Studs and duds Ram game

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Studs - Pass Protection was awesome. Pass rush was good all day. Big turnovers by the defense. Dillon was the star on offense. Cobb with the excellent YAC.

Duds - Special Teams again. Lazard had a bad game.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Play of the game...arguably best play of the year so far: Adrian Amos on that 4th and like three inches play. He both diagnosed, attacked and hit all in the same millisecond to end the rush. That play was incredible.

Critique on folks thoughts a little on Rasul being a STUD - I concur, the dude deserves a stud, but how often has Kevin King had an otherwise solid game that then is completely ignored due to giving up a massive momentum swinging deep ball TD (not always in a loss mind you). I get it, King comes with higher expectations and such than Rasul and rightly so, I'm only saying if some of you are going to be borderline ignorant in your hate or criticism to King let's give equal shots at Rasul.

My personal STUDS and DUDS, I like to limit it to at most two guys on defense and two on offense for sake of creative argument:

STUDS LIST
Aaron Rodgers - the touch at times on his balls were incredible last night, even with a few misses I put on his shoulders to MVS. The ball down the sideline to Adams could not have been handed to Adams any better, and the ball over the middle LB to a crossing Cobb that somehow had the elevation touch and the zip both in the same pass just doesn't seem human. I've said it before, I will never defend Aaron Rodgers the man (I despise his smug arrogant ways) but dear freaking Lord, I could live to 100 and I don't believe I will ever see another QB with as pure a skillset passing the ball.
AJ Dillon - Adams started to say it and stopped as to not appear to say Jones isn't capable of it, but I'll say it. NO ONE initiates contact running the ball like AJ Dillon does. Even Eddie Lacy (Adams mentioned) to me didn't make sure he was the aggressor when running with the ball. There are moments nearly every game where Dillon will plant a foot and HIT a defender rather than be hit that just makes my eye's pop - and the fact at times it is a DL in the NFL he is pushing back and/or dragging is just insane. To watch him drag Aaron Donald and helpers two/three more additional yards is not something a person of Earth should be capable of. I'll bag the drum again like many of us said when drafted, his hands were never called upon but are very SOFT on the catch too...
Preston Smith and Rashan Gary - I don't think you can even begin to provide reasons how we are at 9-3 and not include these two. With an INSANELY depleted crew at OLB, these two and the damage and constant push they've provided this defense I'd argue is the primary reason this defense has seen so much success. It is why Campbell in many ways is being such a stud, Barnes is continuing to thrive most games as well. I truly believe given everything Preston is having his strongest all around season he has ever had with a G on his helmet and dear Lord what Gary has turned into is just incredible. Hyper extended elbow, with a brace and he looked like he didn't lose an ounce of strength or game because of it.

DUDS
Honestly, I don't see a specific guy as much as units or times:
Red Zone Offense - we are deadly still for sure, but we gotta figure this out more as we progress into the final stretch run after the bye.
The FG unit - it just doesn't feel natural, even on all the makes last night (which again was all but the one FG) it never looked or felt easy/fluid.
Big Plays - the two bombs just cannot happen...but is the risk we run with the depleted secondary and the style of play a few of our DBs utilize....still deserve a dud, but things happen.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was that necessary to go for two? Maybe someone could explain it. I thought one would have been good. So I will give a dud to calling a time out there and not just taking the penalty and kicking it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honorable mention for another incredible play of the game....anyone else just amazed at how Barnes on the dump pass/screen play early beat his double team blockers by dropping to the ground and almost then pouncing (like a lion on prey) on the ball carrier stopping what was going to be a MASSIVE play had he not?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm wondering why GB didn't have any guys that were to disrupt them and keep the receiver clean? I suppose that didn't work so well with Bostick either.
Could have something to do with the new rules on how players have to line up for kickoffs and how that has changed the technique used by kickers. I have seen the "slow roller" that Matt Gay tried yesterday, used with some success. What it does is force the "hands guys" for the receiving team to go right up and grab the ball, if they miss or get hit simultaneously, the kicking team has a decent chance at recovery.

Basically, the ball is moving so slowly, it wouldn't do you any good to try and get disrupters in front of it for a receiver to eventually recover it.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Was that necessary to go for two? Maybe someone could explain it. I thought one would have been good. So I will give a dud to calling a time out there and not just taking the penalty and kicking it.
Guessing it was the math that they use when making the decision. I prefer taking the sure 1 with that score and amount of time left, although this year, that is never a sure thing either.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys are making me love my take even more! Gonna have a hard time getting me to come off of it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could have something to do with the new rules on how players have to line up for kickoffs and how that has changed the technique used by kickers. I have seen the "slow roller" that Matt Gay tried yesterday, used with some success. What it does is force the "hands guys" for the receiving team to go right up and grab the ball, if they miss or get hit simultaneously, the kicking team has a decent chance at recovery.

Basically, the ball is moving so slowly, it wouldn't do you any good to try and get disrupters in front of it for a receiver to eventually recover it.
Good point, never thought about the rule changes. Either way, you gotta know people are going to be flying at you to move your or get that ball moving again.

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In addition to those listed above, the banged-up O-line deserves some love. No, Bahk, no EJ, no Meyers....No problem, against the likes of Aaron Donald, Leonard Floyde and all the rest.

Donald got so frustrated that he grabbed Patrick's throat which should drawn a flag. Patrick has average ability but he's a bull dog in the trenches. I can see how he gets under the skin of his opponents.

Impressive.

Reaction score
This is exactly why I prefer how they do it at the NCAA level. At anytime, someone in the booth can stop play and review the hit. Things happen so quickly down on the field and a ref doesn't always spot the obvious due to bad angles or his view being blocked.

Now what they do have to do away with is the unintentional "targeting". Afterall, doesn't the word "target" imply the aim was to hit a spot? Too often the ballcarrier moves his head at the last second and that alone can create what appears to be the defender hitting him illegally.
Agreed. But this wasn’t that case referenced. Those things happen. This was getting your # called and being a victim. Last one I saw that bad for GB was Clifton? With Sapp?

Maybe Barr with Rodgers? Jordy with that Denver LB (eventually Bears LB). Just dirty stuff.

I’m amazed Darnell even walked off the field. Those helmets are much better today

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Donald got so frustrated that he grabbed Patrick's throat which should drawn a flag. Patrick has average ability but he's a bull dog in the trenches. I can see how he gets under the skin of his opponents.

I saw him really handle Donald on one play. Surprised me.

Reaction score
Dud: It’s also my opinion that McVay has something to prove. He went for it on 4th and 1, but we were already in FG range if they missed. That’s really a poor decision on his part and shows the general lack of respect for our Defense.

Stud: I’ll say it again, Our D is wholly underestimated and not respected. Ok I understand, Some has to do with us making Cousins look good and our Kicker struggling and then being partly desperate to Win.

This D is unique in that it can play top 3 or bottom 3 in any given scenario. It’s very, very dynamic in that respect. Teams that underestimate us are getting humiliated. Just look at McVays look on his face, he looked scared most of that game. Not trying to be mean, just an observation.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here's a mega stud-- that dirty loser who launched his helmet into Savage's head on their onside attempt.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm really enjoying Rashan Gary's emergence after all the grief that pick took. It makes it all the sweeter.
Well I never know for certain good or bad with a pick. But Rashan obviously belongs.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Well I never know for certain good or bad with a pick. But Rashan obviously belongs.

Lots of Twitter experts like Ross Uglem panned the pick and have never shut up about Brian Burns. Gary took longer to emerge, but he's the better player now. I love it.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Seemed logical at the time. A PAT would have put it at 20 points so, kind of a no man's land really. If they score 3 TDs, they potentially beat you by 1. If you get the 2 pt try, it is 21 points. Conversely, if you don't make the 2 pt try, it now goes to 2 TDs, 2 pt tries and a FG. No idea statistically which is more likely.

Funny is that if I'm the Rams, I just take the PAT and roll the dice that even if the Packers get 3 TDs, will Crosby hit all 3 PAT

Members online

Latest posts