"Ted Thompson WILL get it done in Green Bay" says Holmgren

Reaction score
brett, bellmawr, nj: hey larry, im so sick of people blaming the teams bad play on thompson...how do you feel concering his GMing abilities?

LM: I think time will show that he's a good judge of talent. I did an interview with Mike Holmgren before the Seattle game and asked him how big of a role TT played in the Seahawks rise to Super Bowl Contender. He said very important, that TT ran his draft - and he wound up his statement saying Ted Thompson will get it done in Green Bay. Fairly emphatic stuff.

For Holmgren to say that is a bit surprising.

I am on the fence with Thompson, I like SOME of his moves and they are positive, think SOME of his moves have been terrible and he has dropped the ball, and finally other moves I just can't judge yet.

The issue, as I see it, is can Holmgren's words be taken at face value, that he is being honest or is Holmgren being biased and helping out a 'friend' in Ted so to speak?

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Holmgren and ROTTT(Reign of Ted Thompson Terror) are friends. Mike brought him to Seattle. That move would look foolish if he said, "well...I don't know".

Holmgren is the real deal, no doubt. But it remains to be seen if ROTTT can transform from a "personnel guy" to a GM. Reggie McKenzie is a pretty good personnel guy, but Houston didn't think he would be the best GM.

Next year is Ted's third at the helm. By then, you will see if his judgement is sound or not(I've made a decision, but I'm willing to admit I agree with some of the moves he's made).

I'm also beginning to believe that a guy I thought highly of in the past...Bob Harlan...is past his time.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Re: "Ted Thompson WILL get it done in Green Bay" says Holmgr

Mike Holmgren and ROTTT(Reign of Ted Thompson Terror) are friends. Mike brought him to Seattle. That move would look foolish if he said, "well...I don't know".

Holmgren is the real deal, no doubt. But it remains to be seen if ROTTT can transform from a "personnel guy" to a GM. Reggie McKenzie is a pretty good personnel guy, but Houston didn't think he would be the best GM.

Next year is Ted's third at the helm. By then, you will see if his judgement is sound or not(I've made a decision, but I'm willing to admit I agree with some of the moves he's made).

I'm also beginning to believe that a guy I thought highly of in the past...Bob Harlan...is past his time.

Must be tough seeing a glass of water half empty all the time.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow - so holmgren's just protecting his own *** by saying TT will get it done in GB?!? yeah, that makes complete sense - sheesh!!

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well we all know thompson could get it done in green bay ... cause this guy is not thinking about the present his thinking about the future ... but i dont know if mccarthy is going to be in the future...

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Well we all know thompson could get it done in green bay ... cause this guy is not thinking about the present his thinking about the future ... but i dont know if mccarthy is going to be in the future...

I agree with this statement.

Ted is about solidifying the team in the future isntead of breaking the bank for a chance immediately. And I'm no longer sold on McCarthy being the right guy. He says the right things, just doesn't follow through.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I recall Holmgrem is a pretty straight forward type of guy. I also think if he didn't really mean it he wouldn't of added the last sentence (according to this) saying he'll get the job done.

None the less I think next year this team has to show improvement otherwise I think a change is needed. That's just my opinion though.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
we have a jsonline article from VP in seattle saying it was TT who wanted lot fo the draft picks and had the power..
then people said it was a lie and Holmgren was in charge and he was the one that did all the drafting..

now we have Holmgren saying Ted was in charge but people still are not going to believe it.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
who was the poster a while ago that said he emailed Seattle and asked this question and claimed they emailed back and said Mike did all the drafting??

wonder which is true?

Holmgren saying Ted had the power, or an email cooming from some un known person saying Mike did it all..

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps it was linkd to Holmgren's position - when he was GM he did the drafting and then when he lost the position TT took over.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps it was linkd to Holmgren's position - when he was GM he did the drafting and then when he lost the position TT took over.

"how big of a role TT played in the Seahawks rise to Super Bowl Contender. He said very important, that TT ran his draft "

that should answer your question???

And to answer AADP question...

I think porky said it best,

"If I recall Holmgrem is a pretty straight forward type of guy. I also think if he didn't really mean it he wouldn't of added the last sentence (according to this) saying he'll get the job done."

And zero brought up MM..Which might be true, he may not be the coach the packers need RIGHT now...but it is who we have..

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since you're in such a voluble mood LT lol, any thoughts on net's view of TT- great personnel man, not so great GM?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Since you're in such a voluble mood LT lol, any thoughts on net's view of TT- great personnel man, not so great GM?

This very well could be true....I think a majority of people believe he can draft well..

but when making FA choices he seems not to be as good..Even tho I dont like to use last year as a judge since he had little to work with he still pulled out some real stinkers..This year was a little better..

However with that said, I really would LOVE to know if he and Andrew Brandt crunch numbers together..

I have seen many quotes that Andrew is the one finalizing contracts players get, and sits in with the agents to get a deal done..

Does Ted or has he said..I am bringing in so and so player, Andrew you get him signed no matter what...

Or can Andrew tell Ted no possible way we can sign the player.

I think even tho Ted is the BOSS, and can say and do what he wants, I think he tries to listen to Andrew and others.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

all about da packers said:
"voluable".... :shock:

I want to throttle the person who came up with the idea of using huge words to describe simple things. *shakes fist*

It's a shame you forgot the agenda in a thread you created. I'll remind you.
brett, bellmawr, nj: hey larry, im so sick of people blaming the teams bad play on thompson...how do you feel concering his GMing abilities?

LM: I think time will show that he's a good judge of talent. I did an interview with Mike Holmgren before the Seattle game and asked him how big of a role TT played in the Seahawks rise to Super Bowl Contender. He said very important, that TT ran his draft - and he wound up his statement saying Ted Thompson will get it done in Green Bay. Fairly emphatic stuff.

For Holmgren to say that is a bit surprising.

I am on the fence with Thompson, I like SOME of his moves and they are positive, think SOME of his moves have been terrible and he has dropped the ball, and finally other moves I just can't judge yet.

The issue, as I see it, is can Holmgren's words be taken at face value, that he is being honest or is Holmgren being biased and helping out a 'friend' in Ted so to speak?

MUWHAHAHAH :p

longtimefan said:
Does Ted or has he said..I am bringing in so and so player, Andrew you get him signed no matter what...
I heard Andrew Brandt on THE FAN say there is always a way to sign any player, it just depends on what you are willing to cost the team and the teams future. (ie, cut favre to sign bubba gump to make cap room)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

longtimefan said:
I heard Andrew Brandt on THE FAN say there is always a way to sign any player, it just depends on what you are willing to cost the team and the teams future. (ie, cut favre to sign bubba gump to make cap room)

I recall that being talked about..the Wahle thing he mentioned on the radio...

Did Ted want him to stay but after the powers that be got together they decided the money to get him to stay wasnt worth it?

or did Ted flat out say NO and got the others to fall in line?

Thats what I am refering to...

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Zero2Cool said:
longtimefan said:

Did Ted want him to stay but after the powers that be got together they decided the money to get him to stay wasnt worth it?

Yea I was the slappy one who posted it basically saying I was a ****** about the whole and had to admit I was wrong :(

If I remember right Andrew said they felt they would be better served getting new players and the cost was too high for them. He also said it was a mistake letting Wahle go an was happy for Rivera on his contract.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup I remember being wrong about the whole thing too...

Still doesnt answer my question tho..

"shakes fist"

LOL

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"voluable".... :shock:

I want to throttle the person who came up with the idea of using huge words to describe simple things. *shakes fist*

"voluble"

Main Entry: vol·u·ble
Pronunciation: 'väl-y&-b&l
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin volubilis, from volvere to roll; akin to Old English wealwian to roll, Greek eilyein to roll, wrap
1 : easily rolling or turning : ROTATING
2 : characterized by ready or rapid speech : GLIB, FLUENT
synonym see TALKATIVE

Even merriam webster couldnt come up with a more succint definition. :rotflmao:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Yup I remember being wrong about the whole thing too...

Still doesnt answer my question tho..

"shakes fist"

LOL

They wanted him, the whole thing was they thought they could survive without him and have extra cash. Atleast thats what i got from what he was saying.

:)

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Franks had a role to play. They wanted to keep him and therefore used the transition tag which then meant that they needed the space to be able to match any offer he got. That space would have been otherwise used to re-sign Wahle.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Franks had a role to play. They wanted to keep him and therefore used the transition tag which then meant that they needed the space to be able to match any offer he got. That space would have been otherwise used to re-sign Wahle.

:confused:

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have said this before, but I think we'll know more at this time next year whether Ted Thompson is qualified. In the first place, he has to bring in a higher level of talent than he has for the position he has drafted in. Second, he has to also prove that he can evaluate coaching. Bringing in Schottenheimer hasn't been very wise, nor has bringing in Sanders as a defensive coordinator. I'm also not convinced anymore that McCarthy is the man either. I'll give Thompson one more year and then we had better see some signs that this team is on the right track.

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

dxbfan said:

:confused:

Choice between either re-signing Wahle and using a transition tag on Franks but being unable (due to salary cap limitations) to match any offer he received. Which really would translate into choosing Wahle over Franks. Or creating space by letting Wahle and others go, using the transition on Franks. If he got a better offer that was considered worth matching, you'd now have the space to do so or alternatively if he got no offers, it would help the team''s stance in negotiating a long term contract.

From what I remember hearing on the radio some time ago, Brandt presented the choices to TT and TT then made the decision.

Members online

Latest posts