Studs and Duds Lion game

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Feel free to keep arguing with me, but I'm certain that the stat line says it. Oh, and that was our "good game" on D.

Numbers can be skewed to whatever you want them to be, but I've seen this d for a long time, and you are arguing for the d that let them go down the field over and over, uncovered, missing tackles in the backfield that result in 7 yd gains, and your defense is " but they only scored 10".

And again, with the loss, you are saying this was a good showing? We must have watched different games for the last few years in that case, indeed.

Because this looks like the same bad defense and bad play calling I have seen for years, only that the offense on the other side made the mistakes to not add to the score.

We did not force their mistakes... They did. Very easily could have lost by 10+ more based on nothing more than them making bad plays, not us stopping them.

I'm not skewing any numbers. No matter what your stat line says, 10 points if by far the most important, which you chose to exclude.

Peppers also forced the fumble, House have a diving pick in good coverage, and Stafford was under pressure during the other pick.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're ignoring 3 turnovers created by the defense and holding Stafford to a 61.6 passer rating. The defense simply got worn out because the Packers offense couldn't hold the ball.

Look at the 1st quarter drives for Seattle: 5 plays (punt), 3 plays (punt), and 6 plays (interception).
Then the 2nd quarter drives for Seattle: 5 plays (interception), then the Packers give up a Safety on the first play, and Seattle goes 13 plays for a FG, and the defense starts getting tired. The defense had even held the Lions on the last drive until MM called a stupid timeout, which created an 8 play missed FG drive. That wore the defense out even more.

We come out in the 3rd quarter, and the defense gives up a 14 play drive, but they get the fumble. In the 4th quarter there is nothing left in the defense and the Lions go 10 plays for a TD and 12 plays to end the game. It was pretty clear the defense did well but got worn down.
I guess I'm confused on how those drives ( both extended on multiple 3rd and long plays ) are not on the defenses ability to play good D. A 13 play drive and a 14 play drive.

Without pulling the stats, my memory is at least 5 of this 27 plays on 3rd and more than 5. If your defense is that this is not the defenses fault, than who's fault would that be?

Again, this is not knee jerk... This is normal for this defense. Playing a "par" game for this defense simply due to it being better than our normal "double bogey" games does not make a stud.

Just a less ugly dud.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not skewing any numbers. No matter what your stat line says, 10 points if by far the most important, which you chose to exclude.

Peppers also forced the fumble, House have a diving pick in good coverage, and Stafford was under pressure during the other pick.

No. Win or loss is the most important stat line. We lost, regardless of if we played average as opposed to mediocre.

Its not my stat line... It is the stat line.

Let me ask this:

Are you excited for our 3rd down D? Or do you assume that the other team will find a way to get the first down, or like today a long touchdown?

Based on what I have seen, I just assume now that we are unable to stop them. I am actually pleasantly surprised when we do.

You don't have to answer, just think about it. We should not need to accept or expect that 3rd and 7 is automatically going to become 1st and 10.

Also, other teams look at us the same, which is why we see other teams going for it on 4th down against us while they are leading in the game.

Its average players on D that are often exposed as average. I just refuse to excuse it when average player play above average and we still lose.

H

HardRightEdge

Disagree. Defense looked out manned most of the game. We lucked into a pop up int. ,grabbed a double coverage overthrown pass at the 1, and peppers play.

Defense looked better, not good. Still allowed them to run all day. Still gave up 3rd down plays all day. Still stayed in a consistent zone coverage with little pressure all day. Missed assignments throughout the secondary, or late getting to the zone all day.

When the offense is on, we can compete, even dominate with that type of d play. When the offense is off like today, its bad. We can never seem to play good offense and also decent defense, or vice versa.

It seems like week in and out, there is a giant hole somewhere. When they do put a solid game together,we seem to give up ST fumbles in the red zone for the opponents, or blow coverage for a TD or long runback to negate the kick.

I'm just scratching my head as to why we always seems off, and why we always seem to do the opposite of what any other team would do in a given situation.
I agree the defense was not as effective as the score would indicate. Beginning late in the second quarter, the Lions put up consecutive drives of 43, 67, 74 and 75 yards, then ran the clock down to zero with a 12 play possession. In fact, after about the first 4 minutes of the game the Lions were never stopped on downs.

The offense was dreadful, however, failing to capitalize on winning the turnover battle. Perhaps too much Munn Juice was left back in the hotel room. Rory McIlroy might be able to provide some counsel on the matter.

I knew this was not a very good football team, but if McCarthy and Rodgers are not going to bring their "A" games my 10-5-1 projection can't possibly hold up. Things should start clicking by game 3, and they are not.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dud: MM- That was as horse%*^ of an offensive game plan as I have ever seen. There is no reason for this offense to not have the ability to exploit the Detroit secondary. Rodgers had time. Awful.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right, 3rd down efficiency wasn't good. Detroit was 11/18. That one stat doesn't mean the defense played badly, though.

If you want to talk about W's and L's, consider that the Packer Offense only scored 7 points, and they gave up a fumble-7 and safety. The Detroit defense literally outscored our offense.

I will concede that, and look to play calling.

At the end of the day, our offense was not good and our defense was better than OUR average. Not average, just our average, which is normally bad to "not really good". Nothing makes me jump up and say the defense looked stud today. Just better than our normal d.

I still would never say that compared to the rest of the league we are looking average, even with one of our better defensive efforts, and under it all, that's the real point. Combine that with our offense today who looked worse than Jacksonville's offense: recipe for disaster.

Its time to stop worrying if we can beat the Superbowl champs or NFC champs, and focus on not getting embarrassed in our own division .

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This offense has no creativity to it at all. Truth be told it's not even a true west coast offense . That lame toss sweep play they ran went for -12 yards in 4 attempts!! How about using both backs at once? Running jet sweeps with Cobb? The screens? The double moves? Heck even some wildcat with Cobb . Ive come to grips that Rodgers would rather get sacked than throw it away. He won't last the entire year because he's taking to many Stupid hits because he wants to throw it downfield everytime . Even on that td to Quarless he ignored James Starks who was wide open for the check down . Rodgers won't get a pass from me...he's playing like an average qb right now and that makes the Packers a 500. Team at best .

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stud: Defense. You hold the Detroit offense to 1o pts...hell....you hold Detroit to 19 pts and you win the DAMN game. Sickening display by MM's offensive unit.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya know what? There wasn't one damn thing wrong with the defense, the signing of Peppers or Capers today. What they did and the way they played today was more than good enough to win every week in the NFL.
The problem was their timid play calling and the lackluster- to put it kindly- play of 'the best QB in the NFL' and the "explosive' offense around him. By the way, while playing against a defense missing a starting safety and it's top 3 CB's.
Enough with the excuses, 'it's still early' and all the rest of the crappola.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Need to get an OC. The loss of Joe Phillbin had an impact

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Peppers, Nelson, Lattimore, House, Hoo ha.

Duds: Mike McCarthy, Aaron Rodgers, Eddie Lacy, Cobb, Boykin, Linsley, Hawk.

Starting to see this team in the early stages of disintegrating. What kind of offensive game plan was that? Recipe for disaster. Time to hire an OC that only gives Rodgers 3 seconds to throw the ball. And anyone who thinks the D was good is delusional. This team is reeling downward. There is a rift between AR and MM, and Matthews is limping again. All they need now is to mail it in in Chitown and the season is in serious jeopardy. I hate to say it, but a change may be needed regarding our head coach and his entire staff - it is old and not effective any more.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't say Lacy isn't running hard, but he seems to run much differently than last year.

He keeps trying to make cuts and bounce it instead of just pounding it forward.

his concussion weak one on Lacy....

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I'm seeing is that the NFC North has become more competitive and the Packers have at best become a stagnant team, and probably regressed.

- For 3 straight games this team has come out unprepared. When is the last time the Packers came out firing and blew an opposing team away in the 1st quarter?
- MM's play-calling and in-game decisions continue to amaze me. The timeout, the safety. An almost 100% predictable offense that failed to exploit the other teams' weaknesses.
- The talent level on this team has not improved much if at all over the last 3 years. The Lions, Bears and Vikings are all either more talented than the Packers or have closed the gap.
- Rodgers is not an elite QB. Not this year. 1 great game out of 3 doesn't cut it. Assuming that Rodgers is the equalizer against a more talented team is no longer true. His stubborn tendency to hold onto the ball hurts his team. His unwillingness to scramble is obvious. His accuracy is off and he does not look confident back there at all.
- The no-huddle offense that was supposed to produce all these fireworks has been ineffective.
- It was a far better defensive effort, but the Lions were still able to move the ball. Turnovers kept it close.

I can't help but re-read McGinn's latest column and nod my head.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Duds: The "no huddle offense"
"Play calling" and continually running the ball for "negative yardage" on predictable play calling.

Studs: Packer defense. They wore down at end but they held them to 10 points bottom line. If anyone in here knew that going in they are lying if they said we would lose.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds: Packers offense. Terrible.
Duds: Lions offense. 10 points after controlling the ball for 40 minutes.
Duds: the game.

If we're 1 and 3 after the Chicago game, what's the chance of making the playoffs?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
A special OMG what the hell where you doing DUD award for the right side of the Packers OL on the safety. Backed up at their one yard line the call was for a run to the right. They had three blockers for (only) three defenders so it shouldn’t have been a problem. As the play starts, Bulaga goes inside to block the defender over Lang. This is the opposite of a reach block – Bulaga has the angle on an easy block but almost misses him – his guy didn’t make the tackle but Bulaga ends up on the turf and the defender going toward the ball. It looks like Bulaga is surprised the defender took a step forward. Lang goes behind Bulaga in a little pulling action. There are two defenders, one TE Rodgers is engaged with and the other to Lang’s inside – the LB who makes the tackle because he is virtually unblocked. Lang acts as if he didn’t see him – he barely touches him. I really don’t know what the hell Lang was thinking – how could he not look immediately to the inside? TE Rodgers looks like he’s blocking for a pass. He stands up and is pushed back into Lacy taking three steps back where Lacy runs into him. If Lang had done his job, Bulaga’s guy may have made the tackle but it looks to me like Lacy would’ve gotten out of the EZ. If only TE Rodgers had screwed up, Lacy could have lowered his head and gone inside of that “block” and gotten out of the EZ. What a complete cluster schtoop! It wasn't the play call on this one - it was the embarrassing lack of execution of 3 OL, two of whom are supposed to be "good".
http://www.packers.com/media-center...a-safety/1972a5e5-db17-452a-831d-e87389bb0538
We did not force their mistakes... They did.
This is either emotion or agenda driven. In either case, it's just silly. A tipped pass by the defense is a good play. House's INT was a great play (except where he landed) and Peppers strip sack and recovery was another great play. The D was bad getting off the field but in addition to not scoring points, the O did them no favors - there are two sides of the TOP equation. Win the TO battle and the D surrendering 10 points = a Packers win in what percentage of cases? Even with the TOP imbalance.

D

Deleted member 6794

A special OMG what the hell where you doing DUD award for the right side of the Packers OL on the safety. Backed up at their one yard line the call was for a run to the right. They had three blockers for (only) three defenders so it shouldn’t have been a problem. As the play starts, Bulaga goes inside to block the defender over Lang. This is the opposite of a reach block – Bulaga has the angle on an easy block but almost misses him – his guy didn’t make the tackle but Bulaga ends up on the turf and the defender going toward the ball. It looks like Bulaga is surprised the defender took a step forward. Lang goes behind Bulaga in a little pulling action. There are two defenders, one TE Rodgers is engaged with and the other to Lang’s inside – the LB who makes the tackle because he is virtually unblocked. Lang acts as if he didn’t see him – he barely touches him. I really don’t know what the hell Lang was thinking – how could he not look immediately to the inside? TE Rodgers looks like he’s blocking for a pass. He stands up and is pushed back into Lacy taking three steps back where Lacy runs into him. If Lang had done his job, Bulaga’s guy may have made the tackle but it looks to me like Lacy would’ve gotten out of the EZ. If only TE Rodgers had screwed up, Lacy could have lowered his head and gone inside of that “block” and gotten out of the EZ. What a complete cluster schtoop! It wasn't the play call on this one - it was the embarrassing lack of execution of 3 OL, two of whom are supposed to be "good".

After watching it again I agree that Lang looked terrible on the play, it seems to me though that Sitton was supposed to pick up Levy, but Mosley got in his way after being blocked by Bulaga. Still, I don´t understand the reason being pulling both guards on the play instead of just trying to pick up the guy lined up across of them on that specific play.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Sitton wasn't pulling on that play - I believe his job was to get to the second level and block #59, the LB on his side of the ball. I don't think Sitton's job was to block Levy - that would be incredibly difficult to block a LB that far away where the ball was supposed to go. And if so, who was Lang supposed to block? BTW, I called it "a little pulling action" but on second thought it looks more like what we used to call a cross block.

D

Deleted member 6794

Sitton wasn't pulling on that play - I believe his job was to get to the second level and block #59, the LB on his side of the ball. I don't think Sitton's job was to block Levy - that would be incredibly difficult to block a LB that far away where the ball was supposed to go. And if so, who was Lang supposed to block? BTW, I called it "a little pulling action" but on second thought it looks more like what we used to call a cross block.

I have no idea what Lang thought his assignment was, he obviously did a terrible job as he could have picked up Levy. I still don´t get it though why they didn´t have Lang block Mosley and Sitton block Fairley with Bulaga and Linsley picking up the LBs on that play.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been saying for a while now that Rodgers looks like he is trying to do too much. He needs to get back to what made him so dangerous and that was seeing the field and taking what the defense gives you. He is trying to force big plays and it is killing us. Never thought I would have to think that way about Aaron freaking Rodgers.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Studs: Defense. You can only hold megaton and company for so long. They did their job.

Duds:
Rodgers. Just didn't look himself at all.
Lacy. Gave up 9 points to the Lions (no help from playcalling on the safety)
Just go ahead and add the entire offense. This is a game that needs to just be forgotten about.
Also did not like the fact on third and short packer corners are still playing 8-10 yards off