Taysom Hill

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Well that's not exactly what I meant haha. He clearly would have been more useful than just a guy who makes tackles on special teams...but an heir apparent to Rodgers at qb, I can agree that there's no way on that one

At the time, we didn't have a coaching staff that was remotely prepared to use a guy like Hill in the creative ways that he's been used by Sean Payton. He was being viewed strictly as a QB.

In that vein, strictly as a QB, he was a 27 year old rookie who did not even come close to fitting the offense and who had suffered FOUR season ending injuries in college. It made less than no sense to keep him around as a quarterback in that context.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The game did not say much about Taysom Hill one way or the other. New Orleans was moving the ball and scoring points. They did not need gadget plays. That Zadarious made a great play just does not mean much except that it was a great play for us.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers did not fail here. A guy like Hill does not work in the old or new Packers offense.
I guess Taysom did help us last night when he had the ball slapped out of his hands and recovered by Z. Hard to say there's ONE play that turns a game but that was a big one. Maybe TT was waaaaay ahead of us when he cut him. Nah.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
when the shine wears off gadgets they aren't worth a whole lot. I have workhorse tools that do their job as well today as they did 20 years ago. that's what you invest in. Football isn't much different. He's as he's always been. A fine athlete, but useful as a wrinkle in certain situations. when you have Rodgers, anytime you take the ball out of his hands to put it in a gadets hands, it's a mistake IMO. and the gadget doesn't have the skills to be an every down QB or he would be in a QB starved league. He can run and catch, but not as well as RB's or TE's that run and catch for a living. In some situations he'll still make a big play here or there, but much like the wildcat, defenses have worn the shine off and figured out the wrinkles are limited and are no longer surprises.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was surprised they took Breeze out at the end of the Charger game and 3rd and goal being a TD down. And Hill ran it in from the 8 or so. So that was certainly worth something. Not saying worth $10M.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I was surprised they took Breeze out at the end of the Charger game and 3rd and goal being a TD down. And Hill ran it in from the 8 or so. So that was certainly worth something. Not saying worth $10M.

What's funny about that play is that you could argue it was actually bad for the NO offense. Because it validates continuing to take Brees off the field for these gadget plays.

Before that moment, he had touched the ball 15 times for a total of 61 yards (combined rushing and receiving-- 4.1 yds per touch) and zero touchdowns. What's even worse, he converted only 3 of those touches into 1st downs.

So taking Brees off the field for Hill this season has been a losing proposition. But because of that score, Payton is going to be encouraged to continue doing it.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still, it was a huge play for them and allowed them to win the game. I understand what you say but don't necessarily agree with it. It's like a RB that has 120 yards but 70 came on one play. I don't think you can downplay the accomplishment especially when the one play keeps them in the game. But I was surprised as hell. I mean, it was 3rd and goal and they need a TD. Just as an aside. Hill had the ball in his hand looking like his first option was to throw it. And he was scanning the field. Up till now he pretty much always runs. So we will see how that might affect his productivity. I just think he is interesting.

D

Deleted member 6794

Still, it was a huge play for them and allowed them to win the game. I understand what you say but don't necessarily agree with it. It's like a RB that has 120 yards but 70 came on one play. I don't think you can downplay the accomplishment especially when the one play keeps them in the game. But I was surprised as hell. I mean, it was 3rd and goal and they need a TD. Just as an aside. Hill had the ball in his hand looking like his first option was to throw it. And he was scanning the field. Up till now he pretty much always runs. So we will see how that might affect his productivity. I just think he is interesting.

Hill is an interesting player but the Saints were foolish to pay him that kind of money.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hill is an interesting player but the Saints were foolish to pay him that kind of money.
no kidding, I still have no idea what they were thinking giving him that money, even if for just a year or 2. In certain situations he's a fine player, gives you options kind of. But I think defenses are figuring it out by now with him. Collinsworth pointed out a perfect example of his limits in our game against him.

He either splits out and runs simple routes and sometimes he's left wide open, success. Or he motions back in and blocks or he gets a direct snap with a read and run. BUt there was one, the pass was open, he had to throw it early, and he never saw it and was looking to run. Thankfully for us, and it went nowhere.

A QB that can only make 1 read isn't hard to defend. Not once you figure out their 1 read or an injury or 2 slows them down.

I don't think Hill increases their redzone efficiency. Sure, there may be some stat that shows he has a better percentage, but I bet if you put him in there in ALL the situations instead of just the perfect situations that percentage would be lower than if you just kept the ball in a QB like Bree's hands.

I sure as heck wouldn't want them taking the ball out of Rodgers' hands ever thinking Hill gave us a better option. Because he doesn't. Now that doesn't mean I'm totally against giving hard working players a chance for some glory now and again, but you don't pay gadget players 16 million dollars to do it. 2 at the most. He's not that integral to the team.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Drew Brees got injured yesterday and his backup was Jameis Winston.

Another season in which Taysom Hill, tha gawd, is not the backup. Still waiting for that franchise QB breakout. They say most NFL players really blossom at 31.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drew Brees got injured yesterday and his backup was Jameis Winston.

Another season in which Taysom Hill, tha gawd, is not the backup. Still waiting for that franchise QB breakout. They say most NFL players really blossom at 31.
To be a starting QB is not necessarily the reason New Orleans signed Hill.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Right-- they signed him to be a gadget player. A hilariously overpaid gadget player. But in the past, when I've called him that, lots of people have flipped out and told me that he's a QB. So... here we are again.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
If Drew Brees is out for some games then this is the time for Hill to show what he has. The next four games in sequence the Saints play are the Falcons, Broncos, Falcons again, and then Eagles. Falcons are giving up 310 passing yards per game (31st in NFL), Broncos and Eagles are better but I think the Saints as a team match up well.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Drew Brees is out for some games then this is the time for Hill to show what he has. The next four games in sequence the Saints play are the Falcons, Broncos, Falcons again, and then Eagles. Falcons are giving up 310 passing yards per game (31st in NFL), Broncos and Eagles are better but I think the Saints as a team match up well.
I think this argument has been settled by the Saints themselves. When Breeze got hurt, Jamais Winston came in. He is their backup not Hill. Hill will still be brought in occasionally... maybe a little more with Breeze out, but the Saints obviously still view him as their gadget player... not their backup QB.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
I think this argument has been settled by the Saints themselves. When Breeze got hurt, Jamais Winston came in. He is their backup not Hill. Hill will still be brought in occasionally... maybe a little more with Breeze out, but the Saints obviously still view him as their gadget player... not their backup QB.

Just a guess, but maybe Jameis Winston took more reps during the week as Hill was in the game plan for the gadget plays? I guess we will find out for sure this coming weekend as Brees will likely be out based upon the latest update.

https://www.nfl.com/news/saints-qb-drew-brees-multiple-broken-ribs-lung-issue-injury

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I got a vision of the future.

It's the year 2025. Taysom Hill is 35 years old and serving as a special teams quality control coach for the Saints. Their starter gets injured. A backup enters the game. Packer fans speculate that maybe Hill will start the following week after getting some snaps in practice.

Last edited:

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And last year Teddy B started instead of Hill. I agree, they have answered it themselves.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Hill has won two games for the Saints this year. That is worth something.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And last year Teddy B started instead of Hill. I agree, they have answered it themselves.

I think with their high touting of Hill last offseason and tendering him with a first-round tender it was them posturing to try to steal a first from a needy team like the Pats. It didn't work. Jameis kinda fell into their laps. I agree with others, it's going to be Jameis' job to lose.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that the Saints don't consider Hill a starting quarterback and fully expect Winston to start this week. With that being said there was absolutely no reason for them to pay him that much money if they don't plan on using him as a quarterback.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no kidding, I still have no idea what they were thinking giving him that money, even if for just a year or 2. In certain situations he's a fine player, gives you options kind of. But I think defenses are figuring it out by now with him. Collinsworth pointed out a perfect example of his limits in our game against him.

He either splits out and runs simple routes and sometimes he's left wide open, success. Or he motions back in and blocks or he gets a direct snap with a read and run. BUt there was one, the pass was open, he had to throw it early, and he never saw it and was looking to run. Thankfully for us, and it went nowhere.

A QB that can only make 1 read isn't hard to defend. Not once you figure out their 1 read or an injury or 2 slows them down.

I don't think Hill increases their redzone efficiency. Sure, there may be some stat that shows he has a better percentage, but I bet if you put him in there in ALL the situations instead of just the perfect situations that percentage would be lower than if you just kept the ball in a QB like Bree's hands.

I sure as heck wouldn't want them taking the ball out of Rodgers' hands ever thinking Hill gave us a better option. Because he doesn't. Now that doesn't mean I'm totally against giving hard working players a chance for some glory now and again, but you don't pay gadget players 16 million dollars to do it. 2 at the most. He's not that integral to the team.
Hey Mondio, the $16 mil, is that for two years? I think so. Yeah, that's a lot to pay a one-read backup QB and sometimes WR and wildcatter. And he's 31, right? Not a kid.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Members online

Latest posts