Studs and duds lions

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This game highlighted a couple of my gripes about the league in general.

1) If you hit a QB hard, they're going to call a penalty. It doesn't matter if it's legal or not. There was nothing wrong with that tackle of Stafford. But he got shook up so it's a flag. If they don't want to get hit, they should just drop and go fetal. Put a red jersey on them already...

2) Replay is stupid. Marvin Jones caught the ball. It was very close and the ref missed it. But never fear, we have replay review! They watched it, it was a catch, and they still blew the call. So we stopped watching football for 7 minutes so that they could confirm their wrong call. Just get rid of replay and get rid of review.
That was a flag on the stafford rib hit?

• 3rd & 4 at GB 11
    (7:07 - 4th) (Shotgun) M.Stafford scrambles left tackle to GB 5 for 6 yards (K.Clark). PENALTY on GB-K.King, Defensive Holding, 3 yards, enforced at GB 5.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Watching LaFleur's press conference, they asked him about the thought process behind letting Crosby try the 58 yarder. He mentioned that Mennenga was getting ready to send the punt unit out, and LaFleur halted it, looked at Crosby and said "can you hit this?" and Crosby simply said "yes". So LaFleur overruled essentially and sent out the FG unit.

Obviously if Crosby misses the kick there's some criticism that comes into play, but I think this example speaks to how much of a player's coach LaFleur is. He's really asserting himself and his confidence as the head guy for this team I think continues to blossom every day.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The offense converted 73 percent of its third downs, a season-high and the Packers' best since the win over the Houston Texans in Week 7.
Watching LaFleur's press conference, they asked him about the thought process behind letting Crosby try the 58 yarder. He mentioned that Mennenga was getting ready to send the punt unit out, and LaFleur halted it, looked at Crosby and said "can you hit this?" and Crosby simply said "yes". So LaFleur overruled essentially and sent out the FG unit.

Obviously if Crosby misses the kick there's some criticism that comes into play, but I think this example speaks to how much of a player's coach LaFleur is. He's really asserting himself and his confidence as the head guy for this team I think continues to blossom every day.

If Crosby misses it, we all blame Mennenga. ;)

Speaking of missed kicks, how about those Vikings and yet another kicker ******** them up. Bailey was wide left on his extra-point attempt after the Vikings' first-quarter touchdown and and pushed three consecutive field goals to the right from 36, 54 and 46 yards out. :laugh::roflmao::laugh::roflmao::laugh:

Just in case anyone is keeping track at home. Bailey was signed this year to a 3 year $10M contract. I'm fine with the Packers paying Crosby just under a million more per season than Bailey.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is obvious hyperbole.... but anytime Lefleur has an inkling to overrule Mennenga about pretty much anything.... he should do it.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me Crosby was a stud and a dud. Yes he hit a 58 yarder to make it a 2 score game with minutes left, right before a line drive kickoff wothout any hang time which put the lions right back into scoring position.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

MVS
AR
Rashan Gary
Kenny Clark
Darnell Savage
Mean Dean Lowry
Bak
Jenkins and Patrick

Duds

Christian kirksey
Defensive scheme and player rotations

Now I could be wrong but it seemed like our defense was more effective whenever Gary was on the field and it seemed like he was off the field for long stretches, especially during Detroit's longer drives. I say play the man more.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

MVS
AR
Rashan Gary
Kenny Clark
Darnell Savage
Mean Dean Lowry
Bak
Jenkins and Patrick

Duds

Christian kirksey

Now I could be wrong but it seemed like our defense was more effective whenever Gary was on the field and it seemed like he was off the field for long stretches, especially during Detroit's longer drives. I say play the man more.
This is a classic example of a fan forming an opinion without knowing the facts. According to Lefleur, Gary was battling with some kind of injury that ultimately caused them to have to pull him off the field.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
An interesting nugget:

The Packers have score 30+ points in 10 of their 13 games so far this season. This has never happened in the first 13 games of a season in the Rodgers era, and the only time in the Rodgers era that the Packers have went for 30+ that many times in a 16 game season is 2011 (when they did it 10 times).

It's been done 10 times already with 3 games to go.

This offense has been insanely good, but I had no idea it has been so superb in comparison to other Rodgers led teams over the years.
Impossible. We don't have a round 1-3 rookie WR on the team. :whistling:
But I am glad to see AR12 finally has some completions to a first round WR on his resume.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
An interesting nugget:

The Packers have score 30+ points in 10 of their 13 games so far this season. This has never happened in the first 13 games of a season in the Rodgers era, and the only time in the Rodgers era that the Packers have went for 30+ that many times in a 16 game season is 2011 (when they did it 10 times).

It's been done 10 times already with 3 games to go.

This offense has been insanely good, but I had no idea it has been so superb in comparison to other Rodgers led teams over the years.
How can this possibly be? We don’t have that highly coveted #2 WR and outside of Adams we have without a doubt the worst receiving corps in the history of the NFL! ........... or so I’ve read countless times this fall.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
This is a classic example of a fan forming an opinion without knowing the facts. According to Lefleur, Gary was battling with some kind of injury that ultimately caused them to have to pull him off the field.
What?!?!?! Fans without facts???? How can that be????

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

That was a pretty mild, measured opinion to warrant this scolding about not having the facts. It's not like he was lambasting the coaching staff or calling someone an idiot.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I've defended this dude in the past, but I'm done. He's Martinez 2.0. He's out of place and slow to the ball. He gone!

He's definitely not as good as Martinez.

I thought it was a savvy signing because if he returned to form he could have been a great value. But post injury, he isn't the same guy at all.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's definitely not as good as Martinez.

I thought it was a savvy signing because if he returned to form he could have been a great value. But post injury, he isn't the same guy at all.

This ^^^ 100%. Kirksey of old is not the Kirksey we got. It was a dice roll worth rolling i would argue tho still. I like our interior more with Barnes out there.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

In that case then I was wrong, and I acknowledged the possibility in the post.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
How can this possibly be? We don’t have that highly coveted #2 WR and outside of Adams we have without a doubt the worst receiving corps in the history of the NFL! ........... or so I’ve read countless times this fall.

I think there is a lot that would agree they are better than everyone thought. I think there are also a lot that would agree we could have still used some upgrades that would have helped make this offense even more potent. I'll admit that I'm pleasantly surprised and super stoked to see where this goes.

I have the same duds that everyone else does. The defense and special teams. It's late into the season so most likely they are who they are. The offense will have to score 30+ and the defense/special teams will have to just be at least average.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me Crosby was a stud and a dud. Yes he hit a 58 yarder to make it a 2 score game with minutes left, right before a line drive kickoff wothout any hang time which put the lions right back into scoring position.

If Mason doesn't make the tackle (Scott could learn a thing or 2 here) the ***** score the TD there. If you have to depend upon your kicker to make tackles you have bigger problems than that on ST.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Mason doesn't make the tackle, unlike Scott, the ***** score the TD there. If you have to depend upon your kicker to make tackles you have bigger problems than that on ST.

Half of the coverage has to do with the kick or punt. If a kicker boots a line drive without hang time odds are likely that the return man will have some big holes to run through which well he did. I didn't use a stop watch but if the average NFL hangtime for kickoffs is 4.4 seconds I'd say that Crosby's was about a second less.

The first Packer defender to even get close to Agnew didnt occur until the 20 yard line at which point Agnew was pretty much at full speed with a big hole ahead of him. St. Brown didn't help with his lackluster engagement of a return team blocker and then managed to get turned aside opening an even bigger gap. Go watch the highlight if you dont believe me.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

MVS
AR
Rashan Gary
Kenny Clark
Darnell Savage
Mean Dean Lowry
Bak
Jenkins and Patrick

Duds

Christian kirksey

Also, it seems like ever since LaFleur told Pettine no more 3 man rushes; Pettine lines up four when he wants his 3 man rush, but one or two of them just kind of sit back and don't really rush. Now I agree against most QBs you should try and contain. But Pettine is only giving the QB time. Don't get me wrong...I don't want to blitz every time. But pressure is good.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is obvious hyperbole.... but anytime Lefleur has an inkling to overrule Mennenga about pretty much anything.... he should do it.
Agree but the problem with Mennenga is that something is wrong with the scheme when players are running downfield for the tackle on kick-offs. And them looking confused on onside kicks...well they should be better prepared.