Studs and Duds Lion game

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs- Basically the entire defense, minus Tramon Williams' two penalties, Starks, Nelson played fine but that was about it for the offense.

Duds- The whole offense besides Starks and Nelson. MM, Rodgers especially. Play calling was very suspect and Rodgers just sucked. Does he not know how to scramble anymore? He could have picked up numerous yards a few times.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds:

Aaron. Dude looks lost out there. Taking sacks and consistently going for the deep ball rather than the open wide receiver.

Lacy. This guy doesn't run as hard as he did last year. It shows when MM has to put Starks in there to have a down hill runner. Lacy is dancing like Bjax.

Studs:

Capers. I'll give him some credit for being the only coach to prepare his side of the ball this week.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offense too good to not figure this out. If defense keeps up its play from the last 6 quarters, or is even close to that, this team will be good.

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds: the offense. They looked awful. No rhythm, no creativity, no urgency. Rodgers holds the ball too long over and over. Offensive line not opening holes. Receivers not getting free. Playcalling bland and uninspired. Receivers not getting to the first down marker. RBs cutting back or dancing around instead of making a simple 2-yard gain for a first down. Did I mention poor playcalling? And Rodgers accuracy has really, really been off this season.

Studs: the defense until they got too tired from being on the field with their offense actually creating points for the other team.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds:

Aaron. Dude looks lost out there. Taking sacks and consistently going for the deep ball rather than the open wide receiver.

Lacy. This guy doesn't run as hard as he did last year. It shows when MM has to put Starks in there to have a down hill runner. Lacy is dancing like Bjax.

Studs:

Capers. I'll give him some credit for being the only coach to prepare his side of the ball this week.

I wouldn't say Lacy isn't running hard, but he seems to run much differently than last year.

He keeps trying to make cuts and bounce it instead of just pounding it forward.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Studs: Ha Ha Clinton Dix,House,Peppers

Duds:Lacy,Offense

MAJOR DUD:Aaron Rodgers

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it me or are we struggling with the no huddle?

Studs: no one on offense.

Duds: Everyone today. I did not see anything with exception of peppers strip sack fumble recovery.

If not for 2 Detroit mistakes in the red zone this would have been a 4 score beating.

Play calling: horrible. HORRIBLE. Both sides of the ball. On offense, complete trash play calling, did not exploit their weaknesses with no coverage players. Instead we try to force a square peg in a round hole by running to their strength on dline.

Situational play calling: again horrible. Calling a t.o. with 25 seconds left for a 3rd down where they are trying to head into halftime almost burned us. Bad. One of the worst calls of the game. Defensive calls were all suspect. I saw one catch that was challenged by our d, as we simply let them run through zone d ( again, this is a trend).

Each time I see McCarthy on the sideline with his "wtf" face complaining to a ref, I want to break my TV. Not only does he get out coached, but he looks like he does not comprehend the reason why he's being out coached.

End of the game: same as week 1, we know what they are going to do and simply cannot stop it.

Its going to be a long season.

Keep in mind: we spotted the jets... THE JETS! a 2 score lead, and had to fight to get back, and STILL tried to hand that game away at the end.

Something looks spoiled on our team, across the board, and I'm not sure what it is... It seems to be spreading

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it me or are we struggling with the no huddle?

Studs: no one on offense.

Duds: Everyone today. I did not see anything with exception of peppers strip sack fumble recovery.

If not for 2 Detroit mistakes in the red zone this would have been a 4 score beating.

Play calling: horrible. HORRIBLE. Both sides of the ball. On offense, complete trash play calling, did not exploit their weaknesses with no coverage players. Instead we try to force a square peg in a round hole by running to their strength on dline.

Situational play calling: again horrible. Calling a t.o. with 25 seconds left for a 3rd down where they are trying to head into halftime almost burned us. Bad. One of the worst calls of the game. Defensive calls were all suspect. I saw one catch that was challenged by our d, as we simply let them run through zone d ( again, this is a trend).

Each time I see McCarthy on the sideline with his "wtf" face complaining to a ref, I want to break my TV. Not only does he get out coached, but he looks like he does not comprehend the reason why he's being out coached.

End of the game: same as week 1, we know what they are going to do and simply cannot stop it.

Its going to be a long season.

Keep in mind: we spotted the jets... THE JETS! a 2 score lead, and had to fight to get back, and STILL tried to hand that game away at the end.

Something looks spoiled on our team, across the board, and I'm not sure what it is... It seems to be spreading

The defense gave up only 10 points. You kind of missed that in your analysis.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Detroit Lions.
Duds: Green Bay Packers.
Especially whoever keeps on insisting that the Pack hand off on 1st and 2nd downs even after the run keeps getting stopped.

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Defense. You can only hold megaton and company for so long. They did their job.

Duds:
Rodgers. Just didn't look himself at all.
Lacy. Gave up 9 points to the Lions (no help from playcalling on the safety)
Just go ahead and add the entire offense. This is a game that needs to just be forgotten about.

maxlives

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a sneaking suspicion the coaches got into Lacy's head and have him thinking about avoiding future concussions instead of running with authority. Hope that gets corrected soon.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
studs: James starks, lattimore , Peppers, Dix, D-Line, jordy,Quarless,Clay
Duds:O-line, MM, A-rod, lacy, boykin
I don't blame entire offense because Quarless, jordy and james starks did good with their opportunities.Te Defense mika hyde let that reggie bush touchdown happen he was there but he let outside contain go, Aj hawk continues to misread gaps and cant get off blocks and sam shield had not so good of a game.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense gave up only 10 points. You kind of missed that in your analysis.
Disagree. Defense looked out manned most of the game. We lucked into a pop up int. ,grabbed a double coverage overthrown pass at the 1, and peppers play.

Defense looked better, not good. Still allowed them to run all day. Still gave up 3rd down plays all day. Still stayed in a consistent zone coverage with little pressure all day. Missed assignments throughout the secondary, or late getting to the zone all day.

When the offense is on, we can compete, even dominate with that type of d play. When the offense is off like today, its bad. We can never seem to play good offense and also decent defense, or vice versa.

It seems like week in and out, there is a giant hole somewhere. When they do put a solid game together,we seem to give up ST fumbles in the red zone for the opponents, or blow coverage for a TD or long runback to negate the kick.

I'm just scratching my head as to why we always seems off, and why we always seem to do the opposite of what any other team would do in a given situation.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Disagree. Defense looked out manned most of the game. We lucked into a pop up int. ,grabbed a double coverage overthrown pass at the 1, and peppers play.

Defense looked better, not good. Still allowed them to run all day. Still gave up 3rd down plays all day. Still stayed in a consistent zone coverage with little pressure all day. Missed assignments throughout the secondary, or late getting to the zone all day.

When the offense is on, we can compete, even dominate with that type of d play. When the offense is off like today, its bad. We can never seem to play good offense and also decent defense, or vice versa.

It seems like week in and out, there is a giant hole somewhere. When they do put a solid game together,we seem to give up ST fumbles in the red zone for the opponents, or blow coverage for a TD or long runback to negate the kick.

I'm just scratching my head as to why we always seems off, and why we always seem to do the opposite of what any other team would do in a given situation.

Would they have needed to pitch a shutout for you to be happy with the defense?

It's easy to point out a few mistakes and call it bad, but the bottom line is the 10 points even with the offense not keeping the ball.

D

Deleted member 6794

I was disappointed by the offense as everyone else. Normally I'm not questioning play calling because I don't have any idea about the specific call on a play. BUT somebody has to explain the reason behind giving Lacy the ball on the play that resulted in the safety to me. EVERYBODY, imcluding my 13-year old daughter (who has never watched a single game of football) knew the Packers would hand off the ball to Lacy, why not call a play action pass on that one??? I'm quite sure Nelson would have been able to turn a short pass into a 99 yard TD.

Last edited by a moderator:

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would they have needed to pitch a shutout for you to be happy with the defense?

It's easy to point out a few mistakes and call it bad, but the bottom line is the 10 points even with the offense not keeping the ball.
I don't need a shutout. I need consistent play. The only thing we do consistently on defense is get beat. Usually on 3rd down. Usually with a catch where no one is near the receiver. Usually with more than 8 yds to go.

Here is our stat line:

238 in the air
115 on the ground
Almost doubled us up time of possession
2 sacks, 2 tackles on top for a loss. 2 gimme picks (popup and overthrow).

That's the knuckle down defense you strive for? Not me.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/gamecast?gameId=400554244&version=mobile

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't need a shutout. I need consistent play. The only thing we do consistently on defense is get beat. Usually on 3rd down. Usually with a catch where no one is near the receiver. Usually with more than 8 yds to go.

Here is our stat line:

238 in the air
115 on the ground
Almost doubled us up time of possession
2 sacks, 2 tackles on top for a loss. 2 gimme picks (popup and overthrow).

That's the knuckle down defense you strive for? Not me.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/gamecast?gameId=400554244&version=mobile

Time of possession was mostly from our offense not staying on the field.

Consistently get beat? We must have been watching a different game today.

Anytime you play a very good offense like the Lions and only give up 10 points, it's a win. Some inconsistencies does not overrule that.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
duds: everyone who picked us to win haha. Jk the offense scores 7 points against the Lions?? Wow. ARod stunk And MM is the most overrated coach in the division. The SB had more to do with capers and the defense then him. Tired of seeing the IHOP menu.

Studs : the ppl who said we would lose to. Detroit because this team isn't as good as we thought they would be. Truth hurts

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Time of possession was mostly from our offense not staying on the field.

Consistently get beat? We must have been watching a different game today.

Anytime you play a very good offense like the Lions and only give up 10 points, it's a win. Some inconsistencies does not overrule that.
Feel free to keep arguing with me, but I'm certain that the stat line says it. Oh, and that was our "good game" on D.

Numbers can be skewed to whatever you want them to be, but I've seen this d for a long time, and you are arguing for the d that let them go down the field over and over, uncovered, missing tackles in the backfield that result in 7 yd gains, and your defense is " but they only scored 10".

And again, with the loss, you are saying this was a good showing? We must have watched different games for the last few years in that case, indeed.

Because this looks like the same bad defense and bad play calling I have seen for years, only that the offense on the other side made the mistakes to not add to the score.

We did not force their mistakes... They did. Very easily could have lost by 10+ more based on nothing more than them making bad plays, not us stopping them.

Members online

Latest posts