So, IF we lose the NFCCG next Sunday, then what?

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
theyll go on to make the playoffs again next year as well and youll complain about another successful season.
they are final 4 team again. Who ever is actually making money off the Packers isnt complaining.

Sorry bro, it may be spoiled, but if we continue to make the playoffs year after year and don't get the best quarterback in the game another ring, it will be a failure. We'll have had two hall of fame quarterbacks with only one ring and that just doesn't cut it. Teams would kill to have two back to back quarterbacks this good.

At this point, just making the playoffs every year is not successful. Say what you will about that sentiment, but it's true.

Actually, if you want to look at a seriously spoiled fanbase, look no further than the Pats. Their fans are disappointed with anything less than a Super Bowl every year.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Nah, it's just more of the same snark from TT sycophants. Don't respond with counterpoints to reasonable critiques of the Great One, just more lame putdowns of the people who offer them for discussion.
Nah, I have no problem with reasonable, well thought out critiques based on complete information. There is precious little of that compared to the snarky, demeaning, condescending statements made in absolute terms with no inside knowledge or information. That's extremely lame and weak-minded.

D

Deleted member 6794

If the Packers lose at Atlanta on Sunday I think Murphy should replace Thompson this offseason. Don´t get me wrong TT has been extremely successful during his tenure with the Packers but having won only one Super Bowl while having two Hall of Fame quarterbacks doesn´t cut it. This year´s squad is one shutdown cornerback away from being the most talented team in the league yet the general manager decided it was best to stand pat instead of aggressively addressing the position of need. While his approach results in the team making it to the playoffs consistently it´s the reason the team hasn´t won another title as well.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and again, NOBODY knows what Ted did or didn't do to try and get a CB. I think you're greatly underestimating what it takes to get a DB of the caliber we needed in here, during the season.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

That quote really made me laugh out loud.
Lol, I figured you'd be one of the first to respond.
You're notorious for wording your critiques in a condescending way WITHOUT complete information.

D

Deleted member 6794

and again, NOBODY knows what Ted did or didn't do to try and get a CB.

As I´ve said repeatedly I don´t care if Thompson tried to acquire a cornerback during this season. He gets paid to make roster moves and not for trying to.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that's fine, you don't have to care, but the reality of the situation is this, teams don't just give up shut down corners. Teams definitely don't just unload shut down corners a quarter of the way into the season because A) they don't give up on seasons that quickly and don't want to send that message to the rest of the team and B) they don't care what your needs are, they aren't in the business of helping you out. So if they decide to part ways it is going to come with a big cost for any player remotely worth it. so just to be clear, Ted, at all costs, should have brought in another corner back this year? or at least pulled a Jedi Mind trick. "You will give me Patrick Peterson for this box of donuts" LOL

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
and again, NOBODY knows what Ted did or didn't do to try and get a CB. I think you're greatly underestimating what it takes to get a DB of the caliber we needed in here, during the season.
Agree, great cornerbacks aren't hanging around as free agents in the middle of September. Totally unreasonable to expect to be able to pickup a pro bowl calibre player after March 30th. It's easier to say, replace the GM when teams face adversity due to injuries/suspensions. Not very well thought out though.

D

Deleted member 6794

that's fine, you don't have to care, but the reality of the situation is this, teams don't just give up shut down corners. Teams definitely don't just unload shut down corners a quarter of the way into the season because A) they don't give up on seasons that quickly and don't want to send that message to the rest of the team and B) they don't care what your needs are, they aren't in the business of helping you out. So if they decide to part ways it is going to come with a big cost for any player remotely worth it. so just to be clear, Ted, at all costs, should have brought in another corner back this year? or at least pulled a Jedi Mind trick. "You will give me Patrick Peterson for this box of donuts" LOL

I´m absolutely convinced there were several teams that would have listened to a trade offer for a veteran cornerback before the deadline for several reasons. Once again as I´ve mentioned repeatedly I guarantee the Patriots would have found a way to address a position in dire need of an upgrade.

Agree, great cornerbacks aren't hanging around as free agents in the middle of September. Totally unreasonable to expect to be able to pickup a pro bowl calibre player after March 30th. It's easier to say, replace the GM when teams face adversity due to injuries/suspensions. Not very well thought out though.

I understand it´s pretty tough for you to grasp but a trade is another way to address a position of need during the season.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe we are defining "shutdown corner" differently. I know people view some of these terms differently.

My definition of a shutdown corner is a guy who stands well above average in comparison to his peers. Generally a top 20% of all starting CB's in the league. Probably around 8-12 guys in the entire league in most years.

D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe we are defining "shutdown corner" differently. I know people view some of these terms differently.

My definition of a shutdown corner is a guy who stands well above average in comparison to his peers. Generally a top 20% of all starting CB's in the league. Probably around 8-12 guys in the entire league in most years.

While adding a shutdown cornerback during this season would have been amazing even acquiring a mediocre veteran would have been a huge upgrade over the players currently on the roster.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
While adding a shutdown cornerback during this season would have been amazing even acquiring a mediocre veteran would have been a huge upgrade over the players currently on the roster.
Perhaps in retrospect but perhaps the staff was telling Thompson that the young kids were still coming around and thought they would get better. Stuff we don't know.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering how the young guys looked last season, I see no reason why with a little experience they wouldn't be upgrades over a mediocre veteran by this time of the season. As it stands, they've both been repeatedly injured and their play and development has suffered. But the believe in the team and the work they do is the reason they didn't rush to replace them. it's also that belief and thought process that saw this team overcome adversity and make it to this point. So while things "could" have been different, they very well might not have been better.

D

Deleted member 6794

Perhaps in retrospect but perhaps the staff was telling Thompson that the young kids were still coming around and thought they would get better. Stuff we don't know.

It was abundantly clear to everyone following the Packers play this season that the team was in dire need of an upgrade at the cornerback position.

D

Deleted member 6794

Considering how the young guys looked last season, I see no reason why with a little experience they wouldn't be upgrades over a mediocre veteran by this time of the season. As it stands, they've both been repeatedly injured and their play and development has suffered. But the believe in the team and the work they do is the reason they didn't rush to replace them. it's also that belief and thought process that saw this team overcome adversity and make it to this point. So while things "could" have been different, they very well might not have been better.

The lack of talent at the cornerback position would most likely be the main reason if the Packers end up short of winning another Super Bowl. I´m sorry but that is on Thompson.

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Win or lose, it's never a bad idea to think about the future! In this business, there is no treading water; you either swim or sink.

I think shut down corner is job one right now. I also get an attack of apoplexy every time I see our OLinemen get up slowly. I'd like to see some quality depth added there. Eddie Lacy is a huge question mark. A tough decision on his health/commitment/contract needs to be made rather quickly. I really believe Perry is an emerging star. TT is usually not stingy about paying his own, I hope this is the case with Perry. That's it for now. I need more sleep. :)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The lack of talent at the cornerback position would most likely be the main reason if the Packers end up short of winning another Super Bowl. I´m sorry but that is on Thompson.
Or it's on the situation that we find ourselves in because the season of an NFL team is long with lots of twists and peaks and valleys. In may, June July and August everybody was praising the strength of our defense of secondary. Anybody who says our situation now is on Thompson is being disingenuous without taking into account everything else that has happened.

D

Deleted member 6794

Or it's on the situation that we find ourselves in because the season of an NFL team is long with lots of twists and peaks and valleys. In may, June July and August everybody was praising the strength of our defense of secondary. Anybody who says our situation now is on Thompson is being disingenuous without taking into account everything else that has happened.

Entering this season I was convinced about the Packers secondary being a strength. It became abundantly clear early this season that wasn´t the case therefore Thompson standing pat instead of upgrading the cornerback position is unacceptable though.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Especially when you let a top 10 corner leave to SD for 3 year 15 mil with 6 guaranteed. 30th highest paid CB, or roughly 1/3 of what Shield's makes.

Well played Thompson, way to draft and develop... Then send away at a bargain price. Leaving your team short.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Entering this season I was convinced about the Packers secondary being a strength. It became abundantly clear early this season that wasn´t the case therefore Thompson standing pat instead of upgrading the cornerback position is unacceptable though.

He didn't need to upgrade, he just needed to pay Hayward his 5 mil per year.

D

Deleted member 6794

Especially when you let a top 10 corner leave to SD for 3 year 15 mil with 6 guaranteed. 30th highest paid CB, or roughly 1/3 of what Shield's makes.

Well played Thompson, way to draft and develop... Then send away at a bargain price. Leaving your team short.

I was fine with Thompson letting Hayward walk away in free agency as at that point the talent level at cornerback seemed to be OK. TT not addressing the position during the season is a different story though.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was fine with Thompson letting Hayward walk away in free agency as at that point the talent level at cornerback seemed to be OK. TT not addressing the position during the season is a different story though.

I could see that, but talent wise. He let the wrong person go. Randall is a freaking mess. There was a series in Dallas where I swear the play-call was "Throw at whomever 23 is covering". If you notice he stated out covering the #2 early in the game and got demoted to slot later because of how utterly bad he was. Like Jarrett Bush bad. And I don't say that lightly.

TT is supposed to be the talent savant, well he failed on this one.

D

Deleted member 6794

I could see that, but talent wise. He let the wrong person go. Randall is a freaking mess. There was a series in Dallas where I swear the play-call was "Throw at whomever 23 is covering". If you notice he stated out covering the #2 early in the game and got demoted to slot later because of how utterly bad he was. Like Jarrett Bush bad. And I don't say that lightly.

TT is supposed to be the talent savant, well he failed on this one.

I´m not using hindsight to analyze Thompson´s move this offseason though. It was the right decision at this point as Randall was coming off a promising rookie season and Hayward seemed to be expendable.

Members online

Latest posts