Studs and Duds Lion game

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
A special OMG what the hell where you doing DUD award for the right side of the Packers OL on the safety. Backed up at their one yard line the call was for a run to the right. They had three blockers for (only) three defenders so it shouldn’t have been a problem. As the play starts, Bulaga goes inside to block the defender over Lang. This is the opposite of a reach block – Bulaga has the angle on an easy block but almost misses him – his guy didn’t make the tackle but Bulaga ends up on the turf and the defender going toward the ball. It looks like Bulaga is surprised the defender took a step forward. Lang goes behind Bulaga in a little pulling action. There are two defenders, one TE Rodgers is engaged with and the other to Lang’s inside – the LB who makes the tackle because he is virtually unblocked. Lang acts as if he didn’t see him – he barely touches him. I really don’t know what the hell Lang was thinking – how could he not look immediately to the inside? TE Rodgers looks like he’s blocking for a pass. He stands up and is pushed back into Lacy taking three steps back where Lacy runs into him. If Lang had done his job, Bulaga’s guy may have made the tackle but it looks to me like Lacy would’ve gotten out of the EZ. If only TE Rodgers had screwed up, Lacy could have lowered his head and gone inside of that “block” and gotten out of the EZ. What a complete cluster schtoop! It wasn't the play call on this one - it was the embarrassing lack of execution of 3 OL, two of whom are supposed to be "good".
http://www.packers.com/media-center...a-safety/1972a5e5-db17-452a-831d-e87389bb0538 ....
Looks to me like Rodgers got driven back too far. Lacy was supposed to be able to bounce it outside with Lang leading. With Rodgers pushed back into Lang's and Lacy's path the play was blown up and Levy just cleaned up. Jones? made the play happen by overpowering Rodgers.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Looks to me like Rodgers got driven back too far. Lacy was supposed to be able to bounce it outside with Lang leading. With Rodgers pushed back into Lang's and Lacy's path the play was blown up and Levy just cleaned up. Jones? made the play happen by overpowering Rodgers.
Rodgers did get driven back too far but look at how Levy came in virtually untouched. That's on Lang IMO.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Is it me or have Arod forgot how to dump the ball off, take what the D gives you.

No it's not just you. I have seen times where he could of ran for the first as well.

Here is the thing, when he completes those shots down field everyone cheers and he is great but when he starts missing a few the second guessing starts.

I really hope he gets himself back. This whole offense and "75 play" hype has me disappointed right now. Bears D coming up next and I can't think of a better D to get your 'Mojo" back against.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Like to see I formation runs...Seems like a lot are out of one back set..or am I wrong?

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you seen how Denver uses Montee Ball? I'd love to do some of that creative stuff with Lacy. Sometimes Ball gets a handoff, sometimes he goes out for a route, and sometimes he acts like he's going out for a route and Denver throws a short pass with him as a blocker. I think Lacy could do all of that.

Lacy has been working on the passing game..

I think the team started to call him Moss---yes after Randy Moss

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Have you seen how Denver uses Montee Ball? I'd love to do some of that creative stuff with Lacy. Sometimes Ball gets a handoff, sometimes he goes out for a route, and sometimes he acts like he's going out for a route and Denver throws a short pass with him as a blocker. I think Lacy could do all of that.

I've been saying for three weeks now I would like to see Lacy "behind the quarterback" with some "I" and "off -set I" formations. Get his *** going up field with some juice. It seems to me McCarthy is playing him like he is a "Shady McCoy" or a "Darren Sproles". Lacy going sideways isn't pretty.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been saying for three weeks now I would like to see Lacy "behind the quarterback" with some "I" and "off -set I" formations. Get his *** going up field with some juice. It seems to me McCarthy is playing him like he is a "Shady McCoy" or a "Darren Sproles". Lacy going sideways isn't pretty.
So we arent the only ones

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
So we arent the only ones

No. I posted somewhere else on here that Lacy's "body of work" isn't best designed to be played back in shotgun all the time as it takes him a couple steps to get going. If the blocking is great or were playing a crappy run defense then fine we can get away with it, but when your trying to grind it out and establish the run against good run defenses he is best behind the QB with lead blocker IMO. Throw some TE's in there. Then spread them out and smash em.

This whole offense has been a disaster so far IMO other then a "highlight game" from Jordy. We ran the ball last year and didn't have Bulaga so I don't blame the O-line. We even have Harris now to go along with Lacy and Starks now.

McCarthy has the pieces and needs to get it together ASAP.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It makes no sense to me to run a "high octane finesse offense" with a "slower power running back" against good front sevens. In fact it has looked kind of stupid.

I'd even be excited to see them throw in some "read option" with Lacy like the Seahawks do with Lynch. Anything at this point other then these "school girl run plays" they keep running over and over. Mix it up and quite being so predictable. Just do something. It's like everybody in the Stadium knew we were running and where we were going with it Sunday.

Last edited:
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Its Tuesday morning here and I FINALLY got to see the game. Some have already discussed something wrong mentally with the team and the relationship between MM and AR. While I was watching the game, there were more than one occasion when it was clearly shown MM talking about something in the playbook with Flynn and Rodgers, and Rodgers wasn`t or didn`t appear to be paying any attention at all.
Do you think there is anything in that, or is it just me ????

D

Deleted member 6794

Its Tuesday morning here and I FINALLY got to see the game. Some have already discussed something wrong mentally with the team and the relationship between MM and AR. While I was watching the game, there were more than one occasion when it was clearly shown MM talking about something in the playbook with Flynn and Rodgers, and Rodgers wasn`t or didn`t appear to be paying any attention at all.

I think Rodgers hasn´t trusted McCarthy completely for several years as of now, but the success the offense has had covered up a lot of that. If they continue to not being succesful the relationship between the two has the potential of going downhill pretty fast.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's just a gut feeling, but I sense a rift between the two.

wingrider47

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dud, AJ Hawk continues to whiff on tackles and so does Burnett.

Also Lacy, offensive line, all receivers except Nelson. Quarless played like a stud.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I am totally convinced at this point that McCarthy is defending his scheme and Rodgers saw reason to make adjustments. I am with Rodgers. McCarthy's scheme sucked.

I

A coach like Capers, on the other hand, doesn't even get his job put into question. In fact, MM goes out of his way to embarrass reporters at times for even asking about his coaching staff

This is what I meant earlier on the other thread about leadership. We mostly think Capers is useless. The press may say and think he is useless, but McCarthy stands up for his man and defends him almost. THAT to me is leadership. JMHO

I

Okay, but then it isn't leadership to throw your players under the bus, is it? Personally, I think the best leadership is equal accountability for everyone.

I can`t argue with you on that point. He was wrong to do that, but the principle is sound.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what I meant earlier on the other thread about leadership. We mostly think Capers is useless. The press may say and think he is useless, but McCarthy stands up for his man and defends him almost. THAT to me is leadership. JMHO

MM has great loyalty to his coaching hires. It's an admirable trait, but not when it's hurting the club. It's tough to fire anyone, but sometimes change is needed. I'd like to see us have a dominant running game, and a top 5 defense, but it appears coaching change on both sides of the ball will be required to achieve those goals. Unless there's a remarkable change from a bad start to the season, TT will be facing some tough decisions at the end of the year.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I'd like to see us have a dominant running game, and a top 5 defense, but it appears coaching change on both sides of the ball will be required to achieve those goals.
Or better talent. For example, at least some Packers fans made the assumption this would be one of the best OLs in Green Bay for some time. I believe McCarthy said something like that too. The depth of the OL was also praised. But at not quite the quarter pole of the season it looks like the "great depth" boiled down to one player, Barclay. And the good/very good/great OL didn't do much to get the running game going against a team who played 6 men in the box.

IMO a coaching change on D has a better chance at succeeding because the scheme Capers prefers works best with experienced players and the philosophy of the GM and HC is draft and develop. It is often said its easier to replace a coach than a bunch of players. That's true, but my point is just a coaching change - at the OL, OC, DC, or even HC guarantees nothing. The problems so far this season could be mainly talent or they could be mainly coaching. More likely they are the result a more balanced combination of the two.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Before the season when the talent of the Packers OL was being praised, the Packers were counting on a player who had never taken a snap from scrimmage to start at OC. Yes Linsley has proven to be pretty good but counting upon a 5th round draft pick as a part of good or great depth doesn't make any sense: As I posted, the preseason praise for depth boiled down to Barclay. The Packers haven't suffered injuries to their #1 and #2 OTs - Bakhtiari is healthy. If you think Sherrod deserves one of those spots that's based upon draft status only. He never came close to being the #2 OT before he got injured and of course isn't there now.

The Packers OL did not play like it had plenty of talent against the Lions. Even when the Lions put only 6 men in the box.

Latest posts