Studs and duds Ram game

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lots of Twitter experts like Ross Uglem panned the pick and have never shut up about Brian Burns. Gary took longer to emerge, but he's the better player now. I love it.

Honestly, outside of Jaire and Jenkins we have not drafted a more dominant player IMO during Gute's reign. That's as of today IMO. Could change moving forward as all careers progress.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seemed logical at the time. A PAT would have put it at 20 points so, kind of a no man's land really. If they score 3 TDs, they potentially beat you by 1. If you get the 2 pt try, it is 21 points. Conversely, if you don't make the 2 pt try, it now goes to 2 TDs, 2 pt tries and a FG. No idea statistically which is more likely.

Funny is that if I'm the Rams, I just take the PAT and roll the dice that even if the Packers get 3 TDs, will Crosby hit all 3 PAT
For me, 20 points is 3 TDs as opposed to 2 TDs, 2 two pt. conversions and a field goal.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dud: It’s also my opinion that McVay has something to prove. He went for it on 4th and 1, but we were already in FG range if they missed. That’s really a poor decision on his part and shows the general lack of respect for our Defense.

Stud: I’ll say it again, Our D is wholly underestimated and not respected. Ok I understand, Some has to do with us making Cousins look good and our Kicker struggling and then being partly desperate to Win.

This D is unique in that it can play top 3 or bottom 3 in any given scenario. It’s very, very dynamic in that respect. Teams that underestimate us are getting humiliated. Just look at McVays look on his face, he looked scared most of that game. Not trying to be mean, just an observation.

I mean I get this take but at a certain point a team just cant continue to absorb personnel losses. We probably could have put up a better effort against the Vikes if we had Z healthy or Gary healthy or even Mercillus. But at a certain point next man up turns into you've gotta be kidding me.

Even cumulative injuries can be sustained as long as you have certain players, and IMO Gary has become one of those guys for us. He's been averaging a sack a game, which typically translates to a drive killed, each game for the last 5 he's played. Even when he's not getting home he's also disrupting multiple passing plays a game every game. I don't even think that a healthy Z creates the sort of consistent disruption that Gary does, the way he's bulling and throwing LTs around out there. He's not flying around the top or inside on a twist play like a healthy Matthews used to but rather he's just blowing LTs up and taking straight routes to the quarterback. Last night that sack fumble he forced to set up a possession inside of their 10 might have caused a 14 point swing in that game.

Final hitter, I bet he flat out scares people with the way he's playing right now. I bet a lot of right handed QBs feel his presence out there knowing that he could be breaking through the blind side protection at any given moment. If I had to think of a comparison I'd say young Julius Peppers, he's not too far removed from young Reggie White albeit with less technical ability.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Packers are 9-3 and could still get back all-pro's at CB, ED, and LT, plus their starting center.

That's wild. We will see who all comes back and how they look, but there's at least a path where they're all high impact players. No other team stands to receive reinforcements like that.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was Bradshaw or Howie that said Green Bay is arguably the best and they are decimated with injuries...so who knows just how good they really are.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Rams do such a beautiful job representing their city.

They're made up of transplants. They're soft. They're more flash than substance.

It's really just perfect.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I guess hitting someone was more important than recovering the ball lmao</p>&mdash; Darnell Savage Jr. (@darnellsavage_) <a href="
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
">November 29, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It hadn't gone 10 yards, he couldn't recover it

However, clearly our player was touching the ball before he launches OVER and into Savage. His hit would have been better sent into the person attempting to recover to cause dislodge or chance he recovers the ball.

Reaction score
I mean I get this take but at a certain point a team just cant continue to absorb personnel losses. We probably could have put up a better effort against the Vikes if we had Z healthy or Gary healthy or even Mercillus. But at a certain point next man up turns into you've gotta be kidding me.

Even cumulative injuries can be sustained as long as you have certain players, and IMO Gary has become one of those guys for us. He's been averaging a sack a game, which typically translates to a drive killed, each game for the last 5 he's played. Even when he's not getting home he's also disrupting multiple passing plays a game every game. I don't even think that a healthy Z creates the sort of consistent disruption that Gary does, the way he's bulling and throwing LTs around out there. He's not flying around the top or inside on a twist play like a healthy Matthews used to but rather he's just blowing LTs up and taking straight routes to the quarterback. Last night that sack fumble he forced to set up a possession inside of their 10 might have caused a 14 point swing in that game.

Final hitter, I bet he flat out scares people with the way he's playing right now. I bet a lot of right handed QBs feel his presence out there knowing that he could be breaking through the blind side protection at any given moment. If I had to think of a comparison I'd say young Julius Peppers, he's not too far removed from young Reggie White albeit with less technical ability.
When I think of superior pass rushing duos, I immediately think of D.T. (Derrick Thomas) His sacks in a single season record at Alabama were largely the result of him being paired with other formidable pass rushers. Cornelius Bennett or Keith McCants (God rest their souls) or later, Neil Smith etc..

While we can operate without Za’darius, it’s painful to imagine what the missing combination of Z and Gary would’ve been like in their primes. I don’t think any Offensive line can contain Kenny Clark, Preston Smith, Rashan Gary and ZaDarius Smith simultaneously. Certainly Not for any duration. Even Tampa Bays line would succumb eventually. Especially if we smelled blood and eventually started getting to Brady. I believe Joe Barry would get the right personnel grouping to get after Brady if Z is able to return somewhat himself.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
However, clearly our player was touching the ball before he launches OVER and into Savage. His hit would have been better sent into the person attempting to recover to cause dislodge or chance he recovers the ball.
Maybe, but his job was Savage, you could see it before the snap. That's what you want on your special teams. Think if Bostick would have had focus on his job instead of pulling an audible and doing his own thing. Jordy would have been clean and we'd be in the super bowl.

Somebody else had the job of Amos or the ball. He had Savage.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Is it just me or am I starting to see/read Joe Barry's name being used more in a positive light? When was the last time a DC was not in the fan doghouse?

Reaction score
Is it just me or am I starting to see/read Joe Barry's name being used more in a positive light? When was the last time a DC was not in the fan doghouse?
He went from the doghouse to underdog to just plain “Dog” in 1/2 season.
Who let the Dogs out?! Woof woof.. Woof.. woof woof!!
This just gave me a fantastic video production idea for the playoffs!

NFL Presents: J. D O G

Last edited:

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

Oline - the patch worked, and the tires were fine for a well planned and executed game plan.

Gary - the addition of this player brought even more heat on Stafford. Playing while dinged up and he brought it.

P Smith - he is having a great run this year and he is disruptive on the rush a lot.

Cobb - what a nice surprise to see him back in the fold and crafty.

Dillon - I dont know how anyone couldnt be happy with a player that drags the opponent and trucks when the D is gassed. He has great hands too and it compliments his effectiveness.

Amos - He was flying around and really played with quickness and was instinctive.

Deguara - I'm starting to see him developing here. He is starting to be a weapon. Who knew?

Kenny Clark - this is his finest season. Just great movement and beating double teams to blow up the pocket.

Duds -

Return units - not fielding the ball.

Crosby - he was better today but the kick he missed is still concerning.

Lazard - not getting open and his routes were not crisp at all.

Stokes - that was a pick 6 and he flat out did not concentrate.

This was a very good win, and now the team gets a rest. The question will be if we see the likes of Bakh, Jaire, Z Smith, or Meyers coming up. My guess is we will not. Sure hope I am wrong, but this defense has played very well with the group that is on the field, as has the Oline. Arians seems to think he will take his D against any running game. I want to see Dillon jack hammer that D. Here's to hoping.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs
Rodgers
Dillon
Adams
Cobb The guy is good after the catch. Gets open and has good hands.
Amos
Douglas
Gary
Kenny Clark
o-line (quick passing game helped)
Coaches (good game plan, keeping Rodgers upright) Defense was solid for the most part.

Duds
Lazard the ball dropper.
Sullivan the piece of toast.
Cobb the fumbler, who always get hurt. Which is why the Packers got rid of him in the first place.
Jones
Crosby the head case.
The long snapper and holder.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is this new?
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
I take offense to this message. While I have no objection to moderators having final say over what is acceptable for this site I have a very strong objection to them determining who is and who is not normal. As a non moderator I take offense that while I myself am viewed as normal it implies that moderators are not normal I move to have the word normal added to the list of censored words on this site as it is extremely offensive.

Side note if my proposal is accepted I believe that brings the total number of censored words to exactly half of all words in the English language.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Play of the game...arguably best play of the year so far: Adrian Amos on that 4th and like three inches play. He both diagnosed, attacked and hit all in the same millisecond to end the rush. That play was incredible.

Critique on folks thoughts a little on Rasul being a STUD - I concur, the dude deserves a stud, but how often has Kevin King had an otherwise solid game that then is completely ignored due to giving up a massive momentum swinging deep ball TD (not always in a loss mind you). I get it, King comes with higher expectations and such than Rasul and rightly so, I'm only saying if some of you are going to be borderline ignorant in your hate or criticism to King let's give equal shots at Rasul.

My personal STUDS and DUDS, I like to limit it to at most two guys on defense and two on offense for sake of creative argument:

STUDS LIST
Aaron Rodgers - the touch at times on his balls were incredible last night, even with a few misses I put on his shoulders to MVS. The ball down the sideline to Adams could not have been handed to Adams any better, and the ball over the middle LB to a crossing Cobb that somehow had the elevation touch and the zip both in the same pass just doesn't seem human. I've said it before, I will never defend Aaron Rodgers the man (I despise his smug arrogant ways) but dear freaking Lord, I could live to 100 and I don't believe I will ever see another QB with as pure a skillset passing the ball.
AJ Dillon - Adams started to say it and stopped as to not appear to say Jones isn't capable of it, but I'll say it. NO ONE initiates contact running the ball like AJ Dillon does. Even Eddie Lacy (Adams mentioned) to me didn't make sure he was the aggressor when running with the ball. There are moments nearly every game where Dillon will plant a foot and HIT a defender rather than be hit that just makes my eye's pop - and the fact at times it is a DL in the NFL he is pushing back and/or dragging is just insane. To watch him drag Aaron Donald and helpers two/three more additional yards is not something a person of Earth should be capable of. I'll bag the drum again like many of us said when drafted, his hands were never called upon but are very SOFT on the catch too...
Preston Smith and Rashan Gary - I don't think you can even begin to provide reasons how we are at 9-3 and not include these two. With an INSANELY depleted crew at OLB, these two and the damage and constant push they've provided this defense I'd argue is the primary reason this defense has seen so much success. It is why Campbell in many ways is being such a stud, Barnes is continuing to thrive most games as well. I truly believe given everything Preston is having his strongest all around season he has ever had with a G on his helmet and dear Lord what Gary has turned into is just incredible. Hyper extended elbow, with a brace and he looked like he didn't lose an ounce of strength or game because of it.

DUDS
Honestly, I don't see a specific guy as much as units or times:
Red Zone Offense - we are deadly still for sure, but we gotta figure this out more as we progress into the final stretch run after the bye.
The FG unit - it just doesn't feel natural, even on all the makes last night (which again was all but the one FG) it never looked or felt easy/fluid.
Big Plays - the two bombs just cannot happen...but is the risk we run with the depleted secondary and the style of play a few of our DBs utilize....still deserve a dud, but things happen.
Dillon is a lot like Earl Campbell was - almost impossible to get down without only one guy. I'm sure DBs do not relish seeing him come full bore right at them.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guessing it was the math that they use when making the decision. I prefer taking the sure 1 with that score and amount of time left, although this year, that is never a sure thing either.
I think it was too early to go for 2 there. IMO you go for 2 late in the game when you absolutely have to.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think it was too early to go for 2 there. IMO you go for 2 late in the game when you absolutely have to.
I think we both agree, but the bold part seems to differ among fans and coaches. I think there are times you go for it with a lead too. Up by 1/5/8/15 points after scoring a TD and under 7 minutes left, go for it. It also could vary depending on the way the rest of the game has gone. If it has been a defensive battle and a low scoring game, I might take the more sure thing with a 2 score lead.

Those last 5 minutes of a game can often turn into a sprint and lots of points can be scored. So that 1 point you pass on, to go for 2, can end up costing you the game, when there ends up being multiple scores by both teams.

Members online

Latest posts