So, IF we lose the NFCCG next Sunday, then what?

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I´m not using hindsight to analyze Thompson´s move this offseason though. It was the right decision at this point as Randall was coming off a promising rookie season and Hayward seemed to be expendable.

It's not hindsight... I have always thought Hayward was better than Randall. Not really hard to see from just watching them each play. Too bad the TT didn't notice that.

You will eat those words one day... Adams will become more than anyone gives him credit for... Linsley is a solid starter, hard to argue that. You are also writing off a guy who was fine till injury in Montegomery. Hayward is a fine nickel and played a hell of game against Washington.

That doesn't excuse a GM from making a bad move... It's not really hindsight as he got 4 years to judge Hayward and made the move to let him go. Just a bad call. Which many teams make, not going to crucify him but that was a big one.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Then I pray the Patriots lose so I do not have to get rediculed at work Monday morning....

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Or it's on the situation that we find ourselves in because the season of an NFL team is long with lots of twists and peaks and valleys. In may, June July and August everybody was praising the strength of our defense of secondary. Anybody who says our situation now is on Thompson is being disingenuous without taking into account everything else that has happened.
I do think it's fair to question Thompson's moves/lack of moves but totally agree that secondary was viewed as one of the NFL's best rosters (as viewed by many insiders) strongest position groups going into the season. Back then everyone was bemoaning the ILB's, interior DL, lack of RB's, new LG, overpayment of Starks and Perry and the future bleakness of the OLB's, since so many had expiring contracts.
Apparently it must be Thompson's fault that our CB's, RB's, ILB's and WR's and new TE got injured.

D

Deleted member 6794

I do think it's fair to question Thompson's moves/lack of moves but totally agree that secondary was viewed as one of the NFL's best rosters (as viewed by many insiders) strongest position groups going into the season. Back then everyone was bemoaning the ILB's, interior DL, lack of RB's, new LG, overpayment of Starks and Perry and the future bleakness of the OLB's, since so many had expiring contracts.
Apparently it must be Thompson's fault that our CB's, RB's, ILB's and WR's and new TE got injured.

It's not Thompson's fault that the cornerback position was hit hard by injuries this season. He should be criticized for standing pat once that happened and the unit struggled mightily though.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I could see that, but talent wise. He let the wrong person go. Randall is a freaking mess. There was a series in Dallas where I swear the play-call was "Throw at whomever 23 is covering". If you notice he stated out covering the #2 early in the game and got demoted to slot later because of how utterly bad he was. Like Jarrett Bush bad. And I don't say that lightly.

TT is supposed to be the talent savant, well he failed on this one.
The same thing we heard about Adams from September 2015 through September 2016. Haven't been hearing much complaining about that in the last couple of months though. Why is that??

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not Thompson's fault that the cornerback position was hit hard by injuries this season. He should be criticized for standing pat once that happened and the unit struggled mightily though.
I think that is the poison you pick with Thompson. He is a very meticulous planner and has the discipline to not over react, however, he does not seem to have the ability to flip a switch and take action when that plan does not come to fruition.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The same thing we heard about Adams from September 2015 through September 2016. Haven't been hearing much complaining about that in the last couple of months though. Why is that??

Are you talking about this Adams, that I wrote at the end of last year when people wanted him cut that he would be a damn good player in this league? Along with Ty and Hayward?

You will eat those words one day... Adams will become more than anyone gives him credit for... Linsley is a solid starter, hard to argue that. You are also writing off a guy who was fine till injury in Montegomery. Hayward is a fine nickel and played a hell of game against Washington.

There is a difference between Adams and Randall... Adams talent sparked at times, you could see it when he was fully healthy. Randall looks like a lost puppy trying to find its mom basically every single play. Over the course of the year he was the bottom 2 of ALL CB's in the NFL.

"Randall is now ranked 119th among NFL cornerbacks by Pro Football Focus, slightly above two lower-rated players."
http://www.totalpackers.com/2016/12/damarious-randall-cratering-needed/

And it hasn't gotten better since then... He just allowed a rookie to have a 144 passer rating against him and wasn't even playing their number 1 WR. He even got switched off of the superstar Terrance Williams :roflmao: because he got burned to much. lol I truly believe if we had more healthy bodies he would have been benched a long time ago. In favor of just about anyone.

There is a difference between over-reacting and believing what you see. My guess is Randall will likely never be more than a #3 corner and would be much better switching back to safety than playing corner. Rollins on the other hand, I could see being a #2 or slot cover corner.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps in retrospect but perhaps the staff was telling Thompson that the young kids were still coming around and thought they would get better. Stuff we don't know.

So now it's on the staff? I thought it was all TT the Great?
And you don't need a 'shutdown corner', which are as rare as elite QB's. You do need competent NFL caliber play . Randall and others too often look like members of the three blind mice running around.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I truly believe if we had more healthy bodies he would have been benched a long time ago. In favor of just about anyone.
And hopefully his body would be one of the healthier ones. Looks to me like he's spending so much practice time with the rehab group that he's not learning the playbook for the next game.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I think things will stay the same with the possible exception of Wolf being promoted to GM and Ted taking another role.

Even if we win, I would still want a change at DC and I hope we can bring in some better defensive scouts or something. We've spent years building this defense in the draft with a few free agents. It should be much better than it is.

Wolf is gonna be the 49ers GM. As for the question, I won't be happy whatsoever. It will be another year of Rodgers prime wasted because of a thrash D. Some will look at how we rebounded to make it this far. I'll look at what kept us from winning it all...yet again.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
So now it's on the staff? I thought it was all TT the Great?
And you don't need a 'shutdown corner', which are as rare as elite QB's. You do need competent NFL caliber play . Randall and others too often look like members of the three blind mice running around.
I don't see Thompson being the kind of guy who makes personnel decisions without input from a number of different sources. Could be wrong on that though. Will have to wait for someone to spill the beans on Ted's processes.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see Thompson being the kind of guy who makes personnel decisions without input from a number of different sources. Could be wrong on that though. Will have to wait for someone to spill the beans on Ted's processes.

I've read both sides; he listens, he doesn't. Who knows?

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Adopt my response: .. and what part of the victory / loss did you contribute to? Of course this works only if you don't have a track record of gloating.
I like it, I never gloat though. I am the pessimist and realist sports fan. Patriots fans are just the worst though. After we lost the NFC Championship to Seattle I walked into my office and Pack Sucks stickers were everywhere. Though I never said a word to anyone after we had beat the Patriots earlier that year...

I am also the "token" Packers fan in the land of Tom Brady. Anytime ANY of my family/friends/coworkers see anything Packers, they immediately think of me. They also take Aaron Rodgers extremely personal here, because in there eyes (not mine) he is the only QB that rivals Tom Brady as "GOAT." I am also a female and can go head to head talking football with any guy I know and work with all men.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score

Don't forget how the chorus also moaned about paying LT Bakhtiari while letting Josh Sitton go and starting an unproven Taylor.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wolf is gonna be the 49ers GM. As for the question, I won't be happy whatsoever. It will be another year of Rodgers prime wasted because of a thrash D. Some will look at how we rebounded to make it this far. I'll look at what kept us from winning it all...yet again.

It would be yet another year of fans only blaming defense while acting like Rodgers has done no wrong in the playoffs, even though he has clearly contributed to multiple playoff losses.

Reaction score
It would be yet another year of fans only blaming defense while acting like Rodgers has done no wrong in the playoffs, even though he has clearly contributed to multiple playoff losses.
It's absurd to think the Defense should take all the blame.......
Special Teams needs to step up and take some of the blame If we lose! :whistling:
Hey, let's just hope Christine Michael is in the I Formation and not fielding Kickoffs! ;)

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will have an udfa who runs a 4.6 40 covering Julio Jones in this game. That's ridiculous. If the Packers had even a mediocre defense, the SB would be a good bet. While TT isn't responsible for all the injuries, doing nothing as the CB position melted down to where Randall is covering the no. 2 receiver and Gunter is covering the no. 1 receiver is a shame. But there will be fans who will blame Rodgers for not being perfect all the while the defense is atrocious. If I were the Falcons I wouldn't suit up a punter. All they need to do is throw at the cornerbacks. All you can do is hope the Falcons beat themselves with dropped passes, penalties and fumbles. If the Packers lose this game it will squander one of the greatest episodes of qb play in the history of the league.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't forget how the chorus also moaned about paying LT Bakhtiari while letting Josh Sitton go and starting an unproven Taylor.
Yeah, so many things were being fretted about that I forgot about Bakhtiari's new contract and our new punter at the last minute.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers will have an udfa who runs a 4.6 40 covering Julio Jones in this game. That's ridiculous. If the Packers had even a mediocre defense, the SB would be a good bet. While TT isn't responsible for all the injuries, doing nothing as the CB position melted down to where Randall is covering the no. 2 receiver and Gunter is covering the no. 1 receiver is a shame. But there will be fans who will blame Rodgers for not being perfect all the while the defense is atrocious. If I were the Falcons I wouldn't suit up a punter. All they need to do is throw at the cornerbacks. All you can do is hope the Falcons beat themselves with dropped passes, penalties and fumbles. If the Packers lose this game it will squander one of the greatest episodes of qb play in the history of the league.
Who covered Jones the first time we played Atlanta? I'm hoping the DL and OLB's get a decent and consistent pass rush this time.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In multiple threads now there is plenty of complaining about what TT hasn't done, despite the team he built is one of four left.

The NFC Championship hasnt even been played yet, but multiple people are already blaming him for a POSSIBLE loss.

It's just as possible the rest of the roster is good enough to make up for CB, just like it has done the last 8 games.

Why not wait to see what actually happens first?

Or how about talking about the moves he nailed recently to help get us to this point?

Solidifying ILB, keeping Perry, signing Schum, cutting Sitton for Taylor, keeping Adams, signing Allison, signing Michael, and signing Cook are things he did since just last season that have helped.

There are also the stengths he has built over time such as the best pass blocking line in football, a good WR group, and a good safety tandem.

Without any one of those moves, the Packers could be at home right now.

TT has done a lot of good to get the team to this point and blaming him already because they might lose doesn't make sense.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if they win the SB, I still believe it's time for Thompson to go.
But like El Guapo said, it'll just be wash , rinse, repeat.

I don't get the hate for TT. So if they win the SB, that would be making the playoffs 8 times, including 2 Superbowl wins in 11 years. And, you'd fire him?

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hayward was terrible for the Packers after his rookie season. Maybe TT should have MM evaluate his defensive backs coach and his strength coach. Amazing how healthy Hayward was working out under someone other than Lovat.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts