Special Teams was the root of failure.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
When two teams are equal the games generally come down to special teams play, and our special teams sucked.

Seemed like we were always starting inside our 10yd line. We had one good kickoff return by shields who got tackled by the kicker!!! C'Mon Man! Then they give up a huge return at the end with a personal foul! C'Mon Man!!

Special teams even more so than the Rodgers fumble was the reason we lost imo.

Yes, we were getting run over, but we were able to compete with em scoring wise. We got beat on special teams. Just plain beat.

Havners Heroes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields needs to learn how to take a knee, for one thing. He put us in some terrible positions to start drives. Of course that one personal foul on him was total ********, but we would had had awful starting position either way there.

And that coverage and facemask on the last return was inexcusable. While there were a number of factors that contributed to this loss, that play has to be right near the top of the list. How is it that year after year we are unable to do something as simple as have even average kick coverage?

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
When i saw the kickoff, after the tying touchdown, go about five yards into the endzone i was PRAYING for a kneel down for this exact reason...

I was, too. Please, take a knee!

As soon as I saw him dart straight up the middle, my heart sank.

That is sad when fans start to anticipate blown coverages like this.

Packman Chant

Lambeau West
Reaction score
I jumped all around after Jordy made that tieing TD catch then thought to myself "they have alot of time...dont give up a big return!" after i saw that return and the flag my heart dropped. At that point i felt amazing about OT. Cant believe it came down to that. Jordy had some NICE really nice plays.

OH YEAH, anyone else thing jennings was about to make a play on that last play of the game. He looked like he was GONE! lol. It was a hurtful loss that is FOR SURE.

JCpackers04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I jumped all around after Jordy made that tieing TD catch then thought to myself "they have alot of time...dont give up a big return!" after i saw that return and the flag my heart dropped. At that point i felt amazing about OT. Cant believe it came down to that. Jordy had some NICE really nice plays.

OH YEAH, anyone else thing jennings was about to make a play on that last play of the game. He looked like he was GONE! lol. It was a hurtful loss that is FOR SURE.

lmao yeah dude, after he made the one DB miss it looked like he was home free. i jumped up i was like "oh sh*t!" then another falcon appeared in front of him and my heart sank :(

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I point the finger at 3 things.

1. The fumble at the 1 yard line/ endzone that cost us 7 points.

2. The non catch for Gonzalez that went unchallenged by a booth review, resulting in a TD scoring drive for Atlanta.

3. Facemask late in the forth that allowed Atlanta to get within FG range to kick the game winning FG.

Sure there are other things but those are the 3 main things that affected scoring, costing us points and thus, the game.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I had to lol at Jarrett Bush being dumb enough to touch the ball down after needlessly stepping out of bounds. That was just laughably stupid.

And for everyone that's mad about the facemask, he runs that back for a TD without it. The facemask gave them great field position, but we'd have been totally ****** without it.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had to lol at Jarrett Bush being dumb enough to touch the ball down after needlessly stepping out of bounds. That was just laughably stupid.

And for everyone that's mad about the facemask, he runs that back for a TD without it. The facemask gave them great field position, but we'd have been totally ****** without it.
let them score arod would tie it at 21 with no time left :happy0005:but yeah that was td without the facemask.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the season ended now (and we are the #8 seed right now by the way), the one move above all that needs to be made is we need to fire this special teams coach. As we fired his special teams boss 2 years ago.
Whatever system they run, well this just in, it sucks donkey.

Also, we need to figure out why so many of our guys get hurt. Chillar and Havner, 2 special team guys, both couldn't make it thru a half today. It's hard to play good special teams when you have 2 or 3 main guys going out.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score

Either way you look at it...the main point is the same. Our ST sucks balls.

Look at it one way, our ST sucks. Look at it the other way, our ST sucks more.

Packman Chant

Lambeau West
Reaction score
lmao yeah dude, after he made the one DB miss it looked like he was home free. i jumped up i was like "oh sh*t!" then another falcon appeared in front of him and my heart sank :(

I know! He slipped right through and im like RUUUUN! I think he coulda made soemthing happen honestly. He was lookin for the pitch back lol. I could be wrong lol.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score

Agreed. The ST is terrible either way, but people were ******* the loss on that penalty when in actuality it gave us a chance. A small one, but more of a chance than we would've had without it.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Agreed. The ST is terrible either way, but people were ******* the loss on that penalty when in actuality it gave us a chance. A small one, but more of a chance than we would've had without it.
In all honesty, what lost us this game was the fact that the Dom couldn't come up with a package to stop Matt Ryan and Michael Turner. Granted, they didn't put up a whole lot of points, but there were some key stops that we should've followed through on.

I think it's clear there's not much of a run game, but we know that we can make it work without one (see: last 4 games). I think we did an okay job of adapting mid game, offensively at least.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score

Incubes-- you are completely forgetting about the 3rd way to look at it. How can you ignore this way???

If you look at the ST play through this 3rd way, they, oh, they still suck.

Nevermind.

OP
OP
Murgen

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Honestly, there is another way to look at our approx last in the league ST play. Yeah, it still sucks.

Time for a new ST coach. I'll be surprised if Slocum and Morton are still with the Packers next year. MM doesn't tolerate failure. And fail they have. Remember the Defensive coaches in 09? Time to get a Dom Capers of ST in here STAT.

DirtyBird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That facemask actually saved a possible TD. It looks like Weems would of been off to the races.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense gave up too many pass plays if you ask me. When you let them flip the field on you nearly every drive, then you are bound to have to run from inside your 20 when they punt.

Also would it have been so bad if they had jsut let that guy score after he got so much yardage. the score is quick and at least our O can get back out on the field to try and tie it up?

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
The defense gave up too many pass plays if you ask me. When you let them flip the field on you nearly every drive, then you are bound to have to run from inside your 20 when they punt.

Also would it have been so bad if they had jsut let that guy score after he got so much yardage. the score is quick and at least our O can get back out on the field to try and tie it up?
Of course we want to say that our defense gave up pass plays, because we want to think that's something that we can correct. Maybe we just got beat plain and simple. The Tom Brady's and Peyton Manning's of our time have shown that there's nothing even a good defense can do against a good offense, it's just too improbable.

With that said, I don't think it was necessarily our secondary getting thrown on, I think all of their important yards came off missed tackles. Now, I didn't watch the game, so I'm basing this on what I saw in the chat. It could've been missed tackles (something we can correct), or it could have been receivers' and RBs' agility just beating our tacklers (something we can't correct).

It's always more reassuring to think that it's something we can work on, but if we're playing an offense that just has our number, what are we to do? I'm not comparing Matt Ryan to Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, by any means. However, they beat our defense yesterday, for sure.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I don't know, I just figure that my heart shouldn't stop every single time we kick off or that it's okay to go outside for a smoke every time we receive.
Easily this is the Packers weakest area. I'm actually confused as to why they don't make a move now. Are special teams really that complex? Does anybody want to go into the meat of the season with these special teams? I thought all the 3-4 linebackers and all those fullbacks were supposed to help this area. Sad to think such a talented team can be brought to a loss by ST.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
I don't know, I just figure that my heart shouldn't stop every single time we kick off or that it's okay to go outside for a smoke every time we receive.
Easily this is the Packers weakest area. I'm actually confused as to why they don't make a move now. Are special teams really that complex? Does anybody want to go into the meat of the season with these special teams? I thought all the 3-4 linebackers and all those fullbacks were supposed to help this area. Sad to think such a talented team can be brought to a loss by ST.
Yep, that's singlehandedly the worst part about it. The offense and defense work so hard to build momentum and then all it takes is return to the 50 (or a stop at the 10) as soon as our ST take the field to crush those efforts.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts