Thank you, Mike

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a lot of MM bashing on this forum now, for fair reason. The team has looked awful the past two years, beyond the point of what is acceptable. We have come out flat repeatedly, made inexcusable errors, and been beaten by teams we have no excuse losing to. I think it was right that MM was fired.

That being said, McCarthy led us to a Super Bowl title, four NFC Championship games, six NFC North titles, and nine playoff appearances in thirteen years. Yes, we all feel like there should have more than one title. But I don't think there is anyone here who, if told of this future success back in 2006, would not have wanted to hire him. The offense has been stale and inefficient for the better part of the last four years, but from 2009-2014 the Packers had one of the more prolific offenses in NFL history. Much of that credit deservedly goes to Rodgers, but there is no doubt in my mind that MM deserves a fair amount of credit as well. And that 2010 Super Bowl run was perhaps the most sublime I have ever witnessed. I think MM will coach in this league again, and I wish him the best success against anyone other than the Packers.

With this broader picture of his tenure in mind, I simply want to say- Thank you Coach McCarthy.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike seems like a nice guy

But I had a feeling he even knew this was coming

Reaction score
I second red4tribe. I’m excited about the change of direction but we need to remember this isn’t a game of Super Mario here. This is a real person with a real family so let’s chill with the personal attacks
Thank You Mike and well said Red4tribe.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a lot of MM bashing on this forum now, for fair reason. The team has looked awful the past two years, beyond the point of what is acceptable. We have come out flat repeatedly, made inexcusable errors, and been beaten by teams we have no excuse losing to. I think it was right that MM was fired.

That being said, McCarthy led us to a Super Bowl title, four NFC Championship games, six NFC North titles, and nine playoff appearances in thirteen years. Yes, we all feel like there should have more than one title. But I don't think there is anyone here who, if told of this future success back in 2006, would not have wanted to hire him. The offense has been stale and inefficient for the better part of the last four years, but from 2009-2014 the Packers had one of the more prolific offenses in NFL history. Much of that credit deservedly goes to Rodgers, but there is no doubt in my mind that MM deserves a fair amount of credit as well. And that 2010 Super Bowl run was perhaps the most sublime I have ever witnessed. I think MM will coach in this league again, and I wish him the best success against anyone other than the Packers.

With this broader picture of his tenure in mind, I simply want to say- Thank you Coach McCarthy.
In my book those playoffs are meaningless unless you have the championship wins to back them up.
I just don't see any bragging rights with this coach.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've always liked McCarthy and would also like to thank him for his time here, and wish him the best for the future.
I believe he deserves another chance coaching in the NFL if he wants. I'd love to see what he could do in Cleveland.

The thing that always sticks in my head about McCarthy is that I remember when he was hired he supposedly impressed with his views on wanting to install a zone blocking scheme.

Last edited:

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've always like McCarthy as a person. He seems like a real nice hard working guy

But let's be honest here... I mean he had two, TWO Hall of Fame QBs in his tenure with Green Bay.

He's just not a very good coach to be honest with you

I was always suprised they picked him over Sean Payton

I know he wasn't well known back then but I always felt MM just wasn't that good

The other guys were Defensive guys if i remember

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dumb question: Packers win out and somehow get to the postseason. They then go on to win the SB. Does MM get a ring? Would he even want a ring under those circumstances?

Regardless, thanks for the SB win. You seem like a decent guy.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my book those playoffs are meaningless unless you have the championship wins to back them up.
Unless you have something to do with the accomplishment.... your book matters to .... umm, i guess only you.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless you have something to do with the accomplishment.... your book matters to .... umm, i guess only you.
I guess when your team gets only so close to sniffing the SB turf you take what you can get to brag.
To each our own on that.

Far as I know, the only place where third place means anything is the Olympics.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've always liked McCarthy and would also like to thank him for his time here, and wish him the best for the future.
I believe he deserves another chance coaching in the NFL if he wants. I'd love to see what he could do in Cleveland.

The thing that always sticks in my head about McCarthy is that I remember when he was hired he supposedly impressed with his views on wanting to install a zone blocking scheme.
Can you picture him checking out the R-N-R Hall of Fame?
I can't.
He seems more like the C/W music fan to me.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you rather not go to playoffs at all?
Huh?
Where are you getting that from?
Just sayin I'm sick and tired of seeing this team getting only so far since 2011.

If we get to the SB with Rodgers again, would you think they kept McCarthy on too long?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Huh?
Where are you getting that from?
Just sayin I'm sick and tired of seeing this team getting only so far since 2011.

If we get to the SB with Rodgers again, would you think they kept McCarthy on too long?
Your post didn't come off that way..

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you want to thank MM for his efforts you'll need another avenue. I doubt he reads this forum.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
He’s accomplished much more than most NFL coaches. I’m pretty sure all the guys that cycled through Minnesota, Chicago and Detroit would echo that sentiment. Best of luck to you Mike McCarthy in your future endeavors. Thank you for creating a future HOF quarterback that helped create many fond memories.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you want to thank MM for his efforts you'll need another avenue. I doubt he reads this forum.
I've been working on organizing a caravan to go up to GB to find and thank him personally.
So far everyone keeps asking if they can bring raw eggs.
I had no idea that many folks were into eating them.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I knew MM’s tenure with the Packers was over. I think rightfully so. Though, I do feel some sadness today. I also have to accept the fact that this may not change anything. The Packers could be an under 500 team for years to come. More excited for the draft than anything, there is so much “hope” surrounding the draft. Do they go after a top 10 pass rusher or wide receiver is the main question.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
It's what people do. Like send flowers to the Queen for her birthday or put displays up on the side of the highway for memorializing the death of a loved one. Join the 21st century social response circuit.

Personally I think MM overstayed his effectiveness. I'd like to thank him for beginning anew the winning tradition post Sherman fiasco. I think he is still a good coach, just not here. His effectiveness and legacy were sabotaged by a dementia afflicted GM, an injury bug the team could never overcome, and his loyalty to assistants and formerly effective players. If he had left after any of the previous 4 seasons, I would have felt about the same.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was always suprised they picked him over Sean Payton
I remember a lot of people saying the Packers should have hired Sean Payton instead of McCarthy.
Thing is, the Saints under him have missed the playoffs several years also. Now he's back in a big way.

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can see the last two SuperBowls for the Packers mean nothing to you, Mr. "Forget Favre." :rolleyes:

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember a lot of people saying the Packers should have hired Sean Payton instead of McCarthy.
Thing is, the Saints under him have missed the playoffs several years also. Now he's back in a big way.
Exactly. People act like Payton is a great coach, but ignore the fact that they had several really bad years. I'm not arguing that he's a good coach, but if he's so superior to McCarthy where are all the rings?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly. People act like Payton is a great coach, but ignore the fact that they had several really bad years. I'm not arguing that he's a good coach, but if he's so superior to McCarthy where are all the rings?
There are a lot of similarities between Payton and McCarthy and the way their teams have performed.
The other side of the coin is if Payton's team suffered a few down years and now is contending for a top seed, who's to say McCarthy couldn't do the same with the Packers?
I'm not saying it was a mistake to move on from McCarthy, but I sure hope it isn't.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts