Should we sign Eric Reid?

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reid is a solid, young defensive back (26 years old) that can help fill the void in the wake of Burnett's departure. He's versatile and played numerous positions for the 49ers. Reid probably also won't carry the same kind of price tag he normally would because few teams have shown interest. I think there would be a lot of upside to this signing.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
They drafted Jones to replace Burnett. I don't see why they would spend a 2nd on that spot a year ahead of time and then replace it with cap space anyways.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They drafted Jones to replace Burnett. I don't see why they would spend a 2nd on that spot a year ahead of time and then replace it with cap space anyways.

I agree I think Jones is the starting strong safety going forward and he's gonna be good. But Reid has primarily been a free safety throughout his career. He did play all over n 2017 even linebacker but for the Packers in Pettines system I think he's the single high safety. I think he's much better than Clinton Dix although he has concussion issues. So I'd be more in favor of drafting his brother Justin Reid out of Stanford in the 2nd or 3rd round to replace dix in the lineup in 2019. With Jones and Reid at safety you'd have two play making athletes with great size going forward

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I agree I think Jones is the starting strong safety going forward and he's gonna be good. But Reid has primarily been a free safety throughout his career. He did play all over n 2017 even linebacker but for the Packers in Pettines system I think he's the single high safety. I think he's much better than Clinton Dix although he has concussion issues. So I'd be more in favor of drafting his brother Justin Reid out of Stanford in the 2nd or 3rd round to replace dix in the lineup in 2019. With Jones and Reid at safety you'd have two play making athletes with great size going forward

I won't have a strong feeling on whether they need to keep HHCD or allow him to walk until I see him play under Pettine.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess (and that's all it is) is that the plan is to get #12's extension done, and proceed from there. I doubt that the Pack will make any more big splashes in free agency this off-season, although they may sign a veteran CB 'on the cheap'. I don't think they're looking at safeties.

There may be some more salary-cap casualties around the league, and perhaps one or two will find a home in Green Bay.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too much controversy for Green Bay.

I'd take a look though.

Reaction score
All this being said, if Derwin James is on the board when we draft I'd take him, I think he's that good.
I have him as one of my top 3 ideal Defensive picks also.
It would also give us the option to bring Josh Jones into a slot CB role (if needed) and let Derwin play over the top. Derwin and Jones would give us a tough, nasty feel because they can both hit bigger than their size.
We’ll still need a true perimeter CB.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I kind of think Jones would be a disaster as a slot corner.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Really. Why?

Jones is exceptionally fast and explosive, especially for his size, but his change of direction is wanting especially if he's going to be covering slot receivers. He would get roasted by quicker, shiftier players.

Reaction score
Jones is exceptionally fast and explosive, especially for his size, but his change of direction is wanting especially if he's going to be covering slot receivers. He would get roasted by quicker, shiftier players.
Actually he has been repeatedly touted for his ability to play man coverage. He is also very well known for his physicality so he’d be someone I would be very interested in blitz situations because he is ideal in size and aggressiveness for throwing a shifty little receiver off his mark while the pass rushed forces an early anticipated throw. He also started as a Corner in College, so it’s not a position of unfamiliarity.
Everything I’ve read said he’s one of the more versatile positional players and I saw comparisons to Micah Hyde.
Conversely his biggest weakness is zone. Which is exactly what he played under Dom. He’s a opponent focused player, not a let me cover half of the field and certainly not a highly instinctive player, which is paramount for playing Safety.
But to say he’d be a disaster? that’s presumptuous

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Actually he has been repeatedly touted for his ability to play man coverage. He is also very well known for his physicality so he’d be someone I would be very interested in blitz situations because he is ideal in size and aggressiveness for throwing a shifty little receiver off his mark while the pass rushed forces an early anticipated throw. He also started as a Corner in College.
Everything I’ve read said he’s one of the more versatile positional players and I saw comparisons to Micah Hyde.
Conversely his biggest weakness is zone. Which is exactly what he played under Dom

That isn't all what I read about him coming out or saw in his rookie season. Where were you seeing that analysis?

H

HardRightEdge

I won't have a strong feeling on whether they need to keep HHCD or allow him to walk until I see him play under Pettine.
Agreed.

I don't think C-D was as good as people thought in 2016 (INTs are not a be all, end all) nor as bad as they thought in 2017.

This bad secondary last season left him betwixt and between on so many plays he got tentative, not just in coverage but in his tackling. Seeing him backpedal on guys with the ball at the third level bespoke less "business deceision" to me than lack of confidence that if he swung and missed on an aggressive tackle attempt there would be somebody taking the right angle to clean it up. I can still hear his mental gears grinding: "no TD, no TD!"

No stat, not even PFF play-by-play breakdowns, can tell you how a guy's play is impacted by the guys around him for good or ill.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
That isn't all what I read about him coming out or saw in his rookie season. Where were you seeing that analysis?
That’s because he was a completely raw player with little to zero grooming before we shoved him into a relatively complex system. Any athlete with his experience level takes time to nurture. Yes, He’s an athletic freak by anyone’s standards, thats all they talked about when we picked him last year, but raw athleticism is inferior in a complex system (see the Jeff Janis ongoing experiment)
Josh also had 8INTs through his Junior year which ain’t to shabby for a supporting role. Keep in mind he entered the draft after just 3 years of college ball.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Agreed.

I don't think C-D was as good as people thought in 2016 (INTs are not a be all, end all) nor as bad as they thought in 2017.

This bad secondary last season left him betwixt and between on so many plays he got tentative, not just in coverage but in his tackling. Seeing him backpedal on guys with the ball at the third level bespoke less "business deceision" to me than lack of confidence that if he swung and missed on an aggressive tackle attempt there wouldn't be somebody taking the right angle to clean it up. I can hear still hear his mental gears grinding: "no TD, no TD!"

I think there's a distinct possibility that his lack of effort was tied to mounting frustration over the nature of the defense as a whole and the positions that it often left him in.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
That’s because he was a completely raw player with little to zero grooming before we shoved him into a relatively complex system. He’s an athletic freak by anyone’s standards, thats all they talked about when we picked him last year, but raw athleticism is inferior in a complex system (see the Jeff Janis ongoing experiment)
Josh also had 8INTs through his Junior year which ain’t to shabby for a supporting role.

I know how athletic he is, but it's important to understand the type of athleticism. His size (6'1" 220 lb) is above average and his forty (4.41), Broad (132") and Vertical (37.5") were all strong results. These tests indicate straight line speed and explosion. But his agility drills (7.05 3C and 4.40 SS) were both well below average.

I didn't see anything about him being versatile enough to play corner when he was coming out so I was wondering what you were referring to.

H

HardRightEdge

I think there's a distinct possibility that his lack of effort was tied to mounting frustration over the nature of the defense as a whole and the positions that it often left him in.
That might be what he was thinking but it's not what he said. We know those can be two different things. ;)

C-D has been a stauch defender of the Capers system over the last couple of years as a leader/spokesman type. So was Burnett. If memory serves, C-D was quoted last season saying the problem was not the system, it was the players not stepping up.

Lets just say C-D and Burnett are pretty football smart and could/have seen how this system can work. Maybe they didn't appreciate how other less smart or less experienced players would struggle with it. Or maybe they were being politically correct. Who knows. We can only go by what they've said.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
That might be what he was thinking but it's now what he said. We know those can be two different things. ;)

C-D has been a stauch defender of the Capers system over the last couple of years as a leader/spokesman type. So was Burnett. If memory serves, C-D was quoted last season saying the problem was not the system, it was the players not stepping up.

Lets just say C-D and Burnett are pretty football smart and could/have seen how this system can work. Maybe they didn't appreciate how other less smart or less experienced players would struggle with it. Or maybe they were being politically correct. Who knows. We can only go by what they've said.

Yes, that's true-- the frustration might have been with the other, younger players.

Reaction score
I know how athletic he is, but it's important to understand the type of athleticism. His size (6'1" 220 lb) is above average and his forty (4.41), Broad (132") and Vertical (37.5") were all strong results. These tests indicate straight line speed and explosion. But his agility drills (7.05 3C and 4.40 SS) were both well below average.

I didn't see anything about him being versatile enough to play corner when he was coming out so I was wondering what you were referring to.
Oh ok I see.
It’s been awhile since I read up on Josh. It’s mostly stuff I randomly read here and there but it’s no big secret either that’s hes very versatile. That’s one of primary reasons we took a chance on him even though he was rough around the edges.
Versatile and athletic but needs grooming is right up our alley. The fact that he is aggressive and lays serious wood on his opponent is old school perfect for a D coach mind like Pettine. Pettine loves to find high talent that just needs refining.
If Pettine is anything like me anyway he’s salivating over his missed potential.

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/josh-jones?id=2558119

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-pff-scouting-report-josh-jones-s-nc-state

These are just the first 2 I came across showing his positives (and negatives) but if you spend some time you’ll see nobody said he’s horrendous in coverage (except zone) Matter of fact he’s probable one of the few Safeties that is athletically talented enough to go toe to toe and break up passes in man and big enough to take on a protypical TE. This was no accident that we signed him to play a hybrid role. (S,LB,CB) He’s not an expert at any one position but he’s formidable at all of them. Most of what Dom did was cross train guys to be well rounded.
He uses his length well and he’s a big plus as far as being aggressive and reaching to disturb the catch. One weekness is zone and getting turned while playing zone. But Joshs main concern and most consistent drawback? He’s a below average tackler.
He needs to be coached up (tackling is very important but also very coachable) you’ll see that often, but don’t many guys with just 3 years DB experience?.

Last edited:

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It goes back further than last year. Remember his rookie year when he just stood there and watched on the Hail Mary 2-pt conversion ago in the NFCCG?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Too much controversy for Green Bay.

I'd take a look though.

Had to give that a "funny".....since it sounds like a "no"...but a "well...maybe".

Without getting into the politics of Reid, if the Packers feel they have a need for a player like Reid in the secondary, I say bring him in, might end up being a better bargain than Wilkerson even. Sounds like a few ex Packers (Butler, Finley and Ellerson) are endorsing bringing him to Green Bay.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/21/several-former-players-urge-packers-to-sign-s-eric-reid/

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yes to reid. He would be cheap and a great player. But we didnt even begin negotiations with Burnett so it looks as though Jones is our guy whether you like it or not.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts