The 2019 Dantés Draft Thread

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I watched Josh Allen, EDGE, Kentucky (TAMU, Vandy, MSU, and FLA) and have some thoughts.

Pros:
  • His first step is a blue chip trait. Combined with his length, he can eat up a lot of field in a hurry.
  • He has a lot of experience dropping, is comfortable moving away from the LOS, and is capable of making plays in coverage.
  • He's capable of doing his job in the run game-- locking out his arms and setting the edge.
  • He's a high motor player, pursuing from the back side and getting involved in the majority of plays.
  • He's a secure tackler.
Cons:
  • He lacks identity as a pass rusher-- he's not a plus edge bender, he isn't a power rusher, and he doesn't have advanced technique as a hand fighter.
  • He typically has no apparent plan if his initial rush fails-- no effective counter move. At times you see him attempt to cut back inside or even execute a spin, but I haven't really seen it work.
Bottom Line: I see enough traits that I understand the first round grades, but he seems pretty scheme dependent to me. I worry that a team that puts him at DE or in a traditional edge rushing role will be disappointed. I don't see the pure pass rush skill or ability to be great in that role. However, in a Mike Pettine defense I can totally envision him being an impact player in the role of a blitz/drop linebacker. Pettine's defense thrives on creating confusion for the QB and scheming free rushers without actually sending extra blitzers (extra, meaning more than 4). Allen's ability to drop comfortably into coverage combined with his explosive first step and length would make him a great fit for that type of role. I would endorse him as a pick for the Packers in round one for the time being, but if Pettine is replaced I'm not so sure.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you think we should've taken Derwin James rather than trade down? He's pretty dyamic.
YES!!!! james is a cornerstone of a defense....and will be in the pro bowl for many years to come. Gute missed him big time, Alexander is fine..but josh jackson is simply terrible. Gute missed on Burks also terrible...and to top it off Gute missed on Graham too. everyone loves Gute due to how bad TT was ...not me..he missed quite a bit is first year.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It's pretty obvious we need some more playmakers on the outside and a slot receiver to replace Cobb. Other then Devante we have a bunch 3's and 4's. With the removal of a lot of dead weight I think we can handle safety and edge in free agency and target guys like Dee Ford and Earl Thomas and resign Wilkerson.

The two guys I believe we should target in draft are Parris Campbell and N'keal Harry. They would immediately upgrade our talent for playmakers on the outside and we could then target OL and TE

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It's pretty obvious we need some more playmakers on the outside and a slot receiver to replace Cobb. Other then Devante we have a bunch 3's and 4's. With the removal of a lot of dead weight I think we can handle safety and edge in free agency and target guys like Dee Ford and Earl Thomas and resign Wilkerson.

The two guys I believe we should target in draft are Parris Campbell and N'keal Harry. They would immediately upgrade our talent for playmakers on the outside and we could then target OL and TE

They absolutely need to replace Cobb with an effective YAC weapon. Ideally, it would be a veteran as they already have a ton of youth at WR. But the bold is premature-- we have no idea what most of our young guys are at this point.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
They absolutely need to replace Cobb with an effective YAC weapon. Ideally, it would be a veteran as they already have a ton of youth at WR. But the bold is premature-- we have no idea what most of our young guys are at this point.

We can't afford another round of wasted top picks on defense. We need to build an offense that can score 30 points a game and do it now. That's the mark if we want to get back to the playoffs.

We don't have a QB on a rookie contract so were just wasting time investing everything on this defense which will never be elite. When you add $ allocation and normal projected injuries it's not happening.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The young guys are still what we thought earlier. Could be, might be, have looked good at times, but there's been a whole lotta nothing in between. MVS started better than he's finished. EQ didn't have many opportunities early, but he's shown some stuff here recently. But in the end, none of them are giving me a lot think they're going to make some sort of jump this offseason.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The young guys are still what we thought earlier. Could be, might be, have looked good at times, but there's been a whole lotta nothing in between. MVS started better than he's finished. EQ didn't have many opportunities early, but he's shown some stuff here recently. But in the end, none of them are giving me a lot think they're going to make some sort of jump this offseason.

People forget Adam's made some huge plays his rookie year before having an injury riddled second year where he struggled with some drops. But his rookie year you could see the potential. I wouldn't put any of our rookies at that stage yet.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
We can't afford another round of wasted top picks on defense. We need to build an offense that can score 30 points a game and do it now. That's the mark if we want to get back to the playoffs.

We don't have a QB on a rookie contract so were just wasting time investing everything on this defense which will never be elite. When you add $ allocation and normal projected injuries it's not happening.

You can save your fingers. I remember your agenda from last year. No one was allowed to suggest a defensive prospect without you going off on them. It's pretty tired.

BTW, Jaire Alexander has done WAY more to make the Packers better than Courtland Sutton would have ever thought of doing. And for the record, I wasn't defense only. I was pretty high on Calvin Ridley. He's been quite a bit better than Sutton too!

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
You can save your fingers. I remember your agenda from last year. No one was allowed to suggest a defensive prospect without you going off on them. It's pretty tired.

BTW, Jaire Alexander has done WAY more to make the Packers better than Courtland Sutton would have ever thought of doing. And for the record, I wasn't defense only. I was pretty high on Calvin Ridley. He's been quite a bit better than Sutton too!

You can't do that because we dont know how those players would play universally in the other teams schemes and fit in with there personnel. Too many mitigating factors.

I like the Alexander pick but the other 10 high picks or so spent on defense has produced jack **** overall as far as our defense while rapping the offense of neccessary attention.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You can't do that because we dont know how those players would play universally in the other teams schemes and fit in with there personnel. Too many mitigating factors.

I like the Alexander pick but the other 10 high picks or so spent on defense has produced jack **** overall as far as our defense while rapping the offense of neccessary attention.

Lol. I'll remember that the next time you have an opinion about someone on another team!

Pigeon holing your draft strategy into one side of the ball is incredibly stupid. It was stupid last year and it's stupid this year. The Packers should take the best value at a position of need. That could easily be either side of the ball.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Lol. I'll remember that the next time you have an opinion about someone on another team!

Pigeon holing your draft strategy into one side of the ball is incredibly stupid. It was stupid last year and it's stupid this year. The Packers should take the best value at a position of need. That could easily be either side of the ball.

Some people will never get it. That ship has sailed and thank God it has. If you wanna spend the offseason in "build an elite defense fantasy land" then go right ahead. It's well known nobody is scared of our offense any longer and there is much chatter of reloading the offense with some premium picks.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Some people will never get it. That ship has sailed and thank God it has. If you wanna spend the offseason in "build an elite defense fantasy land" then go right ahead. It's well known nobody is scared of our offense any longer and there is much chatter of reloading the offense with some premium picks.

So "let's draft the best value, offense or defense" means "defense fantasy land"? Who will never get it?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
So "let's draft the best value, offense or defense" means "defense fantasy land"? Who will never get it?

What I posted in another thread. It's now or never to give Rodgers(which the Packers have completely committed too) the best weapons they can. Its are only chance. I understand that doesnt mean you pass up on a Khalil Mack type talent but that hasn't been the case over the last several seasons and I dont see it being the case this upcoming draft.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
What I posted in another thread. It's now or never to give Rodgers(which the Packers have completely committed too) the best weapons they can. Its are only chance. I understand that doesnt mean you pass up on a Khalil Mack type talent but that hasn't been the case over the last several seasons and I dont see it being the case this upcoming draft.

Can I just talk about prospects without getting this whole spiel again?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Can I just talk about prospects without getting this whole spiel again?

You can talk about whoever you want but we really need to bolster this offense which I believe should be the focus and I can make my own thread. I don't care if the Packers do it in free agency or the draft.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You can talk about whoever you want but we really need to bolster this offense which I believe should be the focus and I can make my own thread. I don't care if the Packers do it in free agency or the draft.

I just want to talk about prospects without hearing that "I don't get it."

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts