Will the Packers re-sign Nick Perry this off season?

• Yes

Votes: 23 74.2%
  • No

Votes: 8 25.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Even if you move him inside are you going to pay him almost 16 mill to play ILB? Even if he was Bobby Wagner it would be too much money.
Its just a big waste of $.

TT probably should of locked up Perry on a long term deal last year which would of relieved this pressure point at OLB but thats all water under the bridge.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
should resign perry have plenty of cap space and he's the best option the packers have unless someone besides Melvin Ingram becomes available. as for choosing Ingram over perry of he really better than perry and if so isorry the difference big enough to warrant the risk

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I think this is a situstion where you keep the guy thats been in your system if its even close. Perry being signed before March 7th would be a great thing.

If it he gets passed March 7th W/O a contract he could end up somewhere else. If this happens then they probably get stuck with paying Matthews all that money.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

TT probably should of locked up Perry on a long term deal last year which would of relieved this pressure point at OLB but thats all water under the bridge.

You're using hindsight to criticize Thompson not signing Perry to a long term deal last offseason though. A lot of Packers fans (me included) felt TT overpaid for him after his rookie deal expired after the 2015 season.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
You're using hindsight to criticize Thompson not signing Perry to a long term deal last offseason though. A lot of Packers fans (me included) felt TT overpaid for him after his rookie deal expired after the 2015 season.

Im not blaming TT for that. Perry had some concerns going in last year. Just saying with all the other contributing factors it would be nice to have him locked up right now. I think at the time TT made the right choice.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Matthews solely practiced and played inside for the entire 2015 season but was average at best. While it seems he might stay healthy moving there permanently he would be massively overpaid under his current contract.
Since we've got him and he most likely ain't going anywhere, no matter what we the fans think, I'd rather have an overpaid average or bit better Clay at ILB than an overpaid perennially injured, sidelined, or slowed Clay at OLB. We got more out of him the season he played ILB than we have the past few seasons when he was outside. And he's getting his money so while IMO he should get paid less, it ain't going to happen.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perry has all the leverage. If he walks the defense could get worse if that's possible. No way is Elliot or Fackrell ready to start. Perry knows that if he leaves, his 11 sacks and stout run defense go with him. It's not like TT would replace him with a FA. He knows that if he leaves, TT will try and replace him with a rookie. That might make sense if you had a rebuilding team, but with Rodgers, it makes no sense. On top of that the Packets have plenty of cap space. Why not just give Perry that cap space devoted to JP. He outperformed JP.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Perry has all the leverage. If he walks the defense could get worse if that's possible. No way is Elliot or Fackrell ready to start. Perry knows that if he leaves, his 11 sacks and stout run defense go with him. It's not like TT would replace him with a FA. He knows that if he leaves, TT will try and replace him with a rookie. That might make sense if you had a rebuilding team, but with Rodgers, it makes no sense. On top of that the Packets have plenty of cap space. Why not just give Perry that cap space devoted to JP. He outperformed JP.

This is true, if Perry walks its catastrophic and I see people Say well we will just get this guy or that guy if Perry walks but thats just not how TT rolls. Your right. He will draft a guy and then we will have to wait for this guy to develop and hope he does develop into a good player.

He will do the same thing at corner too. Its gonna be very hard to watch this disaster that is ahead.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perry is always hurt in some form or fashion..but as I've stated he's our best overall olb. He's very good against the run..better than Matthews. He's also stronger. Idk?? This one is tough. I wouldn't give him more than 8 per. As for CM3 moving back inside he'd have to accept 10-11 mil per year. That's even too much.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perry has pretty much hit his ceiling/potential, but if you expect him to be the next Von Miller expectations are way too high

He is what he was last year.. an 8-10 sack guy who can hold up against the run and is decent against pass coverage.. he's very solid and should be resigned

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Perry is always hurt in some form or fashion..but as I've stated he's our best overall olb. He's very good against the run..better than Matthews. He's also stronger. Idk?? This one is tough. I wouldn't give him more than 8 per. As for CM3 moving back inside he'd have to accept 10-11 mil per year. That's even too much.
That's all he's due to make anyway. The rest of his cap hit is prorated signing bonus. He or his estate gets that anyway. OKay it depends if his $1m workout and roster bonus are included with salary or not.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really waver on Perry. I liked how he played this past year, but am really struggling to figure out if he only plays when money is on the line or injuries were the prime reason he sucked for so long. Injuries certainly were a big part but I'm not sure that Perry will be motivated by much except the $$.

If I were TT, I would attempt to sign him to a two year contract and let him walk if others give him a better offer. I'm just not convinced that Perry can stay healthy and/or play at his 2016 level without the money carrot being dangled in front of his facemask.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really waver on Perry. I liked how he played this past year, but am really struggling to figure out if he only plays when money is on the line or injuries were the prime reason he sucked for so long. Injuries certainly were a big part but I'm not sure that Perry will be motivated by much except the $$.

If I were TT, I would attempt to sign him to a two year contract and let him walk if others give him a better offer. I'm just not convinced that Perry can stay healthy and/or play at his 2016 level without the money carrot being dangled in front of his facemask.

nah this is likely who Perry is... he's not going to be some monster sack artist with 5 interceptions all of a sudden and an All Pro... but he's a solid guy against the run and can get you 8-10 sacks a year

Of course it's all relative as who knows how "motivated" he may be... but this is his ceiling/potential/skillset

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Yeah I agree. One big season in a contract year is a red flag. It could be a coincidence that he was just finally healthy and putting things together. Internally, they'll have the best idea. They've had him around. If they let him walk, I'll bet it's for just that reason. But if you do that, what's the alternative? Jones and Ingram were both tagged. Good pass rushers generally don't get to market.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While it seems he might stay healthy moving there permanently he would be massively overpaid under his current contract.
He's massively overpaid even if he stays outside. I was concerned about Matthews being moved back to OLB, because I thought it might be leaving a hole on the inside. Now I think the reason that it was a mistake is because he isn't effective outside anymore - plus you have the increased injury risk.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I agree. One big season in a contract year is a red flag. It could be a coincidence that he was just finally healthy and putting things together. Internally, they'll have the best idea. They've had him around. If they let him walk, I'll bet it's for just that reason. But if you do that, what's the alternative? Jones and Ingram were both tagged. Good pass rushers generally don't get to market.

Best option would probably be a trade up in round one.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
But if you do that, what's the alternative? Jones and Ingram were both tagged. Good pass rushers generally don't get to market.

You dont let Perry walk. I would rather lock up Perry and overpay him then Matthews at this point. Release Matthews and move on while creating more cap space. Let Peppers go too. Re-sign Jones to a team friendly deal. Retain Elliot.

Go out and not target but sign Stephon Gilmore and you have a no.1 corner. Now you dont need to trade up in the draft. Target and draft Haason Red****. Now you got an instant three down player that can add more athleticism in the middle of D on early downs that you can also pop out and rush from outside on passing down along with having good coverage skills. Draft a development corner in 3rd round that you could get lucky on. There are several I like.

Continue to use extra cap space to add some depth on the D-line and along the roster

Problems solved!

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You dont let Perry walk. I would rather lock up Perry and overpay him then Matthews at this point. Release Matthews and move on while creating more cap space. Let Peppers go too. Re-sign Jones to a team friendly deal. Retain Elliot.

Go out and not target but sign Stephon Gilmore and you have a no.1 corner. Now you dont need to trade up in the draft. Target and draft Haason Red****. Now you got an instant three down player that can add more athleticism in the middle of D on early downs that you can also pop out and rush from outside on passing down along with having good coverage skills. Draft a development corner in 3rd round that you get could get lucky on. There are several I like.

Continue to use extra cap space to add some depth on the D-line and along the roster

Problems solved!

I would prefer to keep both Matthews and Perry (releasing Clay next year for cap space), then move up in the draft for a pass rushing OLB.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Or Harris, Mckinnley, Red****; seems to be a good year for pass rushers.

Probably wont need to trade up for Harris or Mckinnley as he is having surgery after combine i guess. I think Harris is a safe pick.

I like Red**** so much becauae he is a "trifecta". He can add speed inside. He can rush from outside and also has good coverage skills. We've needed a guy like this forever.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
They need to give this whole ugly pig defense a makeover and it starts with getting guys that can make plays on the opponents side of scrimage and that can play in space.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

Since we've got him and he most likely ain't going anywhere, no matter what we the fans think, I'd rather have an overpaid average or bit better Clay at ILB than an overpaid perennially injured, sidelined, or slowed Clay at OLB. We got more out of him the season he played ILB than we have the past few seasons when he was outside. And he's getting his money so while IMO he should get paid less, it ain't going to happen.

That's all he's due to make anyway. The rest of his cap hit is prorated signing bonus. He or his estate gets that anyway. OKay it depends if his $1m workout and roster bonus are included with salary or not.

Even at $11 million Matthews would be the second highest paid inside linebacker in the league behind Kuechly. That would be absolutely ridiculous for an average player at the position.

I think being healthy last season was a huge factor in Perry performing on a high level. He already played in a contract year in 2015 but had only 3.5 sacks while battling injuries.

OP
OP
JLW_51

JLW_51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ingram was tagged, so he isn't going anywhere. Will be interesting, the top 2 3-4 OLBs in free agency were tagged, the next one, Perry, might get a lot of money from another team.

Members online

Latest posts