Taysom Hill

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is a gadget player. Still. He's 1 read and run. That's it. He has some Wide open WR's or he runs. I did not see the latest game. I did see all of the previous Atlanta game, and they were terrible. absolutely terrible and Hill had nice numbers he did not have a nice game. I don't see how anyone watching would have figured otherwise. and then he played with Broncos with a Practice Squad Wide Receiver running the show LOL.

There was absolutely zero pressure on the Saints offense to do anything at all in that game. and still HE did not have a good one. They probably would have scored more with Kamara taking direct snaps all game LOL. anytime he went back to pass it was incomplete, he was sacked or he ran. Murry and AK did all the heavy lifting that game. And they could because there was zero pressure for the Saints offense to do anything. Thankfully the Broncos gave them scoring opportunities with fumbles in the redzone and INT's. Their offense was putrid and Hill was a big part of it.

and then I didn't see last week, did he do something noteworthy? Sometimes teams win in spite of their QB. When the Saints are put in a position their offense has to do something and he performs I may start to change my mind. Until then? 1 read and run and they've been fortunate to play teams where that is good enough.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
He is a gadget player. Still. He's 1 read and run. That's it.

Did you even read the article I posted? Funny how you didn't watch Sundays game and you somehow equate Denver's QB with his performance? You do realize Hill had to play against the Denver defense, not the offense right?

Anyway.....since you obviously didn't read the article, here is one paragraph.

"What we have seen over the last three weeks is Taysom Hill can mechanically operate from within the pocket like a real QB and go through his progressions. We have seen him throw with velocity and accuracy, occasionally with touch, and as of Sunday’s game against Atlanta we’ve seen him operate on 3rd down with great efficiency and poise. We have now seen Taysom hill demonstrate a level of quarterback play and ability that a player like Tim Tebow never could, and that means that his potential to be a starting QB is very legit."

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you even read the article I posted? Funny how you didn't watch Sundays game and you somehow equate Denver's QB with his performance? You do realize Hill had to play against the Denver defense, not the offense right?

Anyway.....since you obviously didn't read the article, here is one paragraph.

"What we have seen over the last three weeks is Taysom Hill can mechanically operate from within the pocket like a real QB and go through his progressions. We have seen him throw with velocity and accuracy, occasionally with touch, and as of Sunday’s game against Atlanta we’ve seen him operate on 3rd down with great efficiency and poise. We have now seen Taysom hill demonstrate a level of quarterback play and ability that a player like Tim Tebow never could, and that means that his potential to be a starting QB is very legit."
well i've seen 2 out of the 3, and no he can't mechanically operate within a pocket like a real QB and go thru progressions LOL 1 read and run. or try more reads get confused and maybe someone comes wide flipping open or he gets sacked or he runs.

He's had some nice throws, and a lot of bad ones. and bad reads and the good fortune of playing 2 bad teams.

anyway, maybe this is news to you. I don't need other people's interpretations for what I've seen for myself. So some writer has a different opinion than me, does it change what i've seen? Repeatedly?

I do know they played their defense. I also know they were very bad at it. They were fortunate Denver was even worse on offense and could put Zero pressure back on the Saints and even helped them out with a few turnovers and short fields. Help to score points when you don't have to move the ball, especially when you haven't been moving the ball LOL

Last edited:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well i've seen 2 out of the 3, and now he can't mechanically operate within a pocket like a real QB and go thru progressions LOL

He's had some nice throws, and a lot of bad ones. and bad reads and the good fortune of playing 2 bad teams.
And they were his first two starts .... and he did all that was necessary to win.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And they were his first two starts .... and he did all that was necessary to win.
Like I said, sometimes teams win in spite of who their QB is. I hope we play them again, and he's their starter.

he did do what he needed, but he didn't need to do much. His bar is higher than Tim Tebow. I hope they pay him 16 million again.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I said, sometimes teams win in spite of who their QB is. I hope we play them again, and he's their starter.

he did do what he needed, but he didn't need to do much. His bar is higher than Tim Tebow. I hope they pay him 16 million again.
I’m certainly not going to declare him a bonafide number 1 QB at this point .... but I’m at the point where I’m willing to wait and see.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
[QUOTE="Mondio, post: 891604, member: 10441"I hope they pay him 16 million again.[/QUOTE]

Really shows how close you pay attention to things. Look up his contract.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Mondio, post: 891604, member: 10441"I hope they pay him 16 million again.

Really shows how close you pay attention to things. Look up his contract.[/QUOTE]
Yes, because my point was his contract breakdown amount lol.

He was given about 16 million guaranteed. You sure I’m the one that needs to pay attention?

Have you seen him play his last 3 games?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pat McAfee addressed this issue... I didn’t see the latest game... but he was impressed with Hill and claimed that he was indeed going through his progressions and looked very good.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pat McAfee addressed this issue... I didn’t see the latest game... but he was impressed with Hill and claimed that he was indeed going through his progressions and looked very good.
that's fine, i've seen 2 of 3 and disagree. Look, it's not hard to play QB when you have a dominating defense against floundering teams and you also have a strong running game. Heck, it got some kid in Baltimore the league MVP one year and I watched him throw pass after pass over heads and in the dirt or behind last night, but he sure can run. Strip away a power run game and a dominant defense, how good are these guys? they're just guys. Talented athletic guys, but they're more a product of their environment than they actually drive the environment. Can Taysom Hill run and throw a football, heck yeah he can. Do I think he's a very good QB, not by a long shot. He's has less one trick potential than Kaepernick and I haven't seen anything to show me he's even to that level.

I have a feeling you give DC's 4 games of tape and the Saints would become a team of defense and special teams exclusively.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's has less one trick potential than Kaepernick and I haven't seen anything to show me he's even to that level.
One important thing Hill can do that Kaepernick could not is run inside effectively. And he looks a lot stronger. I saw Hill make some very nice throws downfield about 15 yards. He probably does not do that consistently. Maybe he will get better at that. He is not a "normal" QB, but that definition seems to be changing. Every player in the NFL, when on a good team, gets the advantages and the raves. And most fans don't really take into consideration if a player is on a bad team or not. They just look at stats and except for Hill...wins. I have no idea what he will morph into. But so far, he has been a very valuable player on the Saints.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that's fine, i've seen 2 of 3 and disagree. Look, it's not hard to play QB when you have a dominating defense against floundering teams and you also have a strong running game. Heck, it got some kid in Baltimore the league MVP one year and I watched him throw pass after pass over heads and in the dirt or behind last night, but he sure can run. Strip away a power run game and a dominant defense, how good are these guys? they're just guys. Talented athletic guys, but they're more a product of their environment than they actually drive the environment. Can Taysom Hill run and throw a football, heck yeah he can. Do I think he's a very good QB, not by a long shot. He's has less one trick potential than Kaepernick and I haven't seen anything to show me he's even to that level.

I have a feeling you give DC's 4 games of tape and the Saints would become a team of defense and special teams exclusively.
it’s hard to disagree with something you haven’t seen. That was the whole point, Mcafee came right out and agreed with you about the first two games... and then said the third game was different specifically because Hill indeed did go through the progressions and remained in the pocket. I didn’t see it either, but that is how it was described.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it’s hard to disagree with something you haven’t seen. That was the whole point, Mcafee came right out and agreed with you about the first two games... and then said the third game was different specifically because Hill indeed did go through the progressions and remained in the pocket. I didn’t see it either, but that is how it was described.
If he flipped a switch and become something he hasn't been, then I'm wrong. But again, it was the Falcons. Did he go thru progressions, or just have enough time to sit and look around and play playground ball? There was a perfect play in our game that collinsworth pointed out where he doesn't see those and didn't throw. he went thru how he should have been looking right in the middle to go with the ball the way they were lined up and what happened immediately after the snap of the ball, but since he wasn't wide open, he didn't know he'd be coming open and could have converted. thankfully he didn't and they didn't.. if someone isn't wide open while he sits there, it's tuck and run, or just a run. or it's just a run.

I have my doubts he's something different than he's shown everytime he's on the field in the last game against he Falcons. I look forward to seeing him again. Going thru progressions is dropping back and throwing on time. Knowing who is going to be where when and making those reads and throwing.

It's also hard to agree with someone when you haven't seen it, yes? so while Pat might say something, history says i'm wise to at least be skeptical. Others who also haven't seen the game may choose to use it as "proof" he's better than we've thought.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taysom Hill's new contract. Just amazing to me. Guess he has just been hurt.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Taysom Hill's new contract. Just amazing to me. Guess he has just been hurt.
From what I read, don't read too much into it. Yes, it seems like some huge numbers, but like many teams are doing, it is just a very creative contract, designed to dance around the cap.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I read, don't read too much into it. Yes, it seems like some huge numbers, but like many teams are doing, it is just a very creative contract, designed to dance around the cap.

Agreed Poker. It "looks" like a 4-year, $40 mil contract. The moon will leave its orbit before that happens. Still, he'll probably see somewhere between $10 and $20 mil. Not bad for a "gadget player".

D

Deleted member 6794

The extension Hill signed includes a total of $22.5 million in guaranteed money, which is absolutely insane considering the cap situation the Saints are in and the impact he has had this season.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The extension Hill signed includes a total of $22.5 million in guaranteed money, which is absolutely insane considering the cap situation the Saints are in and the impact he has had this season.
Obviously they still like him a lot. Insane? I guess we will see. And it looks like he will be in the mix for some quarterbacking.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would only call the contract insane, if the Saints paid it all out. I doubt they have any intention too. As far as what Hill has delivered this season, he has been out injured for at least 3+ games, after taking a helmet to helmet in the WTF game.

I also look at what some teams are willing to pay a backup QB that may never take a snap and still would say the Saints have a pretty good thing going with their backup QB. Hill does so many other things for the team on game day, other than carry a clipboard.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah it's a lot in guaranteed money even if you consider his body of work in the NFL. Yes he's a very versatile athlete. But it doesn't look like he has the skills to be a starting QB in the NFL, and he's been limited (as far as I can tell) to gadget plays where he takes the snap and runs or passes, to varying success. If I read the contract correctly, he's guaranteed $10 mil at the beginning of each year for just showing up and passing the physical. That's nuts considering his contributions. I'm not saying he can't be a part of an NFL team, he can - but not at potentially $20 mil in guaranteed money.

D

Deleted member 6794

Obviously they still like him a lot. Insane? I guess we will see. And it looks like he will be in the mix for some quarterbacking.

The Saints have made it pretty clear that they preferred Winston and Siemian to start over Hill after Brees decided to retire yet for some reason decided to guarantee Hill significantly more money than both received combined this offseason.

In my opinion that's borderline insane.

I would only call the contract insane, if the Saints paid it all out. I doubt they have any intention too. As far as what Hill has delivered this season, he has been out injured for at least 3+ games, after taking a helmet to helmet in the WTF game.

I also look at what some teams are willing to pay a backup QB that may never take a snap and still would say the Saints have a pretty good thing going with their backup QB. Hill does so many other things for the team on game day, other than carry a clipboard.

I know you think that Hill will eventually develop into a decent quarterback but I don't see that happening.

In addition he doesn't do a whole lot of other things for the Saints either having touched the ball only 32 times this year.

If I read the contract correctly, he's guaranteed $10 mil at the beginning of each year for just showing up and passing the physical. That's nuts considering his contributions. I'm not saying he can't be a part of an NFL team, he can - but not at potentially $20 mil in guaranteed money.

Well, at this point Hill's 2022 salary of $10.1 million is fully guaranteed while his 2023 salary of $9.9 million becomes guaranteed in March of next year.

With the Saints hardly moving on from him after this season he's guaranteed to make at least $20 million over the next two seasons.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I know you think that Hill will eventually develop into a decent quarterback but I don't see that happening.
How do you know that I think that?

He has had many chances to become the starter, yet as you and many have pointed out, he hasn't. I accept that.

At this point in his career, what I think he is, is a pretty decent backup QB, that does way more than most backup QB's. I look around the league at what some of the backup QB's are being paid and unless the starter is injured, they never play. Hill provides backup, while filling quite a few other roles pretty well.

I trust Sean Payton and the Saints know what they have in Hill and are paying him accordingly to what they expect to get from him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
“How do you know I think Hill will be a great QB?! I’ve only been a total jerk to anyone who suggests otherwise for 2+ years!!”

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Saints have made it pretty clear that they preferred Winston and Siemian to start over Hill after Brees decided to retire yet for some reason decided to guarantee Hill significantly more money than both received combined this offseason.

In my opinion that's borderline insane.

In addition he doesn't do a whole lot of other things for the Saints either having touched the ball only 32 times this year.

Well, at this point Hill's 2022 salary of $10.1 million is fully guaranteed while his 2023 salary of $9.9 million becomes guaranteed in March of next year.

With the Saints hardly moving on from him after this season he's guaranteed to make at least $20 million over the next two seasons.
I believe Sean feels that the Wildcat will be a huge part of the Saints playbook next season. And who better than Hill?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts