Tearing it Down

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Lol this pretty much

I really just don't understand not trading for a Claypool, Jeudy or Hockenson -- provided these guys were available

I mean, AR is going to retire eventually so you might as well put some young, PROVEN talent around him. If it works out, you extend them.
They gave same as bears. Pitts took the bears

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
To be honest, I don't even think that thought is hindsight 20/20. Everyone I know *****ed about it at the very moment that pick was made and also everyone I know was longing for a WR at that spot. When they traded up in that draft, I thought for sure they had a WR that slipped to that spot that they loved. Gute just got too cute there trying to make his stamp on the club with HIS future HOF QB pick. Colossal failure.
This is so old .He tried trading up to grab Jefferson.

But let’s pretend he wanted to be Ted Jr
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without exception, neatly all the starters on the Packers defense have played great for significant stretches. What's frustrating is that they can't put it all together to form a great defense. Is it coaching? I think it is since most of the players have shown the ability to stand out. For the offense, it's more of a lack of talent than coaching.
For once, you have a post that proves you have a working brain. Well done

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is so old .He tried trading up to grab Jefferson.

But let’s pretend he wanted to be Ted Jr
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Yeah it was well known they wanted Jefferson. If only .... lol

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or if Rodgers still wants to play.
We rework some contracts and kick the can down the road then get a solid WR1 in FA in the off-season and at least 1 or 2 O-lineman that are upgrades if available, upgrade Safeties through draft or FA Fire Barry and go in to 2023 with high expectations once agein.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For once, you have a post that proves you have a working brain. Well done
my working brain jolts the Homer's with doses of reality. Sobriety is the hallmark of a working brain. Many on this site love to pretend the Packers are always much more formidable than they prove to be. I predicted the loss to the Jets, Bingo, and posted in the off season the offense would struggle mightily. Bingo again. I think you'll see most of my prognostications have been quite accurate because I don't put on the rose colored glasses.

D

Deleted member 6794

Trade/Retire:

-Aaron Rodgers:
Hopefully one of the by-products of a teardown is that Rodgers would just retire. It would result in crippling cap implications, most notably in 2023, but the idea would be to take your medicine and move on. If he doesn't want to be done, trade him.

I don't believe Rodgers wants to play for another team. While he doesn't have a no trade clause I'm convinced no team would trade for him if he is adamant about not playing for them. With that being said the Packers might be stuck with him if he decides to continue his career.

Make no mistake, the Packers have the cap nightmare to keep them I last place for the next 3-6 seasons.

It's entirely possible for the Packers (or any other team in the league) to fix cap issues in a single season.

Clark, Jones, Jaire and Gary should be retained at least till end of their contract or till end of 2023/24 at a minimum.

The Packers won't keep Jones with him counting $20 million towards the cap next season. It would be especially foolish with them being in a rebuild mode.

A team that acquired Jones would only have to pay his 8.1M base salary and could move on any time.

The top of the RB market is 12-16 AAV.

Why would his deal be untradeable?

Jones also has a $7 million roster bonus due in mid March, a $500K workout bonus as well as a $400K per game roster bonus included in his current contract for next year. That means a team acquiring him would take a cap hit of $16 million for the 2023 season.

Specifically on the Rodgers’ front, that’s the catch 22. If you pay an elite QB, it’s hard to also pay supporting cast members.

The Chiefs disagree with that statement.

In Gute's time he has used 7 draft picks over 5 drafts on WRs. He has brought in Randall Cobb, Sammy Watkins...more may be escaping me now but believe that is man trades or FA signings.

There's absolutely no doubt Gutekunst hasn't invested enough draft capital into the wide receiver position. While he selected several players at the position only Amari Rodgers was a day two pick in the bottom half of the third round. In addition the veteran receivers he brought in haven't worked out as planned, mostly because they haven't been able to stay healthy.

Otherwise though, for whatever reason none of his other draft picks from 2018-2021 have had or did have it click for them at least here in Green Bay.

Well, there's a high probability of that happening by only using day three picks on the position.

The Patriots oddly enough went the exact same route (lack of O draft capital) But what our staff failed to recognize in their attempt to mirror that franchise, is that NE hammered down on FA at WR with more than a few big names as weapons for Tom. Sammy Watkins looks like dirty Pea soup compared to their acquisitions (Sorry Sammy!)

The Patriots surrounded Brady with elite defenses for nearly all of his tenure. The Packers failed miserably at doing that despite investing much more draft picks on that side of the ball.

I would also trade Jaire since our current DC is quite literally burning the money the Packers spent on him with his defensive scheme. Could get quite a bit for him in trade.

The Packers would take an additional $4 million in cap hit by trading Alexander over keeping him for next season. Not gonna happen.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am fully on board with watching the rest of this season play out. Maybe the Packers somehow rebound. However, I think the smart money would bet they don't. If that proves true, you've got a super expensive roster that clearly can't win a Super Bowl, which means it's time to tear down and start over. Here's what I hope would happen or what I think would be smart, with a goal in mind of being competitive again in 2025.

Trade/Retire:

-Aaron Rodgers:
Hopefully one of the by-products of a teardown is that Rodgers would just retire. It would result in crippling cap implications, most notably in 2023, but the idea would be to take your medicine and move on. If he doesn't want to be done, trade him.

-David Bakhtiari: It the effort to stay healthy proves too much, Bakh should just hang it up. Otherwise I would seek to deal him. Again-- terrible cap implications, but you're just taking your medicine.

Trade/Release:

-Kenny Clark:
I would guess that one could get a pretty decent return for a 27 yo of Clark's caliber on a reasonable base salary.

-Aaron Jones: Expectations would need to be tempered here because of age and position, but I would guess that the Packers could get something back for Jones.

-Preston Smith

-De'Vondre Campbell

-Rasul Douglas

Release:

-Darnell Savage: "That doesn't save any cap space!" you say. Yes, but it saves me having to watch Darnell Savage play football.

Allow to Walk:

-Adrian Amos
-Randall Cobb
-Dean Lowry
-Mason Crosby
-Allen Lazard
-Robert Tonyan
-Jarran Reed
-Marcedes Lewis
-Sammy Watkins
-Keisean Nixon
-Dallin Leavitt
-Rudy Ford
-Eric Wilson

Consider Resigning:

-Elgton Jenkins and/or Yosh Nijman:
Both players are young enough that, with OL longevity, one could reasonably assume they're still contributors when GB rebounds as a team. Plus OL play will be key during the rebuilding phase so that other players on offense (esp. QB) can be accurately assessed.

Sign From the Outside:

-Literally No One:
"What is a free agent?"

Conclusion: This would leave the Packers with a few building blocks, lots of draft capital, and crippling cap penalties. You retain Alexander and Gary as pieces for the future, while working on development for guys like Stokes, Walker, and Wyatt. On offense, you keep the OL mostly intact while the young WR's continue to grow. That should provide enough of an ecosystem that you could use 2023 to assess Love and either seek to build around him or move on from him in the future. In 2023, flood the roster with rookies, drafted and undrafted, and see who has the ability to stick during a season when you're taking the brunt of your cap medicine so that you have some flexibility moving forward.
Holy crap.........
Step 1, keep #12
Step 2, listen to #12 about who, he wants.

Kenny Clark... I'm always going to say it. We need more kenny Clark's. More Olinemen drafted. If I was king dingaling. It's all about O/D line and WRs.... Dominant stacked lines and #12 throwing to a spectrum of 2nd rounders like he had before.

The core being #12, his stable of very good Wrs. And a Oline that protects him.
Defensive core being a trio of dominant Dlinemen at dif stages of career. That should create another +1 man advantage, for the rest of the defense.

But seriously. These brass are about to get their ***** fired. I think they should change up protocol in a desperate attempt to salvage this sinking ship.

bring #12 into the draft room. Into the cap strategy sessions. Into the different free agent, or draft report meetings. So he has a chance to build the team he not only wants to play for. But will be possibly excited next spring. Let him pick his wrs and TE. Let #12 recruit some aging all pros. With what little cap we can scrounge up.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Holy crap.........
Step 1, keep #12
Step 2, listen to #12 about who, he wants.

Kenny Clark... I'm always going to say it. We need more kenny Clark's. More Olinemen drafted. If I was king dingaling. It's all about O/D line and WRs.... Dominant stacked lines and #12 throwing to a spectrum of 2nd rounders like he had before.

The core being #12, his stable of very good Wrs. And a Oline that protects him.
Defensive core being a trio of dominant Dlinemen at dif stages of career. That should create another +1 man advantage, for the rest of the defense.

But seriously. These brass are about to get their ***** fired. I think they should change up protocol in a desperate attempt to salvage this sinking ship.

bring #12 into the draft room. Into the cap strategy sessions. Into the different free agent, or draft report meetings. So he has a chance to build the team he not only wants to play for. But will be possibly excited next spring. Let him pick his wrs and TE. Let #12 recruit some aging all pros. With what little cap we can scrounge up.

I have zero doubt Rodgers has been since his adult tantrum between him and Gute. I think he is learning from Russ that this isn’t the video game madden.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yesterday was the clear and deciding piece of data: time to tear it down.

If Rodgers doesn't want to cooperate, then you have to leverage him and force his hand. Let him choose between the following options:

1) Retire
2) Contractually accommodate a trade
3) Spend your last remaining seasons riding the bench on a rebuilding team

If those are the only options you give him, he will choose #1 or #2.

I think what would make the most sense is working out a trade with the Jets. They clearly need a QB, but they're winning too much to draft one. Rodgers was a back to back MVP in the same offense. The Jets can tell themselves it's all the supporting cast, Rodgers can look kindly on a team that he believes will better support him, and the Packers can get him out of the NFC and start over.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If Rodgers doesn't want to cooperate, then you have to leverage him and force his hand. Let him choose between the following options:

1) Retire

I think what would make the most sense is working out a trade with the Jets. They clearly need a QB, but they're winning too much to draft one. Rodgers was a back to back MVP in the same offense. The Jets can tell themselves it's all the supporting cast, Rodgers can look kindly on a team that he believes will better support him, and the Packers can get him out of the NFC and start over.

Option 3 doesn't really exist since that tells all the other vets they don't have to try hard either because the team is more interested in a pissing match than actually trying to win games. The coaches also don't want to put a not-as-good QB on the field in the interest of helping Gute do his job (Gute gets paid plenty to do his job). The first option I could see as a real possibility; the FO has basically torn apart the offense and I can't imagine it's any fun trying to QB that collection of, uh, ineptitude? As for option 2, all the Colts, they love older QBs.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Option 3 doesn't really exist since that tells all the other vets they don't have to try hard either because the team is more interested in a pissing match than actually trying to win games. The coaches also don't want to put a not-as-good QB on the field in the interest of helping Gute do his job (Gute gets paid plenty to do his job). The first option I could see as a real possibility; the FO has basically torn apart the offense and I can't imagine it's any fun trying to QB that collection of, uh, ineptitude? As for option 2, all the Colts, they love older QBs.

I think this is all nonsense.

Most of the veterans need to be cut or traded anyways. It's a rebuild.

As for the last comment, if you watched yesterday's game with a shred of objectivity, you know that it's not just the rest of the offense that's to blame.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this is all nonsense.

Most of the veterans need to be cut or traded anyways. It's a rebuild.

As for the last comment, if you watched yesterday's game with a shred of objectivity, you know that it's not just the rest of the offense that's to blame.

I never said the rest of the offense is entirely to blame; Rodgers has played poorly by his standards. The receiving corps is thrift shop at best and the oline is great at pass blocking and awful at run blocking.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
You can't let Mark Murphy do the rebuild. Why?

1 - He structured this disaster...he has three head chefs (Gute, LaFleur, Ball) that don't seem to be on the same page. So, Murphy hires HC LaFleur who is an offensive guru only. But, he also hired Gute as GM and Gute is only interested in drafting defensive players with his blue chip 1st round draft picks (save for Love, who is no help at all to #12). So, an offense only head coach is given ingredients to make defense. This is a contradiction. Likewise, you've got Russ Ball and Gute throwing away cap space on defensive players that don't do much (Campbell, Douglas, Savage), or an old PK Crosby, while leaving offensive minded LaFleur with table scraps like Sammy Watkins, Mercedes Lewis, R. Cobb and undrafted Lazard and expecting a main course of Super Bowl du jour.

2 - Murphy goofed up the Favre divorce and he's terrified of repeating that with Rodgers. So, now the whole organization is held hostage by Rodgers' massive contract. Again, you have contradictory actions taking place because they traded up in the first round for QB Love, yet, conversely they resign Rodgers for a $200,000,000 term that makes it impossible to ever play Love.

3 - Murphy is a lame duck. No point in allowing him to screw this up any further.

First move is retire Murphy early and get a president in here like Harlan that will hire a GM and give him total control of football operations, including hiring/firing head coaches. Then maybe they can reestablish an harmonious, top-down hierarchy coordinating player acquisition and the coaching staff instead of the disfunctional situation Murphy has created.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In light of the Indy Colts hiring Jeff Saturday as their interim coach, with only HS coaching experience & his playing experience on his resume... I think GB should fire everybody and ...Hire:
GM - Aaron Rodgers (after accepting his resignation as player AND repayment of $40.8Mil SB to give us some '23 cap room)
HC - Ahman Green - put his esports head coaching experience to use.
OC - Brett Favre - he always loved drawing up a new play in the huddle.
DC - George Koonce - on the GB Board of Directors & living in the area anyway, would save on relocation costs.
WR Coaches - Sterling Sharpe & James Lofton
RB Coach - John Kunz
OL Coach - Mark Tauscher assisted by Larry McCarren
DL Coach - Aaron Kampman
DB Coaches - Charles Woodson & Nick Collins
ST Coach - Chris Jacke
Head of Player Development - Don Majkowski

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's never harmonious. it only appears so when teams are winning and it isn't until later we hear about all the strife and conflict. Among players, between players/coaches, coaches/front office etc

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly think that poor coaching has more to do with it than anything else. I guess I sort of include Rodgers in that.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
It’s going to be absolutely hilarious to see the back pedaling if the Packers beat the Cowboys at home on Sunday.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score

1) Retire

Lol. A Jet scenario would be so much like Favre

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s going to be absolutely hilarious to see the back pedaling if the Packers beat the Cowboys at home on Sunday.
Could happen, and honeslty wouldn’t surprise me. This team could figure it out lose just one or two more games and be heading into next year feeling much better…bad thing is no playoffs and middle of pack draft pick…but watch that is what happens.

We do a ton of bs restructures and “run it back” yet again hoping 12 magic will return.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not backpedaling but, as I said elsewhere, enjoying the much lower bar that's been set. No longer do we need to wait for the playoffs, but each individual contest can be a 'that made out season' game.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts