Steve Smith suggested trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

childerm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I would love to see more depth at the WR/TE position, I think its unlikely that TT makes a trade. The only chance I can see TT making a trade would be if Cobb, Jones, or Adams went down for the season. Even if one went down after the trade deadline TT could still trade for a receiver if their respected team put them up on the waiver board, though usually teams don't put big names or appealing players on the waiver board due to the unlikeliness of them being picked up. But TT would only do this if a player was lost for the season. If you trade for a waivered player after the trade deadline that player becomes ineligible for the postseason unless he replaces a player that was put on the IR.

Lets hope this situation never comes up though. I don't want to see any more players lost for the season. We have enough of those already.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh baloney it's not about the future. It's always about the future. We've been 'on the verge' of a Super Bowl every year for the last 6 with the possible exception of 2013. And the reason we're in that position is because our GM doesn't stunt the growth of our up and coming players every time temptation prevents itself, because believe me, this isn't the first opportunity we've had in the TT regime to add a piece midseason. To act like it's 'funny' to oppose throwing valuable developmental game time away from guys like Adams and Montgomery shows how much disconnect you have with how this organization is actually run

Maybe we have been on the verge because of TT but never really got over the hump for same reason? Meaning he is to rigid to dip into the unknown with fa and trades..

Not saying I hate it, just the opposite.. I applaud his style.. And you can search my post for years and it will be the same..

Myself and I think ivo don't think it will happen, but it wouldn't hurt at all if they got him for low draft pick..

And don't just assume people on this forum don't know how the team is ran.. You might be very surprised by who knows insider things

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe we have been on the verge because of TT but never really got over the hump for same reason? Meaning he is to rigid to dip into the unknown with fa and trades..

Not saying I hate it, just the opposite.. I applaud his style.. And you can search my post for years and it will be the same..

Myself and I think ivo don't think it will happen, but it wouldn't hurt at all if they got him for low draft pick..

And don't just assume people on this forum don't know how the team is ran.. You might be very surprised by who knows insider things

Well I disagree that we haven't gotten over the hump..we've been competitive year in and year out, won a title, been to 3 NFCCG in the TT era, always in position if we get it done in the playoffs. If you're asking why we haven't won more Super Bowls in the Rodgers era I would argue that it's because it's really really hard to do and you have 31 other GMs attempting the same goal.

Even the Patriots, who are pretty much the gold standard for being competitive, would be in an 11 year Super Bowl drought right now if it weren't for a terrible last minute INT last year. If you look in the Rodgers starting era, there isn't a single franchise that has won more than one. Not one. Even if you want to go back to '07 to include the Giants, is it because they have a better run organization than us? No, they got hot and played their best football at the right time..twice. It wasn't some big midseason acquisition that put them over. And I don't believe we're missing out on titles because of a lack of that strategy.

Go back and look at recent mid-season trades in modern NFL history and tell me how often and how much of a correlation there is between a big mid season acquisition putting a team over as the eventual champion. We look at only the raw talent acquisition (i.e. adding a #1 WR = good) without considering any of the follow up questions. How will this affect the locker room environment and team relationships? How will this affect Rodgers' chemistry with his other receivers? Will he tend to ignore the new guy because of a lack of trust and familiarity? Will he look to the new guy too often and miss open looks elsewhere? Will we lose out on potential opportunities with guys like Adams and Montgomery who could have been valuable assets in the playoffs? Will a 36 and 31 year old starting wide receivers have any gas left by the time we get to late January? Is it even realistic to expect a guy who has never played in a system like ours or spent a day with us in training camp to pick up on everything in a couple month crash course and just make a seamless transition here?

There are a ton of things to consider, and all we look at is, hey, Steve Smith is really good and worth a draft pick.

Also, I don't doubt that there are people here with insider information. I do doubt that trading for Steve Smith is based on insider information, or anything more than pure speculation.

Reaction score
Listen, anything can happen, however, At this juncture, this goes against the grain of the draft and develop style we feel so strongly about. It sends a message that we are not confident in our personnel by virtue of emitting a lack of patience and trust in their development. In short, it sends a poor message.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I disagree that we haven't gotten over the hump..we've been competitive year in and year out, won a title, been to 3 NFCCG in the TT era, always in position if we get it done in the playoffs. If you're asking why we haven't won more Super Bowls in the Rodgers era I would argue that it's because it's really really hard to do and you have 31 other GMs attempting the same goal.

Even the Patriots, who are pretty much the gold standard for being competitive, would be in an 11 year Super Bowl drought right now if it weren't for a terrible last minute INT last year. If you look in the Rodgers starting era, there isn't a single franchise that has won more than one. Not one. Even if you want to go back to '07 to include the Giants, is it because they have a better run organization than us? No, they got hot and played their best football at the right time..twice. It wasn't some big midseason acquisition that put them over. And I don't believe we're missing out on titles because of a lack of that strategy.

Go back and look at recent mid-season trades in modern NFL history and tell me how often and how much of a correlation there is between a big mid season acquisition putting a team over as the eventual champion. We look at only the raw talent acquisition (i.e. adding a #1 WR = good) without considering any of the follow up questions. How will this affect the locker room environment and team relationships? How will this affect Rodgers' chemistry with his other receivers? Will he tend to ignore the new guy because of a lack of trust and familiarity? Will he look to the new guy too often and miss open looks elsewhere? Will we lose out on potential opportunities with guys like Adams and Montgomery who could have been valuable assets in the playoffs? Will a 36 and 31 year old starting wide receivers have any gas left by the time we get to late January? Is it even realistic to expect a guy who has never played in a system like ours or spent a day with us in training camp to pick up on everything in a couple month crash course and just make a seamless transition here?

There are a ton of things to consider, and all we look at is, hey, Steve Smith is really good and worth a draft pick.

Also, I don't doubt that there are people here with insider information. I do doubt that trading for Steve Smith is based on insider information, or anything more than pure speculation.
Wow all that for just saying you don't agree with the trade

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow all that for just saying you don't agree with the trade

Well, you already knew that. I tactfully elaborated on and explained my points to the best of my ability. Not sure what the problem is there.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Listen, anything can happen, however, At this juncture, this goes against the grain of the draft and develop style we feel so strongly about. It sends a message that we are not confident in our personnel by virtue of emitting a lack of patience and trust in their development. In short, it sends a poor message.

Another factor I overlooked. It doesn't send a great message of confidence to a returning Adams at this point, who is a big part of our future.

This is still a young man's game. Smith has peaked. Sky is the limit for Adams.

Another thing to consider is that a rental of Smith probably costs us Abbrederis, too. We won't carry 7 WR so we'll have to cut him and give up 3 cost controlled seasons of a WR that we obviously still feel has promise. It's possible that we could get him back onto the PS, but not certain.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I think this team can wait a while though before it reaches that level of need. The next two games, especially the Carolina game, will tell us a lot about just what this team is capable of.

The trade deadline is on November 3rd, so the Packers won't be able to trade for any help after the Carolina game.

Even if one went down after the trade deadline TT could still trade for a receiver if their respected team put them up on the waiver board, though usually teams don't put big names or appealing players on the waiver board due to the unlikeliness of them being picked up. But TT would only do this if a player was lost for the season. If you trade for a waivered player after the trade deadline that player becomes ineligible for the postseason unless he replaces a player that was put on the IR.

That's not how the waiver system works in the NFL. After the trade deadline all players released must pass through the waiver wire and are assigned to teams having made a claim based on the inverse order of their win-loss record.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

Aside of the fact that the Packers most likely aren't interested in trading for Smith and the Ravens don't plan on doing it I have a hard time understanding why any Packers fan would be opposed against adding him to the roster.

IMO there's absolutely no doubt Smith would be a huge immediate upgrade at receiver. It might hinder the development of some of the younger receivers although I wonder if that is really true with Abbrederis getting a total of three snaps with Adams and Montgomery out and Janis only seeing the field because of injuries. With both under contract for another two seasons there's lots of time during next year's offseason to develop them.

On the other hand it would significantly increase the chance of winning a Super Bowl this season, which is the ultimate goal every season (it seems some posters have forgotten about that). As HRE has correctly pointed out on several occasions it's probable the next two seasons present the best chance for the Packers to win another title as it's probable the team won't be able to bring back all core free agents over the next two offseasons.

In addition by acquiring him at the trade deadline the move would only add $1.35 million to the cap which wouldn't drastically reduce the team's chances to re-sign their free agents over the next two years.

Another thing to consider is that even with Adams returning and Montgomery hopefully being good to go opponents will continue to double team Cobb as there's no reason to shift the coverage away from him. That would change immediately with having Smith in the lineup as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aside of the fact that the Packers most likely aren't interested in trading for Smith and the Ravens don't plan on doing it I have a hard time understanding why any Packers fan would be opposed against adding him to the roster.

IMO there's absolutely no doubt Smith would be a huge immediate upgrade at receiver. It might hinder the development of some of the younger receivers although I wonder if that is really true with Abbrederis getting a total of three snaps with Adams and Montgomery out and Janis only seeing the field because of injuries. With both under contract for another two seasons there's lots of time during next year's offseason to develop them.

On the other hand it would significantly increase the chance of winning a Super Bowl this season, which is the ultimate goal every season (it seems some posters have forgotten about that). As HRE has correctly pointed out on several occasions it's probable the next two seasons present the best chance for the Packers to win another title as it's probable the team won't be able to bring back all core free agents over the next two offseasons.

In addition by acquiring him at the trade deadline the move would only add $1.35 million to the cap which wouldn't drastically reduce the team's chances to re-sign their free agents over the next two years.

Another thing to consider is that even with Adams returning and Montgomery hopefully being good to go opponents will continue to double team Cobb as there's no reason to shift the coverage away from him. That would change immediately with having Smith in the lineup as well.

While I don't deny that you bring up a lot of good points, I stand by what I said before that there are so many other factors to consider when you add a guy like that which simply the raw value of adding him to the starting lineup doesn't account for.

What this move does is deviate from our formula. One that is clearly working. We are the most injured team in the NFL so far this season; we're also unbeaten and the pretty clear NFC favorites so far.

All this is probably moot as it doesn't sound like the Ravens are willing to move him and doesn't sound like he's looking to start over right now.

D

Deleted member 6794

We are the most injured team in the NFL so far this season; we're also unbeaten and the pretty clear NFC favorites so far.

While it may seem like the Packers have suffered more injuries than any other team there are currently 19 teams in the league which have had more games lost to injury so far.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 6794

Not sure what your source is on that, but according to this we're the most injured, and have had the most games missed.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/32for32x151021/ranking-most-banged-nfl-teams-1-32

I took the stats from the link below. They obviously only included games lost so far and didn't use the total amount of games players on IR will miss the rest of the season.

http://www.mangameslost.com/nfl-week-6-games-missed-due-to-injury-and-tmitt-metrics-october-21-2015/

BTW I don't know why the author of the article you linked to considers Boyd, Richardson, Quarless and Perry as starters.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I took the stats from the link below. They obviously only included games lost so far and didn't use the total amount of games players on IR will miss the rest of the season.

http://www.mangameslost.com/nfl-week-6-games-missed-due-to-injury-and-tmitt-metrics-october-21-2015/

BTW I don't know why the author of the article you linked to considers Boyd, Richardson, Quarless and Perry as starters.

Injuries that are for entire year should be counted IMO...

Rob Demovsky who was quoted in article, so he probably game them the list...

*edit*

They aren't saying starters---they are saying "starts"

Example--Cowboy section..They have Dunbar as in the "Start" section with his misses..He wasn't their starter..

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the likeleihood of this trade going down is very slim as well. That doesn't mean we can't discuss it. I also think that slowing the development of the young players would be the last thing a GM would consider if he thought any player

This time of year you read and hear all sorts of things. Have read about Boldin, Roddy White, Alshon Jeffrey, Smith, Vernon Davis, etc. I think most of it is just media and fan buzz. If I had a Crystal Ball and knew that TT was even thinking about it, I would look at the teams that are in rebuilding mode, lost season and have Vets who's contracts are about up.

Boldin would be an interesting possibility for sure, but at the age of 35, I am guessing most would think he is too old to have stats like he did last year.....83 catches for 1062 yards. :coffee: But I doubt the Packers would want the salary cap hit Boldin would come with.

I agree its mostly fan and media hype but what moron would think to put Alshon Jeffery on that list. IMO he is probably one of maybe 5 untouchables on the Bears team. Not that they wouldn't part with him if a ridiculous offer came up but they are looking at him to be one of the keys to their future and not by getting them draft picks.

The other guys yeah because they are old and if they are not declining already they most likely will be soon. Another reason he doesn't belong on the list is that he wouldn't come cheap. I'm guessing BOldin, White, Smith, maybe even Davis and other guys thatwould fit the bill could be had for a 6th round

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, you already knew that. I tactfully elaborated on and explained my points to the best of my ability. Not sure what the problem is there.

You know how it is. Some people can barely manage a "trade bad...ugh"

Mat Bastian

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they can get him for a ham sandwich, fine. Otherwise, wasting a draft pick to rent a guy for half a season makes little sense for a team that is philosophically devoted to draft and develop. Which young player with upside do you want to cut to make room for a guy already running on fumes? He would need to be Einstein in order to learn the playbook well enough to contribute meaningful snaps anytime soon. If TT makes this move it may be a sign that Armageddon is upon us.
For a team on the cusp of a superbowl, a rental on the cheap is a fine option. I don't want to waste one of Rodger's best years on an injured and inexperienced receiving corp when a 6/7th rounder for a proven stud could fix a lot of problems.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steve Smith would be a perfect fit here idc what anyone says. Here's a guy that will take pressure off all the other Wrs and play with passion. How is that a bad thing?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steve Smith would be a perfect fit here idc what anyone says. Here's a guy that will take pressure off all the other Wrs and play with passion. How is that a bad thing?

Oh you know, that whole hampering the development of the young superstars and all that jazz.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

To tell you the truth I kinda like Steve Smith Sr myself, but Teddy T just isn't about acquiring WRs by trade, plus he's getting pretty high up there in age. Still in pretty good shape but those injuries are starting to nag at him a bit more at his age and they catch up to you eventually just like they did to Donald Driver, and he was always in good shape.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I've already several times given reasons why it *could* be a bad thing. It could be a good thing too, but it's not as sure of a thing as some are making it out to be.

In any event, couldn't we had said the same about Andre Johnson back in the spring? Or any other big name acquisition for that matter?

Come on, deep down, we all know this is a trade that isn't coming to fruition. Ted's been here 10 years. We know how much he is even considering this.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In any event, couldn't we had said the same about Andre Johnson back in the spring? Or any other big name acquisition for that matter?

Not really, I think Smith still has something left to give. I'm not so sure about Johnson. The same holds true for guys like Roddy White and Anquan Boldin who's names keep being brought up as well. I'd be in favor of a trade for Smith, not so much those other guys. I've always liked those other guys and a few years ago I may have said yes but not now.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only difference being Smith is dominating this season and Johnson isnt.

D

Deleted member 6794

To tell you the truth I kinda like Steve Smith Sr myself, but Teddy T just isn't about acquiring WRs by trade, plus he's getting pretty high up there in age. Still in pretty good shape but those injuries are starting to nag at him a bit more at his age and they catch up to you eventually just like they did to Donald Driver, and he was always in good shape.

Smith has 41 receptions for 588 yards and 3 TDs in 2015, so there´s no doubt he´s still capable of playing at a high level this season. He would be a rental player only for some regular season games and the playoffs, there wouldn´t be any reason to worry about age catching up with him after this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.