Studs and duds lions

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This ^^^ 100%. Kirksey of old is not the Kirksey we got. It was a dice roll worth rolling i would argue tho still. I like our interior more with Barnes out there.

Martin is flashing but he’s mistake prone, as you’d expect. Honestly, our best “linebacker” is Raven Greene.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me Crosby was a stud and a dud. Yes he hit a 58 yarder to make it a 2 score game with minutes left, right before a line drive kickoff wothout any hang time which put the lions right back into scoring position.
Didn't notice that. If so, it was the 2nd game in a row. It is still on Mennenga though. The not getting to the runner.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, it seems like ever since LaFleur told Pettine no more 3 man rushes; Pettine lines up four when he wants his 3 man rush, but one or two of them just kind of sit back and don't really rush. Now I agree against most QBs you should try and contain. But Pettine is only giving the QB time. Don't get me wrong...I don't want to blitz every time. But pressure is good.

This is why I'm curious about Gary's injury, because I wouldn't be surprised if Pettine decided that he liked Preston's skill set in coverage more and then used opted to use him over Gary. I'll be curious if they disclose an injury from Gary or if he shows up on the injury report this week or if anyone saw him working on the sideline with trainers.

EDIT: I wanted to clarify that Preston Smith's skill set refers to cover ability.

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't notice that. If so, it was the 2nd game in a row. It is still on Mennenga though. The not getting to the runner.

Try watching again and see where the clock is at the kick at the point that Agnew starts his return, also watch St. Brown at the bottom of the screen. Frankly when watching the game I remember thinking that it was a shallow kick.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
right before a line drive kickoff wothout any hang time which put the lions right back into scoring position

Definitely not the best kickoff in his career, but there are 10 other players out there and just like most of the season, they sucked. Shawn M needs to go as soon as they think they have someone more capable.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Definitely not the best kickoff in his career, but there are 10 other players out there and just like most of the season, they sucked. Shawn M needs to go as soon as they think they have someone more capable.

I don't care if they don't think they have someone...just anyone. Coverage teams suck.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Don’t be so harsh on Martinez, Martinez is a much better player.

Martinez is a below average player. He makes a lot of tackles 3-5 yards down field. The Giants overpaid for him and I'm glad the Packers let him go. He's not a difference maker. Neither is Kirksey. The Packers once again need to address this position in the offseason.

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not saying there were no studs, but overall this was a workman-like performance across the board. They got the job done, a few good plays here, but mostly just fairly sound football. Although it was never in doubt, GB never really took them by the throat.

Or maybe Detroit is not as bad as I think they are.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The amount of confusion and passivity on that onside kick was enough to have me screaming while it was happening.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The amount of confusion and passivity on that onside kick was enough to have me screaming while it was happening.

Agreed and this again goes back to coaching. None of those guys seemed to know what they should do. Yet, this new technique of kicking the slow roller/spinner, with the goal of it going 10 yards has been employed by a number of teams this season. Jump on it or bat the damn ball out of bounds!

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed and this again goes back to coaching. None of those guys seemed to know what they should do. Yet, this new technique of kicking the slow roller/spinner, with the goal of it going 10 yards has been employed by a number of teams this season. Jump on it or bat the damn ball out of bounds!
Exactly... and they should all be armed with the knowledge that as the receiving team they have the advantage of not having to wait for the ball to go 10 yards.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Exactly... and they should all be armed with the knowledge that as the receiving team they gave the advantage of not having to wait for the ball to go 10 yards.

LOL.....I was frantically looking that up, seeing if it was correct, because I didn't want to sound like Shawn Mennenga and not know! It's really a new approach to onside kicks and early on it caught a few teams off guard and was successful. However, the film is out and I can't help but wonder if Mennenga doesn't watch film of other teams or he is just too distracted cashing paychecks.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly... and they should all be armed with the knowledge that as the receiving team they have the advantage of not having to wait for the ball to go 10 yards.
The blockers need to get out of the way while taking a player with them. Careful of the ball. I assume that is legal. And designate someone to jump on the ball or bat it out of bounds.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The blockers need to get out of the way while taking a player with them. Careful of the ball. I assume that is legal. And designate someone to jump on the ball or bat it out of bounds.

I'm still reading, but that is the tricky part with the new rules. I don't think the receiving team can engage in blocking until the kicking team crosses that 10 yard safety zone. Thus why this new strategy is tricky if you aren't fully aware of all the rules. I don't get paid to know them, but I know one coach in Green Bay that does and should.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The two biggest culprits in my mind appear to be St. Brown and Crosby. If St. Brown doesnt just play patty cake with his blocker and then get tossed to the sideline he probably forces Agnew more towards the middle and towards other defenders. Still probably a 30-35 yard return even if St. Brown did play that one adequately.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL.....I was frantically looking that up, seeing if it was correct, because I didn't want to sound like Shawn Mennenga and not know! It's really a new approach to onside kicks and early on it caught a few teams off guard and was successful. However, the film is out and I can't help but wonder if Mennenga doesn't watch film of other teams or he is just too distracted cashing paychecks.
Agreed about the rules... i’m not totally clear on all of them myself... for instance I knew that they had to wait the ten yards before blocking... but what is the remedy if they don’t... Re kick... or just yardage ....? same for illegal blocks like blocks in the back... holding etc... any of those that don’t allow a re kick... have at it.

Cheese Meister

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please don't yell at me, but I have a question about the game. In the 4th (?) quarter, when the Lions were slowly marching downfield to an eventual touchdown. the defense was committing numerous false starts and errors. Was this just being sloppy or was it on purpose to eat up the clock?

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Part of this goes back to TT. Unlike some teams we tend to not carry too many dedicated special teams players. Whereas some GMs like keeping standouts in that area for their performance TT and now Gute tend to prefer players who have more upside on either Offense or Defense and ST is treated like a dumping ground of sorts.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Please don't yell at me, but I have a question about the game. In the 4th (?) quarter, when the Lions were slowly marching downfield to an eventual touchdown. the defense was committing numerous false starts and errors. Was this just being sloppy or was it on purpose to eat up the clock?

Can't imagine it would be on purpose.

My biggest gripe about Pettine's defense is that they don't play smart, disciplined, or fundamentally sound football. I don't think his staff are particularly good at teaching the game.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't imagine it would be on purpose.

My biggest gripe about Pettine's defense is that they don't play smart, disciplined, or fundamentally sound football. I don't think his staff are particularly good at teaching the game.

Yeah it seemed like there were a number of bad contact and defensive holding calls that frankly could have been avoided with better technique, which in turn could be the difference between a punt and a new set of downs.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it seemed like they gave them 5 or 6 first downs on penalties that drive. I don't remember how many plays they had from in the redzone but it seemed like an entire drives worth of plays and time spent inside the 20.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The recently fired:

Matt Patricia

Gregg Williams

Paul Guenther

Lovie Smith

Anyone want any of these guys as the next DC in Green Bay?

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The recently fired:

Matt Patricia

Gregg Williams

Paul Guenther

Lovie Smith

Anyone want any of these guys as the next DC in Green Bay?

Let's get some young blood in here if we replace Pettine. I say enough to retreads. I want someone who runs mixed front schemes who alternates between even and odd front concepts who isn't afraid to play a lot of single high safety if Savage ever really shows an aptitude for it.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's get some young blood in here if we replace Pettine. I say enough to retreads. I want someone who runs mixed front schemes who alternates between even and odd front concepts who isn't afraid to play a lot of single high safety if Savage ever really shows an aptitude for it.

Got anybody in mind?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The clock stops on a penalty.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

No, since all of them, except the last one were committed when the clock wasn't even moving. Also, the refs stop the clock while the penalty is being discussed and marked off. This isn't a way for a defense to chew up more clock, really just the reverse, since it allows them to get down the field faster. Just a clear example of Pettine and his staff not coaching up his guys well. 12 penalties committed by the Packers and if I had to guess, at least half of them if not more on the defense.

Just that one 4th Q TD drive by the Lions saw these 5 penalties:
  • illegal hands to face: Randy Ramsey (5 yds. auto 1st down)
  • holding: Amos (5 yds. auto 1st down)
  • 12 men on the field (5 yds. this was right after the holding call)
  • holding: Kirksey (5 yds. auto 1st down)
  • holding: Kingy (5 yds. auto 1st down)

Members online

Latest posts