Studs and duds lions

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eh. Take a league average QB and this team is still in the playoff hunt.
Maybe you’re right, due to being in nfcn. But I don’t see it, below average defense and trash special teams play would probably ensure a losing record for this team. We’re number 1 seed in the nfc due to Rodgers near perfect play and elevating the play of everyone around him on offense. Where else can an udfa tight end who nobody outside of Green Bay has even heard of prior to this season, be tied at his position in touchdowns with Travis kelce. Not to mention making guys like Lazard and MVS look like serviceable number 2 and 3 wrs. Adams is a special talent, but Rodgers is helping to make him put up megatron type numbers. Rodgers has only had a qb rating below 124 five times this season, and 3 of them were losses, 4 times it was still above 107, which is well above league average. He’s had to be perfect.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
i mean, duh. But if not for Rodgers this team would not be in the playoffs. He is the mvp
Well duh. Of course he is the team’s mvp. He just isn’t the only good player on the team. We may have a WR, OT, C, K and CB that make the all pro team as well. We’ve got good players and good depth on this team.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It isn’t Rodgers alone that has played well this year. We’re getting big time contributions from players all over this roster.

Whatever, that receiver we drafted on Day 1 and also on Day 2 has done nothing....absolutely nothing I say LOL :)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe you’re right, due to being in nfcn. But I don’t see it, below average defense and trash special teams play would probably ensure a losing record for this team. We’re number 1 seed in the nfc due to Rodgers near perfect play and elevating the play of everyone around him on offense. Where else can an udfa tight end who nobody outside of Green Bay has even heard of prior to this season, be tied at his position in touchdowns with Travis kelce. Not to mention making guys like Lazard and MVS look like serviceable number 2 and 3 wrs. Adams is a special talent, but Rodgers is helping to make him put up megatron type numbers. Rodgers has only had a qb rating below 124 five times this season, and 3 of them were losses, 4 times it was still above 107, which is well above league average. He’s had to be perfect.

You are aware that while not a UDFA (a 5th) next to no one knew who George Kittle was before he EXPLODED??? Jimmy G must be a wizard....there are vastly too many items and variables to label an entire teams success is governed solely by the play or the decisions of one man- let's not be that naive. Let's also not be naive to believe without Rodgers we'd be in the same place as we are as well.

Also...Adams is arguably the first WR IMO Green Bay has had (Nelson maybe in his prime) in past ten years that I truly think delivers Pro Bowl numbers on ANY team in the ENTIRE league - yes he is that gifted.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are aware that while not a UDFA (a 5th) next to no one knew who George Kittle was before he EXPLODED??? Jimmy G must be a wizard....there are vastly too many items and variables to label an entire teams success is governed solely by the play or the decisions of one man- let's not be that naive. Let's also not be naive to believe without Rodgers we'd be in the same place as we are as well.

Also...Adams is arguably the first WR IMO Green Bay has had (Nelson maybe in his prime) in past ten years that I truly think delivers Pro Bowl numbers on ANY team in the ENTIRE league - yes he is that gifted.

yes, this teams entire success is because of Rodgers.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Yes, you are that naive then.

FTR - Rodgers is a MASSIVE part of our success....but let's not kid ourselves to the level of insanity.

This was kind of a fun read. Obviously, Rodgers is a huge part of the success of the team. He is an elite QB and that puts the Packers in play to win any game they are in. Football is also the ultimate team sport. Without that offensive line that they had this year Rodgers doesn't have the time to view the whole field and find the open guy. That group is also a reason why Rodgers is having a career year. He even said after one of his games on the McAfee show that he feels incredible for this time of the season. That it is nice to end a game with a clean jersey.

Overall, I feel like there can be more than one right answer. If Rodgers were gone, who flipping knows. It is an alternate universe to say that and not reality. The Packers have an outstanding offensive line that has been able to adapt around injury and Rodgers is playing lights out. The team has talent. Rodgers and Adams are the spoons that stir the pot.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, you are that naive then.

FTR - Rodgers is a MASSIVE part of our success....but let's not kid ourselves to the level of insanity.

there are 11 players on the field at any given moment, arguing semantics is lame, obviously Rodgers can’t play by himself. But Rodgers is the single largest reason this team is having success. Without him we’re fodder.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
there are 11 players on the field at any given moment, arguing semantics is lame, obviously Rodgers can’t play by himself. But Rodgers is the single largest reason this team is having success. Without him we’re fodder.

I think you can reasonably say that about all winning teams in the league. Take away any teams elite starting QB and they will play worse. The Saints have been lucky that their schedule is weak. Otherwise, I think they are "fodder" as well.

If you take Rodgers out of the equation this is a different team. I don't think they are dead and gone though. I think MLF would make adjustments and we would see a lot more of Jones and Williams. Also, they would scheme to get Adams the ball too. Would they be a Super Bowl contender? Probably not, but they would still challenge teams. Just my take on it and I just felt like jumping in here. I mean, why not right?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Irritating how some can use Rodgers brilliance as a player as a cover for certain front office mistakes. “sEe wErE gOoD rIgHt nOw sO wE dIdNt nEeD tO tRy gEt aNy BeTtEr tHis yEar”.

The offense's brilliance doesn't change what happened in May or make it a better/worse decision.

The calculus was always to make a long term investment instead of a short term one. Love it or hate it, that's what they decided to do.

So it's silly to say, "See, we're good now so we didn't need to try and get better in the draft."

But it's also silly to still be pissing and moaning about the draft in December when the team is 10-3 with a stellar offense.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Rodgers is the biggest factor in their success, as the QB is the biggest factor in any team's success. His elite play is giving a boost to everyone.

He still has an elite WR, one of the best OL's in the league, an excellent backfield, and one of the best offensive coach/playcallers going in the league right now.

The narrative that he doesn't have anything to support him is trash. He has a lot going for him. But because people are fixated on the secondary options at receiver, they can't or won't acknowledge that.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Back to Gary, I’m glad we are the type of team that doesn’t have to worry about forcing a 1st round pick into a role they probably aren’t ready for. That smacks of pathetic desperation to me.

That draft class had a small group of non-QB players who were widely considered to be blue chip talents who were also developed and ready to play well right away.

Nick Bosa, Quinnen Williams, Devin White, T.J. Hockenson, Ed Oliver, and Devin Bush.

Going into the draft, I was pretty confident that one of the latter four would be there for the Packers at #12. That ended up being incorrect, as the Steelers took the last one (Bush) right in front of Green Bay.

From that point, you were choosing between blue chip talent (e.g. Gary), and higher floor guys who were more prepared (e.g. Wilkins). They chose to take a big swing on the former, and bank on player development.

That's my take on how that draft unfolded.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is the biggest factor in their success, as the QB is the biggest factor in any team's success. His elite play is giving a boost to everyone.

He still has an elite WR, one of the best OL's in the league, an excellent backfield, and one of the best offensive coach/playcallers going in the league right now.

The narrative that he doesn't have anything to support him is trash. He has a lot going for him. But because people are fixated on the secondary options at receiver, they can't or won't acknowledge that.

Nobody said he doesn’t have anything to support him, just that the team would be fodder without him. Every team in the nfl has good players and good units, just as the packers do. It’s a league full of the best football players on earth. Teams like the dolphins, Steelers, rams, colts, browns, titans, Saints, bucs, hell even the chiefs, none of the good teams rely on their QB for success as much as the packers do, maybe only the Seahawks come close. The packers have below average defense, bad special teams, nobodies at wr outside of Adams, and I’m not as convinced as you are that we have an excellent backfield, if you look around the league without the green and gold tinted glasses, they look about average. One of the best coaches/playcallers is yet to be seen, we’ve seen Rodgers do this before, we haven’t seen LaFleur without Rodgers so I won’t speak on that part. All I’m saying is the only reason this team is winning is because Rodgers has been playing near perfect football, other teams around the league can get away with average play at QB, we can’t.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Adams performed well with Brett Hundley. I think he’s gonna be okay with any other QB.

Aaron Rodgers isn’t making Robert Tonyan open. I’d argue that’s more Tonyan and scheme, Rodgers is just getting him the ball.

Obviously Rodgers is going to make guys look better, but the scheme is making Rodgers look better too. Adams makes Rodgers look good just as much as Rodgers makes Adams look good, imo.

Finally, Rodgers is having his 2nd best year, ever, in his age 37 season. Perhaps some of the credit should go to his coach and teammates, huh?

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody said he doesn’t have anything to support him, just that the team would be fodder without him. Every team in the nfl has good players and good units, just as the packers do. It’s a league full of the best football players on earth. Teams like the dolphins, Steelers, rams, colts, browns, titans, Saints, bucs, hell even the chiefs, none of the good teams rely on their QB for success as much as the packers do, maybe only the Seahawks come close. The packers have below average defense, bad special teams, nobodies at wr outside of Adams, and I’m not as convinced as you are that we have an excellent backfield, if you look around the league without the green and gold tinted glasses, they look about average. One of the best coaches/playcallers is yet to be seen, we’ve seen Rodgers do this before, we haven’t seen LaFleur without Rodgers so I won’t speak on that part. All I’m saying is the only reason this team is winning is because Rodgers has been playing near perfect football, other teams around the league can get away with average play at QB, we can’t.

Have we seen Rodgers do this before?

We’ve seen him eclipse this year once, in 2011. He was throwing to Jordy, Greg Jenning, James Jones, Cobb, Driver, and Finley.

Give the coach and supporting cast some credit here.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We’ve seen him eclipse this year once, in 2011. He was throwing to Jordy, Greg Jenning, James Jones, Cobb, Driver, and Finley.

well people don’t refer to Rodgers as the goat for no reason.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@gopkrs

Instead of clicking a red 'x', why don't you go back and show me the level minded person that wanted someone fired over the 2020 draft.

But of course you'll probably red x this post too like a petulant child.
Didn't need to say anything. I disagreed with your statement. But when I read the statement; I thought you were talking about Pettine and Menninga this year. And that is what I was disagreeing with. I guess you were talking about the draft. Which could really only mean Gute I guess.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Didn't need to say anything. I disagreed with your statement. But when I read the statement; I thought you were talking about Pettine and Menninga this year. And that is what I was disagreeing with. I guess you were talking about the draft. Which could really only mean Gute I guess.
Well you see...

When you actually have a discussion about your disagreement (on a message board, mind you) as opposed to clicking a red 'x', you can understand what others are actually saying. Hope this makes sense.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

It's mostly the scheme and Rodgers. The talent isn't elite top to bottom.

LaFleur and Rodgers has been a great marriage so far, but guys like Lazard, MVS, Tonyan, etc., while playing their role and performing well, aren't doing anything off the charts. This is all about the best quarterback in the history of the NFL (in my opinion), and a coach scheming guys open.

Put guys like Jordy, Jennings, Cobb, etc. on this squad with the way Rodgers is dealing, and it would be the most productive offense in the history of the NFL.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's mostly the scheme and Rodgers. The talent isn't elite top to bottom.

LaFleur and Rodgers has been a great marriage so far, but guys like Lazard, MVS, Tonyan, etc., while playing their role and performing well, aren't doing anything off the charts. This is all about the best quarterback in the history of the NFL (in my opinion), and a coach scheming guys open.

Put guys like Jordy, Jennings, Cobb, etc. on this squad with the way Rodgers is dealing, and it would be the most productive offense in the history of the NFL.

I’m not saying all the guys are elite top to bottom, just that they aren’t scrubs either. There is talent there.

And for the record, the OL is very, very, good. The RB’s are very good. Obviously Rodgers is the driving force and without him the Packers are not a SB contender, but I still think they would be in play for the playoffs. That’s all I’m saying. The roster isn’t terrible.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I’m not saying all the guys are elite top to bottom, just that they aren’t scrubs either. There is talent there.

And for the record, the OL is very, very, good. The RB’s are very good. Obviously Rodgers is the driving force and without him the Packers are not a SB contender, but I still think they would be in play for the playoffs. That’s all I’m saying. The roster isn’t terrible.
It's not terrible, but not great either.

Imagine this supporting cast in McCarthy's offense...it would be a disaster. The two most critical elements of the success of the Packers offense is Rodgers and LaFleur.

Davante is a flat out stud and would produce in any offense. Jones is really good. Williams is solid. Lazard and MVS are okay. Tonyan is ascending, but far from a true difference maker at this point. I think we've been so starved of solid TE production over the years that it looks like he's setting the world on fire when really he's playing a role and doing it well. Without really diving into the tape every week, I would say it's more a product of the attention that Davante demands.

Like you said, not terrible. I'll agree with that. But this is a Rodgers/LaFleur thing far more than it's attributable to anything else.

EDIT: and yes...the offensive line has been incredible. Cannot emphasize enough the difference that makes. That helps supporting players be more productive as well though, as Rodgers is able to get through his progressions to get those guys some looks.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I agree that the team rests really heavily on the offense as a whole. The defense and ST units are not good. But I disagree with you about how much help Rodgers has.

The Packers do have an excellent backfield. Both Jones and Williams are solid runners, but much more important for Rodgers they are both good in the passing game and they are both excellent in blitz pickup. Rodgers has been ridiculously clean this year. That is in part due to the running backs that ride side car with him. It's also down to how good his offensive line is.

The best play-calling is not yet to be seen because we are literally seeing it every week. LaFleur is creating easy offense. And Rodgers is executing it brilliantly. That's no guarantee that LaFleur will be able to continually evolve and maintain what he's doing, but for the time being, he's doing it.

Members online

Latest posts