Studs and duds KC

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Serious question: why are we wasting a valuable roster spot on a LS? Why can't your regular center do it? Is it because they need all 3 to work together a lot?
My guess is that a mistake is too costly.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well the 2 Chiefs over our LG and C simply lifted their feet with their hands up. They did not jump nor even try to penetrate the blockers. The kick line was directly to the right of our C where Kelly was in stance. If Crosby's kick was that low due to a high snap it would have had to hit 6'8" Kelly at the top of his helmet if he does not fall flat on his face. If he makes his block neither Okafor or any other Chief gets it. High snaps happen every week in the NFL but blocks are few from that distance. The catapulting rules also diminished kick blocks. Now before the NFL shrunk the hash marks back around 1974 the angles of place kicks were sharper giving the defense some advantage.
I like your point about the hash marks. I don't know why they changed that. There was more thinking involved on each play because you had to start where the end of the play was or at the hash mark. And you set up the field goal. Now you don't have to.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like your point about the hash marks. I don't know why they changed that. There was more thinking involved on each play because you had to start where the end of the play was or at the hash mark. And you set up the field goal. Now you don't have to.
From what I recall it happened by default. The wide hash marks allowed the defense to use the sideline as an extra man as they said. Scores in the NFL were lower. Offense is what sold tickets. And the place kickers got a break.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I recall it happened by default. The wide hash marks allowed the defense to use the sideline as an extra man as they said. Scores in the NFL were lower. Offense is what sold tickets. And the place kickers got a break.
Yeah, I'm sure you're right. I just don't like it. Don't like that they dilute the game for what they think is more money. btw it also gave the O a lot of room to the other side and why in the world do we want to make it easier on field goal kickers? More points equal more fans? If true; the intelligence of the fan is most certainly suspect. imho

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The ones did not play in the pre-season. I wonder if I beat captain to this one.
Very valid point and yet another reason why I think sitting most of your starters in preseason isn't always the best policy. I still say the Saints game might have been different had the Packers at least played the starters for the first half of the Jets game.

Now the counter argument to that could be, is that one loss against the Saints hurting us more than a season ending injury to a starter during the Jets first half? No, but injuries can happen at anytime, even in practice.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, every quarterback looks better in preseason facing vanilla schemes by opponents while hardly facing any starters.
Nope. Not all. It certainly helps. But what you are looking at is footwork, progressions, poise, leadership, and understanding of the offense. I thought Love looked very good in the preseason with only a need to relax a little. He has a great skillset which has definitely developed. Many backup QBs playing in preseason do not show that level of promise.

Packermudgeon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very valid point and yet another reason why I think sitting most of your starters in preseason isn't always the best policy. I still say the Saints game might have been different had the Packers at least played the starters for the first half of the Jets game.

Now the counter argument to that could be, is that one loss against the Saints hurting us more than a season ending injury to a starter during the Jets first half? No, but injuries can happen at anytime, even in practice.
...or even in warmups.;)

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sure you're right. I just don't like it. Don't like that they dilute the game for what they think is more money. btw it also gave the O a lot of room to the other side and why in the world do we want to make it easier on field goal kickers? More points equal more fans? If true; the intelligence of the fan is most certainly suspect. imho
Just for points. The goal posts also got moved from the goal line to the back of the end zone like college.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Just for points. The goal posts also got moved from the goal line to the back of the end zone like college.
Do what they do in baseball with the outfield walls, let the teams put the goal posts wherever they want to, as high as they want to. Wouldn't that make for a fun game if there was only 1 set of goalposts, they were 40 feet tall and placed right on the 50 yard line. :cool::coffee:

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which one is more comparable for Love.. comparing him to Rodgers the first game after an all time great QB season where he won MVP, or where he was getting his first real playing time against a worthy opponent

Hmmm let's use our brains here
And let's consider that he only had one full day of practice with the first team to prepare and was basically thrown to the wolves. He did about as well as could be expected. He didn't win the game for the Packers but he sure as hell didn't lose it either.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
And let's consider that he only had one full day of practice with the first team to prepare and was basically thrown to the wolves. He did about as well as could be expected. He didn't win the game for the Packers but he sure as hell didn't lose it either.
Dont forgot to add in MLF had horrible plan..but it should been a tied game.. Or even a chance to take led if go for 2 and not xp

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This didn't happen tho, and I wish that it did. Instead we got confirmation on everything we've been hearing about him. Inaccurate, bad ball placement, and poor decision making

Yeah, that must by why he threw 32 TDs and 1 INT his Junior season, you know... before he lost his only two decent receivers and got stuck with a Swiss cheese OL comprised of three freshmen, a sophomore and a junior.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to admit that I was surprised and not happy when Love missed on the very first throw of the game. I could have made that throw (if I warmed up for an hour before). And that throw in the dirt to Dillon.
It was very remniscent of the throw Rodgers made at Adams' feet at the goal line in the NFCC last year.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offense "he" moved us into two scoring chances (failed FGs) and the last two drives looked much calmer and better. He progressed as the game went on, which is promising...but also a given with how out of sorts he seemed the first half at times.
Keep in mind it was the first time in his life he had played in a game where things happen that fast. QBs work on an internal clock to get their timing and pocket awareness down. College football isn't that fast. NFL preseason isn't that fast. And training camp certainly isn't that fast. That's why most QBs look out of sorts their first few quarters in real games.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
1st start, national audience

No real practice time with any wr

Loudest stadium

MLF didn’t game plan correctly

Offense should have netted 6 extra points

Looked to get better as game went on.

Not excuses but facts

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Offense "he" moved us into two scoring chances (failed FGs) and the last two drives looked much calmer and better. He progressed as the game went on, which is promising...but also a given with how out of sorts he seemed the first half at times.

Fields looked autrocious in his first few starts...and has been progressing ever since. It is rare a young QB ever starts hot out the gate.
Justin had more time to practice with the offense

D

Deleted member 6794

Now you are splitting hairs ;)

However, you are correct with what you say, but the poster wanted people to believe that "no good team, with a great QB needs to waste draft resources on another QB."

The Love pick surprised most, but the rationale behind it made sense to many of us and continues to as we work our way through the Rodgers drama.

I wouldn't have been opposed to the Packers using a third round or day three pick on a quarterback last year at all. But I definitely didn't like trading up in the first round to select one.

Nope. Not all. It certainly helps. But what you are looking at is footwork, progressions, poise, leadership, and understanding of the offense. I thought Love looked very good in the preseason with only a need to relax a little. He has a great skillset which has definitely developed. Many backup QBs playing in preseason do not show that level of promise.

Brett Hundley looked awesome in the preseason at one point. I don't put too much stock into it.

The Packers placed Rodgers on the COVID-19 list on Wednesday last week, meaning Love received all practice snaps with the first team offense to prepare for KC.

Yeah, that must by why he threw 32 TDs and 1 INT his Junior season, you know... before he lost his only two decent receivers and got stuck with a Swiss cheese OL comprised of three freshmen, a sophomore and a junior.

For the record Love had six interceptions in his junior season.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't have been opposed to the Packers using a third round or day three pick on a quarterback last year at all. But I definitely didn't like trading up in the first round to select one.

Brett Hundley looked awesome in the preseason at one point. I don't put too much stock into it.

The Packers placed Rodgers on the COVID-19 list on Wednesday last week, meaning Love received all practice snaps with the first team offense to prepare for KC.

For the record Love had six interceptions in his junior season.
But like Crow said - practice isn't going to prepare a young QB for the speed of these games. Only being thrown to the wolves a few times will guys like Love be ready for it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But like Crow said - practice isn't going to prepare a young QB for the speed of these games. Only being thrown to the wolves a few times will guys like Love be ready for it.

Yup which is why the second half of that game especially should leave someone positive about his direction possibly. There is no doubt a lot to work on, as was expected, but folks he nearly won his first game, on the road against a good team with three days notice...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I really am dumbfounded that people expected more out of Love in his first meaningful NFL action. How long have these people been watching NFL football? As someone so aptly pointed out, it is simply confirmation bias of those that didn't like the drafting of Love to begin with.

I already asked one of these posters what his expectations for Love in the KC game were, he didn't have an answer, just more "I told you so's."

Just like if the Packers sign OBJ, I have very few expectations for him in at least the first 1-4 games. It will take him awhile to figure things out with Rodgers and the offense and same for Rodgers figuring out OBJ. But I can guarantee that a few people will come in here and lose their :poop: the first time he doesn't look like an All Pro WR.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really am dumbfounded that people expected more out of Love in his first meaningful NFL action. How long have these people been watching NFL football? As someone so aptly pointed out, it is simply confirmation bias of those that didn't like the drafting of Love to begin with.

I already asked one of these posters what his expectations for Love in the KC game were, he didn't have an answer, just more "I told you so's."

Just like if the Packers sign OBJ, I have very few expectations for him in at least the first 1-4 games. It will take him awhile to figure things out with Rodgers and the offense and same for Rodgers figuring out OBJ. But I can guarantee that a few people will come in here and lose their :poop: the first time he doesn't look like an All Pro WR.

I will say I'm not the biggest OBJ fan, but a OBJ on this roster willing to play a role and motivated to chase a SB is a dangerous addition. I just don't get the feeling it is a move we do though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I will say I'm not the biggest OBJ fan, but a OBJ on this roster willing to play a role and motivated to chase a SB is a dangerous addition. I just don't get the feeling it is a move we do though.
I would have never traded for him or signed him for a lot of money, but to me this would be a much better signing than Antonio Brown and he worked out pretty good for the Bucs. Yes, OBJ has a big ego, but so does Rodgers, I think he and Adams would be able to keep OBJ in check and GB might actually be just what OBJ needs to put all the drama behind him and play football like he is capable of.

Members online

Latest posts