Studs n duds Miami

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 56 yard FG by Crosby put to rest the issue on his ability to kick the longer ones. He did it into a swirling wind.

I understand that Ramiz Ahmed, who is our second kicker, is there because of the injury Mason has had since before the season started. The question is if they can do anything to help him with it, during the off season. I'm going out on a limb here and suggesting that they might want Ramiz to stick around, because Crosby could possibly retire after this season. It wouldn't be due to his age, or lack of skill, but would relate to the injury, and the fact that it doesn't seem to want to heal. Chronic injuries end a lot of careers, especially in football.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Y

With that being said should we revisit your claim that the Packers should have played Love and several other backups, tanking the season in the process for better draft position after the loss to the Eagles as there was no chance of them making the playoffs. How silly does THAT look now?
oh, don't worry, if or when GB loses before the Super Bowl they'll be right back with that on what a mistake it was to win so many games or something. many are probably just hoping weekly to be vindicated in the quest for losses and they'll still show up calling themselves a "fan"

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The 56 yard FG by Crosby put to rest the issue on his ability to kick the longer ones. He did it into a swirling wind.
Actually was the longest kick by a Packer at Lambeau, so pretty impressive for a 38 year old. Heck, the Vikings kicker Joseph is 10 years younger and had kicked a 61 yard winner the week before and he missed 2 from a lot closer (46 and 50). Of course his 61 yarder was indoors.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
With that being said should we revisit your claim that the Packers should have played Love and several other backups, tanking the season in the process for better draft position after the loss to the Eagles as there was no chance of them making the playoffs. How silly does THAT look now?
Already addressed that several posts ago. Nice rephrasing of my premise BTW, typical Cap stuff.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually was the longest kick by a Packer at Lambeau, so pretty impressive for a 38 year old. Heck, the Vikings kicker Joseph is 10 years younger and had kicked a 61 yard winner the week before and he missed 2 from a lot closer (46 and 50). Of course his 61 yarder was indoors.
David Akers kicked one from 63 in Lambeau back in 2012. But that was September instead of New Years in Green Bay.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
David Akers kicked one from 63 in Lambeau back in 2012. But that was September instead of New Years in Green Bay.
Right, but I believe Akers was a 49er at the time? Crosby's was the longest kicked by a Packer at Lambeau Fitting that he now holds that record.

Your point about Sept. VS Jan is a great one too. Would be interesting to know how much that effects kicks by.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lambeau Field is a treacherous place to kick from the first of December on.

Sunday's game was an example. Joseph complained about how he couldn't plant his foot for his kicks.

Crosby has made a career out of working through it. Considering the discussion we've had out here for some time now, I think this game pointed out just why some of us say that you have to look past the stats when it comes to this phase of the game, when you play at Lambeau Field, in half of the games each year.

Something I didn't mention. Back some years ago, the NFL narrowed the distance between the hash marks, moving the ball placement closer to the middle of the field. This means that there's a narrower strip being tore up constantly during plays. This becomes very apparent at Lambeau, because you can see it turning to mud.

Not only did Joseph whine about it, so did the Vikings top receivers, saying they couldn't get their footing.

Therein lies the mystique of Lambeau Field. You gotta be a mudder.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right, but I believe Akers was a 49er at the time? Crosby's was the longest kicked by a Packer at Lambeau Fitting that he now holds that record.

Your point about Sept. VS Jan is a great one too. Would be interesting to know how much that effects kicks by.
Back in 1964 Paul Hornung kicked a 52 yard " free kick " FG at the halftime gun against the Bears on opening day. At the time that was considered pretty spectacular. Not sure if the rules still allow that. I believe Willie Wood made a fair catch with 3 seconds to go at our 48. So the ball was kicked like a kickoff. The irony is that Hornung kicked 3 FGs that day but it turned out to be a horrific year going like 12 for 39. Who'd have thought?

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back in 1964 Paul Hornung kicked a 52 yard " free kick " FG at the halftime gun against the Bears on opening day. At the time that was considered pretty spectacular. Not sure if the rules still allow that.
Yes, in fact, here is a video showing Crosby attempting a 69-yard free kick into the wind. He was only short by a couple yards.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

I understand that Ramiz Ahmed, who is our second kicker, is there because of the injury Mason has had since before the season started. The question is if they can do anything to help him with it, during the off season. I'm going out on a limb here and suggesting that they might want Ramiz to stick around, because Crosby could possibly retire after this season. It wouldn't be due to his age, or lack of skill, but would relate to the injury, and the fact that it doesn't seem to want to heal. Chronic injuries end a lot of careers, especially in football.

Ahmed suffered an injury in warmups before the game against the Vikings. It seems the injury will keep him out for some time as the Packers signed Matt Ammendola to the practice squad yesterday.

Crosby is a total of 47-of-52 (90.4%) on field goals in September at Lambeau and an impressive 24-of-26 (92.3%) in January.

He struggles from October to December though, having made only 79.0% of his field goals over that period.

Lambeau Field is a treacherous place to kick from the first of December on.

Sunday's game was an example. Joseph complained about how he couldn't plant his foot for his kicks.

Crosby has made a career out of working through it. Considering the discussion we've had out here for some time now, I think this game pointed out just why some of us say that you have to look past the stats when it comes to this phase of the game, when you play at Lambeau Field, in half of the games each year.

It's a fact that opposing kickers have combined to have more success kicking field goals at Lambeau since 2007 than Crosby has.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahmed suffered an injury in warmups before the game against the Vikings. It seems the injury will keep him out for some time as the Packers signed Matt Ammendola to the practice squad yesterday.

Crosby is a total of 47-of-52 (90.4%) on field goals in September at Lambeau and an impressive 24-of-26 (92.3%) in January.

He struggles from October to December though, having made only 79.0% of his field goals over that period.

It's a fact that opposing kickers have combined to have more success kicking field goals at Lambeau since 2007 than Crosby has.

I think the stats you posted here tell an important story. During the month of January, the chips are on the table, and you have to win games, or your season ends. It shows me that Crosby kicks the snot out of the ball during the tough run in January, which is very important. When the game means the most, he appears to have ice in his veins.

Those stats tell me that Crosby is the guy I want out there, when the season is on the line.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While that is interesting, I wasn't looking to open up the Crosby debate again, my statement of:

was merely one to talk about the effect that the cold weather has on ALL kickers, but more specifically, the ball and distance.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think the stats you posted here tell an important story. During the month of January, the chips are on the table, and you have to win games, or your season ends. It shows me that Crosby kicks the snot out of the ball during the tough run in January, which is very important. When the game means the most, he appears to have ice in his veins.

Those stats tell me that Crosby is the guy I want out there, when the season is on the line.

While those numbers are definitely impressive you need to consider that before the great kick on Sunday vs. the Vikings his longest field goal at Lambeau in January had been from 47 yards. In total only three of the kicks he made have been from 40+ yards with nine coming from less than 30.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

My remembrance is that Mason does not do many long FGs in the playoffs or late season games. Both HCs have gone with a conservative strategy when the chips are down and played more for field position unless it was necessary for the points.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts