Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a lot more to it than that. Do we know that he would be interested in moving to Green Bay mid-season? Uprooting his wife and 4 kids when he's already set for life? No? We have no idea. So we really have no reason to not take what he says about quitting if traded at face value. He was already planning on retiring at the end of the season.
Why would he uproot his wife n kids from Carolina to Green Bay for 3 months?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll chime in again, No, I don't think has a very good chance of happening at all, regardless of his contract, retirement, quit if traded statements.

I think he'd be an immediate impact player on this offense if he was signed on saturday and played on Sunday. This guy plays with an edge and has his entire career. I don't think he'd be anything but an asset at this point in his career. Yes I like Jones, a lot. Yes I like Cobb a lot, I think adams has potential, but he's also shown he's not there yet either. Plenty of miscommunications with Rodgers, i think that will change, but it hasn't yet and so far this year he has yet to really get on the field. Smith may not be Nelson, but he creates explosive plays, still at this stage. It's rare for someone to out compete him to make a play. I don't see how that would be bad on this team. I don't think Janis or Abbrederis are even going to sniff the level that Smith is at right now, so while I'd like to see them contribute more, I'd gladly take what Smith could offer right now.

I also think he's serious when he says he'd just quit if traded. I'd like to think this team is attractive enough to get him to reconsider if it was something they wanted to explore, but he seems like a guy that wants to play with "his" team. He doesn't want to go thru assimilating to a new locker room, a new city, a new team just to win a ring. He wants to do it with they guys he knows and trusts, you know, his teammates, or not at all. again, not a bad quality to have in a player.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would he uproot his wife n kids from Carolina to Green Bay for 3 months?

Ok, maybe he wouldn't, meaning he has to leave them for 3 months now. Do we know that he is interested in doing that, when he has basically said he isn't?

Its not just, hey I could go play with Aaron Rodgers and win a Super Bowl. Sounds awesome, but the real life decision has a lot more variables involved. He's at the tail end of his career. Does he want to start over for half a season, into a new locker room and new offensive system? From his comments, it's apparent that he doesn't.

- The Ravens have said they aren't trading him.

- Smith has said he'll quit if traded.

- The Packers haven't made a move like this mid-season in the TT era.

How much more evidence do we need that this has no chance of happening?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty long response to show that the whole trade thing isn't going to happen, when the only part of that questioned by Ivo was moving his family.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty long response to show that the whole trade thing isn't going to happen, when the only part of that questioned by Ivo was moving his family.
In any discussion/debate, I like to use as many relevant points as possible to support my argument. As this entire thread is based on the idea of trading for Steve Smith, I'm pretty sure that everything I wrote in that post was relevant to that discussion.

Sorry if anyone forced you to read it.

Last edited:

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Question for the forum: In 96-97, the SB season, at what point did the Packers add Andre Rison. I think he was known as a troublemaker too. I also remember him catching the first TD pass in that SB.

I still think the Packers are not at a point where they need to add another WR via a trade. And I doubt TT would do it anyway.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Question for the forum: In 96-97, the SB season, at what point did the Packers add Andre Rison. I think he was known as a troublemaker too. I also remember him catching the first TD pass in that SB.

I still think the Packers are not at a point where they need to add another WR via a trade. And I doubt TT would do it anyway.

Approximately Nov. 24th

Here is an article and what that author thought at the time the Packers signed Bad Moon Rison

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/19...1_andre-rison-quarterback-brett-favre-packers

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Approximately Nov. 24th

Here is an article and what that author thought at the time the Packers signed Bad Moon Rison

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/19...1_andre-rison-quarterback-brett-favre-packers
Thanks so much. And yeah I remember "Bad Moon Rison"! I think when even a troublemaker gets onto a club making a legit SB run, he can behave for at least as long as it takes to get the ring.

I think this team can wait a while though before it reaches that level of need. The next two games, especially the Carolina game, will tell us a lot about just what this team is capable of. Considering how long it takes Rodgers to develop chemistry and trust a receiver, adding someone now just seems like, if not a bad idea, an ineffective one.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Approximately Nov. 24th

The article you sent makes Steve Smith Sr. look like a choirboy compared to Rison. I had completely forgotten about 1) the sad state of the GB WR corps at that point and 2) the existing bad blood between Favre and Rison. Winning cures a lot of ills, doesn't it? Thanks again Pokerbrat. A very interesting read. I also forgot they picked Rison up from the waiver wire, and not via trade.

I think he played at least another season or two with the Packers after the SB win. I might be mistaken. He was certainly a key cog in getting to and winning the SB that year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think he played at least another season or two with the Packers after the SB win. I might be mistaken. He was certainly a key cog in getting to and winning the SB that year.

Packers cut him after that year and he went on to have an awesome year in KC.

My personal opinion is if the Packers feel the need to beef up their offensive production and/or acquire depth at WR/TE, now is the time to do it.....before the trade deadline. Because after that, the pickings are slim. I would much rather loose a 6th or 7th rounder and acquire a decent active player, then one that has been out of football or recently cut.

Maybe if that is a move TT is interested in, we will see it happen after the weekend games, when losing teams lose again and now know they are pretty much out of it for the year.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers cut him after that year and he went on to have an awesome year in KC.

My personal opinion is if the Packers feel the need to beef up their offensive production and/or acquire depth at WR/TE, now is the time to do it.....before the trade deadline. Because after that, the pickings are slim. I would much rather loose a 6th or 7th rounder and acquire a decent active player, then one that has been out of football or recently cut.

Maybe if that is a move TT is interested in, we will see it happen after the weekend games, when losing teams lose again and now know they are pretty much out of it for the year.
Interesting points. They do need help/depth at TE. I don't think Richard Rodgers is going to get much better than he is now. Very good hands, but not fast enough to run seam routes or add yards after catch. Not sure where Beckman is or if he can be activated, or maybe he's gone for all I know.

I know all the talk about trading for a WR is about a speed guy who can provide a deep threat. I'd be ok with another JJ-like receiver who can be a reliable target for ARod, and good enough to draw attention from the D, and ideally away from Cobb. Anquan Boldin comes to mind. He's still with the niners and he must be getting up there in years but it seems he always puts together decent years. The Niners aren't going anywhere and I think a 6th or 7th round pick would be good value. I don't know what the salary cap implications would be. There just aren't enough good TEs around the league, and WR is probably the greater need. And I think Quarless is returning soon.

So we'll see. Can you think of any other WRs that fit this bill? And you raise another good point, make the trade now. That also provides a little time for someone to be worked into the system.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he's going to quit if traded anyway, I would say it very much does change that fact.

I guess there is that. I'll add "if he doesn't quit" to my comment.

There's a lot more to it than that. Do we know that he would be interested in moving to Green Bay mid-season? Uprooting his wife and 4 kids when he's already set for life? No? We have no idea. So we really have no reason to not take what he says about quitting if traded at face value. He was already planning on retiring at the end of the season.

If it's just through February he certainly wouldn't have to uproot his family. actually it wouldn't even have to be through February, just through February 7th. 3 months and a week. I think he could handle that.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, maybe he wouldn't, meaning he has to leave them for 3 months now. Do we know that he is interested in doing that, when he has basically said he isn't?

Its not just, hey I could go play with Aaron Rodgers and win a Super Bowl. Sounds awesome, but the real life decision has a lot more variables involved. He's at the tail end of his career. Does he want to start over for half a season, into a new locker room and new offensive system? From his comments, it's apparent that he doesn't.

- The Ravens have said they aren't trading him.

- Smith has said he'll quit if traded.

- The Packers haven't made a move like this mid-season in the TT era.

How much more evidence do we need that this has no chance of happening?

1. Players say **** like I'm not playing if I get traded then it's a different song n dance when it happens

2. While the trade makes complete sense to 90% of the board you're right it's very likely not to happen, and if you don't like talking about something that you don't think will happen you should try not clicking on the thread, it's a unquie idea

3. If you don't like threads about mid season trades that you don't think will happen you should definitely NEVER EVER dig up that thread on beastmode

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So we'll see. Can you think of any other WRs that fit this bill? And you raise another good point, make the trade now. That also provides a little time for someone to be worked into the system.
This time of year you read and hear all sorts of things. Have read about Boldin, Roddy White, Alshon Jeffrey, Smith, Vernon Davis, etc. I think most of it is just media and fan buzz. If I had a Crystal Ball and knew that TT was even thinking about it, I would look at the teams that are in rebuilding mode, lost season and have Vets who's contracts are about up.

Boldin would be an interesting possibility for sure, but at the age of 35, I am guessing most would think he is too old to have stats like he did last year.....83 catches for 1062 yards. :coffee: But I doubt the Packers would want the salary cap hit Boldin would come with.

Last edited:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Players say **** like I'm not playing if I get traded then it's a different song n dance when it happens

2. While the trade makes complete sense to 90% of the board you're right it's very likely not to happen, and if you don't like talking about something that you don't think will happen you should try not clicking on the thread, it's a unquie idea

3. If you don't like threads about mid season trades that you don't think will happen you should definitely NEVER EVER dig up that thread on beastmode

1) I just think it's hilarious that a guy literally says, 'I'm quitting if traded, ' and he obviously knows his situation better than anyone, the Ravens literally say they're not trading him, and we just assume they're both lying.

2.) Any generic 'let's add a good player to our team' is generally going to sound like a good idea to many people. It doesn't make it likely, or even always a good fit. Also please show me where I said it was a bad thread or that I didn't like talking about it. I simply presented the multiple reasons for the counter argument of why this won't happen. I also think it's an unnecessary panic reaction to the offense the last few weeks when there are plenty of internal reasons why the offense is in a slump. We already added Jones, it's working out great with him, and we have plenty of young guys getting healthy after the bye that deserve opportunities as well. We don't need to add a veteran receiver every time there is an injury or issue with the O. Did you start this just for everyone to come in and agree with you?

3). And Lynch made about 10 times more sense for us at the time and still didn't happen, which tells you the likelihood of Smith happening. Lynch also wasn't at the tail end of his career and publicly announcing that he will quit if traded.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do we really need to go back and dig up the numerous examples of players, coaches, GMs, et. al. saying something publicly that didn't happen? Why do you think we ought to automatically believe these guys instead of automatically think they're saying what's in their best interest, true or not?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do we really need to go back and dig up the numerous examples of players, coaches, GMs, et. al. saying something publicly that didn't happen? Why do you think we ought to automatically believe these guys instead of automatically think they're saying what's in their best interest, true or not?

And why is it in his best interest? What does Steve Smith gain by lying and saying he'll quit if traded? He could have said 'I'm not worried about trade talk, I'm worried about my next opponent,' and it wouldn't have stirred up a thing. So what is Smith's supposed motive here to convince us that he's just making it up and entice us to give up a draft pick for a guy who may never play a down for us?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
And why is it in his best interest? What does Steve Smith gain by lying and saying he'll quit if traded? He could have said 'I'm not worried about trade talk, I'm worried about my next opponent,' and it wouldn't have stirred up a thing. So what is Smith's supposed motive here to convince us that he's just making it up and entice us to give up a draft pick for a guy who may never play a down for us?

Research Keith Jackson being traded to Packers

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Research Keith Jackson being traded to Packers

Aside from the fact that Jackson was at a far different point in his career at that time than Smith is now, I don't think that a somewhat related example from 20 years ago under a much different Packer regime had much to do with the team now.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Putting aside the fact that the Ravens and Smith have both completely shot this thing down already, there are other factors:

- The offensive struggles have had a lot to do with playing tough defenses, a lack of a run game with Lacy's struggles, and the absence of Adams.

-Adams is returning. Montgomery is on the rise. Janis had a career game last week. We've got a ton of young talent at WR, we already added Jones, and we are a draft and develop team. Do we want to stunt them further?

- This team values chemistry greatly. Obviously, that's going quite well right now. Maybe Smith would fit in seamlessly. Maybe he would be frustrated not being the man and most targeted, and cause tension. Do we want to roll the dice on that when we have reason to believe already that the issues on O will improve?

- Are we just going to assume at 36 he comes in and immediately integrates into the offense, learns the playbook quickly in a type of offense that he's never played in before? In an offense that likes to spread the ball?

I get on paper why people like the idea, but I think it's a shortsighted move, and not comparable to the Rison signing from the 90s. I'd prefer more reps and experience for our young guys who are going to be the future of this WR corps going forward, while guys like Smith and Jones are not.

I also think, for multiple reasons already stated, that this has about a .000001 percent chance of happening.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Aside from the fact that Jackson was at a far different point in his career at that time than Smith is now, I don't think that a somewhat related example from 20 years ago under a much different Packer regime had much to do with the team now.
Nothing to do with team now or then...

Only your point a player Will quit if traded...Jackson refused to come to GB but after a while he did.

Players will LIE so will teams and coaches...So until it happens don't just assume he will quit

http://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...een-bay/05bcf510-c6fa-4be4-8f62-43dc239ba579/

For the longest time, none of it did any good. Keith Jackson, plain and simple, didn't want to go to Green Bay even though he'd been traded to the Packers

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) I just think it's hilarious that a guy literally says, 'I'm quitting if traded, ' and he obviously knows his situation better than anyone, the Ravens literally say they're not trading him, and we just assume they're both lying.

2.) Any generic 'let's add a good player to our team' is generally going to sound like a good idea to many people. It doesn't make it likely, or even always a good fit. Also please show me where I said it was a bad thread or that I didn't like talking about it. I simply presented the multiple reasons for the counter argument of why this won't happen. I also think it's an unnecessary panic reaction to the offense the last few weeks when there are plenty of internal reasons why the offense is in a slump. We already added Jones, it's working out great with him, and we have plenty of young guys getting healthy after the bye that deserve opportunities as well. We don't need to add a veteran receiver every time there is an injury or issue with the O. Did you start this just for everyone to come in and agree with you?

3). And Lynch made about 10 times more sense for us at the time and still didn't happen, which tells you the likelihood of Smith happening. Lynch also wasn't at the tail end of his career and publicly announcing that he will quit if traded.
1. Nick Saban and so many more. Teams and players lost the benefit of the doubt a long time ago. im honestly shocked that anyone who has watched sports for more than a couple years would actually believe a team at face value.

2. No I didn't start it for people to agree with me but I think it's ridiculous the effort some make to oppose it. Stealing reps was pretty funny. You seem to be focused on building for the future with the comments about the younger players and smith being at the tail end of his career. This isn't about the future anymore, it's about winning now.

The trade makes sense when you have a team on the verge of a Super Bowl. Sorry that you don't think adding a #1 WR is a good idea.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Nick Saban and so many more. Teams and players lost the benefit of the doubt a long time ago. im honestly shocked that anyone who has watched sports for more than a couple years would actually believe a team at face value.

2. No I didn't start it for people to agree with me but I think it's ridiculous the effort some make to oppose it. Stealing reps was pretty funny. You seem to be focused on building for the future with the comments about the younger players and smith being at the tail end of his career. This isn't about the future anymore, it's about winning now.

The trade makes sense when you have a team on the verge of a Super Bowl. Sorry that you don't think adding a #1 WR is a good idea.

Well that was the snobbiest post I've read in a long time...

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Oh baloney it's not about the future. It's always about the future. We've been 'on the verge' of a Super Bowl every year for the last 6 with the possible exception of 2013. And the reason we're in that position is because our GM doesn't stunt the growth of our up and coming players every time temptation presents itself, because believe me, this isn't the first opportunity we've had in the TT regime to add a piece midseason. To act like it's 'funny' to oppose throwing valuable developmental game time away from guys like Adams and Montgomery shows how much disconnect you have with how this organization is actually run.

The present and future aren't mutually exclusive. No, we didn't add Lynch in 2010, and if I recall, it still worked out pretty well for us that year.

You think it's 'ridiculous' the effort that people make to oppose your idea to trading for Steve Smith? I gave you many rational, logical points why it isn't the right move. You've either ignored or turned your nose up at all of them, we're not going to agree, so at this point let's just wait for the trade deadline so we can put this nonsense behind us.
you're right it's very likely not to happen,

Yes, correct. Meaning the ones in the organization who make the decisions on this kind of thing disagree with you that this is a good idea. Yet you say I am ridiculous for opposing it.

And trust me, I'll gladly eat crow it this somehow comes to fruition. But it won't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts