The Packers shouldn't even consider bringing back former players that performed at a high level during their tenures in Green Bay but there's absolutely no reason to think about offering guys like Elliott a chance to make the roster again.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Ok, so let me use my clusters to try a mock. I'll try to pick the entire first round, and then just the Packers' picks thereafter:
  1. ARI: K. Murray, QB, OK
  2. SF: N. Bosa, ED, OSU
  3. NYJ: J. Allen, ED, UK
  4. OAK: Q. Williams, iDL, UA
  5. TB: E. Oliver, iDL, UH
  6. NYG: D. Haskins, QB, OSU
  7. JAC: J. Taylor, OT, FLA
  8. DET: M. Sweat, ED, MSU
  9. BUF: J. Williams, OL, UA
  10. DEN: D. Lock, QB, MIZZ
  11. CIN: D. White, LB, LSU
  12. GB: A. Dillard, OT, WSU: With Oliver and Williams off the board, Dillard is next man up in my cluster of players. If Bulaga is starting in 2019, then Dillard isn't an immediate starter. However, you figure he would certainly see the field as a rookie given Bulaga's injury history, and he would be the heir apparent at a really important position. Mediocre tackles are getting insane money on the open market. Getting a good one on a rookie contract and extending that player before they can hit FA is a huge value. Dillard's main concern is the offense he played in. However, he's the most talented offensive lineman in this class, his athleticism marries well with an OZ scheme, and he has aced every stop of the offseason, proving that he is capable of quickly taking to a pro style system. The Cole Madison selection last year (albeit a much later pick) proves this FO's willingness to draft OL out of the WSU system.
  13. MIA: C. Ford, OL, OK
  14. ATL: C. Wilkins, iDL, CLEM
  15. WAS: D. Metcalf, WR, MISS
  16. CAR: R. Gary, ED, UM
  17. NYG: J. Tillery, DL, ND
  18. MIN: D. Risner, OL, KSU
  19. TEN: B. Burns, ED, FSU
  20. PIT: D. Bush, LB, UM
  21. SEA: J. Layne, CB, MSU
  22. BAL: P. Campbell, WR, OSU
  23. HOU: T. Hockenson, TE, IA
  24. OAK: G. Williams, CB, LSU
  25. PHI: N. Adderley, DB, DEL
  26. IND: B. Murphy, CB, UW
  27. OAK: J. Jacobs, RB, UA
  28. LAC: D. Lawrence, iDL, CLEM
  29. KC: C. Ferrell, ED, CLEM
  30. GB: A. Brown, WR, MISS: If the Packers are going to add another young player to the receiving corps, it should be someone who diversifies the skillset of the group. Brown does that. While he needs work on his press releases, his combination of power and quickness allows both for separation and yards after the catch. He is the best "big slot" prospect in this class and would provide Rodgers with a reliable underneath target who can make plays, uncover early in the down, and keep the offense on schedule.
  31. LAR: E. McCoy, OL, TAMU
  32. NE: N. Fant, TE, IA
Pick #44: J. Thornhill, S, UVA: Unless one still views Josh Jones as a safety (as opposed to a dime linebacker), the only safeties on the roster whose names I recognize are Adrian Amos and 2018 UDFA Raven Greene. They need more help here in a bad way. There is a cluster of safeties that should fall somewhere in the top ~50 picks (Adderley, Gardner-Johnson, Thornhill, Savage), one of whom I think the Packers really need to target/land, and none of whom I think will fall to #75.

Pick #75: K. Warring, TE, SDSU: There are two TE's I would target in the 3rd round if one isn't selected earlier: Dawson Knox of Ole Miss and Warring. They are similarly athletic and both come with the willingness and frame to block. Warring hasn't been playing the position as long and isn't as developed, but he demonstrated more upside to me as a pass catcher. Either would be welcome additions and could develop into starters in the near future.

Pick #114: C. Smith, LB, USC: Smith is being slept on a bit in this class. He was a really steady MIKE for USC and proved at the combine to be a pretty exceptional athlete. I could see him developing into a Blake Martinez level starter in the near future. If he could do so in a hurry, he might prevent the necessity of having to pay a lucrative 2nd contract to Martinez, which would be ideal.

Pick #118: D. Ozigbo, RB, NEB: Ozigbo doesn't have a long track record of production for the Cornhuskers, but he brings a unique blend of power and speed that the Packers currently lack on the roster. He profiles to me as an ideal backfield running mate to complement Aaron Jones. For a bigger back, he catches the ball pretty well and could be a factor in the passing game.

Pick #150: M. Hyatt, OL, CLEM: Hyatt seems like a forgotten man in this class. Some seem to view him as a tweener (not athletic/long enough for OT, not strong enough for OG). When I look at him, I see a classic OT>iOL Packers conversion project. His agility numbers hit the targets that have tended to be projectable (sub 7.75 in the 3C and sub 4.75 in the SS) and he's played a lot of high level football. I could see him catching on at OG and developing into a starter down the road.

Pick #185: J. Brailford, ED, OKST: Brailford doesn't have much of a plan as a pass rusher, but he has explosive edge speed and could get into the mix with Donnerson to compete for that edge burner role in the front 7.

Pick #194: C. Tracy, K, LSU:
<insert kicker here> I'm not going to claim to be knowledgeable on the kickers in this class, but Tracy is widely regarded as the best one. Mason Crosby makes way too much to be an average performer.

Pick #226: G. Dortch, WR, WF:
Dortch is tiny (~175 lbs) but he has some punt return skills and the Packers have to find a better answer to that problem in 2019.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It didn't take the NFL long to take ownership of AAF players! WTF!

AAF leading rusher Jhurell Pressley of the Arizona Hotshots is being suspended 2 games by the NFL for a pending issue, source said. It’s what is delaying his signing. That said, he has two workouts next week & could be signed now that his off-the-field situation is settled.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So what could a trade down look like, if they end up being able to pull one off? Miami at 13, Washington at 15, and New York at 17 are all possibilities for a QB and could be eager to get ahead of one another to secure a 2nd tier option who is dropping. Say they move to #15 in exchange for Washington's 3rd (pick #76):

1. D. Bush, LB, UM
1. A. Brown, WR, MISS
2. J. Thornhill, S, UVA
3. M. Scharping, OT, NIU
3. K. Warring, TE, SDSU
4. M. Hyatt, OL, CLEM
4. D. Ozigbo, RB, NEB
5. K. Saunders, iDL, WIU

OR

1. T. Hockenson, TE, IA
1. D. Risner, OL, KSU
2. J. Thornhill, S, UVA
3. G. Pratt, LB, NCSU
3. M. Hardman, WR, UGA
4. M. Hyatt, OL, CLEM
4. D. Ozigbo, RB, NEB
5. K. Saunders, iDL, WIU

New York would be an interesting scenario. They don't have a 3rd. So perhaps the Packers could send 12 and 75 for 17 and 37.

1. D. Bush, LB, UM
1. A. Brown, WR, MISS
2. K. McGary, OT, UW
2. I. Smith, TE, UA
4. M. Jordan, OL, OSU
4. D. Ozibgo, RB, NEB
5. K. Saunders, iDL, WIU

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Ok, so let me use my clusters to try a mock. I'll try to pick the entire first round, and then just the Packers' picks thereafter:
  1. ARI: K. Murray, QB, OK
  2. SF: N. Bosa, ED, OSU
  3. NYJ: J. Allen, ED, UK
  4. OAK: Q. Williams, iDL, UA
  5. TB: E. Oliver, iDL, UH
  6. NYG: D. Haskins, QB, OSU
  7. JAC: J. Taylor, OT, FLA
  8. DET: M. Sweat, ED, MSU
  9. BUF: J. Williams, OL, UA
  10. DEN: D. Lock, QB, MIZZ
  11. CIN: D. White, LB, LSU
  12. GB: A. Dillard, OT, WSU: With Oliver and Williams off the board, Dillard is next man up in my cluster of players. If Bulaga is starting in 2019, then Dillard isn't an immediate starter. However, you figure he would certainly see the field as a rookie given Bulaga's injury history, and he would be the heir apparent at a really important position. Mediocre tackles are getting insane money on the open market. Getting a good one on a rookie contract and extending that player before they can hit FA is a huge value. Dillard's main concern is the offense he played in. However, he's the most talented offensive lineman in this class, his athleticism marries well with an OZ scheme, and he has aced every stop of the offseason, proving that he is capable of quickly taking to a pro style system. The Cole Madison selection last year (albeit a much later pick) proves this FO's willingness to draft OL out of the WSU system.
  13. MIA: C. Ford, OL, OK
  14. ATL: C. Wilkins, iDL, CLEM
  15. WAS: D. Metcalf, WR, MISS
  16. CAR: R. Gary, ED, UM
  17. NYG: J. Tillery, DL, ND
  18. MIN: D. Risner, OL, KSU
  19. TEN: B. Burns, ED, FSU
  20. PIT: D. Bush, LB, UM
  21. SEA: J. Layne, CB, MSU
  22. BAL: P. Campbell, WR, OSU
  23. HOU: T. Hockenson, TE, IA
  24. OAK: G. Williams, CB, LSU
  25. PHI: N. Adderley, DB, DEL
  26. IND: B. Murphy, CB, UW
  27. OAK: J. Jacobs, RB, UA
  28. LAC: D. Lawrence, iDL, CLEM
  29. KC: C. Ferrell, ED, CLEM
  30. GB: A. Brown, WR, MISS: If the Packers are going to add another young player to the receiving corps, it should be someone who diversifies the skillset of the group. Brown does that. While he needs work on his press releases, his combination of power and quickness allows both for separation and yards after the catch. He is the best "big slot" prospect in this class and would provide Rodgers with a reliable underneath target who can make plays, uncover early in the down, and keep the offense on schedule.
  31. LAR: E. McCoy, OL, TAMU
  32. NE: N. Fant, TE, IA
Pick #44: J. Thornhill, S, UVA: Unless one still views Josh Jones as a safety (as opposed to a dime linebacker), the only safeties on the roster whose names I recognize are Adrian Amos and 2018 UDFA Raven Greene. They need more help here in a bad way. There is a cluster of safeties that should fall somewhere in the top ~50 picks (Adderley, Gardner-Johnson, Thornhill, Savage), one of whom I think the Packers really need to target/land, and none of whom I think will fall to #75.

Pick #75: K. Warring, TE, SDSU: There are two TE's I would target in the 3rd round if one isn't selected earlier: Dawson Knox of Ole Miss and Warring. They are similarly athletic and both come with the willingness and frame to block. Warring hasn't been playing the position as long and isn't as developed, but he demonstrated more upside to me as a pass catcher. Either would be welcome additions and could develop into starters in the near future.

Pick #114: C. Smith, LB, USC: Smith is being slept on a bit in this class. He was a really steady MIKE for USC and proved at the combine to be a pretty exceptional athlete. I could see him developing into a Blake Martinez level starter in the near future. If he could do so in a hurry, he might prevent the necessity of having to pay a lucrative 2nd contract to Martinez, which would be ideal.

Pick #118: D. Ozigbo, RB, NEB: Ozigbo doesn't have a long track record of production for the Cornhuskers, but he brings a unique blend of power and speed that the Packers currently lack on the roster. He profiles to me as an ideal backfield running mate to complement Aaron Jones. For a bigger back, he catches the ball pretty well and could be a factor in the passing game.

Pick #150: M. Hyatt, OL, CLEM: Hyatt seems like a forgotten man in this class. Some seem to view him as a tweener (not athletic/long enough for OT, not strong enough for OG). When I look at him, I see a classic OT>iOL Packers conversion project. His agility numbers hit the targets that have tended to be projectable (sub 7.75 in the 3C and sub 4.75 in the SS) and he's played a lot of high level football. I could see him catching on at OG and developing into a starter down the road.

Pick #185: J. Brailford, ED, OKST: Brailford doesn't have much of a plan as a pass rusher, but he has explosive edge speed and could get into the mix with Donnerson to compete for that edge burner role in the front 7.

Pick #194: C. Tracy, K, LSU:
<insert kicker here> I'm not going to claim to be knowledgeable on the kickers in this class, but Tracy is widely regarded as the best one. Mason Crosby makes way too much to be an average performer.

Pick #226: G. Dortch, WR, WF:
Dortch is tiny (~175 lbs) but he has some punt return skills and the Packers have to find a better answer to that problem in 2019.

Let's just hope the Packers CLUSTER'S are different then yours.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heard Taylor Rapp ran a 4.7 in the 40 at his pro day.. Went back to look at his film and man... On tape hes quick. Sure he's not the FASTEST on the field but feels more like 4.5 at best. His agility drills are above average.. some people quickly removed him from their board or dropped him into third and fourth. I'd still take him in the second, regardless of what his 40 says. Sound tackler. Smart. Instinctive. Would be a great compliment to Amos.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heard Taylor Rapp ran a 4.7 in the 40 at his pro day.. Went back to look at his film and man... On tape hes quick. Sure he's not the FASTEST on the field but feels more like 4.5 at best. His agility drills are above average.. some people quickly removed him from their board or dropped him into third and fourth. I'd still take him in the second, regardless of what his 40 says. Sound tackler. Smart. Instinctive. Would be a great compliment to Amos.
If Rapp would've run the 40 at the Combine he would've been 4th SLOWEST safety there.

In the 2nd round I'd MUCH rather have: Adderley, Thornhill, Gardner-Johnson or Hooker who will all run in the 4.4's. The Packers need speed on the back end to cover for the CB's playing more aggressively and occasionally getting burned, IMHO.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rapp would've run the 40 at the Combine he would've been 4th SLOWEST safety there.

In the 2nd round I'd MUCH rather have: Adderley, Thornhill, Gardner-Johnson or Hooker who will all run in the 4.4's. The Packers need speed on the back end to cover for the CB's playing more aggressively and occasionally getting burned, IMHO.
Sure he'd have one of lowest 40 time there for safety but guess what? He has one of fastest 3 cone drill, THEE fastest 20 and 60yr shuttle for this years safety. But if you want SPEED, we have it in Josh Jones... that hasnt taken us far.. Let Amos handle the back end and Rapp takes closer to line of scrimmage. At "worst" hes Daniel Sorensen 2.0 has similar speed and physical measurements (undrafted in 2014, probably the best saftey from that draft class with HaHa), at best Rapp would be better. I'll go into battle for Rapp & say he will be the best saftey coming out of this years draft class.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...Let Amos handle the back end and Rapp takes closer to line of scrimmage.
Unfortunately Amos is a 4.56 forty guy who likes to hit (& brings some bang at 6'-0", 215-220). He's better suited to be the "closer to the line of scrimmage" guy with a 4.4's guy behind covering a lot of ground.

GB needs speed on the back-end.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately Amos is a 4.56 forty guy who likes to hit (& brings some bang at 6'-0", 215-220). He's better suited to be the "closer to the line of scrimmage" guy with a 4.4's guy behind covering a lot of ground.

GB needs speed on the back-end.
So let Josh Jones play behind covering? Cant just let just any 4.4 guy play behind. Unsure bout Adderly and the other guys. Juan Thornhill seems more suited for the deep saftey (but i havent seen his film) just based on pure measurements thus far.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The comments about needing a Big slot make me really hope that they take AJ Brown or N'Keal Harry. The former is an easy projection inside, and harry looks like he has the movement skills to do so, as well as making a lot of plays with Rodgers

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I read pretty much the same thing in a mock that had us taking him at 30. Honestly I don't care who it is I would just like to see a safety picked at either 30 or 44.

The advantage to not watching these guys in college and thus not having a personal opinion on them at this point is I can be excited about anyone we draft and let things play out without any preconceived notions. All you college ball aficionados who watch hours and hours of games and tape of theses guys will be either ecstatic or devastated when it comes draft time. Rapp fans will be doing the happy dance if we take him and guys who don't like him will be crying in their beer. then as the season and their career plays out they will be either defending their support of the guy or backtracking on their opposition to him.

The funny thing is when 1 guy likes a player because he is a sure tackler who covers well and another doesn't like him because he can't tackle worth a darn and is always getting beat. Sometimes it can be hard to decide who to believe. The options are to start following college ball and watching film and forming my own opinions or simply waiting and letting it play out. I prefer to do the later. Its less stressful but i do appreciate the opinions.

D

Deleted member 6794

Amos is definitely able to line up at free safety. The Packers need another excelling closer to the LOS.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Amos is definitely able to line up at free safety. The Packers need another excelling closer to the LOS.

I'd say what they ideally need is another safety capable of playing both roles, like Amos. I'm all for giving Pettine the ability to be as varied and multiple in his looks as he wants to be.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While I would like to see the Packers grab at decent Safety, I really would prefer seeing them to continue to build a solid front 7, which in turn will help everyone in the secondary. For that reason I hope they go DL, ILB or OLB with that #12 pick. Oliver is my #1 hope. I think he along with Daniels and Clark could make a huge difference on the overall defense. A great safety is nice, but if you don't have adequate push or disruption by the defensive front, even the best DB isn't going to be able to shine all the time.

No doubt the offense needs some help as well, but I just don't see a HUGE play maker at #12, that you couldn't find with a similar player at #30.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd say what they ideally need is another safety capable of playing both roles, like Amos. I'm all for giving Pettine the ability to be as varied and multiple in his looks as he wants to be.

Agreed, although in the draft it might be easier to find a safety capable of having an immediate impact in the box.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The options are to start following college ball and watching film and forming my own opinions or simply waiting and letting it play out. I prefer to do the later. Its less stressful but i do appreciate the opinions.

I'm definitely not a college football guy and I feel you!! At first you just quietly talk to yourself.. I've been following this site for a while before creating an account and when you have people saying Randy Gregory is going to be a future pro bowler or saying Donta Foreman is a "powerful" rb when he falls on first contact even at 240+lbs... You're just like ... ehhhhh..... lol. Highlight tapes are fun with the mumble rap music in the background and guys love using it as the real deal but taking on the tape in its entirety shows the true player.

I also just love seeing how the prospects do two - three years later. . Sorta like a longitudinal analysis lol. I think I had this conversation with Pokerbrat. I know I'm a poor QB and OL armchair scout lol but I'm happy to say I was pretty accurate on the majority of LB and RBs (playing the positions myself).

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Agreed Packfan2

While I like watching highlight reels (with no audio) of prospects, its strictly for entertainment, knowing that I am only seeing the positives. I prefer finding game film of said prospect where his play is shown on every down during a game against a formidable opponent. You can learn so much more about a player this way. But still usually a crap shoot as to how his talent will translate to the NFL.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed Packfan2

While I like watching highlight reels (with no audio) of prospects, its strictly for entertainment, knowing that I am only seeing the positives. I prefer finding game film of said prospect where his play is shown on every down during a game against a formidable opponent. You can learn so much more about a player this way. But still usually a crap shoot as to how his talent will translate to the NFL.
One thing I love watching the silent game tape is that you try to zoom in on one player- for example, I was watching tape on Rodney Anderson and Dru Samia - Baker Mayfield was on it and I'm like woah.. How did I miss some of these throws from last year.. and then forgetting that 2018 season with Kyler Murray as QB.. watching some from this season. Im like the heck happen to Baker? He didnt read his first option and just ran when pocket collapse thats unusual of Baker.. and Then I look closely and i'm like oh... its Murray lol..

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Agreed, although in the draft it might be easier to find a safety capable of having an immediate impact in the box.

Seems like there is a good mix to me.

Abram, Rapp, and Gant are, in my opinion, guys you only want in a traditional SS role.

Thompson and Tell are the only guys who I look at and think they had better spend almost all of their time in a FS role.

Adderley, Thornhill, Savage, and Blair all have skillsets and body types that lean a little more towards roles that we tend to associate with FS, but who could be combo safeties.

Hooker is the opposite to me, in that his skillset leans harder towards SS/Slot responsibilities than FS, but you could ostensibly ask him to do anything.

The one guy I see as a true, ideal combo safety is Chauncey Gardner-Johnson. I think he could play slot corner, free safety, strong safety, and dime linebacker at a high level and would be a stellar fit next to Amos. Mike Edwards of Kentucky is, in my opinion, a poor man's version.

Members online

Latest posts