Reaction score
Studs:
Entire defense
Jenkins and Runyan on the oline
AJ Dillon

Duds:
Jordan Love
Royce Newman (OMG awful)
MLF (waited far too long to help Love with the blitz)
Long snapper
Holder on field goals
Special teams

Before people start yelling about Love, understand that only an idiot makes a projection about a player's career after one game; Love had a terrible game, which most quarterbacks do in their first start. I will say that I saw nothing that made me think he was a once-in-ten years type of player that the Packers had to trade up for but I'm certainly not saying he's a bust after one start.

The defense was freaking phenomenal. Packers need to cut the worst guy on the gameday roster and bring back JK Scott as the holder for field goals.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
If the guy has talent we will see but if you are willing to go out there and show the coaches you have what it takes you don't miss those throws.
Lol, did you EVER watch Bret Favre play? He played in prime time games where he air mailed everything in the entire first quarter before he got himself settled down.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes! Interestingly enough, my work Comrade (he’s older than me at 65) and myself just yesterday named nearly every worthwhile person on the show Dallas, then started on Dynasty before we got interrupted.
He lived near Dallas and he told me his X wife knew the daughter of Rays wife and actually appeared on an episode as a fill in actress. She was talking to Sue Ellen in the background of a scene. True story.

I liked Lucy and Sammy Jo Carrington myself. Of course I had horrible taste because I had a crush on Kristie McNichol! Ewww!
However.. I was a Stud
She was a Dud ;)
Charlene Tilton and Heather Locklear. You were not alone.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think most guys had a thing for Sammy Jo...but I admit I had a little thing for Kristie in the 80s. She was a cutie...but in the 70s it was all about Janet and Crissy Snow. lol

Sammy Jo was nice but Fallon was my favorite (mainly Pamela Sue Martin but Emma Samms was a good replacement) followed by Kirby Anders (Kathleen Beller).

Charlene Tilton and Heather Locklear. You were not alone.
That's a nope on Charlene Tilton from me as well as Suzanne Sommers. Well maybe not a nope exactly but Kristi McNichol was head an shoulders above both of them.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol, did you EVER watch Bret Favre play? He played in prime time games where he air mailed everything in the entire first quarter before he got himself settled down.

To be fair that mainly happened in Dallas during the playoffs (I think there was something about a hump in the middle of the field too?). Also, Lord willing, Love will actually learn proper QB mechanics so that might help with the jitters.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do remember his first time playing. Senior year in College. Granted we were all hung over since Badgers had a home game that week, not to mention the highlight of that week -- U2 was in town.
When Maj got injured I was like, "oh sh08t!!" Here comes Farve and the rest is history. the one thing I do remember telling myself was about how the guy had an arm. We were amused that he actually won that game. We just went wild!

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If anyone is looking for Rodgers's first real NFL appearance:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Who is the more poised, confident, composed, accurate QB? I know one is a future HoFer, but it's night and day
It is remarkable. Rodgers' demeanor in this first game he looked like a veteran whereas Love looked like a rookie.

I also noticed Aaron was wearing his hair long back then too. ;)

Last edited:
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Sammy Jo was nice but Fallon was my favorite (mainly Pamela Sue Martin but Emma Samms was a good replacement) followed by Kirby Anders (Kathleen Beller).

That's a nope on Charlene Tilton from me as well as Suzanne Sommers. Well maybe not a nope exactly but Kristi McNichol was head an shoulders above both of them.

Talk about off topic. Who the **** is Sammy Jo ?????????

Packermudgeon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some are comparing this game to the Dallas game in '07.

Prior to the Chiefs game, Love played in...
2 preseason games
1 regular season game

Prior to the Dallas game in '07, Rodgers played in...
12 preseason games
4 regular season games (actually 5 but I left out 1 game where he only attempted 1 pass)

After 4 preseason games, Rodgers played against the Ravens late in the season.
8 of 15 for 65 yards
0 TD's
1 INT
3 sacks
36.8 rating

I don't remember this game, but I'm guessing Rodgers didn't pass the "eye test" that day.

Love may never amount to anything in the NFL, but I think I'll skip the histrionics and monitor his progress in future games.
At this point, if he can learn from and improve on games like this means more to me than his play in this one game.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Rodgers was also much more thoroughly developed at that point, he *** into his 3rd NFL season with 3 normal offseasons. Love had a truncated first of development due to covid and only had one proper nfl offseason up to this point.
Yeah, I guess. He's had over a year to learn the playbook now, got all the preseason reps with the ones, and pretty much a full week of practice. Seems like a bunch of excuses to me. Again, I didn't think he looked good. Very small sample size and I hope he works out. To me, I'd hang onto Rodgers at least for another year.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Some are comparing this game to the Dallas game in '07.

Prior to the Chiefs game, Love played in...
2 preseason games
1 regular season game

Prior to the Dallas game in '07, Rodgers played in...
12 preseason games
4 regular season games (actually 5 but I left out 1 game where he only attempted 1 pass)

After 4 preseason games, Rodgers played against the Ravens late in the season.
8 of 15 for 65 yards
0 TD's
1 INT
3 sacks
36.8 rating

I don't remember this game, but I'm guessing Rodgers didn't pass the "eye test" that day.

Love may never amount to anything in the NFL, but I think I'll skip the histrionics and monitor his progress in future games.
At this point, if he can learn from and improve on games like this means more to me than his play in this one game.
I do actually remember that game. The Ravens were absolutely trouncing the Packers. I believe that was a season where the Ravens were dominant with their defense led by Ray Lewis. I don't remember the score, but Rodgers went in when the game was something like 42-0.

Super small sample size on Love. I didn't think he looked good. He struggled to move the offense most of the night. It's not the worst thing in the world to lose your first start against a non conference opponent and on the road. My hope is we get Rodgers back.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offense "he" moved us into two scoring chances (failed FGs) and the last two drives looked much calmer and better. He progressed as the game went on, which is promising...but also a given with how out of sorts he seemed the first half at times.

Fields looked autrocious in his first few starts...and has been progressing ever since. It is rare a young QB ever starts hot out the gate.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think there is a doubt when Jenkins could really help the interior. Nijman may need help but when he was playing there was less of a pass rush.

Jenkins moving to left guard would definitely improve the interior of the line but in my opinion Nijman starting at left tackle is too much of a drop-off in performance to make it work as long as there are other options available.

Sort of like Rodgers first season as a starter?

The Packers ranked fifth in points scored during Rodgers' first season as the starter. They struggled because their defense was terrible.

In addition to the TD, Love got the offense down the field enough for two relatively easy FGs, which were missed. If Crosby makes both, it’s a tie game at 13.

For the record, the Packers received the ball on the Chiefs 37 on the drive Crosby missed his second field goal because the Chiefs went for it on fourth down deep in their territory.

Hope Love can build on this and be more at ease in his next chance. He looked much better in the preseason.

Well, every quarterback looks better in preseason facing vanilla schemes by opponents while hardly facing any starters.

I think you atleast see his progression next PS before making any decisions with him.

The problem being that the Packers won't have time until next year's preseason to make a decision on Rodgers and Love.

I read somewhere that KC used 51% of snaps 5 or more rushing and 25% of the snaps w/6+ rushing which is highly unusual. We were obviously not prepared for that at all and several pass rushers came in unabated with a free run at Jordan. We also had success running the ball, yet we abandoned it while we were still very much in the game. We rushed for 4.9 per carry and yet we got run shy. They couldn’t stop our run game and we retired it for an entire Quarter.

Love not being able to read the defense contributed to him being pressured a lot. He should have audibled to a run on several occasions.

Didn't seem to hurt the Patriots, they drafted 10 QB's during Brady's tenure.

The huge difference being that the Patriots didn't use a first round on a quarterback during Brady's tenure though.

You’re certainly entitled to an opinion. But I think your opinion is not one using any degree of prudence or being tempered or wise (applicable use of knowledge)
1 game for me either way wasn’t going to make me take my entire next paycheck and buy Jordan Love stock.

For myself, I need a handful of games in varying scenarios to process and come to an ultimate solution or decision on a player. I would never in a million years use a players first appearance game (good or bad) to wholly evaluate them for their career outlook. To me it just makes more sense to evaluate if they are improving or regressing from one contest to the next.

1 game on short notice for a QB is not even close to enough tape for me to write a player off or to use it as proof of some ultimate, long-term worth.

I agree that it's impossible to evaluate a quarterback based on a single game. But, unfortunately the Packers will most likely be faced with doing just that next offseason.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The huge difference being that the Patriots didn't use a first round on a quarterback during Brady's tenure though.
Now you are splitting hairs ;)

However, you are correct with what you say, but the poster wanted people to believe that "no good team, with a great QB needs to waste draft resources on another QB."

The Love pick surprised most, but the rationale behind it made sense to many of us and continues to as we work our way through the Rodgers drama.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:
Entire defense
Jenkins and Runyan on the oline
AJ Dillon

Duds:
Jordan Love
Royce Newman (OMG awful)
MLF (waited far too long to help Love with the blitz)
Long snapper
Holder on field goals
Special teams

Before people start yelling about Love, understand that only an idiot makes a projection about a player's career after one game; Love had a terrible game, which most quarterbacks do in their first start. I will say that I saw nothing that made me think he was a once-in-ten years type of player that the Packers had to trade up for but I'm certainly not saying he's a bust after one start.

The defense was freaking phenomenal. Packers need to cut the worst guy on the gameday roster and bring back JK Scott as the holder for field goals.
On the duds add on Kelly #78 who fell flat on his face at the snap which made it easy for Okafor to step up and block the FG. And why the long snapper. He just gets the ball to the holder. If he does that it is out of his hands.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
why the long snapper. He just gets the ball to the holder. If he does that it is out of his hands.
I thought that second FG snap was high and I think even Buck or Aikman talked about it.

Timing is everything for all 3 guys directly involved with touching the ball. If one of them doesn't do their job correctly, the results can be a failed attempt.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought that second FG snap was high and I think even Buck or Aikman talked about it.

Timing is everything for all 3 guys directly involved with touching the ball. If one of them doesn't do their job correctly, the results can be a failed attempt.
The snap would not have effected the kick. The hole for Okafor to step up was so huge I could have blocked the kick. This was not like Pittsburgh where the guy blocked it coming around the end. This was right up the gut. And it was only 4 yards longer than the extra point Crosby made later. Buck and Aikman mentioned the snap because they were looking for an assignable cause. After watching it again Aikman pointed out 6'8"Kelly who supposedly had a bad back

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Serious question: why are we wasting a valuable roster spot on a LS? Why can't your regular center do it? Is it because they need all 3 to work together a lot?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The snap would not have effected the kick. The hole for Okafor to step up was so huge I could have blocked the kick. This was not like Pittsburgh where the guy blocked it coming around the end. This was right up the gut. And it was only 4 yards longer than the extra point Crosby made later. Buck and Aikman mentioned the snap because they were looking for an assignable cause. After watching it again Aikman pointed out 6'8"Kelly who supposedly had a bad back
The line not blocking correctly is yet another layer of everything that goes into kicking FG's and XP's for sure. Thanks for pointing out that it was that kick that Kelly whiffed his block. That doesn't change the fact that the snap was high, just that it didn't really matter, since the kick was destined to be blocked anyway.

I have said this before, but will say it again. Kickers are sort of like golfers. They spend most of the game alone, thinking about kicking and when their time comes, they are alone in the spotlight. Very much a mental thing for kickers and once some of them get too deep into their own heads, a once easy kick can be an adventure.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Serious question: why are we wasting a valuable roster spot on a LS? Why can't your regular center do it? Is it because they need all 3 to work together a lot?
Again....watch the Belichick video someone refered to and I posted. I will post it again here. ;) It is worth the time and I think very educational.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course back in the day that was usually the case. Now they have everything fine tuned. The LS is not winded or bruised after a few series battling the D line. And also can he get downfield and make a tackle. I am with you on this one. Rather see a FB on the roster. Ever think how Jerry Kramer or Paul Hornung had to place kick after a 10 play drive in which they were out there for all 10 plays?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The line not blocking correctly is yet another layer of everything that goes into kicking FG's and XP's for sure. Thanks for pointing out that it was that kick that Kelly whiffed his block. That doesn't change the fact that the snap was high, just that it didn't really matter, since the kick was destined to be blocked anyway.

I have said this before, but will say it again. Kickers are sort of like golfers. They spend most of the game alone, thinking about kicking and when their time comes, they are alone in the spotlight. Very much a mental thing for kickers and once some of them get too deep into their own heads, a once easy kick can be an adventure.
Well the 2 Chiefs over our LG and C simply lifted their feet with their hands up. They did not jump nor even try to penetrate the blockers. The kick line was directly to the right of our C where Kelly was in stance. If Crosby's kick was that low due to a high snap it would have had to hit 6'8" Kelly at the top of his helmet if he does not fall flat on his face. If he makes his block neither Okafor or any other Chief gets it. High snaps happen every week in the NFL but blocks are few from that distance. The catapulting rules also diminished kick blocks. Now before the NFL shrunk the hash marks back around 1974 the angles of place kicks were sharper giving the defense some advantage.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts