Studs and duds KC

jhawk008

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As long as You are comparing a 2007 contest.. let’s get more recent

How about something more recent. Say…

Rodgers first Road game in 2021??
Which one is more comparable for Love.. comparing him to Rodgers the first game after an all time great QB season where he won MVP, or where he was getting his first real playing time against a worthy opponent

Hmmm let's use our brains here

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Difference is we have the luxury of knowing and seeing the opposite of Rodgers.

If he had played that bad against the cowboys when he finally got real game time, idk if the Pack are as ready to move on from Favre.

I can't believe I have to type that out, it's plainly obvious
Right and you watched Jordan Love play one game and you have already written him off. I can't believe that I have to type that out, it's painfully obvious.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sort of like Rodgers first season as a starter? It takes more courage to move forward than to do nothing being paralyzed with fear of failure.
Agreed. If you are going to cut and run, simply because your rookie QB has a bad first outing, good luck finding that ready made Pro QB, especially when drafting late in the first round consistently.

Just glad I put it in words before the game.....That there will be some who react exactly in this fashion.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Which one is more comparable for Love.. comparing him to Rodgers the first game after an all time great QB season where he won MVP, or where he was getting his first real playing time against a worthy opponent

Right and let's compare a guy that has played in 205 NFL games, with basically a late round rookie, playing his first meaningful snaps in the NFL.

I mean I understand the knee jerk reaction, after all, we have been spoiled for how many years with back to back HOF QB's. But let's use our brains here.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's the unfortunate thing about this game. The Chiefs are far from a juggernaut defensively and Love had weapons at his disposal, along with a defense that's one of the best the Packers have had in a long time. They only give up 13, yet it never felt like the Packers had a chance.

Like I said earlier, LaFleur's plan wasn't good. He acknowledged that after the game. But still and all, it was a pretty poor performance. But, he'll have more opportunities and surely he'll be better next time. I just don't know how much better.

MLF really didna **** poor job of game planning against a hyper aggressive defense with an inexperienced qb.

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everything has already been said, but I'll reiterate.

Studs:
Defense in general; after the first drive they settled down and played well
Barnes!
Even Burks made a couple nice plays
Dillon and Jones -- but neither got enough carries
Cobb -- caught some poorly thrown balls

Dud:
Special teams -- an absolute disgrace. Not playing at a professional level. Something is drastically wrong. Even Bojo was mixed at best and he's been the bright spot.

Now to the elephant in the room:
Gute gets a major dud for this game. He's made some excellent moves, but drafting Love was a major error, and it's been obvious for quite a while. This was the game that it became visible, but the price has already been paid over the last season and a half. Love has been sitting on the bench while the first round player we didn't draft could have been helping us. Maybe helping us to beat Tampa Bay in the NFCC. We'll never know what might have happened with a sensible first round pick.

I admit that I hated the Love pick from Day One. Seems like a really nice guy, and I was pulling for him to look good yesterday. Unfortunately, at this point I would rate him as a slightly better version of Bret Hundley. Hundley, however, was a 5th round pick out of UCLA -- not a powerhouse school these days, but certainly a program that has produced quality players over time, and a member of a power 5 conference.

Here's what was wrong with the Love pick:
1. It angered the starting quarterback, a future hall of famer and the most important element of the franchise. Would it be nice if Rodgers didn't get upset by such things? Yes. But he does, and management needs to understand that. It's their freakin' job to understand it.
2. Love was not first round material: Utah State? We're not talking Alabama here. We're talking Mountain West conference. College football is very stratified. There are about twenty high caliber programs year in and year out, with about ten really good ones. Utah State is not in either group.
3. Love was neither the quarterback of the future (he was drafted a year or two too soon for that) nor a sensible backup (should have a journeyman vet for that)

From a pre-draft commentary by Steven Ruiz back in April of 2020:

"Most of the time, Love is a reckless decision-maker who struggles to hit even the most routine throws. But then he throws a dime on the run or goes through his progression in the pocket and you can imagine him doing that on a regular basis in the NFL. I just wouldn’t want to be the GM that bets on it happening."

Gute was the GM who bet on that happening.

Maybe Love will put it all together and turn into an above average NFL quarterback, but I agree with those who say he doesn't pass the eye test. I would like to be proven wrong.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This game confirmed I’d be seeing if Tyler Ervin wants to come back and be our returner.
Good call. Was surprised to see him still available. While he wasn't a big impact player for the Packers, he also wasn't a guy that made a ton of mistakes fielding the ball. I don't think he ever turned the ball over as a Packer, could be wrong. I like the fact that he can return both kicks and punts and offer up something on offense.

While I would like to blame Malik Taylor for the fumbled punt, it also could have been Amari Rodgers fault for not yelling "poison" and/or just fair catching the ball and not letting it hit. Rodgers let a couple of punts hit the ground last night. You never know where that ball might bounce and if players are arriving at the same time as the ball, fair catch the damn thing!

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I saw Rodgers in his first meaningful snaps I could tell right away we had something with him. He looked good and I could tell he had the "it" factor. Set the stats aside, I did not see that in Love. He did not pass the ole eyeball test. Is what it is though.

Rodgers was also much more thoroughly developed at that point, he *** into his 3rd NFL season with 3 normal offseasons. Love had a truncated first of development due to covid and only had one proper nfl offseason up to this point.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. If you are going to cut and run, simply because your rookie QB has a bad first outing, good luck finding that ready made Pro QB, especially when drafting late in the first round consistently.

Just glad I put it in words before the game.....That there will be some who react exactly in this fashion.

I think you atleast see his progression next PS before making any decisions with him.

jhawk008

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right and let's compare a guy that has played in 205 NFL games, with basically a late round rookie, playing his first meaningful snaps in the NFL.

I mean I understand the knee jerk reaction, after all, we have been spoiled for how many years with back to back HOF QB's. But let's use our brains here.
Again are you not reading properly... The argument is we were willing to move past Favre because we saw the potential of Rodgers against the cowboys (front office specifically stated this).. no one is saying that for Jordan Love after this game

jhawk008

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right and you watched Jordan Love play one game and you have already written him off. I can't believe that I have to type that out, it's painfully obvious.
The NFL is a tough business, we aren't the Browns were the fukn Packers. We're coming off back to back 13-3 seasons and we are competing for a championship.

You should expect your 1st round QB whose had a season and a half to study and learn to not look like a mid round rookie QB.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there is a doubt when Jenkins could really help the interior. Nijman may need help but when he was playing there was less of a pass rush.
We need Bahk at LT and Jenkins in the middle.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again are you not reading properly... The argument is we were willing to move past Favre because we saw the potential of Rodgers against the cowboys (front office specifically stated this).. no one is saying that for Jordan Love after this game
Lol Favre was also regressing and nearing the age of nearly all QB drops. It was not as if Rodgers immediately stole the show from him. You’re not recalling history properly…

jhawk008

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol Favre was also regressing and nearing the age of nearly all QB drops. It was not as if Rodgers immediately stole the show from him. You’re not recalling history properly…
Favre took us to the NFC championship game. He was good enough to compete for a title, obviously he did it 2 years later with the Vikings.. we moved on from that because of what they saw in practice from Rodgers and got confirmation in game (along with Favre waffling)

What did we see from Love? What positive sign have we seen from that game.. what reports have we had about Love in practice? Because nothing I've read/heard has been "he's special" or "he's ready"

Reaction score

Thank You! just made my point. Aaron Rodgers had 13 seasons of starts under his MVP belt. Yet he got minimal off-season with the starters (sound familiar?). Then coupled with traveling on the road with rust still attached.. even an MVP QB is prone to a poor outing in his 1st contest of the season if unprepared in 1st team reps

Aaron Rodgers is a great QB and the “eye test” on him week 1 nearly burned my eyes out of my sockets!

In addition. I don’t believe MLF was lying when he said he graded himself poorly for the play calling response also. That makes me believe he’ll have a better game plan prepared for that onslaught. I read somewhere that KC used 51% of snaps 5 or more rushing and 25% of the snaps w/6+ rushing which is highly unusual. We were obviously not prepared for that at all and several pass rushers came in unabated with a free run at Jordan. We also had success running the ball, yet we abandoned it while we were still very much in the game. We rushed for 4.9 per carry and yet we got run shy. They couldn’t stop our run game and we retired it for an entire Quarter.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre took us to the NFC championship game. He was good enough to compete for a title, obviously he did it 2 years later with the Vikings.. we moved on from that because of what they saw in practice from Rodgers and got confirmation in game (along with Favre waffling)

What did we see from Love? What positive sign have we seen from that game.. what reports have we had about Love in practice? Because nothing I've read/heard has been "he's special" or "he's ready"

It would be ignorant to do so based on one game. I said it before the game ever started even if he put up 400 yards and 4 TDs with no picks I don’t care, it wouldn’t confirm anything. Rodgers is still best QB on roster and until that changes and Love gets actually serious prep time for games and puts together three or four predicting is purely conjecture and “eye test” bs.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
His former boss Shawn Mennenga is still unemployed. I tell you, being the STC for the Packer is the kiss of death. Maybe they hired Drayton, because he was the only one who said "yes" to it? I don't think anyone if these guys, except Mike Stock left Green Bay for a better job and Stock retired. I also believe that Stock was the only one that had a top 10 ranked unit, in 2007, 7th best.

Cromwell (1992-’97)
Johnny Holland (1998)
Steve Ortmayer (1999)
Frank Novak (2000-’02)
John Bonamego (2003-’05)
Mike Stock (2006-’08)
Shawn Slocum (2009-’14)
Ron Zook (2015-’18)
Mennenga (2019-’20).
Nolan Cromwell was the **** doctor of Special Team coaches.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be ignorant to do so based on one game. I said it before the game ever started even if he put up 400 yards and 4 TDs with no picks I don’t care, it wouldn’t confirm anything. Rodgers is still best QB on roster and until that changes and Love gets actually serious prep time for games and puts together three or four predicting is purely conjecture and “eye test” bs.
Favre had some time with Atlanta. Recall what Glanville said about him. Love has not had much yet at all.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nolan Cromwell was the **** doctor of Special Team coaches.
Cromwell. Yes. He had Desmond Howard and put him to use. The Chiefs had a ST coach back in the 80s who was great, Frank Gansz. Then they made him a head coach and he tanked.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The NFL is a tough business, we aren't the Browns were the fukn Packers. We're coming off back to back 13-3 seasons and we are competing for a championship.

You should expect your 1st round QB whose had a season and a half to study and learn to not look like a mid round rookie QB.
Sorry that you expected more from a QB that you yourself thought was a mistake to draft to begin with. At least you put yourself into a position where you may be able to keep saying "I told you so", as well as one that makes you look a bit confused deciding between your expectations and your convictions.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry that you expected more from a QB that you yourself thought was a mistake to draft to begin with. At least you put yourself into a position where you may be able to keep saying "I told you so", as well as one that makes you look a bit confused deciding between your expectations and your convictions.
Would you rather had Joe Burrows?