Taysom Hill

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn’t watch Hill, and his stats look fine, but I’d maybe wait for more than one game against a bad defense before I say he’s a good QB.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was 1 read and run. any point he tried to make multiple reads, it was a run, or almost a very bad play. Against a decent defense I think they would have been destroyed if not for the complete inadequacy of the Falcons on both sides of the ball all game.

He did have a couple nice throws. They won. I put that almost squarely on the Defense and failings of the Falcons than anything.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me, it is and always has been wait and see. And he has totally deserved that I believe. And so obviously does Sean Payton. People that call players meh or whatever so often do it w/o a lot of perspective.

D

Deleted member 6794

He also had a long pass for a TD called back due to a penalty. I don't think he is a FHOF'er as a QB, but he eventually might go down as one of the better multi-purpose weapons that has played. When you look at what the Packers paid Jimmy Graham, as well as what other back-up QB's around the league make, I think Sean Payton is smiling today, knowing that the two-year, $21 million contract probably is now going to pay even more dividends beyond what they were getting by only using him as a gadget player. I also think Payton deserves a lot of credit for what he has done in N.O. and his eye for talent. The Saints have won 6 straight games when Brees hasn't been able to start.

As mentioned before Hill made some good throws but most of his deep passes were way underthrown and most likely would have been picked off by a better secondary. Let's see how he fares against better competition.

With that being said I don't think Hill will ever perform at a level even coming close to justify the Saints paying him $21 million over two seasons.

I agree it's impressive the Saints are 6-0 with backup quarterbacks starting over the past two seasons though.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
I thought he played well enough to earn another start this week but Atlanta's defense is just bad. Broncos are a better defense and have some game film.

I agree it's impressive the Saints are 6-0 with backup quarterbacks starting over the past two seasons though.

Coaching matters and Sean Payton, in my opinion, is one of the best in the NFL.

D

Deleted member 6794

It seems like Hill had a lot of help from the Saints offensive line as well.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

The Saints will win this week as well after all four quarterbacks currently on the Broncos roster have been declared ineligible for today's game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Saints will win this week as well after all four quarterbacks currently on the Broncos roster have been declared ineligible for today's game.
He had help from the Falcons. They were horrible and that's being generous.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

So you don't think that has anything to do with Hill being the more mobile of the 2 QB's or as Mondio pointed out, the Falcons defense? Sorry, but that stat, after one game, pretty much means Bupkis.

D

Deleted member 6794

So you don't think that has anything to do with Hill being the more mobile of the 2 QB's or as Mondio pointed out, the Falcons defense? Sorry, but that stat, after one game, pretty much means Bupkis.

My point being that Hill benefitted from playing against a Falcons defense not being able to put pressure on him. He won't have that benefit facing better opponents.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
My point being that Hill benefitted from playing against a Falcons defense not being able to put pressure on him. He won't have that benefit facing better opponents.

My point was that Hill is a much more mobile QB than Brees. If you are going to compare stats, you should take into account all the variables and THAT my friend is a big variable.

D

Deleted member 6794

My point was that Hill is a much more mobile QB than Brees. If you are going to compare stats, you should take into account all the variables and THAT my friend is a big variable.

While it's true that Hill is much more mobile than Brees he won't have that much time to throw the ball every single week.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While it's true that Hill is much more mobile than Brees he won't have that much time to throw the ball every single week.

Of course he won't, he might have more or less, we don't know. Which is why that one game (For Hill) Stat comparison and you saying "Hill had a lot of help from the Saints offensive line as well", is nonsense.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score

Brees ran a 4.83 in the 2001 combine and is likely a bit slower today at 41. Doesn't really force a defense to maintain their gaps as much as a faster/mobile Hill (4.44 40 time). I think that is going to slow any pass rush down as defenses will be more concerned about containing him. Curious to see how today goes. As you said, the Broncos have no real QB today and winning is going to mean the defense steps up big time and may take more risks.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will be a game where both teams are starting Running backs at the QB position

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hill’s speed and mobility isn’t going to make that much of a difference in the average time to throw.

Few plays here and there, but not a big difference.

D

Deleted member 6794

Of course he won't, he might have more or less, we don't know. Which is why that one game (For Hill) Stat comparison and you saying "Hill had a lot of help from the Saints offensive line as well", is nonsense.

The point being that Hill won't have that much time to throw the ball every single game which will make it more difficult for him to have success.

Take a look at the numbers for other quarterbacks, none of them have as much time as Hill had vs. the Falcons on a consistent basis.

Doesn't really force a defense to maintain their gaps as much as a faster/mobile Hill (4.44 40 time). I think that is going to slow any pass rush down as defenses will be more concerned about containing him. Curious to see how today goes.

There are more mobile quarterbacks in the league than Hill. None of them slow down opposing pass rushers consistently to have that much time to throw the ball.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The point being that Hill won't have that much time to throw the ball every single game which will make it more difficult for him to have success.

Take a look at the numbers for other quarterbacks, none of them have as much time as Hill had vs. the Falcons on a consistent basis.

There are more mobile quarterbacks in the league than Hill. None of them slow down opposing pass rushers consistently to have that much time to throw the ball.

Again, I was responding to your post about giving credit to the Saints OL for all the time Hill was afforded. Saying that sounds like you aren't taking into account Hill's mobility nor the defense. Go back and read it, I distinctly acknowledged that Hill will have more or less time in future games.

Simple question and I will drop it. "Who do you think would have more time to throw the ball, everything besides the players themselves being equal, Rodgers or Mahomes, Brees or Hill?"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Again, I was responding you your post about giving credit to the Saints OL for all the time Hill was afforded. Saying that sounds like you aren't taking into account Hill's mobility nor the defense. Go back and read it, I distinctly acknowledged that Hill will have more or less time in future games.

FYI Baker Mayfield currently leads the league among QBs with at least 90 pass attempts with an average of 3.14 seconds.

With that being said and taken into consideration I highly doubt Hill will have more time to throw the ball as he had vs. the Falcons in most games moving forward which will have an effect on his performance.

To be honest I don't care if the Saints OL deserves credit for it or the Falcons defense played terrible.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
FYI Baker Mayfield currently leads the league among QBs with at least 90 pass attempts with an average of 3.14 seconds.

With that being said and taken into consideration I highly doubt Hill will have more time to throw the ball as he had vs. the Falcons in most games moving forward which will have an effect on his performance.

To be honest I don't care if the Saints OL deserves credit for it or the Falcons defense played terrible.

Not sure what you are trying to point out. You didn't answer my simple question.

I simply pointed out that Hill is a more mobile QB, as well as a threat to run and you should factor that in assessing his "time to throw stat". You seemed to only want to give credit to the Saints offensive line in your original post (below), so I told you I thought Hill had something to do with that stat and yes that it could go up or down from week to week. Then you gave credit to the Falcons defense being so bad. Not sure why Hill doesn't have something to do with this stat you pointed out, but not going to try to change your mind.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not sure what you are trying to point out. You didn't answer my simple question.

I simply pointed out that Hill is a more mobile QB, as well as a threat to run and you should factor that in assessing his "time to throw stat". You seemed to only want to give credit to the Saints offensive line in your original post (below), so I told you I thought Hill had something to do with that stat and yes that it could go up or down from week to week. Then you gave credit to the Falcons defense being so bad. Not sure why Hill doesn't have something to do with this stat you pointed out, but not going to try to change your mind.

I don't know how I can make it any more obvious. Even the most mobile quarterbacks in the league don't have THAT much time to throw the ball on a consistent basis.

That will be true for Hill at some point as well, resulting in him not having as much success as he had against the Falcons.

Taking a look at the boxscore vs. the Broncos that already happened.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He's fun to watch, with his style of play he might not fair well in the long run with injuries.

His style definitely exposes him to more chances of being injured. However, at least he has done something else in his 4 years in the league, maybe shut a few of his critics up that loved referring to him as "injury prone" due to his college career. "Injury prone, gadget player, who can't play QB in the NFL", I believe some said. :laugh:

Latest posts