Steve Smith suggested trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honest question: Do you think Smith offers an obvious upgrade but the reason not to acquire him is it would steal reps from Janis (or Abby)?

Correct. If we were short on weapons, I'd be in favor of bringing in veteran talent. We are not short on weapons. We have lots of them. So I'm more in favor of developing young talent.

Reactions: TJV

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Correct. If we were short on weapons, I'd be in favor of bringing in veteran talent. We are not short on weapons. We have lots of them. So I'm more in favor of developing young talent.

Not to beat a dead horse over and over again, but besides Cobb and Jones (who are both nicked up)...who are the other healthy proven receiving weapons that we "have lots of"?

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy and Cobb are studs. Adams has shown enough that I have no doubts he can be as productive as Jones and yet still have the upside of youth. That's two outside guys in Jordy and Adams. TyMont's role does not overlap with Jones, but he's certainly a weapon. "Proven" is something you threw in there.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to beat a dead horse over and over again, but besides Cobb and Jones (who are both nicked up)...who are the other healthy proven receiving weapons that we "have lots of"?
Adams and Montgomery, I think Montgomery a little more so will work his way up on the depth chart. He shows promise.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Adams and Montgomery, I think Montgomery a little more so will work his way up on the depth chart. He shows promise.

I agree with you, in the future both Adams and Montgomery could be Pro Bowl receivers, but this season, not likely. So as far as proven weapons at WR that GB currently has, I'm sticking with Cobb and Jones as the only proven healthy ones. Adding a veteran WR THIS year like Smith, would just be insurance that AR continues to have those proven weapons.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm all for trading for him...the guy still has something in his tank...a few on NFLN asked why is he retiring when he still has skills..

He is an immediate upgrade over over everyone other than Cobb and Jones...

10 game insurance policy...but I don't see TT doing it

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I said it when Vernon Davis's name was being tossed around, if the Packers can trade a 6th or 7th for a quality Veteran receiver that fits the teams dynamics and cap concerns, then IMO they should. Take a look at the Packers history of their 6th and 7th rounders in the last 12 or so years and tell me, that besides a few (Starks & Crosby), any future clone of one of them, is worth hanging on to as a "future maybe" when we are in a most probable Super Bowl year and such a vet could be the potential missing piece to that.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=1800&type=team

D

Deleted member 6794

Between those two positions, we need help at WR more than TE right now. I think the team is happy with what they have at TE. Plus we just signed Henry to the PS and brought Perillo to the active roster.

A tight end threating defenses down the seam and getting yards after contact would hugely benefit the Packers offense. As of now we don´t have anyone capable of doing it.

Jordy and Cobb are studs. Adams has shown enough that I have no doubts he can be as productive as Jones and yet still have the upside of youth. That's two outside guys in Jordy and Adams. TyMont's role does not overlap with Jones, but he's certainly a weapon. "Proven" is something you threw in there.

The idea is to trade for Smith as a rental player for this season. With Jordy being on injured reserve he doesn´t factor into the offense´s plan for 2015.

According to a report the Ravens won´t trade him though but will try to convince him to return for the 2016 season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000563391/article/report-ravens-wont-trade-steve-smith

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's a good point about Vernon Davis' production. Is it a byproduct of the 49ers horrible overall play on O? When a team starts to slide on either side of the ball, it affects everyone. Or is he really beginning to show his age? Lets face it though, Kap has taken a few steps back and regressed over the past two years and its POSSIBLE that his timing with Vernon Davis has deteriorated along with it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Put yourself in Davis's shoes for a moment, your aging, your body hurts, you are most likely retiring at the end of the season AND your team is pathetically inept on offense. Then one day you wake up and you are on a team with legitimate Super Bowl aspirations and the best QB in the NFL...<insert adrenaline and motivation rush>what a way to end your career, just saying. :coffee:

Same could be said for Smith, except the pathetic offense part.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rather keep the 7th round pick and the rolled over cap space then trade for a guy that doesn't fit the need at WR. The need being an outside speedster to stretch the field. I like smith but how does he fill that need?

D

Deleted member 6794

Rather keep the 7th round pick and the rolled over cap space then trade for a guy that doesn't fit the need at WR. The need being an outside speedster to stretch the field. I like smith but how does he fill that need?

Smith is for sure not the same type of receiver as Nelson but is more than capable of making explosive plays.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Personally, I feel if Cobb, Jones and Adams stay healthy the remainder of the season, we will be fine at WR. But as we have seen, if one of those 3 go down for an extended period of time, AR's passing weapons are diminished, which also seems to have an effect on the running game. Montgomery when healthy is a decent #4 for a rookie.

As much as I wanted to see what Abby had, he has seen such limited action that I would prefer seeing him back on the PS and a veteran WR brought in for insurance. 10 Regular season games left + post season, that is a lot of games to keep our top 3 healthy. This isn't the year to be stingy with a #6 or #7 pick and some rolled over cap money, IMO.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like jones as much as the next guy, but let's not pretend he's close to Steve smith even at this age. Smith sees more defensive attention than jones ever has. A little thing about those jj tds, he has Rodgers throwing him the ball, Defenses focus on Cobb now, Even Rodger said that. Replace smith with jones on Baltimore and he doesn't come close to smith's production, smith is just far more dynamic. Jones also disappears far too much. He's good at making those contested catches, but so is smith. Smith is just better at getting open as well. I don't think we should trade for smith because I prefer Adams to take over that role, I like adam's potential and upside and I don't like smith as a locker room guy, But jones is best where he will be when Adams gets back, a third option. I don't know why I'm arguing against my own team, but smith is just better than jones on the field in almost every way and I hate smith.
This is a fair assessment. Production is production, and yeah maybe Ds would focus more on Smith than Jones. No, of course that would be the case. I just don't think the Packers need to add a WR. They are 6-0 - to maintain that though, Adams is going to have to come back soon, and a healthy Ty Montgomery and Cobb are big pieces needed for this O to dominate as it has in the past.

As far as a deep threat, I don't know if this is true, but it seems like Ds are dropping safeties a lot and using zone coverage rather than m2m. I might be wrong about this. But Rodgers is getting pressured a lot. I'd like to see them use more screens and draws to pull at least one safety up and reduce the zone looks. Starks has done a great job, yet Lacy is the #1 rb on this team. So he needs to be healthy as well to make a screen work.

I think GB will come back from the bye with a revised offensive strategy that uses some of these formations. I don't expect everyone will return totally healthy, but Adams and Burnett are big pieces. If they're still hurting, there are going to be a lot of close games.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind having him on the team before his injury. Not really into it now.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he's 36
he doesn't do anything better than the guys we currently have
he would be like our #5
i don't understand why this would even be a thought

like James Jones would be our #5

My thoughts exactly.

Those who are saying Smith is an upgrade, I don't even know that that matters that much. You don't bring in an old guy for 10 games to steal reps from a promising developmental player.

like you don't bring in a washed up old veteran like James Jones to steal reps away from a promising developmental player.

In case you missed it Jordy is on IR and won't play this year. Cobb may still be suffering some injury after effects and is finding out what it is like to be the guy that every team doubles because they don't consider your other WRs to be threats. Adams has missed how many games so far? (that may not be fair because Smith has missed games this season as well and as far as we know both are fine or will be fine when they resume play. I like Adams a lot and wouldn't swap him for Smith on our roster). Monty is a rookie and now he has an ankle sprain (again, not knowing his availability it may not be fair and I like him a lot as well. I wouldn't swap him for Smith either) IMO we could jettison Janis and Abby and find two guys with as much potential and possible more football acumen and reliability (health wise) on some other teams practice squad. So far Jones has been our best and most reliable receiver. You know, that old washed up guy who couldn't make it on the Raiders and Giants. That guy who would be our #4 or 5 WR at best and take reps away from those promising youngsters Janis and Abby. Steve Smith would give us that threat other teams would have to acknowledge and it would likely free up Cobb a bit. Hell, I'd even offer a trade of Janis or Abby for Smith rather than a draft pick.

I don't think it will happen and to be honest from a long term point of view I'm not sure I would like it to happen but I do know for a fact that a 2015 lineup replacing Abby or Janis with Smith would be a HUGE upgrade.

I honestly think a lot of our passing game woes can be put on Lacy's shoulders. If he is in there busting out 100 yards a game it opens up our passing game. Hopefully the bye week gives him a chance to heal up and if not hopefully Starks' performance against the Chargers will cause other teams to realize that we still have a rushingf attack and it can't be ignored.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
like James Jones would be our #5

like you don't bring in a washed up old veteran like James Jones to steal reps away from a promising developmental player.

In case you missed it Jordy is on IR and won't play this year. Cobb may still be suffering some injury after effects and is finding out what it is like to be the guy that every team doubles because they don't consider your other WRs to be threats. Adams has missed how many games so far? (that may not be fair because Smith has missed games this season as well and as far as we know both are fine or will be fine when they resume play. I like Adams a lot and wouldn't swap him for Smith on our roster). Monty is a rookie and now he has an ankle sprain (again, not knowing his availability it may not be fair and I like him a lot as well. I wouldn't swap him for Smith either) IMO we could jettison Janis and Abby and find two guys with as much potential and possible more football acumen and reliability (health wise) on some other teams practice squad. So far Jones has been our best and most reliable receiver. You know, that old washed up guy who couldn't make it on the Raiders and Giants. That guy who would be our #4 or 5 WR at best and take reps away from those promising youngsters Janis and Abby. Steve Smith would give us that threat other teams would have to acknowledge and it would likely free up Cobb a bit. Hell, I'd even offer a trade of Janis or Abby for Smith rather than a draft pick.

I don't think it will happen and to be honest from a long term point of view I'm not sure I would like it to happen but I do know for a fact that a 2015 lineup replacing Abby or Janis with Smith would be a HUGE upgrade.

I honestly think a lot of our passing game woes can be put on Lacy's shoulders. If he is in there busting out 100 yards a game it opens up our passing game. Hopefully the bye week gives him a chance to heal up and if not hopefully Starks' performance against the Chargers will cause other teams to realize that we still have a rushingf attack and it can't be ignored.

wow you really like quoting me. and you really like apples and oranges comparisons. if you read the james jones thread from back then, i was very much in favor of bringing him in. because? it actually made sense. steve smith does not.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is Smith's contract up after this season. I know he has said he is retiring but players can change their mind. He did announce his intentions prior to knowing the Ravens would be so bad so you can't blame it on that.

D

Deleted member 6794

Is Smith's contract up after this season. I know he has said he is retiring but players can change their mind. He did announce his intentions prior to knowing the Ravens would be so bad so you can't blame it on that.

Smith is under contract for 2016 at $3 million with no guaranteed money though.

It seems though the Ravens won't trade him and Smith has said he would quit if shipped to another team.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...quit-if-ravens-traded-me?campaign=Twitter_atn

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Smith is under contract for 2016 at $3 million with no guaranteed money though.

It seems though the Ravens won't trade him and Smith has said he would quit if shipped to another team.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...quit-if-ravens-traded-me?campaign=Twitter_atn

Thanks, I have OTC on a favorite but I was too lazy to look. I figured you'd help me out;) I guess part of what I was getting at was would it have to be a one year rental. If we did trade for him and he decided not to retire he would be under contract. Obviously the numbers might need tweaking but we would have the upper hand other than the retirement thing.

I read that about Smith saying he would quit if traded. Seems he is pretty serious about the retirement thing. Doesn't change the fact that it would be good for the Packers if they could trade for him though. IMO that is.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read that about Smith saying he would quit if traded. Seems he is pretty serious about the retirement thing. Doesn't change the fact that it would be good for the Packers if they could trade for him though. IMO that is.

If he's going to quit if traded anyway, I would say it very much does change that fact.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Steve? This is Aaron, do you like catching touchdowns? " problem solved

There's a lot more to it than that. Do we know that he would be interested in moving to Green Bay mid-season? Uprooting his wife and 4 kids when he's already set for life? No? We have no idea. So we really have no reason to not take what he says about quitting if traded at face value. He was already planning on retiring at the end of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts