Thank you, Mike

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way we fired him was just plain bad. He needed to go, but we could have shown a bit more class.

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way we fired him was just plain bad. He needed to go, but we could have shown a bit more class.
What was the point of firing him now as opposed to after the season? To promote the offensive coordinator of a struggling offense to interim head coach?...makes sense.:rolleyes:

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That was my initial thought too.. But I think them actually doing it now is whats best for the team and McCarthy. He is now able to actually enjoy the holidays with his family. Also, he doesn't have to go out there week after week and make himself sound silly and having to answer questions about his job security.

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was my initial thought too.. But I think them actually doing it now is whats best for the team and McCarthy. He is now able to actually enjoy the holidays with his family. Also, he doesn't have to go out there week after week and make himself sound silly and having to answer questions about his job security.
True. I didn't think about this part of it. Good point.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

They could have fired him today. Called him to office and made it a polite event. Immediately after the game was pretty much unexpected and looks like a "Don't let the door hit you on way out" kinda move...which is not really classy or warranted.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Check out the 2010 season. We won the Superbowl.

One thing I have to give MM, he has always a been a class act, even when some fans are ignorant azzhats.
I dunno if you are calling me an "azzhat."
But a hat on a rear end?
That is something I would like to see!

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can see the last two SuperBowls for the Packers mean nothing to you, Mr. "Forget Favre." :rolleyes:
Huh?
The previous SB had the combo of Rodgers and Mc which they won which is great.
The one before that had Favre which they lost.
Do SB losses really mean anything to any fan of a team who came in 2nd place?
Seems to me we pretty much just let that one slide under the rug.

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Huh?
The previous SB had the combo of Rodgers and Mc which they won which is great.
The one before that had Favre which they lost.
Do SB losses really mean anything to any fan of a team who came in 2nd place?
Seems to me we pretty much just let that one slide under the rug.
Wow, obviously I meant Super Bowl wins....one with Favre, who you want to "forget" yet make him your username, and the second with McCarthy, who you apparently hate.

Show some respect for those who have won titles. You come across as spoiled and childish.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They could have fired him today. Called him to office and made it a polite event. Immediately after the game was pretty much unexpected and looks like a "Don't let the door hit you on way out" kinda move...which is not really classy or warranted.
It could have been worse.
They could have just ghosted him by sending him bogus text messages.
Like, "Practice has been moved to 6 pm." He shows up no one is there.
Or
"The Atlanta game has been rescheduled to 4 pm CST." etc.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, obviously I meant Super Bowl wins....one with Favre, who you want to "forget" yet make him your username, and the second with McCarthy, who you apparently hate.

Show some respect for those who have won titles. You come across as spoiled and childish.
It's easy to feel that way when the team has only something almost-but-not-quite-something to show for it.

Hey, you can feel all the pride you want to but the fans of the teams that won the SB in the years we lost those playoff games have more bragging rights then we do.
I mean, I only see around here, "13 times 'World' Champions!"
I don't see, "34 'World' Champion playoff winners!"

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's easy to feel that way when the team has only something almost-but-not-quite-something to show for it.

Hey, you can feel all the pride you want to but the fans of the teams that won the SB in the years we lost those playoff games have more bragging rights then we do.
I mean, I only see around here, "13 times 'World' Champions!"
I don't see, "34 'World' Champion playoff winners!"
So because they didn't win as many SuperBowls as you would have liked, you bash those who did help them win SuperBowls. Got it - makes sense!

It reminds me of Harry Potter when Dudley throws a tantrum because of the number of birthday gifts...:roflmao:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So because they didn't win as many SuperBowls as you would have liked, you bash those who did help them win SuperBowls. Got it - makes sense!

It reminds me of Harry Potter when Dudley throws a tantrum because of the number of birthday gifts...:roflmao:
I'm not bashing anybody.
Except this pinata which coincidentally looks like McCarthy.
Or is it supposed to be a donkey?
I really can't tell. My Spanish is a bit rusty.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please post the post-SB records for all the rest that were fired after the season so we can compare apples to apples.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One one of the WI sport talk shows, a former player (or Wayne Larrivee, I can't remember) offered the possibility that Murphy said to McCarthy that it's either happening at 6pm or midnight - and let him choose. Who knows if that's true, but it does show that all of these shots of not being classy may be way off the mark.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One one of the WI sport talk shows, a former player (or Wayne Larrivee, I can't remember) offered the possibility that Murphy said to McCarthy that it's either happening at 6pm or midnight - and let him choose. Who knows if that's true, but it does show that all of these shots of not being classy may be way off the mark.
it is possible, there may be more to the story. I'm just going off what Glazer reported right after it broke that McCarthy did not know he was being fired after the game.

Now they certainly could have said, want us to release it now or in the morning and he said now. I still would have waited until morning, but informed him that day. I know Mike can keep things under wraps, and I know I can. it's how they've operated for over a decade. Go home, tell you wife, kids, family. Have some time to think, reflect etc because the press is going to come calling once we announce it. That's just what I would have done.

Regardless of their personal conversations, it still comes across as, " don't let the door hit ya, where the good Lord split yeah, get out" at least to me.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it had been me in MMs place I would have wanted to know as soon as the decision had been made and once I knew I wouldn't have cared when they announced it. If they had decided right after the game and told me but waited to announce it so it wouldn't make them look like classless jerks I would have thought that made them look like classless jerks. What I mean is you tell me right after the game but not anyone else just to make yourselves look better. That sure as heck doesn't make me feel any better.

If they would have told me then asked do you want us to wait until tomorrow to announce it I would have said whats the point go ahead and announce it.

If waiting an extra day would have been better why not take it a step further and tell him "Well Mike. We have decided to fire you but we are going to give you the opportunity step down before we announce it as a show of respect" How would that have looked? I'll tell you how that would have looked. Like a sham. Everyone would have known the real situation just like everyone would have figured out that the decision to fire him was made soon after the game ended (maybe even before) and waiting was just a formality to make yourselves not look so much like jerks.

I'm guessing it went down something like this. They decided they were going to fire him. They told him. They announced it. Everyone is acting like he found out he had been fired while watching the red zone channel like I did.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it is possible, there may be more to the story. I'm just going off what Glazer reported right after it broke that McCarthy did not know he was being fired after the game.

Now they certainly could have said, want us to release it now or in the morning and he said now. I still would have waited until morning, but informed him that day. I know Mike can keep things under wraps, and I know I can. it's how they've operated for over a decade. Go home, tell you wife, kids, family. Have some time to think, reflect etc because the press is going to come calling once we announce it. That's just what I would have done.

Regardless of their personal conversations, it still comes across as, " don't let the door hit ya, where the good Lord split yeah, get out" at least to me.
Radio guys said his parking spot was vacant 1 hr after the game. They said timeline is generally

00 game ends - cool down
15 presser MM and AR
45 Lockerroom interviews
75 end interviews

They said they were ushered out of the lockerroom after just a few mins. Said MM was in the locker room they figured he got fired right after the presser and he wanted a few mins to address the team.

I heard from both view points whether it was a classy move or not. MM may (as I would have wanted) to know as soon as the decision was made. Dont leave me guessing. But I agree with Mondio, I would want to be able to tell friends and family before it hits the twitterverse. But I suppose, if you address the team, it's going to be out there anyway. Somebody is tweeting it.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are a lot of similarities between Payton and McCarthy and the way their teams have performed.
The other side of the coin is if Payton's team suffered a few down years and now is contending for a top seed, who's to say McCarthy couldn't do the same with the Packers?
I'm not saying it was a mistake to move on from McCarthy, but I sure hope it isn't.

Not sure Payton's offense ever stagnated like McCarthy's. The Saints problems in previous years was definitely their defense.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it had been me in MMs place I would have wanted to know as soon as the decision had been made and once I knew I wouldn't have cared when they announced it. If they had decided right after the game and told me but waited to announce it so it wouldn't make them look like classless jerks I would have thought that made them look like classless jerks. What I mean is you tell me right after the game but not anyone else just to make yourselves look better. That sure as heck doesn't make me feel any better.

If they would have told me then asked do you want us to wait until tomorrow to announce it I would have said whats the point go ahead and announce it.

If waiting an extra day would have been better why not take it a step further and tell him "Well Mike. We have decided to fire you but we are going to give you the opportunity step down before we announce it as a show of respect" How would that have looked? I'll tell you how that would have looked. Like a sham. Everyone would have known the real situation just like everyone would have figured out that the decision to fire him was made soon after the game ended (maybe even before) and waiting was just a formality to make yourselves not look so much like jerks.

I'm guessing it went down something like this. They decided they were going to fire him. They told him. They announced it. Everyone is acting like he found out he had been fired while watching the red zone channel like I did.
It's not just about how the Packers look. it's about giving Mike time to digest and reflect before being faced with the reality and the media requests. it's about time for him to let those closest to him know. it's 1 night, and not too much to ask.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are coaches contracts guaranteed? Meaning, does this mean McCarthy lost pay for the last four games?
Otherwise, maybe it's better to get it over with quick, like ripping off a bandaid.
People say it shows disrespect to McCarthy, but I'm not sure it's intended that way.

I do like that it gives us a leg up on looking for a replacement. Sort of puts us in first place in the coaching hunt.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he probably gets paid next year too by the packers unless he signs a new bigger contract somewhere else. It's not about that. and i'm not sure a few hours gives us a leg up on anything in terms of the next coach as the majority are locked into contracts right now that prevent us from even talking to them.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he probably gets paid next year too by the packers unless he signs a new bigger contract somewhere else. It's not about that. and i'm not sure a few hours gives us a leg up on anything in terms of the next coach as the majority are locked into contracts right now that prevent us from even talking to them.

Yes he gets paid for not working any more this year, and all of next if he chooses. The others can be approached, legally, when their teams have played their last game of the season.

Members online