Steve Smith suggested trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

MplsPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously, what's the point of this thread? It's more than highly unlikely that TT would trade for and aging Steve Smith or Roddy White. Hell, he probably wouldn't have signed either as a free agent in their prime. It's not how we operate, give up a draft pick for a 36 yr old 10 game rental? How about everyone stop panicking and let's see what happens after the bye when guys can heal up? I have a feeling the offense isn't just going to suck the rest of the season.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously, what's the point of this thread? It's more than highly unlikely that TT would trade for and aging Steve Smith or Roddy White. Hell, he probably wouldn't have signed either as a free agent in their prime. It's not how we operate, give up a draft pick for a 36 yr old 10 game rental? How about everyone stop panicking and let's see what happens after the bye when guys can heal up? I have a feeling the offense isn't just going to suck the rest of the season.

Its other people (pundits) that keep saying we need to trade, you rarely here that from Packer fans.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
add me to the list that doubts this happens, but I'd take Smith over Roddy White in a heart beat. Maybe I've just seen his best plays this year, but I'm amazed that a guy that's too small and too old can play that hard and still be that good. Give me all the stats you want, I haven't seen any Packer WR outside of maybe James Jones playing at the level Smith Sr. is playing at, at least the plays I saw, this year.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Smith has always done two things very well dating back to his prime in Carolina. Catching passes outside the numbers and catching passes down the sideline. Those also happen to be our greatest weaknesses at the moment, and even with Adams coming back we have little depth there and though he is improving, I'm not sure if Janis will ever become anything more than a deep threat and below average route runner. At least he seems to have the playbook down.

Anybody else remember Steve Smith's 244 with 2 td game against the Bears in the playoffs for the Panthers??

But with all that being said TT probably won't give up a draft pick for a rental.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score

My thoughts exactly.

Those who are saying Smith is an upgrade, I don't even know that that matters that much. You don't bring in an old guy for 10 games to steal reps from a promising developmental player.

Just one of those awkward fantasy threads that people try very hard to justify. We have plenty to talk about at this point in a great season without getting weird lol

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
In TT's decisions on matters like this I trust.....I think the biggest factor in a trade right now is depth at a position like WR. If nobody gets hurt the rest of the way, we are fine. But you loose Cobb, Jones or Adams for the season and we are in a bit of trouble. Once that trade deadline is over, you are replacing one of those 3 with a street FA. If this was a rebuilding year, this whole thing is mute, but it isn't. So if grabbing a proven Vet, that will fit into the chemistry of our team, for a late round pick and could impact our road to the Super Bowl, I'm on board. Hell if the Raiders would part with him, I would love to have Woodson back, just for his experience, leadership and fire on the field.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do think we need to make a trade for a WR, but we should look elsewhere.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I know it wasn't TT at the time but they brought in "Bad Moon" for a Super Bowl run. Smith can still play and I would rather have another guy that can produce right away then the fear of "maybe not."

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Those who are saying Smith is an upgrade, I don't even know that that matters that much. You don't bring in an old guy for 10 games to steal reps from a promising developmental player.
IMO there is almost zero chance Thompson will trade for Smith but isn't this a reason not to bring in Jones who is 'stealing reps from promising developmental players'?

I agree with those who say they'll be fine when Adams and Montgomery are back. In addition to a hopefully healthier Cobb and Jones, Janis has added some actual game experience.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm reminded of the late season waiver claim of "Bad Moon" Rison, a candidate for the "Baggage Hall of Fame". There was even a war of words between he and Favre dating back to the offseason when Wolf expressed interest in acquiring him:

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/19...1_andre-rison-quarterback-brett-favre-packers

While Rison was only 29 years old, he was 2 years removed from his best seasons and had dropped to journeyman status.

He didn't add much in the regular season, but he was an important playoff contributor.

How seriously this idea, or any other WR acquisition, should be considered is largely dependent on the prognosis for Cobb, Adams and Montgomery. That is difficult to judge.

Last edited by a moderator:

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO there is almost zero chance Thompson will trade for Smith but isn't this a reason not to bring in Jones who is 'stealing reps from promising developmental players'?

I agree with those who say they'll be fine when Adams and Montgomery are back. In addition to a hopefully healthier Cobb and Jones, Janis has added some actual game experience.

If we already had Smith, then yeah, this would be a reason to not bring in Jones. But that's rewriting history. We already had Jones, and now we're talking about Smith for some reason. Apples and oranges.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If we already had Smith, then yeah, this would be a reason to not bring in Jones. But that's rewriting history. We already had Jones, and now we're talking about Smith for some reason. Apples and oranges.
Honest question: Do you think Smith offers an obvious upgrade but the reason not to acquire him is it would steal reps from Janis (or Abby)?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Honest question: Do you think Smith offers an obvious upgrade but the reason not to acquire him is it would steal reps from Janis (or Abby)?

Smith is a huge talent upgrade over both Janis and/or Abby and you really can't worry about their reps if it means winning a SB. Personally, I would love to see Smith or another quality veteran WR on this team for a 6th or 7th round pick, but it has to be someone who isn't a cancer as well as someone who AR can trust quickly. Don't know either of those things about Smith.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There is no "we" to it when discussing Smith. Pundits keep bringing these trade ideas up on blogs and websites and they get posted here, so naturally "we" discuss the ideas that others outside of the Packer nation seem to want to cram down our throats. People on the outside seem to think we need help at WR. I'm torn on that idea personally.

But either way, these "trade for a WR" ideas are being bred outside of our fan sphere.

D

Deleted member 6794

Personally, I would love to see Smith or another quality veteran WR on this team for a 6th or 7th round pick, but it has to be someone who isn't a cancer as well as someone who AR can trust quickly. Don't know either of those things about Smith.

Another thing to consider is the remaining cap hit for a veteran wide receiver for this season. Smith (out of the ones mentioned in this thread) would present the best option regarding the salary cap with a cap hit of under $1.6 million when acquired at the trade deadline.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, 1 year rentals on a player for a team going for a Super Bowl run isn't exactly unprecedented. If you think the team has a legit shot at winning it all, which we do as Packers, then you go all in. However, trading for a player like Smith or Roddy White isn't exactly breaking the bank or hurting our cap either. They both have low end contracts and for only one season, there is zero downside to trading for either.

....unless you're worried about them stealing reps from Janis or Abby. That is the only downside to it, but in reality, is it really a downside?

D

Deleted member 6794

Also, 1 year rentals on a player for a team going for a Super Bowl run isn't exactly unprecedented. If you think the team has a legit shot at winning it all, which we do as Packers, then you go all in. However, trading for a player like Smith or Roddy White isn't exactly breaking the bank or hurting our cap either. They both have low end contracts and for only one season, there is zero downside to trading for either.

....unless you're worried about them stealing reps from Janis or Abby. That is the only downside to it, but in reality, is it really a downside?

With Rodgers still in his prime there's no reason for Thompson to go all in for this season. He still has to make sure the team is in a good position entering next season.

You're right that acquiring Smith wouldn't result in huge negative ramifications for the Packers salary cap.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there was ever a "TT type of trade", I think Steve Smith is it (attitude and all of that aside) - Because he'd come cheap and for a single season and we'd probably only have to trade a 6th or a 7th for him.

and Rodgers would be the best QB Smith ever played with. Hes put up HOF type of stats his entire career with average to above average QB's...........

Smith has been one of those rare WR's that makes the QB look good his whole career. For a guy his size, he has a large catch radius and he runs angry after the catch.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I might look for a TE, but a big no on Smith.

Between those two positions, we need help at WR more than TE right now. I think the team is happy with what they have at TE. Plus we just signed Henry to the PS and brought Perillo to the active roster.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You may be right, my eyes tell me if Ty is healthy, we are good at Reciever, but not much production from the TE position. I know I don't see what they do though.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Smith is a huge talent upgrade over both Janis and/or Abby and you really can't worry about their reps if it means winning a SB. Personally, I would love to see Smith or another quality veteran WR on this team for a 6th or 7th round pick, but it has to be someone who isn't a cancer as well as someone who AR can trust quickly. Don't know either of those things about Smith.
I agree. IMO there are other reasons not to trade for Smith or another WR, but IMO limiting the snaps of Janis or Abby isn't a valid reason. And Thompson has talked a lot about how important locker room chemistry is - I don't think he's blowing smoke because his actions show otherwise.

Godgers12XLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to have Steve smith Sr. Lol at everybody trying to act like passionate armchair GMs saying "he's old and a cancer" or "it will slow down our young guys development".

He knows how to get open. There are times when smith looks unstoppable. He is a fierce competitor.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
cherry picking stats must be fun. Plus you mention how cobb is injured but fail to mention steve smith missed a game and is playing with a broken back. Goes along with the cherry picking.

Randall Cobb in 6 games
30 receptions 350 yards 4 TDs 1 100 yard game

James Jones in 6 games
21 receptions 424 yards 6 TDs 1 100 yard game

Steve Smith in 5 games
36 receptions 510 yards 3 TDs 3 100 yard games

Not back but ribs is what I thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online