Should we sign Eric Reid?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/josh-jones?id=2558119

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-pff-scouting-report-josh-jones-s-nc-state

These are just the first 2 I came across showing his positives (and negatives) but if you spend some time you’ll see nobody said he’s horrendous in coverage (except zone) Matter of fact he’s probable one of the few Safeties that is athletically talented enough to go toe to toe and break up passes in man and big enough to take on a protypical TE. This was no accident that we signed him to play a hybrid role. (S,LB,CB) He’s not an expert at any one position but he’s formidable at all of them. Most of what Dom did was cross train guys to be well rounded.
He uses his length well and he’s a big plus as far as being aggressive and reaching to disturb the catch. One weekness is zone and getting turned while playing zone. But Joshs main concern and most consistent drawback? He’s a below average tackler.
He needs to be coached up (tackling is very important but also very coachable) you’ll see that often, but don’t many guys with just 3 years DB experience?.

I agree with you that he has traits to be capable in coverage, but I think matching him up with slot receivers specifically would play to his weaknesses rather than his strengths.

Reaction score
I don’t want to hear one complaint if he gets down and kneels throughout the anthem and then has some corny enzone celebration.
Not one! :sneaky:
Seriously though it’s all about how team friendly his deal is. We’re not in a position to throw $ at a position unless it’s a dire need (like CB etc.)

H

HardRightEdge

It goes back further than last year. Remember his rookie year when he just stood there and watched on the Hail Mary 2-pt conversion ago in the NFCCG?
I've been pretty critical of C-D over the years chiefly because he's a better player closer to the line than in single-high. But I would not judge a player on one brain fart. If you do that, they all suck.

Reaction score
I agree with you that he has traits to be capable in coverage, but I think matching him up with slot receivers specifically would play to his weaknesses rather than his strengths.
He’s likely going to be used as a coverage LB to the track RBs and TEs who try to float across the LOS and hide themselves as receivers. or he could be used as a pass rusher off the edge when all is said and done.
He was initially thought to play the “Woodson” role and offer blitz support due to his speed. I watched him juke an OT last year who completely missed Josh and then 1 arm the RB for a loss.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
He’s likely going to be used as a coverage LB to the track RBs and TEs who try to float across the LOS and hide themselves as receivers. or he could be used as a pass rusher off the edge when all is said and done.
He was initially thought to play the “Woodson” role and offer blitz support.

An occasional blitzer or a pass rusher?

I fully expect Jones to see work covering backs and tight ends. I just don’t want to see him try to cover slot receivers.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd much rather see the Packers go after a vet corner such as DRC or Gaines and draft Roquan Smith in round 1. Smith is an absolute beast and is good at pretty much everything.

D

Deleted member 6794

Reid is a solid, young defensive back (26 years old) that can help fill the void in the wake of Burnett's departure. He's versatile and played numerous positions for the 49ers. Reid probably also won't carry the same kind of price tag he normally would because few teams have shown interest. I think there would be a lot of upside to this signing.

I don't expect the Packers to be interested in a veteran at the position but start Josh Jones at strong safety. That could change if Derwin James drops to #14 though.

Actually he has been repeatedly touted for his ability to play man coverage.

I agree with Dantés that there's no reason to trust Jones covering slot receivers. Here's part of PFF's scouting report on him coming out of college:

• Poor technique in coverage; gets turned around too easily, seems to panic at times off his man’s break
  • A coverage bust waiting to happen; far too many mental lapses
In my opinion he didn't refute any of those concerns during his rookie season.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That might be what he was thinking but it's not what he said. We know those can be two different things. ;)

C-D has been a stauch defender of the Capers system over the last couple of years as a leader/spokesman type. So was Burnett. If memory serves, C-D was quoted last season saying the problem was not the system, it was the players not stepping up.

Lets just say C-D and Burnett are pretty football smart and could/have seen how this system can work. Maybe they didn't appreciate how other less smart or less experienced players would struggle with it. Or maybe they were being politically correct. Who knows. We can only go by what they've said.
I know you said "football smart"... but I have seen Clinton Dix speak in person, and smart is not a word I would use to describe him... in fact it has always been the reason that I have been somewhat unsure about him as a player.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t want to hear one complaint if he gets down and kneels throughout the anthem and then has some corny enzone celebration.
Seriously though it’s all about how team friendly his deal is. We’re not in a position to throw $ at a position unless it’s a dire need (like CB etc.)

Glad I had the self-control to read far enough to get to the smilie and the 'seriously'. Carry on. ;)

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been pretty critical of C-D over the years chiefly because he's a better player closer to the line than in single-high. But I would not judge a player on one brain fart. If you do that, they all suck.
It wasn't just a brain fart though. It was a brain shart. He didn't even try to make a play on the ball and it cost us a trip to the SB.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did read where he said he wouldn't do it and take a different approach , so I can live with that.

Reaction score
I don't expect the Packers to be interested in a veteran at the position but start Josh Jones at strong safety. That could change if Derwin James drops to #14 though.
If Josh Jones is horrendous in pass coverage and unable to cover a player out of the slot, we've got big problems and we'd better bench him immediately and get a SS at #14 that can do that because that's a primary part of the job

Poor technique in coverage; gets turned around too easily, seems to panic at times off his man’s break
Finding a weakness without offering the entire article is called selective criticism and we can find a weakness in just about any player in the league that way. I also saw where it said he was good in man and used his arms effectively disrupting the pass.. You can't have it both ways
They were talking about him being poor in zone coverage.. which is kinda funny because isn't that pretty much what a SS does his whole career? They are basically a small, fast LB who covers RB's. TE's and bigger WR's closer to the LOS than a FS (or offer run support because they can generally take (and give) more punishment)

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Nickel corners are the primary options to cover slot receivers, not strong safeties.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd 100 percent be in favor of trading haha Clinton Dix and signing Reid to a similar deal to what burnett got

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

If Josh Jones is horrendous in pass coverage and unable to cover a player out of the slot, we've got big problems and we'd better bench him immediately and get a SS at #14 that can do that because that's a primary part of the job

Strong safeties normally aren't asked to cover slot receivers as most offenses would take advantage of such a mismatch.

I'd 100 percent be in favor of trading haha Clinton Dix and signing Reid to a similar deal to what bunett good

I don't consider that to be a smart idea.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So why would it not be smart to trade haha to for example the eagles for say Ronald Darby? You'd have a much better single high free safety which Pettines system is predicated on. Plus you would add a young cornerback capable of winning a starting job. Both Dix and Darby are free agents after the season so that's a wash. The only minus I see is Reid is one year older than dix, which really isn't a big deal

D

Deleted member 6794

So why would it not be smart to trade haha to for example the eagles for say Ronald Darby? You'd have a much better single high free safety which Pettines system is predicated on. Plus you would add a young cornerback capable of winning a starting job. Both Dix and Darby are free agents after the season so that's a wash. The only minus I see is Reid is one year older than dix, which really isn't a big deal

I should have been more precise in my reply above. In my opinion it wouldn't be smart to trade Clinton-Dix for draft picks and replace him with Reid. I would be in favor of the move if the Packers acquired Darby in the process though.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
YES. Reid is better than both HCD and Jones so yes. If anything they can use Jones like they did Burnett last season and Insert Reid at FS and slide HCD over to strong safety.

D

Deleted member 6794

YES. Reid is better than both HCD and Jones so yes. If anything they can use Jones like they did Burnett last season and Insert Reid at FS and slide HCD over to strong safety.

Reid might be marginally better than Clinton-Dix but not enough to spend several millions of precious cap space to sign him.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reid might be marginally better than Clinton-Dix but not enough to spend several millions of precious cap space to sign him.

Would probably come pretty cheap honestly. Then again Tramon just cost us 10M over 2 seasons....

Latest posts