Thank you, Mike

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes he gets paid for not working any more this year, and all of next if he chooses. The others can be approached, legally, when their teams have played their last game of the season.
yes, and we're weeks away from that happening with any of them unless they're fired in the meantime. So, like I said, a few hours makes very little difference in our search for a new coach

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After your "probably" and "I'm not sure", I was just confirming what you said. If your point was supposed to be that they could have delayed the announcement for a few hours, for whatever reason, with no consequences, I'm agreeing with that, too.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes he gets paid for not working any more this year, and all of next if he chooses.
Well, if that's the case, at $6 million a year, I don't think I would be upset at all. In fact I would probably say thank you and consider it an early Christmas gift :)

If he gets a new head coaching job at Cleveland next year, do we still pay him for next year, or does that cancel it out?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He'd be the first coach with 2 streets named after him then.
Name the street that goes in front of Golden Corral after him :)

Let's honor him with a "Mike McCarthy Day" and bring him back to some game in the near future in Green Bay.
Don't know about that, but he'll be in the Packer Hall of Fame fer sure.
If he visits Green Bay with another team in the next few years, I hope he gets a warm welcome.

H

HardRightEdge

Well, if that's the case, at $6 million a year, I don't think I would be upset at all. In fact I would probably say thank you and consider it an early Christmas gift :)

If he gets a new head coaching job at Cleveland next year, do we still pay him for next year, or does that cancel it out?
If McCarthy's Packer pay is guaranteed by contract for 2019 then he can double dip. I've never heard of a non-compete clause in a coach's contract and even if there was those provisions are often unenforceable.

When that double dip happens some folks get angry for some reason. It's business.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Name the street that goes in front of Golden Corral after him :).

Is body shaming against forum rules? :oops: Besides, what's wrong with a nice caramel fountain from time to time. With a cup of coffee, of course. :coffee:

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly. People act like Payton is a great coach, but ignore the fact that they had several really bad years. I'm not arguing that he's a good coach, but if he's so superior to McCarthy where are all the rings?

THREE straight 7-9 seasons from 2014-2016. It's not just the person you responded to, it's many people forget the Saints looked like a franchise about to go in crumbles going into 2017. It's such a year to year league.

H

HardRightEdge

THREE straight 7-9 seasons from 2014-2016. It's not just the person you responded to, it's many people forget the Saints looked like a franchise about to go in crumbles going into 2017. It's such a year to year league.
Why the resurgence in 2017? NO drafted the offensive and defensive rookies of the year last season. I've noted this fact previously. And while I'm no expert in their roster, I'd bet there's a critical mass of good players under cheap rookie contracts. The key to success is stacking drafts especially if you have an expensive QB.

That's not a defense of McCarthy. It's not just the losing or QB disagreements that's the issue. I could look past losing as a talent issue, and the QB disagreements can come and go as they have in the past. The problem is the way they've been losing, with lack of discipline, sloppy play, penalties, lack of fire.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
3 straight seasons with high draft picks might have something to do with it?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Why the resurgence in 2017? NO drafted the offensive and defensive rookies of the year last season. I've noted this fact previously. And while I'm no expert in their roster, I'd bet there's a critical mass of good players under cheap rookie contracts. The key to success is stacking drafts especially if you have an expensive QB.

That's not a defense of McCarthy. It's not just the losing or QB disagreements that's the issue. I could look past losing as a talent issue, and the QB disagreements can come and go as they have in the past. The problem is the way they've been losing, with lack of discipline, sloppy play, penalties, lack of fire.
Something made me think go look at penalties .

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/penalties-per-game?date=2018-02-05

I only went back to 2015.

Its interesting that NO in that time frame was always worse than GB. but this year, NO has the least amount.

Same coach, but better results.. Why?

All I know is that sometimes you can get thru to some players and sometimes you can't.

But it is interesting to me

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something made me think go look at penalties .

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/penalties-per-game?date=2018-02-05

I only went back to 2015.

Its interesting that NO in that time frame was always worse than GB. but this year, NO has the least amount.

Same coach, but better results.. Why?

All I know is that sometimes you can get thru to some players and sometimes you can't.

But it is interesting to me
There is of course a more sinister explanation.... especially if one entertains some level of conspiracy theory.....:whistling:

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you rather not go to playoffs at all?
What good does making the playoffs do unless a trophy is brought home? There is 1 winner in football and 31 losers. We won 8% of the time with McCarthy. From a businessperson standpoint, that is an utter failure and someone whose team performs at such a low level deserves to be fired.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Just so the landing is as gentle as possible - if he lands a new job that pays less than the six mil, the Pack makes up the rest. The only way the Pack pays him nothing next year is if his new job pays more.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3 offensive stars.. Rb, wr and o lineman.. 3rd round prob isn't high.. But point is when you go below 500 you get better draft picks

I realize that. My shorthand reply was meant just to day that one can lead to the other, but plenty of teams waste the high picks. A poster earlier mentioned much more recent ROY picks, which would have be less desirable on the ladder.

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We won 8% of the time with McCarthy. From a businessperson standpoint, that is an utter failure and someone whose team performs at such a low level deserves to be fired.
So, according to your logic, over 80% of the current NFL coaches should be fired after this season. By my count, only 6 current NFL coaches have won a SuperBowl with their current team....What a logical post...:rolleyes:

That post was a failure. I think you should be fired. ;)

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like seeing anyone lose their job. By all accounts, Mike is a truly stand-up guy and represented the organization in a first-class manner. Nice and decent only get you so far in the real world and the fact is Mike's performance of late has not been up to par. I fully understand injuries play a pretty big role in this teams lack of recent success. It's not only that we are losing but HOW we are losing. Lifeless, ho-hum and going through the motions are the words that come to mind and to me, that is the biggest issue. If we were super competitive and playing with a boatload of fire while losing I think the whole vibe would be different. I can't remember the last time I went into a game feeling really confident and that's a weird feeling as a semi-spoiled Packers fan. I thought we would beat ARI but I wrote on this very site last week how I just knew the game would be MUCH closer than most folks expected. Sure enough, we play a 2-win team and come out flat and lifeless. Playing at home, in frigid weather against an "inferior opponent" with everything hanging in the balance we got THAT performance. You have to be kidding me. I am no psychologist and won't try to get in the minds of the players. With that being said, if someone told me the team wasn't giving it their all I would have a hard time arguing against this point. Who knows, maybe we are just that crappy?

We desperately need a fresh start and we now have it. We are going to have a lot of cap space this upcoming OS and finally have a GM that is going to be aggressive in trying to bring in the best possible talent. I am a believer in Mike P running the D so I hope we go out and find the best possible HBC to help get AR back on track. My guy is Arians but that's just me. There will be a lot going on in the upcoming months. We will either continue this trend of mediocrity or add some key pieces and have another good draft putting us right back in the mix. I personally believe GUTE will do the latter and that gives me some hope in a rather hopeless season...

G P G

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is body shaming against forum rules? :oops: Besides, what's wrong with a nice caramel fountain from time to time. With a cup of coffee, of course. :coffee:

They took the caramel fountain out of the one I frequent. I guess they didn't like me dipping my drinking glass in it.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I'm just going to say that I respect MM. The guy did fantastic things here. Even though he wasn't a native, he GOT it. He embraced the Packer Way and the entire city and region.

He's a guy that will be in the Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame and richly deserves it. He is every bit a native son now.

Murphy and Gutekunst better not bungle this...by like...bringing in a college coach.

Only best wishes to Mc and his family.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm just going to say that I respect MM. The guy did fantastic things here. Even though he wasn't a native, he GOT it. He embraced the Packer Way and the entire city and region.

He's a guy that will be in the Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame and richly deserves it. He is every bit a native son now.

Murphy and Gutekunst better not bungle this...by like...bringing in a college coach.

Only best wishes to Mc and his family.
That's nice. Seriously.

Beagle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem for a coach that comes out after every poor performance and says 'it's on me', is that people will end up believing it. I watch all of the Packers games and I don't believe McCarthy was the problem.
Just saying

Members online